Official Georgetown Hoyas Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Re: Official Georgetown Hoyas Thread 

Post#201 » by Rafael122 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:32 pm

JT 3 is not getting fired. I think he needs to put on the full court press when it comes to big time recruits though. I mean he's getting the 4 star recruits, but I'm talking, program changing recruits.

OR

He needs to change his offensive scheme. The princeton does not work in a tournament.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#202 » by Wizardspride » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:28 pm

Rafael122 wrote:JT 3 is not getting fired. I think he needs to put on the full court press when it comes to big time recruits though. I mean he's getting the 4 star recruits, but I'm talking, program changing recruits.

OR

He needs to change his offensive scheme. The princeton does not work in a tournament.

This is the truth.....
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#203 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:58 pm

jmrosenth wrote:^That happened. It wasn't so much losing, it was the way they lost. They were down close to 20 in the 2nd half, getting run out of the gym by a school nobody had ever heard of. Big ups to FGCU - they weren't scurrred at ALL, and just swaggered the hell out of the Hoyas. This didn't same very fluky to me - FGCU has players and are well coached - he's going to move up to a bigger program for sure.

FGCUs coach made a Victoria Secret model his wife. Before he pulled her he was a successful Wall Street executive. His wife says he's the most confident man she knows.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... ncaab.html

Meet Amanda Marcum Enfield, wife of Enfield and legit supermodel. You can bet she'll be all over Friday's telecast when GCSU plays, Katherine Webb-style. In addition to that Maxim cover there at right, she's been on the covers of Elle and Vogue, and in ads for Victoria's Secret and more. She and Enfield met when he gave her a ride from New York City to Boston to watch the Oklahoma State Cowboys in — synchronicity alert — the 2003 NCAA Tournament. The ride was apparently pleasant enough that the two were engaged six months later.

There's a reason those white dudes were dunking on Georgetown's brothas. They have their coach's swagger, apparently.
Bye bye Beal.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#204 » by Higga » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:52 pm

Georgetown plays a conservative defensive style. When you don't score points, you're vulnerable to losing to a hot shooting mid major. Even worse when basically only one guy on your team can score in Otto Porter.

No way JT3 should get fired. He's a great coach. Duke as a 2 seed lost to a 15 seed as well. Crazy things happen in March.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#205 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:40 pm

So apparently JT 3 told a four star recruit, Dewayne Morgan that JT 3 would be more committed to an uptempo style of offense if Wise committed to Georgetown. I'm trying to find out if he told the recruit this after or before the tournament started. It wasn't until Georgetown went run and gun that they almost got back into the game. That's the problem with his offense, it kinda hides these kids talents, happened to Monroe, Green, and it's going to happen to Porter too. The only guy who might have benefited was Hibbert since he was a 7 footer.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#206 » by Wizardspride » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:02 pm

Rafael122 wrote:So apparently JT 3 told a four star recruit, Dewayne Morgan that JT 3 would be more committed to an uptempo style of offense if Wise committed to Georgetown. I'm trying to find out if he told the recruit this after or before the tournament started. It wasn't until Georgetown went run and gun that they almost got back into the game. That's the problem with his offense, it kinda hides these kids talents, happened to Monroe, Green, and it's going to happen to Porter too. The only guy who might have benefited was Hibbert since he was a 7 footer.

Did you read this somewhere or were you told this?

Edit: I found the the source.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#207 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:So apparently JT 3 told a four star recruit, Dewayne Morgan that JT 3 would be more committed to an uptempo style of offense if Wise committed to Georgetown. I'm trying to find out if he told the recruit this after or before the tournament started. It wasn't until Georgetown went run and gun that they almost got back into the game. That's the problem with his offense, it kinda hides these kids talents, happened to Monroe, Green, and it's going to happen to Porter too. The only guy who might have benefited was Hibbert since he was a 7 footer.

Did you read this somewhere or were you told this?

Edit: I found the the source.

I found it on Twitter, I believe Casual Hoya is the source, but not sure.But this kid is probably heading to UNLV.
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#208 » by jmrosenth » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

It's kinda silly to say his offense has hid the talents of Monroe, Green, and Porter. It's actually just plain wrong. Porter is a player of the year candidate and so was Jeff Green if I recall.

That said, he doesn't need a specific 4-star recruit to go up-tempo. He already recruits those kinds of kids.
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#209 » by DCZards » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:44 pm

G'Town's offense works well when you have a good (or great) passing center or forward like Green, Monroe or Simms finding teammates on back door cuts. It doesn't work as well when you're depending on Hopkins, Ayegba or Lubbick to make those passes.

I thought JT 3 made a serious tactical error when he sat Starks for several minutes in the middle of the first half because he was worried about him picking up his second foul. Starks has fouled out in the past and he's a key player to have around at the end of games, but I'm surprised JT sat him with only one foul.

Starks was already "doing work"...knocking down shots and getting to the basket when JT benched him, and I'm pretty certain the Hoyas were up by 6-7 pts. at the time. The score was tied by the time JT got Starks back into the game.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#210 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:45 pm

jmrosenth wrote:It's kinda silly to say his offense has hid the talents of Monroe, Green, and Porter. It's actually just plain wrong. Porter is a player of the year candidate and so was Jeff Green if I recall.

That said, he doesn't need a specific 4-star recruit to go up-tempo. He already recruits those kinds of kids.

No one knew, and still doesn't know what position Jeff Green is best at (and this dates back to college). You look at the top tier teams, they have elite recruits, and their offense is orchestrated to show off their talents (Kentucky, Indiana, etc). Here, he runs the Princeton, lots of cuts, screens, etc, and that's great, but if these kids are 4 star recruits, show them off. Tweak the offense a bit to show why they're 4 star recruits. I think it's a testament to how talented the guys I mentioned are, that they were able to become lottery picks in spite of them being "hidden" in his offense.
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#211 » by jmrosenth » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:50 pm

Again Sorry Raf, but I don't get your argument. The Jeff Green position thing is a red herring in this context. To say that Jeff Green or Otto Porter were "hidden" doesn't make any sense IMO. Not sure how guys can be hidden, be player of the year candidates, and lottery picks.
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]

i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.

[/quote]
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#212 » by DCZards » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:05 pm

jmrosenth wrote:Again Sorry Raf, but I don't get your argument. The Jeff Green position thing is a red herring in this context. To say that Jeff Green or Otto Porter were "hidden" doesn't make any sense IMO. Not sure how guys can be hidden, be player of the year candidates, and lottery picks.

If anything, both Green and Porter rose from relative obscurity in high school (not 4 star recruits) to lottery picks under JT 3. So their talents certainly weren't "hidden" as a result of playing at GTown.
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#213 » by DMVleGeND » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:37 pm

DCZards wrote:
jmrosenth wrote:Again Sorry Raf, but I don't get your argument. The Jeff Green position thing is a red herring in this context. To say that Jeff Green or Otto Porter were "hidden" doesn't make any sense IMO. Not sure how guys can be hidden, be player of the year candidates, and lottery picks.

If anything, both Green and Porter rose from relative obscurity in high school (not 4 star recruits) to lottery picks under JT 3. So their talents certainly weren't "hidden" as a result of playing at GTown.

Porter was a 4 star recruit.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#214 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:46 pm

http://www.covers.com/articles/articles ... Art=307826

It’s surprising to still see Georgetown as big as this after stringing together seven straight wins and losing just once in its last 10 conference games. The Hoyas are contending for the Big East regular season crown and a top seed in the NCAA, locking down foes to just 55.7 points a night. While the Princeton offense may cloud Georgetown’s talent, guys like Otto Porter and Markel Starks can turn it on and carry this team.

http://bustingbrackets.com/2013/01/09/j ... own-hoyas/

For a team replete with schoolyard ballers, Georgetown’s offense is too formulaic. Thompson’s system inadvertently quells the one-on-one skills and individual freedom that make Otto Porter, Greg Whittington and Markel Starks who they are—namely, coveted players. The philosophy is counterproductive, no less ineffective than giving Picasso instructions on how to paint.

Teams bereft of top-level talent must generate synergy by way of more intricate systems. It’s why so many mid-majors run zones and complex offenses while NBA teams stick to largely amorphous systems. Teams with upper echelon talent need freedom to flourish. Anything to the contrary impedes, not facilitates.

The 2nd article basically makes my point. Porter, Monroe, et al, those guys are all talented players, succeeded in spite of his offensive system. Point is, when these guys have the leashes off and have more freedom to do stuff, their talent flourishes. Porter was great for the Hoyas, but he could have been better.

It's no wonder why JT 3 had to promise a recruit to run a faster style offense. It's got a stigma attached to it. Ironically enough, I think Noel would have flourished, and Smith, if he loses weight, might turn himself into a first round pick next year.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#215 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:01 pm

I would have liked to have seen what Porter and a healthy Whittington could have done together on a team that runs and doesn't run the offense through the center. On the occasions that Porter has had transition opportunities that I've seen, he looked very impressive.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#216 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:42 pm

Ruzious wrote:I would have liked to have seen what Porter and a healthy Whittington could have done together on a team that runs and doesn't run the offense through the center. On the occasions that Porter has had transition opportunities that I've seen, he looked very impressive.

Yep! When they did a bit of run and gun against FGCU, they cut the lead down to like 8, but it was too late for them to make a run. All of those guys looked impressive. I don't think JT 3 needs to completely abandon his scheme, but he needs to loosen the reigns a bit. He's getting kids to the pros, which is great for the program, but they can be better.
Higga
Lead Assistant

Post#217 » by Higga » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:07 pm

I think people are a bit too tough on Georgetown. So much of what happens in the tournament is sheer randomness. And it wasn't like they lost to scrub teams. VCU made the Final Four the year they beat Georgetown. Davidson made the Elite 8. Florida Gulf Coast looks really good. It could be that Georgetown has just gotten really bad draws these last few years. I almost think they'd be better off getting a lower seed because their style of play always keeps the opponent in the game unless they just play a really bad game(see Syracuse in the regular season finale).
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#218 » by Rafael122 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:22 pm

Higga wrote:I think people are a bit too tough on Georgetown. So much of what happens in the tournament is sheer randomness. And it wasn't like they lost to scrub teams. VCU made the Final Four the year they beat Georgetown. Davidson made the Elite 8. Florida Gulf Coast looks really good. It could be that Georgetown has just gotten really bad draws these last few years. I almost think they'd be better off getting a lower seed because their style of play always keeps the opponent in the game unless they just play a really bad game(see Syracuse in the regular season finale).

The offensive scheme JT 3 runs is fine during the season but in a 1 game playoff, win or go home, an offensive predicated on not blowing people out and keeping your opponents in the game? Change it up. And it sounds like he's willing to loosen the reigns a bit.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#219 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:47 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
Higga wrote:I think people are a bit too tough on Georgetown. So much of what happens in the tournament is sheer randomness. And it wasn't like they lost to scrub teams. VCU made the Final Four the year they beat Georgetown. Davidson made the Elite 8. Florida Gulf Coast looks really good. It could be that Georgetown has just gotten really bad draws these last few years. I almost think they'd be better off getting a lower seed because their style of play always keeps the opponent in the game unless they just play a really bad game(see Syracuse in the regular season finale).

The offensive scheme JT 3 runs is fine during the season but in a 1 game playoff, win or go home, an offensive predicated on not blowing people out and keeping your opponents in the game? Change it up. And it sounds like he's willing to loosen the reigns a bit.

I agree, the Princeton offense was created for Princeton to keep the game low scoring so they can beat teams with more talent. That's the flaw in a talented team like the Hoyas running it vs teams they are better than. Less possessions means a bigger opportunity for an upset.
Higga
Lead Assistant

Post#220 » by Higga » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:57 pm

Rafael122 wrote:

Yep exactly. It's like Marty Schottenheimer in the NFL. He wasn't "cursed", he lost because he played a conservative style which naturally keeps the opponent in the game and all it takes is a play here, a play there in a one game elimination to knock you out.

Return to Washington Wizards