ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Georgetown Hoyas Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Official Georgetown Hoyas Thread 

Post#1 » by Wizardspride » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:24 pm

Tyler Adams to Georgetown; Former Duke Commit Picks Hoyas Over Mississippi State

Mississippi big man Tyler Adams has committed to Georgetown, according to ESPN's Dave Telep. Adams is listed as the 5th best center and 54th best player in the Class of 2011 by Rivals.

He had originally given a verbal commitment to Duke in April but chose to attend Georgetown's Midnight Madness rather than the festivities staged by the Blue Devils. He withdrew his commitment to Duke in late October and was recently deciding between Georgetown and Mississippi State before announcing his intentions to come to the Hilltop next fall.

Some Duke fans will certainly cry foul play, and make feeble attempts to differentiate this situation from the recruitment of Austin Rivers, who was committed to Florida when he took an unofficial visit to Durham, subsequently reopening his recruitment and later committing to Duke. Others will realize that the fickle verbal commitments of 17 year old high school players are often subject to change and the recruiting game involves attaining and now maintaining verbal commitments. Adams chose to reevaluate his initial college choice and wanted to explore more options. Given his prior connection to new Georgetown assistant coach Robert Kirby, and the program's recent history of sending big men to the NBA, the Hoyas were a natural choice. Plenty of other rumors are out there regarding Adams' decision, some make more sense than others depending on your school allegiance.

I admit that I was initially disappointed to learn that Georgetown was involved with a player that had committed to another program, and the fact that Duke had done something similar with Austin Rivers was not a justifiable reason. I do trust, however, that Thompson the Third and staff acted ethically, and I realize that the recruiting game is quickly changing as verbal commitments are often meaningless. To quote the venerable Omar: "The game's out there, and it's play or get played."

Since coming to the Hilltop, John Thompson III has battled Mike Krzyzewski for many recruits, including Greg Monroe, Hollis Thompson, Josh Hairston and Tyler Thornton. The Tyler Adams saga will certainly add more fuel to the recruiting fire as both programs continue to pursue the similar types of players. This makes for an interesting story line for the 2011 Maui Invitational, which features both the Hoyas and Blue Devils.

For Georgetown, the Adams commitment continues an incredible turnaround in Hoya recruiting. After a dismal summer, Georgetown has secured four commitments in the last two months, including an under-the-radar wing in Jabril Trawick, a top center in Mikael Hopkins, and a rising star in Brandon Bolden. Considering the quality of players who attended Georgetown's Midnight Madness, the future is bright for Hoya Basketball. Georgetown now has one scholarship left in 2011 and two in 2012, and is actively pursuing a number of top-rated recruits, including guards Kyle Anderson and James Robinson and big man Daniel Ochefu.

Hoya Saxa.

President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Re: Official 2010-2011 Georgetown Hoyas Thread 

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:16 pm

5-0 to start the season. Their first big test comes on the 30th when they take on 15th ranked missouri. This will definitely be one of those years whee if the Hoyas just win 19 games and maybe pick up 1 tournament win, they could go to the dance. Their out of conference schedule this year is brutal.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#3 » by closg00 » Wed Dec 1, 2010 11:31 am

GTown knocks-off # 9 Missouri :clap: Who would have thought that a team w/o a center would be doing this-well?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by Rafael122 » Wed Dec 1, 2010 2:11 pm

Probably one of the bigger wins they have had. I'd rank it up there against beating Duke at home a few years back, but this is different. Ranked team, on the road in a hostile environment. Freeman is playing out of his mind right. I wonder if he is a legit 1st round pick?
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#5 » by Wizardspride » Wed Dec 1, 2010 4:14 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Probably one of the bigger wins they have had. I'd rank it up there against beating Duke at home a few years back, but this is different. Ranked team, on the road in a hostile environment. Freeman is playing out of his mind right. I wonder if he is a legit 1st round pick?

Actually, Chris Wright is considered the better NBA prospect.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Top ... -15--3570/

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Top ... -10--3569/
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Rafael122 » Wed Dec 1, 2010 4:21 pm

Interesting, I figured Freeman would be b/c of the height advantages. Wright is what...5'11''?
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#7 » by Wizardspride » Wed Dec 1, 2010 4:26 pm

http://www.therecruitscoop.com/jabril-t ... georgetown

Jabril Trawick Commits to Georgetown

Jabril Trawick, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard from Abington Friends High School in Pennsylvania, has seen his stock rise over the last year. Trawick was a virtual unknown a few years ago. Now he is one of the top seniors in the Philadelphia area.

This weekend, the guard went on an official visit to Georgetown. He came out a Hoya. “I just committed to Georgetown,” Trawick said by text. Georgetown coach John Thompson III and staff were very pleased with what they saw this summer out of Jabril. They offered during the July live period.

“The coaching staff and the group of players that I will be playing with is a big reason why I chose Georgetown,” Trawick stated. “The time we will get on television is awesome and I really like the Verizon Center. There are a lot of connections there, it’s like a pipeline.” Jabril will also see some significant minutes early on. “(Current Hoyas) Austin and Chris are leaving and I’m going to fill in.” He also commented on the location, “It’s a good location; it’s not to far from home.”
As the Philly native is the first commitment for the class of 2011, Georgetown looks to head in the right direction with this commitment. During his official visit, Trawick got to see and experience the Georgetown lifestyle. “I got to play pickup with former Hoya, Roy Hibbert,” he stated. “It was a good time.”

Jabril was down to the Big East school and Florida State. This time, the Hoya’s came up big and received a commitment from a guard who has NBA potential.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#8 » by Wizardspride » Wed Dec 1, 2010 4:28 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Interesting, I figured Freeman would be b/c of the height advantages. Wright is what...5'11''?

He's listed as 6-1 but I doubt that.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#9 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 1, 2010 5:55 pm

Freeman is a legitimately GREAT college player, but I don't think he'll make it in the NBA. If he does, he'll have to break stereotypes, because there just aren't any players in the NBA with his body type combined with medicore athleticism. I think his only chance is if he gets locked in with a great conditioning coach who lowers his body fat % to something ridiculously low.

Wright is a completely different story, imo. If he can keep his assists up to 6 plus a game and keep up his 3 pt shooting %, he's a legit NBA prospect. Physically, he can match up with the elite quick/fast PG's in the NBA - he's physically like an inch shorter Derrick Rose - remember when they matched up as freshman. I think his stock has been hurt by playing in the Princeton offense, but now that it looks like he's developed well in it, it actually helps his value - since he's been forced to develop his half-court PG skills.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
closg00
RealGM

Post#10 » by closg00 » Wed Dec 1, 2010 6:40 pm

If NJ has to give-up Harris in a potential Melo trade, a PG like Wright could look good to NJ since they run the Princeton.

Nice score on nabbing Jabril, thanks Wiz
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 1, 2010 6:45 pm

Jabril Trawick? Sounds like a name JRR Tolkien might have made up. :o
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#12 » by Wizardspride » Wed Dec 1, 2010 7:11 pm

JT 3 is recruiting his butt off.

http://www.casualhoya.com/2010/10/15/17 ... georgetown

Class of 2012 Big Man Brandon Bolden Commits To Georgetown

Midnight Madness is off to a great start. Brandon Bolden, a 6'10" center from the Crozet Miller School in Virginia, has committed to Georgetown per Nationwide Nolan's Twitter.

Bolden, a member of the class of 2012, is a huge get for John Thompson III and staff. Georgetown continues to recruit well in its backyard, adding Mikael Hopkins and Bolden over the past two weeks.

More to follow as we learn more information, but for now enjoy Midnight Madness and know that Georgetown continues to build on the successes of the past few years.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#13 » by Wizardspride » Wed Dec 1, 2010 7:16 pm

http://thearenapulse.blogspot.com/2010/ ... etown.html

Mikael Hopkins is Headed to Georgetown

It will not be easy for John Thompson III and Georgetown to replace all the things their former big man, Greg Monroe, did for them in the past. And although they may not be able to solve that problem this season, they may be able to take a step in the right direction with their newest addition.

The Georgetown Hoyas have landed the verbal commitment of ESPNU Top 100 prospect Mikael Hopkins. The 2011 big man is considered as the eighth best propsect at the center position in the class, as well as the 72nd best player in the nation overall, according to ESPNU.

Hopkins, a 6-foot-8 native of Hyattsville, Maryland is long and athletic and has great potential because of his shot blocking and ability to outrun his defensive match-ups in transition.

As Hopkins prepares for his senior season at DeMatha Catholic H.S. (MD), the Hoyas enter the 2010-2011 season coming off an upset and season-ending loss at the hands of 14th seeded Ohio in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

The Hoyas now boasts a pair of recruits for 2011. Jabril Trawick committed in September to play for G'town and now will be joined by Hopkins, as well. The decision to head to Washington D.C. with his collegiate decision was one that Hopkins felt was best for him, choosing Georgetown over Kansas, Ohio State, West Virginia, and Virginia Tech.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Rafael122 » Wed Dec 1, 2010 7:24 pm

I hate to turn this into a Maryland/Georgetown debate, but if its so easy for JT 3 to recruit in the area, why can't Gary Williams do the same?
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#15 » by Wizardspride » Wed Dec 1, 2010 7:33 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I hate to turn this into a Maryland/Georgetown debate, but if its so easy for JT 3 to recruit in the area, why can't Gary Williams do the same?

Gary got a big recruit for next season in Nick Faust (from Baltimore) but yeah, overall he doesn't seem to get the bigtime recruits in this area.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#16 » by DCZards » Wed Dec 1, 2010 8:23 pm

closg00 wrote:GTown knocks-off # 9 Missouri :clap: Who would have thought that a team w/o a center would be doing this-well?

I'm not surprised by how good the Hoyas are this season. They might not have a top center, but you would be hard pressed to find another team with three better guards than Wright, Freeman and Clark--all local kids. That trio's experience and talent will make the Hoyas a dangerous team both during the regular season and during March Madness.

Check out this DC sports blog for more on the Hoya trio: http://www.dcsportsforever.com
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 1, 2010 8:24 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I hate to turn this into a Maryland/Georgetown debate, but if its so easy for JT 3 to recruit in the area, why can't Gary Williams do the same?

If you were sincere, you wouldn't have posted that; right? :lol:
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#18 » by Wizardspride » Wed Dec 1, 2010 9:11 pm

Ruzious wrote:

If you were sincere, you wouldn't have posted that; right? :lol:

He's just speaking the truth. :)
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#19 » by Wizardspride » Wed Dec 1, 2010 9:15 pm

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... iel-ochefu

Daniel Ochefu
CENTER
CLASS: 2012

OVERALL RANK: 11

POSITION RANK: 5

CONSIDERING: Georgetown Hoyas

Strengths:
Daniel is a skilled post player. He is multi-skilled and can do a lot of things on the basketball court. Offensively he is a solid face up shooter with range to 15 feet. He can score with his back to the basket on the block but prefers to face the basket to score. He is a solid shooter with range to 17 feet. Ochefu is a good ball handler. He is comfortable with the ball in space and is an excellent passer. He is a good rebounder who is capable of grabbing a rebound and leading the break when the opportunity presents itself. Defensively he is a very good shot blocker and understands individual and team defensive concepts.

Weaknesses:
Continue to add strength and work on his running form. Ochefu needs to increase his running stride which will help get more easy baskets when he rim runs. Although Ochefu has good move he gets off balance at times. He needs to widen his base which will help him smooth out his moves and be more under control. He could also be a better out of area rebounder because he has the mobility to do so.

Bottom Line:
Ochefu is a true post with great size and good skill. He can score in the post and face where he is very affective in the mid wing areas off the catch or with a couple straight line dribbles. He is an excellent passer under stress for a post and good decision maker. Ochefu is a good area rebounder on both ends as well. Ochefu has tremendous upside and could be an immediate impact player on the college level.
closg00
RealGM

Post#20 » by closg00 » Wed Dec 1, 2010 9:19 pm

Wow! GTown recruitment is on a roll, we are set for March Madness trips for years :clap:

Return to Washington Wizards