ImageImageImageImageImage

GT - Portland Trail Blazers @ Washington (12-3-2010)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Who will lose?

Your Washington Wizards?
29%
Or the Blazers?
71%

Total votes: 7

dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Re: GT - Portland Trail Blazers @ Washington (12-3-2010) 

Post#161 » by dlts20 » Sat Dec 4, 2010 2:59 am

tontoz wrote:
dlts20 wrote:Good Win, But........
you already know what Im going to talk about. I just dont get why Kirk has to start over Gil. Kirk is the perfect backup PG. Look at our starting lineup tonight. We dont have 1 consistent scorer on the floor. Our 2 most money scorers are Gil & NY and Flip wants to bring both off the bench.

When was the last time both guys were brought off the bench? It didn't happen tonight.

because NY was hurt and missed the game
dlts20
RealGM

Post#162 » by dlts20 » Sat Dec 4, 2010 3:00 am

lol, did you hear what Flip just said? He's such a tool. He talked about how Gil talked with Sam before the season about wanting to come off the bench and how it would be best for the team but when it came around to really doing it, I dont know if he still felt that way.

Basically its just what I thought. Gil was saying that stuff just to be a good team guy but didnt think Flip was dumb enough to really do it, espically after he had been in the starting lineup all this time now and has had some big games. Atleast bench him for a star or a guy like Wall but you dont bench him for Hinrich.

He could play well out West but it still wont be what it couldve been if starting. If he gets 30 off the bench against the Suns, that is a game where he wouldve got 45 if he was starting but Flip will be too dumb to even realize that
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#163 » by tontoz » Sat Dec 4, 2010 3:07 am

dlts20 wrote:
tontoz wrote:
dlts20 wrote:Good Win, But........
you already know what Im going to talk about. I just dont get why Kirk has to start over Gil. Kirk is the perfect backup PG. Look at our starting lineup tonight. We dont have 1 consistent scorer on the floor. Our 2 most money scorers are Gil & NY and Flip wants to bring both off the bench.

When was the last time both guys were brought off the bench? It didn't happen tonight.

because NY was hurt and missed the game

You didnt answer the question.

Did it occur to you that Young being out might have been the reason Gil didn't start? You are complaining about something that isn't even happening. Arenas had started 9 straight games.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#164 » by DMVleGeND » Sat Dec 4, 2010 3:08 am

Great game by the Wiz. Great D too. They played with high energy, and played great interior D.

I was impressed with Blatche tonight. He has gotten bashed A LOT this season and it has been warranted, but tonight, he played good defense. He obviously isn't in the best shape physically, but today, he didn't just let his defender waltz by him like in other games. He stayed in front of his man the best he could and bodied them. His shot selection was solid too. Very good game from AB.

I was VERY impressed with McGee. He NEVER takes plays off and blocks shots like a mad-man. He will only get better too. As he gets stronger and adds post moves to his offensive repertoire, he can become an all-star.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
clancy
Senior
And1: 1

Post#165 » by clancy » Sat Dec 4, 2010 3:09 am

dlts20 wrote:lol, did you hear what Flip just said? He's such a tool. He talked about how Gil talked with Sam before the season about wanting to come off the bench and how it would be best for the team but when it came around to really doing it, I dont know if he still felt that way.

Basically its just what I thought. Gil was saying that stuff just to be a good team guy but didnt think Flip was dumb enough to really do it, espically after he had been in the starting lineup all this time now and has had some big games. Atleast bench him for a star or a guy like Wall but you dont bench him for Hinrich.

He could play well out West but it still wont be what it couldve been if starting. If he gets 30 off the bench against the Suns, that is a game where he wouldve got 45 if he was starting but Flip will be too dumb to even realize that

You know, it's kind of fascinating to watch you reinterpret everything to match your definitions of Flip as an idiot. Seems like it must be hard work.
dlts20
RealGM

Post#166 » by dlts20 » Sat Dec 4, 2010 3:14 am

tontoz, Gil also started 9 games because Wall was hurt. Flip already said it had nothing to do with NY being out. Hopefully he wises up for next game but if you guys think its smart to start Kirk over Gil or that it doesnt matter then you guys dont know basketball at all. There is a reason why Gil kept coming in early.

The Lakers are good enough to win games with Kobe coming off the bench also but they arent dumb enough to think thats there best lineup or that it helps the team more
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#167 » by tontoz » Sat Dec 4, 2010 3:28 am

dlts20 wrote:tontoz, Gil also started 9 games because Wall was hurt. Flip already said it had nothing to do with NY being out. Hopefully he wises up for next game but if you guys think its smart to start Kirk over Gil or that it doesnt matter then you guys dont know basketball at all. There is a reason why Gil kept coming in early.

If Wall hadn't gotten hurt in the Philly game they probably would have started together since then. they started together the very next game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=301125001

If anything Flip has played Arenas too much since he is still working himself back into game shape. You can't expect Arenas to come through in crunch time if he is already gassed. Maybe Flip finally realizes this.

With all the injuries Flip has had to juggle the lineup. I don't see the big problem.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#168 » by pineappleheadindc » Sat Dec 4, 2010 3:30 am

Moding this board is maddening. This is like the era where MJ came back and played for the Wiz. The John Wall fanboy posts almost trigger an anti-Wall feeling in me because of their general....well, let me say that it's like reading a board full of MJForever/Troy Wingates.

For all the guys harping about the starting backcourt.

- WTF. Name one game we lost because of Flip's choices on the starting backcourt. Just one.

- Wall had a very pedestrian game (2 dimes and how many TOs?) Yet you blindly ignore it.

The Wiz have bigger problems. Lots of them. Who starts in the backcourt is priority number 1,000,000. Particularly since everyone gets theirl minutes, starting or off the bench.

Worry about the bigger issues - interior D, inability to play with energy on the road, trying to find a real predictable rotation in the midst of injuries galore. In short, start thinking about the name on the front of the jersey, not the back.

:sigh:
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#169 » by nate33 » Sat Dec 4, 2010 3:53 am

The numbers may not show it, but that was, by far, Blatche's best game of the season. He was fantastic on defense until the last 3 minutes when he was gassed. He completely shut Aldridge down and did a very nice job on defensive rotations. I haven't seen him this active on D since... since... ever.

This is what we need out of him defensively every night. He really took pride in his D, and surprise surprise, we won the game and had the best team defensive effort of the season. Blatche also tied for the team lead in on/off differential (a stat in which he has showed poorly all season).
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#170 » by Hoopalotta » Sat Dec 4, 2010 4:14 am

Good to know, all I saw was the last six minutes and I was worried about the defensive interior. Dray definitely had some clutch scoring down the stretch there too, which bodes well for confidence. Ice-man free throws and that little fast-break dippsy doodle where Mathews thought he was going to take the charge and just ended up standing there with a scoop dropped over top.

The offensive rebounds crashed on us were concerning in the close out, but it sounds like that wasn't an issue for the majority of it.

All told, not bad. The record on the home court now compares favorably with some of the better teams in the league.

While it might be getting a bit overstressed, I will say I am surprised to see Hiney starting and going for 35 minutes again here. I'm not saying that this had any real effect on anything tonight, but let's just say I didn't see this coming over the summer. If we're still talking about this a month from now, the board is not going to be renowned for mirthful exchanges amongst dispassionate patrons.

Gil's shooting has really got to be a concern now. Just looking at the shot chart on ESPN, you're going to be streaky putting up that many shots from the perimeter. On the Hoopdata numbers, Gil is ranked 88th out of the 100 guys listed for total shots at the rim amongst anyone who played 30 or more minutes. That's 1.7 attempts at the rim a game, right ahead of guys like Mayo, Shart Lewis and Battier. He would need to almost double that figure to move into being around the middle of the pack there. Of course Hinrich is 95th on that measure. :D

http://www.hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx? ... =0&mins=30

(you might have to shift around on that link as it started crashing on me)
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#171 » by nate33 » Sat Dec 4, 2010 4:21 am

Hoopalotta, Gilbert got into foul trouble late in the game. Flip had to pull Gil for a couple of minutes midway through the 4th when he picked up his 5th foul, and then Gil fouled out with about 2 minutes left. Hinrich also did a nice job defensively on Roy in the second half (after getting lit up a bit in the 2nd quarter).

Also, Portland is pretty small at small forward so Flip used the 3-guard lineup quite a bit - which was excusable since our offense was sputtering and Nick Young was hurt.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#172 » by dandridge 10 » Sat Dec 4, 2010 4:31 am

Just got back from the game. A couple of observations:

1. For all the crap he gets, Hiney played a good game. He was scrappy on D and really shut Roy down in the second half.

2. Somebody mentioned this before, but I think Gil's struggling with his shot because of his leg or legs. For many of his shots, it just seems like he is using his upper body to shoot and often fading away a little. In the few times he used his legs to get into his jump shot and rose straight up, he made them. I think he is still a little conscious of his knee and this is effecting his shot. I've had the same problem when I have experienced tendinitis in my knee...it really can screw up your shot.

3. Blatche had a decent game, but lets see if he can bring the effort every night, or at least more consistently.

4. McGee needs to work on defensive rebounding, but the kid is improving and he makes a large difference when he is on the floor. The thing I love about McGee is that the effort is always there. If he keeps getting stronger and keeps learning the game, McGee and Wall will be household names in a few years.

5. Wall struggled tonight and I didn't like his body language. However, it tightened down on defense in the second half.

6. The refs sucked monkey balls tonight. They were letting the Blazers get away with murder on D, but call ticky tack fouls on us on the other end.

7 I had two girl Blazer fans sitting right behind during the game and they were annoying as hell. They wouldn't shut up and it was like fingernails on a chalk board. I liked the fact that the Wizards won so they could go home unhappy.
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#173 » by BanndNDC » Sat Dec 4, 2010 5:30 am

Glad to see Blatche play well. He's been playing with a lot more energy the past few games (even that one we're trying to forget) and it was good to see it pay off. also liked him telling mcgee to just grab and hold the ball on some of those rebounds.

wasnt concerned with the rebound stats as there were a lot of tipped balls out there and sometimes they bounced the wrong way. also the refs were letting them play inside and fight for the ball. as much as i wish they'd always let that stuff go i know that in most games there'd be dozens of foul calls on those plays and im not sure which way they'd go.

yi played alright as well. our bigs won the game for us. not very happy with martin (despite his 3) and wanted to kill hinrich after he dribbled around for the entire shot clock and took a bad shot with 3 minutes left. miss thornton. young's jacket was hideously tacky but he did a good job encouraging blatche and arenas from the bench.

loved the blatche technical overrule. hilarious. the second ref basically came in and said, he had a good reason to be complaining. doubt he would have done that if the other guy hadnt called the tech.

ugly game but we won and we fought. good bounceback.
Until Grunfeld goes there is no rebuild.
DallasShalDune
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#174 » by DallasShalDune » Sat Dec 4, 2010 5:54 am

If we get a poll, I'm voting Blatche. He really played well tonight.
Jay81
Starter
And1: 473

Post#175 » by Jay81 » Sat Dec 4, 2010 5:55 am

DallasShalDune wrote:If we get a poll, I'm voting Blatche. He really played well tonight.

i think the player of the game tonight is Portland. they missed like 125 shots
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#176 » by willbcocks » Sat Dec 4, 2010 8:21 am

I was going to write a longer summary defending Blatche from the inevitable attacks, but since everyone seemed to watch the same game I did, no real point. He played an excellent game, including the first half where he only scored 3 points. That is especially significant because he usually saves his worst overall efforts for when he isn't logging any points. Our team really needs him to play well for us to succeed.

It was fun to watch the defense. They need to bring that defensive energy on the road.

Wall was terrible, but hey, he's a rookie. I have a feeling he really needs one or two NBA offseasons to work on his game. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit like Chris Paul, with people doubting him or thinking he's overrated by the end of this year, then 2 years later he's in the MVP conversation.

Gil and Wall continue to be ineffective together. The injuries have made me postpone drawing permanent conclusions yet, but if they don't get it together in another 10 games or so, I'm going to be worried.

Man, Portland was like the IT team for a while when it came to acquiring talent, but look at them now and they don't have much. Batum and ???
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,766

Post#177 » by Rafael122 » Sat Dec 4, 2010 2:01 pm

From what I saw of the game, John Wall's body language was friggin terrible. There was one point where I think Gee got a rebound, passed it to Hinrich, who then passed it to Gil, and there was Wall with his arms open waiting for the ball, and got mad he didn't get it. This was very late in the game.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#178 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Sat Dec 4, 2010 5:27 pm

I wasn't able to see the game, was the low score due to our defense or the Blazers just sucking? Specifically, how was Gilbert's defense?

willbcocks wrote:Gil and Wall continue to be ineffective together. The injuries have made me postpone drawing permanent conclusions yet, but if they don't get it together in another 10 games or so, I'm going to be worried.

Before this game, they played about 10 minutes on the floor together without Kirk. It's not possible to conclude that they are ineffective together cause they haven't played together. I am eagerly waiting, because I still think it'll be our best combination in the back-court. I mean, both Gil and Wall like to push the pace (Kirk just naturally slows it down a bit due to his lack of athleticism), Gil is fine with the ball not in his hands while Wall is best with it in his hands, both Wall and Gil are excellent passers, and Gilbert is a great shooter while Wall is a great slasher. In fact, I am dying to see Gil/Wall play at least 24 minutes a game on the court together.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#179 » by nate33 » Sat Dec 4, 2010 5:51 pm

It seems mostly due to good defense in my opinion. It wasn't like Portland missed a ton of wide open shots. They we're pretty hot from 3-point range in the first half, before cooling off in the second. The main thing was that McGee and Blatche contested everything in the paint. Their FG% from inside 10 feet was probably lower than their FG% outside.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#180 » by daSwami » Sat Dec 4, 2010 10:43 pm

BanndNDC wrote: young's jacket was hideously tacky

Couldn't disagree more. Which game were you watching? Do you even know anything about basketball IQ? The jacket was money - like something Walt Frazier might've rocked in the 70s.
:banghead:

Return to Washington Wizards