The Amazingly Suck Theodore Leonsis Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread 

Post#981 » by fishercob » Fri May 8, 2015 6:51 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:.
Has Uncle Ted still not fixed the Wizards medical staff?

Number of years of med school attended by John Wall: 0
Number of years of med school attended by Wiz MD's: ?

Wall refused to accept the initial diagnosis of a “real, real bad sprain” after X-rays immediately following the game were negative. According to a person with knowledge of the situation, Wall clashed with team medical staffers before sitting out Tuesday because he felt something more serious had caused his hand to explode. After a few days of confusion and concern, Wall got the confirmation of bone fractures that he never really wanted, leaving fans of the team with broken hearts. link

Never mind, I guess it should make everyone rest easy that you can miss catching *FIVE* different fractures.

Besides, Uncle Ted is all over your new urinal cakes.

:nonono:

Stop.

Firstly, it was an "initial" diagnosis based on an X-ray done at Phillips Arena, not a final diagnosis.

Secondly, non-displaced fractures are supposedly difficult to detect on an x-ray. But medicine is trial and error -- always. Doctors use the information that they have to make their best guesses based on data, history, etc., but good doctors miss diagnoses all the time.

I know emotions are running high right now, but to somehow lay blame for John's misfortune at the feet of ownership and the medical staff is misguided IMO.

Also, Randy is vehemently refuting Lee's assertion that Wall clashed with the med staff in a way I have never seen before. One has to wonder why he'd be compelled to do so other than to set the record straight.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#982 » by closg00 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 10:28 am

The Indiana Pacers are expected to purchase the Fort Wayne Mad Ants of the D-League.

The Mad Ants have been the D-League's lone independent affiliate.

There would be a remaining 11 teams without a D-League franchise

The Pacers are a small market team, not in this best financial shape, now they control their own D_League like most of the NBA.
I know Ted pays lip service to this, but given Ernie's distain for 2nd rounders, the Wizards will probably be amongst the last teams to control their own D_League team. I hope I am wrong.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#983 » by nate33 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 1:33 pm

closg00 wrote:
The Indiana Pacers are expected to purchase the Fort Wayne Mad Ants of the D-League.

The Pacers are a small market team, not in this best financial shape, now they control their own D_League like most of the NBA.
I know Ted pays lip service to this, but given Ernie's distain for 2nd rounders, the Wizards will probably be amongst the last teams to control their own D_League team. I hope I am wrong.

There was a post on the General Board a while back discussing how to improve the farm system in the NBA. He made a couple of really good suggestions. The one I liked most was to give each team a D-League affiliate, and have that D-League team travel with the NBA team and play in the same arena just before the NBA game. You could also allow more integration between the two rosters. Maybe just keep a 22-man roster where on any given night, you name the 12 players eligible for the NBA game and the others could just play on the D-League. You could even have players play both teams the same night. Kelly Oubre could get 32 minutes in the D-League game and then sit in on the NBA game and maybe a play a few garbage time minutes.

This arrangement cuts down on travel expenses and logistical expenses. It allows the NBA coach to work regularly with the D-League coach at implementing a common system. It gives lots of experience and exposure to rookies and young players. It allows teams to develop raw young players without making us suffer through bad NBA basketball. It establishes a real link between the D-League affiliate and the NBA team so that fans will actually care about and follow the D-League team.
closg00
RealGM

The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread 

Post#984 » by closg00 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 2:25 pm

Great ideas ^, it would take the stigma out of playing in the D-League. If the NBA could financially support paying a livable wage to these guys ($50-$60,000) the talent pool could bump-up just a bit.

#FireErnie ~ Because he believed Stephen Curry couldn't help us and Jan Vesely could.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#985 » by TheSecretWeapon » Mon Aug 3, 2015 10:59 pm

nate33 wrote:
closg00 wrote:

There was a post on the General Board a while back discussing how to improve the farm system in the NBA. He made a couple of really good suggestions. The one I liked most was to give each team a D-League affiliate, and have that D-League team travel with the NBA team and play in the same arena just before the NBA game. You could also allow more integration between the two rosters. Maybe just keep a 22-man roster where on any given night, you name the 12 players eligible for the NBA game and the others could just play on the D-League. You could even have players play both teams the same night. Kelly Oubre could get 32 minutes in the D-League game and then sit in on the NBA game and maybe a play a few garbage time minutes.

This arrangement cuts down on travel expenses and logistical expenses. It allows the NBA coach to work regularly with the D-League coach at implementing a common system. It gives lots of experience and exposure to rookies and young players. It allows teams to develop raw young players without making us suffer through bad NBA basketball. It establishes a real link between the D-League affiliate and the NBA team so that fans will actually care about and follow the D-League team.

I like a lot of these ideas. Basically, it's like having a JV team -- a lot of high schools (all?) that have JV and varsity play the JV game first and then the varsity game.

I wouldn't let players appear in both games, however. It's probably better to have teams designate their 12-man NBA "actives" and their 10-man D-League "actives" out of that 22-person roster.

Existing owners with stakes in their communities might not be thrilled. They'd be losing their product and would have to be paid off.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#986 » by payitforward » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:21 am

It's always good to think about things like this and post new ideas. But I'm not in love with this one.

The D League needs to flourish the way minor league baseball does -- in smaller markets where they develop their own core of fans. The idea of a JV-like team that travelled w/ the NBA team and played games before their games will make it impossible for that team to have its own fans -- or really even to have its own identity.

That said, yes, there's *plenty* of room for more D League teams if the league was a real minor league and if it paid real salaries. Neither of those seems a big speed bump. And there are certainly plenty of players to create exciting teams people will pay to see. As in fact they do now to see D League games.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#987 » by verbal8 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:15 am

payitforward wrote:It's always good to think about things like this and post new ideas. But I'm not in love with this one.

The D League needs to flourish the way minor league baseball does -- in smaller markets where they develop their own core of fans. The idea of a JV-like team that travelled w/ the NBA team and played games before their games will make it impossible for that team to have its own fans -- or really even to have its own identity.

That said, yes, there's *plenty* of room for more D League teams if the league was a real minor league and if it paid real salaries. Neither of those seems a big speed bump. And there are certainly plenty of players to create exciting teams people will pay to see. As in fact they do now to see D League games.

I think being close, but in distinct area is probably the ideal situation for a D-League team. I think Richmond would be perfect for a Wizards "Farm" team.

It really wouldn't cost much more to offer bigger salaries to the players.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,700

Post#988 » by montestewart » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:23 am

verbal8 wrote:
payitforward wrote:It's always good to think about things like this and post new ideas. But I'm not in love with this one.

I think being close, but in distinct area is probably the ideal situation for a D-League team. I think Richmond would be perfect for a Wizards "Farm" team.

It really wouldn't cost much more to offer bigger salaries to the players.

How about Baltimore? I think the name Bullets is available.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#989 » by payitforward » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:50 am

The Delaware 87ers are in Wilmington -- but I suppose they would most naturally be affiliated w/ the 76ers less than 30 miles away. Given the name, perhaps they already are?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,700

Post#990 » by montestewart » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:00 am

payitforward wrote:The Delaware 87ers are in Wilmington -- but I suppose they would most naturally be affiliated w/ the 76ers less than 30 miles away. Given the name, perhaps they already are?

closg00
RealGM

Post#991 » by closg00 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:46 am

The Pacers bought the Wizards’ D-League affiliate. Here’s what it means for the Wizards.

As rumored to be in the works for some time, the Indiana Pacers have officially bought the NBA D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants, the NBA will announce Wednesday, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. The development leaves more than a third of the NBA’s franchises without a D-League affiliate, including the Washington Wizards.

Clueless Ted & Ernie, the Wizards will probably be the last team to have an NBDL affiliate.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#992 » by queridiculo » Thu Jan 7, 2016 4:35 am

Isn't it lovely to see Leonsis plan come together?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#993 » by payitforward » Fri Jan 8, 2016 4:31 am

Ted's great claim to business acumen was the success of AOL. Except it was Steve Case who made AOL a success, not Ted. He was just along for the ride as far as I can tell. And, since AOL what has he done that's worked? Snag Films? Not so much.

If you work in the tech entrepreneur arena, as I did for many years, you get to see a lot of guys who the wind blew them into a tree and now they think they know how to fly. I'm thinking Ted's on the list.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 364

Post#994 » by Silvie Lysandra » Fri Jan 8, 2016 3:51 pm

there are a LOT of guys like that who got rich off the 90s bubble without knowing ****, Danny Boy is one of them though he seems to have wised up after 16 years.

Future historians will look at the mid 90s to early 2000s as the years that broke the assumption so key to Western capitalism that the CEOs know what they're doing and thus deserve their wealth.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#995 » by pineappleheadindc » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:39 am

The Wizards are still below .500 (as I type this on 1/18/16). They just got killed by the Blazers, a current Western conference also-ran who just lost to the Sixers. This loss -- and the Wizards ongoing embrace of mediocrity is completely on Ted Leonsis. He sets the tone. He is the one who accepts the performance of a GM in Ernie Grunfeld who has *never* posted a good record but has frequently posted a poor record. Ernie and Ted accept the performance of Randy Wittman, who is seen throughout the league as a sub-par coach.

Leonsis likes to imagine himself to be a sort of leadership guru. He created a nice little slogan line: "Double bottom line life." Yeah, that means nothing. Leonsis comes from AOL and their excellence can best be described as dropping hundreds of AOL CDs in local post offices.

Ted, a real leadershipo tidbit for you. When you hire and embrace key leaders who have never delivered excellence (and do not now deliver excellence), it is insanity to expect excellent results. Put that in your double bottom line philosophy.

SMH.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#996 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:15 pm

I now agree with you - at first, I thought it was all on Ernie. Ernie is a good talker and keeps himself just above the line. Plus, he could point back to the last two seasons and say - "see". To the casual fan - Ernie is just fine. And I believe that Ted is in fact a casual fan.

The best thing he could do is go out and get Danny Ferry and then step back and watch.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#997 » by payitforward » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:20 pm

S#@t rises. If an employee doesn't perform, and he isn't replaced, it's the boss's fault. Ted came in w/ good intentions and his famous 10-point plan. When things didn't turn around quickly enough for his taste, and fans were unhappy at our many losses, he blinked and we went all in for mediocrity. We had two pretty good seasons, but we got them by foregoing our future.

Ted's one of those guys who believes in "strategy" and thinks that if he has one then it doesn't matter who the GM is as long as he's agreeing and following it. But, as Clausewitz wrote, the battle plan doesn't survive first contact w/ the enemy. "Strategy" is pleasant, like a day-dream of how intelligent you are, like looking in the mirror and thinking "man I really look good."

As to Ernie, the assets he had to work with were outstanding. Not to mention what the ping pong balls gave him -- twice! He couldn't get it done. Guy sucks; he should have been gone a long time ago.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#998 » by fishercob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:12 pm

payitforward wrote:S#@t rises. If an employee doesn't perform, and he isn't replaced, it's the boss's fault. Ted came in w/ good intentions and his famous 10-point plan. When things didn't turn around quickly enough for his taste, and fans were unhappy at our many losses, he blinked and we went all in for mediocrity. We had two pretty good seasons, but we got them by foregoing our future.

Ted's one of those guys who believes in "strategy" and thinks that if he has one then it doesn't matter who the GM is as long as he's agreeing and following it. But, as Clausewitz wrote, the battle plan doesn't survive first contact w/ the enemy. "Strategy" is pleasant, like a day-dream of how intelligent you are, like looking in the mirror and thinking "man I really look good."

As to Ernie, the assets he had to work with were outstanding. Not to mention what the ping pong balls gave him -- twice! He couldn't get it done. Guy sucks; he should have been gone a long time ago.

I think Ernie deserves 10 more years to see if he can straighten things out.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#999 » by WallToWall » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:46 am

fishercob wrote:
I think Ernie deserves 10 more years to see if he can straighten things out.

Well, if there are many injuries in any given season, he should be comped that season and those 10 years should be extended. Its only fair.
lastemp3ror
Junior
And1: 107

Post#1000 » by lastemp3ror » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:55 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I realized last night that the Wizards were the best Washington based pro-team. They made the playoffs for a few years in a row. So did the Caps, but they could never go to the second round like the Wizards. The Nationals are good every other year, and the Skins always sucked. However this year, the Wizards may turn out to be the worst of the four. The Skins just made the playoffs, and could do it again and should at worst match their record from this year. The Nationals will most likely make the playoffs. The Caps are killing it and look primed to make a deep playoff run. While the Wizards look like the only team that got worse.

I know that I am guesstimating a lot but the scenario that I laid out is very likely outcome.

Return to Washington Wizards