The Amazingly Suck Theodore Leonsis Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread 

Post#501 » by verbal8 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:55 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
w dumseld wrote:Wow, so -16 versus 154. That sounds like at least 10 times better. :cry:

CCJ's head might explode.

TOO LATE. :oops:

Being a Wizard fan and obsessing on their misfortunes as I do, I feel like I would have been right at home on the inside, next to the Chief and Jack Nicholson, in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Seriously, the Wizards are so bad it is very entertaining to me. When they're not infuriating I find myself shaking my head.

Ted and Ernie … short bus … :P

IF YOU ARE WITH THE WIZARDS, PLEASE DO NOT GET ANGRY. THINK OF THIS: Last year the Bobcats were 7-59 and everyone was laughing at MJ. Now, they're 7-6. They might not be THAT good, but they are no longer a laughing stock. Ted can turn this around if he mans up and gets rid of the real source of most of his problems.

Looking at the scoring differential, it looks like the Bobcats are definitely overachieving in the W-L column. Basketball-reference has them predicted to only get 3 more wins than the Wizards over the rest of the season.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#502 » by Nivek » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:17 am

Part of that scoring differential for Charlotte was the horrific beatdown they took from OKC a few nights ago. I think they lost by 46 or something.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#503 » by Ed Wood » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:09 am

Not that you were suggesting this Kev, but I've never been sure what to make of the "well throw out that game and we don't look so bad" argument. Teams' performances are variable within a certain range, if -46 is in that range your team is bad. Moral victories are no salve to the loser, but there's something to be said for not losing spectacularly. And that thing is that you are bad but not AS bad.

We are that bad though.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#504 » by Nivek » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:01 pm

I'm not all suggesting throwing out that beatdown. It's valuable information. In fact, Neil Paine at b-r did some research showing that "stomps" (games where the margin is 20+) are a better predictor of playoff success than record in close games.

All I'm saying above is that every number -- including scoring differential -- is drawn from a small sample size early in the season.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#505 » by montestewart » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:18 pm

The Wizards' record in stomps is 0-1. That's practically a moral victory in itself. If they would only stage a playoffs based on team record in stomps, the Wizards might get a late seed. Baby steps. Maybe a dead baby from the Walking Dead, but they're still baby steps.

PS: CCJ, the Bobcats' record in stomps is 0-2, so the Wizards are clearly the better bet to go far in the playoffs.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#506 » by BigA » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:28 pm

Don't know if this belongs here, but I just got an email from the Wizards announcing the release of really good tickets to the Miami game next Tuesday.

So I checked out what was available. I was a planholder for 5 years until last year, so I am pretty familiar with the economics of Wizards tickets availability/pricing.

I was surprised when I went to Ticketmaster, which provides a "pick your seat" function, to find large amounts of unsold seats in the 400s in addition to the lower level seats being released.

Interest in the Wizards on the part of the ticket-buying public is now so low that Verizon isn't close to selling out less than a week before a game with the world champs with LeBron and D-Wade.

In addition to the team being real bad for a number of years now, Ted's pricing strategy of charging much higher prices for the premier games in plans (except for full season-the strategy he brought from the Caps is to maximize the sale of full season plans) and at the gate might also be contributing. Getting access to additional seats to good games at discount prices before the general public used to be a perk available to just about all planholders, and the premier games were almost always sold out.

I also checked StubHub, where there is a healthy inventory for Tuesday, much of it priced near gate prices.

So, the bottom line is if you show up on F Street around tip-off Tuesday night I bet you'll be able to get some excellent seats at reasonable prices. Probably below face.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#507 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:35 pm

montestewart wrote:The Wizards' record in stomps is 0-1. That's practically a moral victory in itself. If they would only stage a playoffs based on team record in stomps, the Wizards might get a late seed. Baby steps. Maybe a dead baby from the Walking Dead, but they're still baby steps.

PS: CCJ, the Bobcats' record in stomps is 0-2, so the Wizards are clearly the better bet to go far in the playoffs.

That is certainly a damning indictment and proof the Bobcats suck, monte. Twice as many stomps? I mean, come on, man. :roll:

Also, the Bobcats lost to the Hawks again last night. Sessions had a key turnover at the end. He obviously sucks just like Charlotte.

On a serious note, as much as I cannot stand EG and Ted for keeping him on, the Wizards via baby steps could win 36-40 games if they keep Nene in the lineup, and especially with Wall back.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#508 » by closg00 » Sat Dec 1, 2012 4:15 am

Hey Ted! Fork You and your email promotions selling tickets to the Lakers and Heat. Selling those teams is about all you have left to hang your hat on.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#509 » by pineappleheadindc » Sat Dec 1, 2012 4:16 am

closg00 wrote:Hey Ted! Fork You and your email promotions selling tickets to the Lakers and Heat. Selling those teams is about all you have left to hang your hat on.

Susan O'Malley lives!
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#510 » by montestewart » Sat Dec 1, 2012 4:33 am

closg00 wrote:Hey Ted! Fork You and your email promotions selling tickets to the Lakers and Heat. Selling those teams is about all you have left to hang your hat on.

Yeah, and you ripped me off of two Heat tickets last year. Pay up, crook, and they better be 100 level, and they better be in some year when the team doesn't suck so bad.
RealGM

Post#511 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Dec 1, 2012 5:13 am

montestewart wrote:

Yeah, and you ripped me off of two Heat tickets last year. Pay up, crook, and they better be 100 level, and they better be in some year when the team doesn't suck so bad.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQB2-Kmiic[/youtube]
Bye bye Beal.
noworriesinmd
Junior
And1: 69

Post#512 » by noworriesinmd » Sat Dec 1, 2012 11:03 am

Just read Ted's Take.
These are just my random thoughts:
EG is very safe. Ted believes that EG is executing his game plan.
Ted believes that most opinions are mob mentality and group think...because the team is not winning. Hence the title of one blog post "fanatical fans"

def of fanatical:
1. Filled with excessive and single-minded zeal.
2. Obsessively concerned with something.

We as a group want EG gone, because we are not winning all the time.
What his blog shows is that he is promoting the "us vs the world (fans, media, etc)" mentality in the Organization. That most of the vitriol has been directed at the players, coach and organization vs EG.

What's interesting is that he believes everything is going to plan and we, as fans, yell because we are not getting results fast enough. He refers to the Caps and a loosing streak that turned into a big winning streak. He believes that all will be forgiven with a 6 game winning streak during the last few weeks of the season.

Bottom line: we have what we have as fans. There will be no changes. We as fans are just being FANatics. We are wrong and the organization is right.
Maybe there is some secret memo that states that only Miami, NY, and LA win a championships and that all our prognostication is of little use...because the other teams will always be bottom feeders.

I've decided to give up my very expensive season tixs and just buy individual game at 1/4 price.

I'll be back if they get Wiggins....but we know that is not happening.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#513 » by pineappleheadindc » Sat Dec 1, 2012 7:22 pm

^
That's really disappointing.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"

- Yoda
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#514 » by FAH1223 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 5:03 am

Ted's latest blog post on young players specifically on Vesley

I am not surprised that these stories about the draft and young players have started to appear in print. They are well researched and well written. But there are two perspectives to share.

Young players develop at their own pace and in context to how the team is developing and playing. When you are a sitting with one win this season, it is very easy, and frankly casual, to critique very young players. We now have six players we have drafted in the lineup, and one player that we traded for who was a first round pick in the lineup, as well in Jordan Crawford. So, that’s seven players out of 15 that have come into our rotation from the draft in the last three off seasons.

Frankly, more than half our team is now made up of seasoned and complementary playing vets. We have seven new vets in our lineup this season as well. And Cartier Martin, who has played with our team before. People advocate for change, and sometimes having so much change at a time when you also have core players out with injuries makes for a very tough start to a season. I am supportive of our young players, and will continue to advocate that we build around a core of players that we have drafted and developed. We have made trades to add the vets. We have done some free agent signings. What we haven’t done is wade into free agency to add a big star to our team.

We have many players on our team that we drafted. As noted, John Wall, our point guard is our most tenured player. This would be only his third season. He hasn’t’ played a minute yet this season. The other two players in that draft – three seasons ago – Kevin Seraphin and Trevor Booker –have also contributed. But Booker has been injured a lot of late. Take a look at this link and at the last six years of the fate of the first round picks in the draft as to injuries. It happens.

So two of the three players in our first draft of ownership are not in the lineup this season due to injuries.

We basically did start over, building a roster from scratch and a team that evolved around athleticism, running, and two players – Nene and Wall – who have special skills and can make players around them fit in and play better team ball. Nene has been limited to his minutes this season and has played only fou games with limited minutes.

Jan Vesely and Trevor Ariza are best situated in a running, fast-paced offense. We have now had to slow down play without John Wall in the lineup, and we are asking players to play half court sets. This is a miss -match for their specific skill sets. Jan Vesely is in his second year of development. You always support a young, talented player, who is 7 feet tall, can run and is fundamentally sound. Jan has our support, and is working hard to develop his all-around game. But this is his second year in the NBA, and he is playing without a starting point guard who can push the pace of play. We shouldn’t be so fast to write him off as a player. This is easy to do in media but not something that is smart to do for our franchise.

I support Jan Vesely.

Our draft has yielded many players that have been developing well. Kevin Seraphin is playing many minutes and contributing. And as he develops his game, will be looked at as a player that was a steal in that draft. Chris Singleton, in only his second year, is in our rotation too and playing well and contributing.

Bradley Beal is only 19 years old, is a rookie, and is learning what NBA basketball is all about. But he certainly has shown signs that he will be a key rotation player and a starting player as time goes on in the NBA. He will look better with John Wall in the back court too.

So, we will continue to develop our young players. We will bring back our injured players slowly and appropriately. Their long-term health and wellbeing is very important to them, to our fans and to us. We will work free agency to add to the team. We will try to make astute trades to improve, but we also must develop cohesion, chemistry and structure around a system with so many new and young players in the rotation.

The season to date has been a very tough experience for us all. I have been through tough times before, but this has been a very sobering and humbling experience. I am committed to getting it right and to building a franchise that is respectable, competitive and that wins for our fans.

I also wanted to come to the public support of our young players. I think that is important for them to know that we believe in them.
RealGM

Post#515 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Dec 3, 2012 5:19 am

I agree with Ted on Vesely. He needs to run. I also agree on Beal. He is young. Neither are what most want them to be right now, but they're young and can be useful in Jan's case and very good once Beal starts hitting shots.

As for the rest, what else is this owner going to do but defend EG?
Bye bye Beal.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#516 » by dandridge 10 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 1:47 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I agree with Ted on Vesely. He needs to run. I also agree on Beal. He is young. Neither are what most want them to be right now, but they're young and can be useful in Jan's case and very good once Beal starts hitting shots.

As for the rest, what else is this owner going to do but defend EG?

Regarding Vesely, the problem is you can't run a fast break the whole game. You have to have players that can play in the half court too, especially in the playoffs, in order to be successful. Perhaps Vesely can develop enough where he is not a detriment in the half court. However, right now, he has no skill but to run and jump...that ain't going to do it.

As for the rest, it sounds as if Ted went to EG and said, "tell me what I should say."
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#517 » by sashae » Mon Dec 3, 2012 2:09 pm

I posted a very long, very mellow post about EG's failures on Ted's "Fanatical Fans" post from a few days ago. Unsurprisingly, it was moderated out.

EVERYTHING IS FINE NOTHING IS SCREWED
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#518 » by sashae » Mon Dec 3, 2012 2:10 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I agree with Ted on Vesely. He needs to run. I also agree on Beal. He is young. Neither are what most want them to be right now, but they're young and can be useful in Jan's case and very good once Beal starts hitting shots.

Not to beat you up CCJ, but for once I'd *love* to draft a player that immediately delivers what they were expected to deliver (at a minimum) or over-delivers in terms of talent (hello, Damian Lillard.) JUST ONCE.

Wall's rookie year was pretty exciting to start out with, but hasn't gotten any better yet.
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#519 » by closg00 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 2:39 pm

sashae wrote:

Not to beat you up CCJ, but for once I'd *love* to draft a player that immediately delivers what they were expected to deliver (at a minimum) or over-delivers in terms of talent (hello, Damian Lillard.) JUST ONCE.

Wall's rookie year was pretty exciting to start out with, but hasn't gotten any better yet.

:nod: That's what I'm talking about, Miller posted the same thing. I'm still waiting for an out-of-box stud pick.....doesn't matter which round, but preferably the 1st rounder.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#520 » by Nivek » Mon Dec 3, 2012 2:57 pm

Vesely is fundamentally sound? Sure. As long as shooting, dribbling and maintaining position inside aren't fundamentals.

Other than actual basketball skills, Vesely is fundamentally sound.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Return to Washington Wizards