The Amazingly Suck Theodore Leonsis Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread 

Post#961 » by FreeBalling » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:04 am

FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
FreeBalling
Starter

Post#962 » by FreeBalling » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:07 am

dckingsfan wrote:We got John Wall - but we still have Grunfeld and Wittman. Until then, this title name is appropriate.

When was the last time you saw the Bullets/Wizards win 46 games? Were you even a live?

There is a huge presence of group think on this site.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#963 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:25 am

FreeBalling wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:We got John Wall - but we still have Grunfeld and Wittman. Until then, this title name is appropriate.

When was the last time you saw the Bullets/Wizards win 46 games? Were you even a live?

You are right. In the what 12? or is it 13 by now? years that Ernie Grunfeld has been the GM of this franchise never before has he taken us to the lofty heights of 46 wins.

It's true that 52 of our games were vs. the weaker Eastern Conference, meaning that our schedule overall was easier than an average schedule. But why worry about that? Why not just enjoy the incredible heights of our record?

In fact, why would you expect more than that out of a 5 year rebuild based on an overall #1 pick, a couple of #3 picks, a #6 pick, 4 other R1 picks, 3 quite high R2 picks, and a few other assorted picks? That would be "group think" wouldn't it.

Instead, why not think brilliantly the way you do. After all, you are -- as you say -- "a live," right?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#964 » by TheSecretWeapon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:00 am

FreeBalling wrote:

So, your argument is that because the Wizards/Bullets have been feeding fans spoonfuls of toxic **** for the past three decades, we should now be overjoyed because they used LOADS of resources to clean up the **** a bit? Mmmm tastier ****. Yay! This **** is way yummier than it was just five years ago.

And by the way, I was alive (or a live) AND a fan of the team the last time they managed to reach the towering heights of 46 wins. They even went toweringer with 54 wins and a trip to the NBA Finals that year. I mean, it was ONLY 36 years ago. In geologic terms, 36 years is nothing! Hmm, that **** is almost sweet now!
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
FreeBalling
Starter

Post#965 » by FreeBalling » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:39 am

payitforward wrote:
FreeBalling wrote:

You are right. In the what 12? or is it 13 by now? years that Ernie Grunfeld has been the GM of this franchise never before has he taken us to the lofty heights of 46 wins.

It's true that 52 of our games were vs. the weaker Eastern Conference, meaning that our schedule overall was easier than an average schedule. But why worry about that? Why not just enjoy the incredible heights of our record?

In fact, why would you expect more than that out of a 5 year rebuild based on an overall #1 pick, a couple of #3 picks, a #6 pick, 4 other R1 picks, 3 quite high R2 picks, and a few other assorted picks? That would be "group think" wouldn't it.

Instead, why not think brilliantly the way you do. After all, you are -- as you say -- "a live," right?

I believe Ted's goal is to win a title for DC. He's spending money to get players. He's investing in new athletic facilities. Furthermore, there are only hand full of elite players that win multiple titles in the NBA. The odds are against us winning a title in the next few years even if EG leaves the Wizards.

Our geographical location has something to do with attracting players. Players pay state tax here and there's no beach. I agree with you EG has made some blunders and he's made some good moves like Kwame for all-star Caron Butler. His trades seems to work out better for the Wizards than the other team. I believe he's very poor at drafting young players outside the top 7 and should be removed of his powers to draft players. However, most GM's will make some mistakes in the draft if given enough time.

Don't you think after 35 years you owe it to the Wizards to support their accomplishments. Ted, Randy and EG are part of the team.

I would disagree with your comment on the 5 year rebuild. I ask you "Why does a team rebuild?" I would say to make the playoffs. I'm not going into the business aspects of the rebuild. However, we are in the playoffs for the second year in a row. Clear measurable growth if you ask me. If you look at all the teams that had the 1st overall pick in the draft. All of those teams are in the playoffs this year going back to 2004. What does that say about being a GM in the NBA?

All things aside I understand your point about EG, it's just playoff time. Stay positive and Payitforward to another Wizards fan.
FINAL UPDATE
You Are Not Forgotten

FreeBalling
Starter

Post#966 » by FreeBalling » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:51 am

TheSecretWeapon wrote:
FreeBalling wrote:

So, your argument is that because the Wizards/Bullets have been feeding fans spoonfuls of toxic **** for the past three decades, we should now be overjoyed because they used LOADS of resources to clean up the **** a bit? Mmmm tastier ****. Yay! This **** is way yummier than it was just five years ago.

And by the way, I was alive (or a live) AND a fan of the team the last time they managed to reach the towering heights of 46 wins. They even went toweringer with 54 wins and a trip to the NBA Finals that year. I mean, it was ONLY 36 years ago. In geologic terms, 36 years is nothing! Hmm, that **** is almost sweet now!

You guys are clearly upset. To answer your question. The sh*t does taste better than five years ago. I'm going to a playoff game Friday. I keep hearing about how the East is weak, it was weak 5 years ago and 15 years ago. The West won 10 of 15 titles.

I'm not trying to change your opinion of Ted or EG, just saying enjoy the season and playoffs while they are here.
FINAL UPDATE
You Are Not Forgotten

TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#967 » by TheSecretWeapon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:11 am

FreeBalling wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:
FreeBalling wrote:

You guys are clearly upset. To answer your question. The sh*t does taste better than five years ago. I'm going to a playoff game Friday. I keep hearing about how the East is weak, it was weak 5 years ago and 15 years ago. The West won 10 of 15 titles.

I'm not trying to change your opinion of Ted or EG, just saying enjoy the season and playoffs while they are here.

I am enjoying the playoffs. I enjoyed them last year. I enjoyed most of the games this season, even with the Wizards running a 1980s offense. Even the losses -- at least in the experience of watching them. I'm able to separate my enjoyment of the game with my broader dissatisfaction with how the team is run. If I couldn't separate those things, I don't think I'd have made it 37 years as a fan of this franchise.

Telling me to shut up and enjoy the tastier **** doesn't really work for me. It's still **** Leonsis, Grunfeld and Wittman are shoveling. The record is better, but...never mind. I touched on it over at the blog on Friday. If you're interested, pop over and take a look. Suffice to say that I'm not happy with the job the front office or the coaching staff has done. That said, I still want the Wizards to win. I'd take Grunfeld as GM AND Wittman as coach for as long as they live if it meant the Wizards win the title this year.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
FreeBalling
Starter

Post#968 » by FreeBalling » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:21 am

TheSecretWeapon wrote:
FreeBalling wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:

I am enjoying the playoffs. I enjoyed them last year. I enjoyed most of the games this season, even with the Wizards running a 1980s offense. Even the losses -- at least in the experience of watching them. I'm able to separate my enjoyment of the game with my broader dissatisfaction with how the team is run. If I couldn't separate those things, I don't think I'd have made it 37 years as a fan of this franchise.

Telling me to shut up and enjoy the tastier **** doesn't really work for me. It's still **** Leonsis, Grunfeld and Wittman are shoveling. The record is better, but...never mind. I touched on it over at the blog on Friday. If you're interested, pop over and take a look. Suffice to say that I'm not happy with the job the front office or the coaching staff has done. That said, I still want the Wizards to win. I'd take Grunfeld as GM AND Wittman as coach for as long as they live if it meant the Wizards win the title this year.

I'd like to read your blog. Thanks for suggesting the content and could you give me the link.

Sorry if my post sounded like I was telling you to shut up. That was not my point at all.
FINAL UPDATE
You Are Not Forgotten

TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#969 » by TheSecretWeapon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:49 am

FreeBalling wrote:
I'd like to read your blog. Thanks for suggesting the content and could you give me the link.

Sorry if my post sounded like I was telling you to shut up. That was not my point at all.

Good lord, man! You mean to tell me my site isn't bookmarked on all your devices? That you're not clicking said bookmark 30 times a day to see if I've posted something?!

***sigh***

:nonono:

Link to Friday's post.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#970 » by montestewart » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:31 am

TheSecretWeapon wrote:I am enjoying the playoffs. I enjoyed them last year. I enjoyed most of the games this season, even with the Wizards running a 1980s offense. Even the losses -- at least in the experience of watching them. I'm able to separate my enjoyment of the game with my broader dissatisfaction with how the team is run. If I couldn't separate those things, I don't think I'd have made it 37 years as a fan of this franchise.

Damn Nivek, that sums things up perfectly.

Go Wiz!

PS: I remember when the Bullets won 60 games, only to get swept by the Warriors in the finals. So Wizards! Maybe they can finally get revenge this year, eh?
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#971 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:31 am

Mike Riordan ran around trying to instigate a fight with Rick Barry. George Johnson blocked a bunch of shots. Keith Wilkes began to resemble smooth as silk Jamaal Wilkes.

I was only 13 (same age my youngest son turned today). I don't remember a whole lot other than Rick Barry became my favorite player, along with Dr. J, a couple years later.
FreeBalling
Starter

Post#972 » by FreeBalling » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:07 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:
FreeBalling wrote:

Good lord, man! You mean to tell me my site isn't bookmarked on all your devices? That you're not clicking said bookmark 30 times a day to see if I've posted something?!

***sigh***

Link to Friday's post.

Your blog has some interesting viewpoints and statistical information, thank you for contributing to the NBA community. I have a couple questions if you have time.

1. Who would you replace EG with?
2. Are you the guy from 82games.com by chance? If so, I was told you were hired by the Mav's for data analytics a few years back and won a ring.
FINAL UPDATE
You Are Not Forgotten

TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#973 » by TheSecretWeapon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:35 pm

FreeBalling wrote:
Your blog has some interesting viewpoints and statistical information, thank you for contributing to the NBA community. I have a couple questions if you have time.

1. Who would you replace EG with?
2. Are you the guy from 82games.com by chance? If so, I was told you were hired by the Mav's for data analytics a few years back and won a ring.

Thanks for taking a look.

Who would I replace EG with? No particular order:

- Troy Weaver -- #2 guy in OKC. Savvy, well-respected, is from the DC area.

- Mike Zarren -- #2 guy in Boston. Stat guy with a business background. Very smart.

- Dean Oliver -- Dean is the godfather of statistical analysis in basketball (although he passes credit along to Dean Smith). He's consulted with several NBA teams, and has worked for Denver and now Sacramento (with a stop at ESPN). Good guy (I say that from personal experience working on defensive tracking with/for him when he was at Denver). Smart (has a doctorate in environmental engineering or something like that), and starts from the position that he doesn't know everything.

- Ben Falk -- Might still be too young, but he's going to be a GM somewhere, and when he gets the gig, that team will win. I've known Ben since he was a junior in high school. Ridiculously smart -- while still in high school he programmed the database I used to keep track of the defensive tracking I was doing. Went to Maryland on a full scholarship. I helped him get an internship with Dean Oliver one summer. Ben parlayed that into an internship the following summer with Portland, and parlayed THAT into a consulting gig with the team. For his last three years at Maryland, he was a stat consultant with the Blazers. That turned into a full-time job. Last summer, he took a VP position with Philly.

A few years back, I'd have considered Tommy Sheppard (who's been Grunfeld's #2 throughout Grunfeld's tenure in Washington), but I wouldn't go that way now. Tommy's name keeps coming up as a GM candidate elsewhere. Big plus with Tommy is that he's a terrific person who knows frigging EVERYONE. I think the franchise could use a new perspective, though.

A management team including a couple of these guys might be effective. Weaver and Sheppard are more "relationship" guys. They know lots of people and are on good terms with seemingly everyone, seemingly everywhere. Weaver is more of a scouting guy. Tommy is more of a manager and resource guy. Ben, Dean and Mike are more on the stat goober end of things, although Dean has worked as a "sit in the stands and stare at players" scout.

Another guy who impressed me back when I covered the Wizards regularly was Mitchell Butler. I thought he'd make a terrific coach or executive, but he left the Wizards to go be an agent. I still think he'd make a good GM or coach.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#974 » by closg00 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:05 pm

Caps advance, the Wizards advance, Ted is jolly.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#975 » by montestewart » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:25 pm

closg00 wrote:Caps advance, the Wizards advance, Ted is jolly.

I'm jolly too, and I don't even like hockey. Go Wiz!
closg00
RealGM

Post#976 » by closg00 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:07 pm

montestewart wrote:
closg00 wrote:Caps advance, the Wizards advance, Ted is jolly.

I'm jolly too, and I don't even like hockey. Go Wiz!

Yup, Nats, Caps & Wiz. DC Rising :nod:
closg00
RealGM

The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread 

Post#977 » by closg00 » Tue May 5, 2015 12:15 pm

In today's Post Express and possibly Post article about the Caps/Wiz success, Ted address's his critics. Teddy says " I feel vindicated that we've met our goals" He later said (paraphrasing), that he wanted the critics to have some empathy.
Ok Ted, please give stand-down orders to Millie and Hands :)

#FireErnie ~ Because he believed Stephen Curry couldn't help us and Jan Vesely could.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#978 » by pineappleheadindc » Fri May 8, 2015 2:34 pm

Has Uncle Ted still not fixed the Wizards medical staff?

Number of years of med school attended by John Wall: 0
Number of years of med school attended by Wiz MD's: ?

Wall refused to accept the initial diagnosis of a “real, real bad sprain” after X-rays immediately following the game were negative. According to a person with knowledge of the situation, Wall clashed with team medical staffers before sitting out Tuesday because he felt something more serious had caused his hand to explode. After a few days of confusion and concern, Wall got the confirmation of bone fractures that he never really wanted, leaving fans of the team with broken hearts. link

Never mind, I guess it should make everyone rest easy that you can miss catching *FIVE* different fractures.

Besides, Uncle Ted is all over your new urinal cakes.

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
closg00
RealGM

The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread 

Post#979 » by closg00 » Fri May 8, 2015 2:48 pm

Amazing!!!! after all these years the medical team is no-better than the Simpsons Dr. Nick (please post an image someone :)
Shades of Gilbert all over again.

#FireErnie ~ Because he believed Stephen Curry couldn't help us and Jan Vesely could.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Post#980 » by queridiculo » Fri May 8, 2015 6:09 pm

This has been an issue how long now? Unbelievable.

Good to hear he feels vindicated though, news of a Grunfeld extension can only be a few weeks out now.

Return to Washington Wizards