The Amazingly Suck Theodore Leonsis Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Earth2Ted
Junior
And1: 58

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread 

Post#461 » by Earth2Ted » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:39 pm

Just posted the following to tedstake:

Ted, while I respect your patience and faith in your team, I would ask you to consider the following: what would Abraham Lincoln do? As we know from history, he would keep looking for his General Grant.

Lincoln was a president who was not afraid to make a change when it was clear that he had a lousy general- and he had several before he settled on Grant. I think it is clear at this point that Ernie Grunfeld is not your General Grant.

This team is 0-11. That's historically bad- and as you have alluded to in your posts, indicates a lack of talent and failure to execute basic fundamentals like boxing out on free throws. This is bad player evaluation, bad coaching, bad everything.

There are good young GMs out there waiting to be hired- and somewhere, there is the next great one. Please, for the sake of all us lifelong Bullets/Wizards fans who continue to support and suffer with this team contrary to all good sense, please make a change and find your General Grant.

Tried to be succint... although the Wizards suckitude defies succintness. :-?
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,213

Post#462 » by MikeTheKid » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:20 pm

Earth2Ted wrote:Just posted the following to tedstake:

Ted, while I respect your patience and faith in your team, I would ask you to consider the following: what would Abraham Lincoln do? As we know from history, he would keep looking for his General Grant.

Lincoln was a president who was not afraid to make a change when it was clear that he had a lousy general- and he had several before he settled on Grant. I think it is clear at this point that Ernie Grunfeld is not your General Grant.

This team is 0-11. That's historically bad- and as you have alluded to in your posts, indicates a lack of talent and failure to execute basic fundamentals like boxing out on free throws. This is bad player evaluation, bad coaching, bad everything.

There are good young GMs out there waiting to be hired- and somewhere, there is the next great one. Please, for the sake of all us lifelong Bullets/Wizards fans who continue to support and suffer with this team contrary to all good sense, please make a change and find your General Grant.

Tried to be succint... although the Wizards suckitude defies succintness. :-?

Beautiful

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#463 » by montestewart » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:22 pm

That could be your tagline, Earth2Ted. "The Wizards: a suckitude that defies succinctness."
Earth2Ted
Junior

Post#464 » by Earth2Ted » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:58 pm

To be even more succinct- WIZARDS ARE SUCK SINK is almost as succinct as you can get.

Almost as succinct as the WIZARDS ARE SUCK meme that has already been floating around on this board for several years.

BTW all this sucking and sinking reminds me of that all time great quote from Micheal Ray Richardson.

"The ship be sinking," he said. "Sky's the limit."
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#465 » by Nivek » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:25 pm

I admire the Wizards for being the best 0-11 team in history. Soon to be the best 0-12 team ever. Not just any team could accomplish what they're doing this season. Not just any GM could assemble this group. Not just anyone could coach them to these lofty heights.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
TheBigThree
Starter
And1: 124

Post#466 » by TheBigThree » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:55 am

Someone should point out to Ted that, thus far, we've played the third easiest schedule in the league and have ZERO wins to show for it.

I can't wait to see the depths of depression expressed in his blog over the next few weeks. Maybe he'll finally see the light.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#467 » by pineappleheadindc » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:03 am

#FireErnie
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
bgroban
Junior
And1: 48

Post#468 » by bgroban » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:27 am

#FireTed
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#469 » by AFM » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:49 am

Why doesn't Ted post here? Can you imagine Ted, WizD, and hands going at it?

WizD: Ted, you have failed to understand the intangibles of basketball IQ and elite hand speed. Vesely should be spending 7 to 8 hours a day hanging upside down from a harness crossing over left to right then back again keeping his elbow bent at 90 degrees.

Ted: We have a promising young core and now we've added veterans!!
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#470 » by DMVleGeND » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:50 pm

AFM wrote:Why doesn't Ted post here? Can you imagine Ted, WizD, and hands going at it?

WizD: Ted, you have failed to understand the intangibles of basketball IQ and elite hand speed. Vesely should be spending 7 to 8 hours a day hanging upside down from a harness crossing over left to right then back again keeping his elbow bent at 90 degrees.

Ted: We have a promising young core and now we've added veterans!!

:rofl:
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#471 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:12 pm

TheBigThree wrote:Someone should point out to Ted that, thus far, we've played the third easiest schedule in the league and have ZERO wins to show for it.

I can't wait to see the depths of depression expressed in his blog over the next few weeks. Maybe he'll finally see the light.

What's even more astounding is that we've managed to play the third worst schedule without having to play ourselves!
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#472 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:30 pm

nate33 wrote:
TheBigThree wrote:Someone should point out to Ted that, thus far, we've played the third easiest schedule in the league and have ZERO wins to show for it.

What's even more astounding is that we've managed to play the third worst schedule without having to play ourselves!

That's an amazing achievement. Dark days ahead for the Wizards.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#473 » by jivelikenice » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:52 pm

Ted just doesn't get it. This organization is a laughing stock amongst media, fans, and the NBA world....Yet he feels like he's in the right and we're all wrong.

After hearing the Blatche interview on 106.7, i'm even more flabbergasted that Ted thought Dray deserved an extension, should be viewed as a building block, and kept thinking he was redeemable. Makes me really question his judgement....
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 364

Post#474 » by Silvie Lysandra » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:13 pm

verbal8 wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
I've said it once and I'll say it again: "I'd rather have Dan Snyder as the owner".

Yeah, I said it. Dan Snyder....

However I think he would be an unmitigated disaster. Think the Isaih Thomas Knicks. I could see him have a team(best case) with a guy who is good and overpaid like Joe Johnson or Amare Stoudamire and a couple guys who are highly paid but not good.

So basically the Brooklyn Nets? Especially if he gets even a decent GM.

I'll take the Brooklyn Nets as our ceiling, it's too hard to win a title in the NBA.
Floater
Junior
And1: 43

Post#475 » by Floater » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:05 pm

Ted later in the season : "Yes we are 0-67 but you have to admire the Pistons effort last night. Drummond is really coming into his own, Stuckey looks like a stud, and Prince is a future HOF. He'd be a very fine addition and I'd like to lock him up for 2-3 more years around 40million. He could be the vet to put us over the top. We are close, so close my Wiz fans. Speaking of close, any day now John Wall should be able to start practicing. The midseason trade of Seraphin for Samuel Dalenbert hasn't quite panned out like I hoped but his veteran presence in the locker room alone was worth the trade. The sun will come out tomorrow, just stick with us, guys. Finally, even though Nene had his foot surgically removed, there is still hope that his new prosthetic foot might allow him to get back on the court within the next 2-3 years."
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#476 » by closg00 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:05 pm

jivelikenice wrote:Ted just doesn't get it. This organization is a laughing stock amongst media, fans, and the NBA world....Yet he feels like he's in the right and we're all wrong.

After hearing the Blatche interview on 106.7, i'm even more flabbergasted that Ted thought Dray deserved an extension, should be viewed as a building block, and kept thinking he was redeemable. Makes me really question his judgement....

Remember, it was or genius GM who approached Ted and sold him on extending Dray. I wonder if this was before or after he received his two-year extension.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#477 » by pineappleheadindc » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:33 pm

Ted's take for Tuesday, 11/27. "A Step Back Last Night" (Link)

A step back, Ted? Yes, if you're measuring success via the Kevin Broom Moral Victory metric.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"

- Yoda
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#478 » by miller31time » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:00 am

Just for posterity, I'll post what I wrote and what I expect will be removed from Ted's Take....

I'll echo what others have said (and continue to say year after frustrating year) -- this is a problem that starts with the top.

I don't know what your intentions are in terms of player/personnel changes (and I'm assuming something will be done soon whether it be a coaching change, roster trade, etc) but please keep in mind that with a franchise that's in the place we are currently, minor moves or coaching changes are akin to re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

This team needs a culture change and as I said in the beginning of this post - it starts at the top. I know you are a man that cares deeply about winning and even more deeply about your connection with your base. It's commendable and rare and I truly appreciate it. So if you're in fact reading these comments, please don't get discouraged or read over them with the attitude that "they're just upset at the poor record and are being irrational" -- the message of these posters and thousands more who don't post here but are true fans of the team is sound -- the GM position has to be changed.

I've always liked Ernie Grunfeld the person but have always questioned Ernie Grunfeld the general manager. I think his intentions are good but his execution, eye for talent, consistency and long-term goal are questionable at best. Even healthy, this Wizards team simply isn't that good. Yes, if Nene (a player who has struggled with injuries throughout his career) and Wall (who has had his troubles as well) play 82 games each, then we might creep up to 40 wins and a quick first round exit but what's truly unfortunate but predictable is that our ceiling simply isn't very high.

And the reason our ceiling isn't very high is because of the short-sighted moves made by Mr. Grunfeld. Moves like trading our 5th pick for Randy Foye and Mike Miller (something that was almost unanimously detested by fans and pundits alike when the trade was made). Moves like trading a soon-to-be 20mil expiring contract in Rashard Lewis for two redundant and overpriced players in Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza. Had we kept Lewis, cut him (and only payed the 9mil guaranteed in his deal) and amnestied Blatche, we would have had max capspace. Now, your counter to this is presumably "what superstar would come to Washington" and you're correct - none. But players like James Harden or (to a lesser extent) Ryan Anderson might have. I'll take them over Ariza and Okafor and I think you would too.

The Vesely selection will go down as a bad pick and this is where Mr. Grunfeld's eye for talent comes into question. So what we were told at draft day was that he loved Jan's transition/athletic ability next to Wall. But unfortunately, there's a lot more to the game of basketball than athletic ability. We could have made almost any other pick and we would have come up with a better player (Leonard, Walker, etc).

I'm sorry to ramble like this, Mr. Leonsis, but I'm a very frustrated fan. And this frustration hasn't been because of the 0-12 start -- I'm frustrated because of the direction of this team, long-term. I've been a passionate fan of this franchise for over 15 years now and have spent countless amounts of money on merchandise and tickets. I've gotten friends of mine interested in basketball and the Wizards simply because of my own personal obsession with them.

Mr. Grunfeld's management of this franchise to this point has really made me re-think my own fanhood of this organization and if he is retained for much longer, I'm afraid I can't support a team that has been my life ever since I was 8 years old.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and other comments, Mr. Leonsis. Your commitment to bringing a winning team to D.C is greatly appreciated and I really hope that better pieces are put in place to give your passion and vision something to work with.

- A very frustrated fan
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#479 » by dangermouse » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:16 am

What would Mark Cuban do in an 0-11 season, in which we were supposed to make some noise? He would probably whinge and cry and come up with all kinds of inflammatory remarks about the league in the media, but heads would roll. He'd clean house.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Earth2Ted
Junior

Post#480 » by Earth2Ted » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:30 am

Frank Hanrahan on 106.7 this morning said that Ernie and Wittman both agreed to take pay cuts to stay on this year.

So the guys on the show came to the conclusion that Ted is just too cheap to hire a real GM and coach.

If this keeps up it won't be long before we're all waxing nostalgic for the good old days with the Pollins and Susan O'Malley.

Return to Washington Wizards