The Amazingly Suck Theodore Leonsis Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

llcc25
Senior
And1: 1

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread 

Post#406 » by llcc25 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:47 pm

verbal8 wrote:
miller31time wrote:Got my comment deleted on "Ted's Take". It was a bit preachy but I didn't think I crossed any lines.

I don't disagree with anything you said. I think it may have been deleted because it comes across as being a personal attack on Grunfeld. You might have been able to not get the post removed, if it had been more generic about the moves made by the front office.

Hopefully, whoever deleted it conveyed the message to Ted.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,213

Post#407 » by MikeTheKid » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:55 pm

miller31time wrote:Got my comment deleted on "Ted's Take". It was a bit preachy but I didn't think I crossed any lines.

I can't believe my comment is still there however I just went straight to the point:

Michael Johnson on November 14, 2012 at 11:50 AM said:
Your comment is awaiting moderation.
To be honest Mr. Leonsis, the organization would take a huge step forward if you would relieve Mr. Grunfeld and his front office staff of there duties and bring in a GM/Staff that specializes in signing and developing players that compliment Wizards players properly.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#408 » by Nivek » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:02 pm

Maybe Ted would enjoy this take on the season: Wizards leading NBA with 6-1 Moral Victory Record
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#409 » by nuposse04 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:45 pm

I posted something as well, I think I took a diplomatic stance not sure if it'll stay up:

"Ted, I'm not sure if you'll actually read this, but what they heck. I'm not that old, in my mid twenties, but I've watched 90% of every wizards game since the Jordon/Rip Hamilton days. I honestly think your ownership of the team is being handicapped. You've made some good long term adjustments and I absolutely agree with your philosophy of building through the draft. The problem is, and any hardcore fan of the game of basketball can tell you this, is that our GM, isn't one known for his drafting prowess. I like the effort Randy is getting from the team, and if this was a rebuilding year, I wouldn't be so mad, but wasn't it playoffs or bust this year? I understand wanting stable veterans, but what does stability matter if it just leads to more losing? Its easy for me to make judgement in retrospect but myself along with many other passionate wizards fans were terrified of the decision making Ernie would deliver. I'm confident a core of Wall, Beal, Seraphin and a potentially healthy Nene could lead this team somewhere (with some actual bright spots and improvement in Singleton, Price and Webster), but Grunfeld has mortgaged away the ability acquire real talent for this team and has drafted some questionable pieces as well (not all under your tenure).

I want to buy tickets to go see the team, I just don't know if I can in good conscious as a fan fiscally support Ernie Grunfeld's continual failed decision making. I hope I'm wrong, I hope it all turns out for the better, and as a sports fan, I'll keep believing when every other logical fiber in my body tells me there is no reason to, because if there is one thing being a wizards fans fortifies, its character.

Sincerely yours,

A defeated wizards fan. "

I just read millertime's piece, you probably make your points clearer. I think they should have allowed that. You didn't make any personal attacks outside of "grunfeldian" I guess.
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Post#410 » by JAR69 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:56 pm

Nivek wrote:Maybe Ted would enjoy this take on the season: Wizards leading NBA with 6-1 Moral Victory Record

:lol: :clap:
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#411 » by queridiculo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:57 pm

Anybody else amused by the fact that tedstake is an anagram for Stake Ted?
llcc25
Senior
And1: 1

Post#412 » by llcc25 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:30 pm

I just emailed Jason Reid of Wash Post. Told him its time to bring back that piece he wrote last year when Flip was fired where he basically said Ernie was the one that needed to go since he was the architect behind that mess. I have a feeling Jason will follow through with a scathing piece shortly. The end will be very near for Ernie IMO.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#413 » by tontoz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:06 pm

:lol: @ MV situations.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#414 » by dandridge 10 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:46 pm

I also had my post on Ted Take deleted. Its kind of sad that they are sanitizing the comments. Ted is definitely losing my respect and support.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#415 » by queridiculo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:56 pm

Also quite interesting is that he follows those deletions up with a cryptic post about Twitter trolls..
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#416 » by keynote » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:40 pm

Might as well pile on. Here's my post; we'll see if it gets deleted:
This has been a tough season to watch, agreed. There was a time where I thought the Wizards were on the right trajectory, but I don’t see that now. Too many personnel moves seem to be made from a position of weakness, and in a state of reaction. Too few draft picks have panned out. I applaud you for upgrading the in-arena experience and the analytic tools; however, at some point, I think you bring in a new team to make basketball decisions for the franchise. I’m sure the current regime has had the best of intentions over the past 9+ years, but at some point, they need to be judged by their record, and not by the litany of “extenuating circumstances.” I can’t name more than 2 or 3 other teams with a weaker combination of talent, upside, and cap flexibility than the Wizards. And, after a decade of ineptitude that maxed out at medicrity, it’s time for something – and someone – else.

I don’t live in the area anymore, but I used to make a concerted effort to visit family in MD and check out a Wizards game 2-3 times per year. I will always support the Wizards with my heart. But I agree with other commenters: it’s hard right now to justify supporting this team with my wallet.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#417 » by MF23 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:08 am

The day Ted Leonsis makes a public statement about the Wizards EG makes a roster move. Procrastination won't work.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
sipndip
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#418 » by sipndip » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:56 am

Love how this board is beginning to fill up Ted's comments sections. With the amount of posts he puts each day on the blog, I'm sure he must read the comments. Forget about wearing a bag over your head, this is really the best way we can try to promote regime change in the GM office.

I got this comment accepted the other day. It was the first comment of mine that was accepted and most of my previous ones were much harsher. The comment was in response to Ted's blog entry about not getting to the free throw line....

John on November 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM said:
Hi Ted,

Appreciate your blog. Not getting to the free throw line, however, is just one of many symptoms of the fact that this team is not competitive. Even with Nene and John Wall back, it is not likely a good enough team to make the playoffs. This would be easier to stomach if the team were in full rebuilding mode. But now that Mr. Grunfeld has loaded up on costly veteran role players, the youngsters are not getting the playing time to develop, and we still have a mediocre team. Watch us improve enough once we are healthy to land a pick in the middle or end of the lottery that will not get us a game changing player. I know you defend Mr. Grunfeld by saying he has done all you have asked, but he has been GM for nine years and during that time the Wiz have the league’s 3rd worst winning percentage (.392). Isn’t that a large enough sample size to reach the inevitable conclusion?
rockymac52
Sixth Man
And1: 73

Post#419 » by rockymac52 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:29 am

I find it really odd that so many of this board's comments are being deleted (or not accepted/posted). It's really off-putting. Leaves me with a real bad taste in my mouth about the Wizards organization as a whole (and I genuinely really like Ted as an owner).

I wonder who reads and approves/deletes the comments on his blog. Ted is clearly a tech-savvy guy, and he's demonstrated an ability and willingness to interact with fans through several forms of social media in the past, so I'm inclined to think that he would moderate the comments himself. But then again, he's obviously a very busy man, and it's very reasonable, if not expected, that he'd have someone else moderating them for him.

Either way, I am upset and quite honestly, surprised and confused that this is occurring. It doesn't sound like something that Ted would support. It's almost censorship, to a certain extent. Yes, it's his blog and he doesn't have to allow anyone to post comments at all in the first place. And yes, he can theoretically choose which comments are allowed to be posted. But for someone who preaches about interacting with fans, especially online, and hearing and responding to their opinions, it just shocks me that he'd want to delete or disapprove fans' comments. That's why I'm more inclined to think he has someone else moderating them for him. The question then becomes if he still sees the deleted comments, and if he is aware that this other person is deleting many of the more negative ones.

I sincerely hope that Ted isn't the one moderating and deleting these comments, and I also sincerely hope that he is unaware that whoever is in charge of moderating them is deleting perfectly reasonable and appropriate comments just because they aren't supportive of the Wizards or one of their employees.

Just as fans have a right to their opinions, they have a right to express them online on his blog, as long as he allows others to comment as well. This isn't Soviet Russia, we're allowed to speak out against something if we believe in it. If people's comments were being deleted because they were vulgar or inappropriate or perhaps they slandered someone, I'd have no problem with it. I'd be in support of that. Those things don't belong on his website. But well-written and logical analyses by Wizards fans that happen to be on the negative side? Those have every right to be on his website.

I hope someone can reach out to Ted and alert him of the censorship that is occurring, if he doesn't already know. Or at the very least, even if the censorship continues, I hope the negative messages are still at least reaching Ted. He's a smart man. He's a tough man too. I'd like to think he'd want to hear the negative opinions from fans, as well as the positive ones, so long as they're written in a serious and somewhat professional sense.

Were any of you whose comments were deleted given any notice that they were being taken down, or disapproved for posting, and were you given any explanation as to why?
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#420 » by miller31time » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:28 am

rockymac52 wrote:(snip)

Were any of you whose comments were deleted given any notice that they were being taken down, or disapproved for posting, and were you given any explanation as to why?

First of all, really nice post, rockymac. You're absolutely right that a post shouldn't be removed simply because it has a negative tone. Posts should be removed if they don't adhere to a site's terms of service or code of conduct. Posts like mine and dandridge's were voicing our frustration but it was done so in a calm, logical manner.

Apparently, Ted's take only takes on rainbows and sunshine. And that's really tough to do!

(PS: The idea of issuing an apology due to the team's performance, while simultaneously deleting posts that basically give a reasoning for the team's performance seems.....ironic)
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#421 » by hands11 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:46 am

It amazes me that you guys are surprised.

This is his blog, not yours. He doesn't even need to allow comments to be left. This is a piece of his marketing and outreach. Not a realgm thread.

Its one thing to email him privately for him to read. Its another to go to his house and stick signs on his front yard that says, your an idiot for signing EG to a two year contract. For the record. Telling a multimillionaire that he made a mistake in hiring his highest level executive to a two year contract month after he did it... yeah.. I'm sure he enjoys the feed back. Some person he has no idea who they are that doesn't even understand that they are insulting him on his own blog. He's probably giving those comments some serious consideration.

If you want to bitch, you can do it here and the people that choose to visit this site can read it or they can block you. Hell, our stuff even shows up in a Google search. You can even post on the WP. But getting upset that he or someone that manages his site deletes messages on his own site ? Really ?

Look. The man purchased the Wizards, not the Lakers. I'm sure he got a good deal on this restoration project. Hell, when he bought it, the car was still on fire. I guess if money is no object, he could have thrown a ton at it and maybe have done a quick turnaround. But that wasn't his plan. He walked into this eye open knowing it was going to take more then two years. And he never said playoffs or bust this year.

This is the beginning of the third season of the rebuild and he is missing his two best players, one of which is the PG to run the team. The second is is most established talented post player. If Wall and Nene don't make it back in a reasonable amount of time, maybe they end up tanking again. If so, he gets another asset. In the grand scheme, sucking the first three years is small potatoes considering he will probably own the team another 15-20 years. Such is the way of a restoration project. Sometimes you just don't know what it is going to take. This wasn't a car that just needed a new alternator. And right now, his turbo isn't installed but he has bought one. Same with the headers. And when he gets those installed, we will see how the car runs.

Cut the man some slack. He only signed EG and Randy to two year deals. That is the window for them. Then he will evaluate and decide the next window.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 359

Post#422 » by Benjammin » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:31 pm

This is what I just posted on the "Self-Expression is Good" thread on Ted's take. We'll see if it sees the light of day or not.

Mr. Leonsis,

I appreciate your accessibility to the fans of the Wizards and Capitals. You have made your fortune in part on recognizing the importance of treating customers well and putting their interests in the forefront.

I am disappointed and dismayed that comments to your blog have been deleted, simply because they have had a negative tone (not comments I have posted). My understanding is that these comments have not been rude or profane in any matter. Obviously, this is your blog and you can see fit to handle it in whatever manner you choose. However, stifling legitimate and reasoned discourse is not an effective strategy in this age of media. Rather, any attempt to control the message and flow of information is counterproductive.

Wizards fans are some of the most loyal and long-suffering fans on the face of the planet. Many Wizards fans have no memory or experience of a team that consistently played on a high level. Rather, over the last nine years the winning percentage is .392, and that includes some exciting years with players like Arenas and Jamison.

I would hope you would carefully consider that a robust, but respectful dialogue and exchange of ideas will ultimately be more beneficial to your relationship with the fans of your franchises and will engender more respect and understanding from both fans and the team.

Respecfully Yours,
Ben (a Wizards/Bullets and Caps fan for over 35 years)
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#423 » by montestewart » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:23 pm

I can understand why Leonsis and staff (acting with his approval, of course) might want to pare down an avalanche of negative posts, but it would be nice if a representative tone maintained. Leonsis' blog is a primary means of communicating with Wizards fans. By removing the posts that don't meet with his approval he blatantly tells fans he's no longer really that interested in two-way communication with his customers (unless it's a losing basketball for money exchange). People that buy a franchise buy the goodwill and public trust that goes with it. Leonsis cannot do whatever he pleases with the Wizards. If hardcore Wizards fans are so unimportant that he can so easily dismiss their non-dollar input, he's tacitly slapping us in the face for the irrationality of our fandom, and the results will continue to show negatively as he loses fans and money.

Over time, I've seen Leonsis turn a deaf ear to valid criticism of his moves, and start to treat fans like unimportant cattle. But I'm a fan of the Wizards/Bullets, not of one of Leonsis' expensive possessions. I saw this coming last year, which is a primary reason that I didn't renew. I can see by some of the other comments here that others did likewise, and still more are considering the same for next year. He really ought to watch it, because once you lose a paying customer, it can be for good. And then how will he pay for all those free agents that will never sign in DC?
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#424 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:54 pm

That's the only way to get a business man's ear at times. Empty his wallets and let him face the reality of the sinking bottom line. Money talks. Let them keep losing to force a change. I'm enough of a fan to know that he can sell the team and move it and I would be fine with that. I still like basketball. If this owner takes offense so easily and is so prideful, let him sell the team. I think the better bet would be to trust those who've loved the team for years and to just start winning some games.

Learn from history, Mr. Leonsis.

When MJ bought in to the Wizards in 2000, and before he returned as a player, the Wizards were 19-63. They went 37-45 twice before MJ and Pollin parted ways. All it took was one player, Gilbert Arenas to turn the team around. For four straight seasons from 2004-2005 to 2007-2008, they made the playoffs. Then Gil got hurt. The team went full circle, returning to 19-63 after Eddie Jordan was replaced by Ed Tapscott.

How have things turned out since then?

All you have to do is replace Grunfeld and Tapscott. Trust that your team is ONE PLAYER AWAY from being MORE competitive than they were with Gilbert. This team is one trade away from being a good playoff team. This team is one coach away from being a championship contender in 3-4 years. Replace what has not quite worked out but keep things positive. The fans need to stop coming to games until you redress the mistakes, but don't lose heart.

If that's too much, I hope you sell (because I do know you have people reading this).
Bye bye Beal.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#425 » by miller31time » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:That's the only way to get a business man's ear at times. Empty his wallets and let him face the reality of the sinking bottom line. Money talks.

Absolutely right.

I bought a nice authentic Wall jersey and Draft hat last year and spent hundreds on tickets to about 10 home games.

All in all, that's almost $600 that I spent on the Wizards last year. This season, they aren't getting a penny. I know I'm not the only one out there, too.

Ted will feel this where it hurts the most - the pocketbook. Didn't he even say that's his "bottom line"?

Return to Washington Wizards