yardbarker

NCAA Wiretap Headlines

The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, pineappleheadindc, WizStorm, nate33, miller31time

Post#631 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:54 pm by hands11

This team simply can't afford to tank another entire season away. Since the Gil thing happened it been like one dark cloud. They did a ton to clean up the mess and the light finally started to shine starting at the end of last season. The Nene for McGee trade was actually a good trade. We were all happy we got Beal. Well at least most of us were. But now that you have Nene, you need to go for it and add the pieces. You can't just sit back and tank. We have to win now while you have Nene and Wall coming into his prime.

As was the 2011 draft. Ves, Singleton and Mack. Really ?

You draft a 3 and D SF with your second pick and you don't even have your core starter worked out ? Hell, I'll even give him a pass on Ves. Yes he is a project but at least he is long, athletic and has an old school approach to the game. Kid isn't just about scoring. You can actually develop a player like that in time and he fits better with better players. But they need production now. They could have had a very solid center in Nikola Vucevic. Could have had a SG that is long in Brooks. We needed a future center and we need a Nick replacement.

Wall
Brooks/Crawford/Mason
Trevor A/Webster
Nene/James Singleton/Kevin
Okafor/Vucevic

Thats not even counting what you would have gotten in this years draft. Hell, they could have added anything they wanted. Barnes, Lillard. Beal, Drummond

If they had the above roster, they very could have gone Lillard. I could make a case for every one of them.

It wouldn't have mattered because non of them would have been starting. Actually if they went Lillard, he would be starting with Wall out and the team would not have sucked. And the worst of our problems would be, what do we do with Wall and Lillard when Wall return. Hell, even Beal would have fit in better.
Step by Step - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1269473&start=45&p=36843686&view=show#p36843686

Why so many poster have hotties as avatars. If anything screams can't get any, that would be it.
hands11
RealGM
And1: 1,228

Post#632 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:24 pm by payitforward

I've posted *many* comments on Ted's blog that have been denied. Here's what I made in response to his idiotic "Jordan Crawford's Positive Attitude" post:

Jordan Crawford has improved in his third season — his numbers are just about that of an average NBA 2-guard.

That’s it. Pretty sad if we’re hanging our hat on this. When will it be time to look in the mirror and say “we’ve made a series of bad decisions, one after the other. We’re going to have to start over. Scratch this rebuild, and on to the next rebuild.”

You don’t see these comments, and you certainly don’t read them. You don’t give them any weight, and you don’t look at anything outside the already-decided narrow perspective in weighing your own work here and that of your Front Office.

We just got dismantled by one of the worst teams in the league. Congratulations.

You keep saying “John Wall is our longest-tenured player.” Actually, we have 4 guys out of the 2010 draft, and 3 of them are equally long-tenured — Seraphin and Booker in addition to Wall. Crawford arrived a bit later that season.

Houston has exactly one player who’s been with the team as long as that group has been with us, Patrick Patterson. They started rebuilding from a disaster (loss of their franchise player, Yao Ming) right when we started rebuilding.

Darryl Morey has made a series of bold and clever moves, and his team is already well on its way up the ladder. He also is paying almost $20m less than we are in salary this year, and he has much more cap flexibility going forward.

Morey is starting a guy at the 3 who was taken a few picks *after* we took Shelvin Mack, whom we cut. He’s starting a guy at the 4 who was taken several picks *after* we took Jan Vesely (who had 1 rebound in 30 minutes last night — leave aside his pathetic shooting).

Morey is also getting 15 outstanding minutes a night from a guy who went undrafted that same year, and whom I was repeatedly calling for us to pick up after the draft. He has 4 rookies on his squad, and he has 4 2d year players as well — and at least 3 guys in their 3d year.

He also managed to sign a highly productive, reasonably-priced Center as a FA, not to mention Jeremy Lin (another guy I touted before the ’10 draft). And he managed to trade for one of the best players in the league as well.

What’s wrong, Ted? When are you going to make it right? Please replace Ernie Grunfield with a real GM, and then please give him a reasonable set of financial constraints and get out of his way.

I’m glad Jordan Crawford has “a positive attitude.” For heaven’s sake, man — don’t you get embarrassed when you assess what you’ve done here? Are you really thinking that a healthy John Wall takes us very far? He took us where last year?

This comment won’t get through moderation. Even if it does (and a few have since I figured out that saying my comments wouldn’t get online might help them actually get there), you won’t read it.

You are not taking in any information from anywhere but the mirror. As we all know, the mirror lies.
People say I'm mellowing with age. Nah.

It is still not possible to formulate a counter-argument -- even if I say... Is so!
payitforward
Veteran
And1: 380

Post#633 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:58 pm by hands11

Step by Step - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1269473&start=45&p=36843686&view=show#p36843686

Why so many poster have hotties as avatars. If anything screams can't get any, that would be it.
hands11
RealGM

Post#634 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:07 am by pineappleheadindc

Pine on December 28, 2012 at 12:05 AM said:
Your comment is awaiting moderation.
Perhaps this comment is way out of line, but perhaps the Wizards wouldn’t have trouble closing out close games against fellow NBA bottom dwellers if we had a GM who knew how to assemble a roster.

Could that possibly be it?
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
pineappleheadindc

Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 480

Post#635 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:18 am by Halcyon

Everyday I check this site, hoping that Ernie has been fired. He's the last clown GM left in town (with Jim Bowden and Vinny Cerrato ousted long ago). Ted is holding back the area from becoming a dynasty town, with the Nats becoming legit championship contenders, and the Skins on the way there.

Ted is losing generations of fans right now, with no end in sight.
Halcyon
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#636 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:06 am by Chaos Revenant

hands11 wrote: I thought he was a marketing guy.

That's exactly the problem.

Ted knows how to MARKET.

He doesn't know how to build.

I'm honestly curious as to how he made all his AOL money, and what role he was in. A lot of these CEOs make their fortunes not by being able to assemble a competent team or by innovating a product or taking entrepreneurial risk, but by being able to sell stuff and shift resources around.

Compare how Mark Cuban and Ted Leonsis made their fortunes. The thing with Cuban is that he BUILT his fortune from the ground up. Leonsis really didn't. Dan Snyder had a similar background - a marketer, not a builder.
"Those two weeks when the Wizards looked like an actual good team? Probably going to keep the Wizards from ever actually turning into a good team." - Andrew Sharp, Grantland.
Chaos Revenant
Sixth Man
And1: 34

Post#637 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:17 am by mohammed10

payitforward wrote:I've posted *many* comments on Ted's blog that have been denied. Here's what I made in response to his idiotic "Jordan Crawford's Positive Attitude" post:

Jordan Crawford has improved in his third season — his numbers are just about that of an average NBA 2-guard.

That’s it. Pretty sad if we’re hanging our hat on this. When will it be time to look in the mirror and say “we’ve made a series of bad decisions, one after the other. We’re going to have to start over. Scratch this rebuild, and on to the next rebuild.”

You don’t see these comments, and you certainly don’t read them. You don’t give them any weight, and you don’t look at anything outside the already-decided narrow perspective in weighing your own work here and that of your Front Office.

We just got dismantled by one of the worst teams in the league. Congratulations.

You keep saying “John Wall is our longest-tenured player.” Actually, we have 4 guys out of the 2010 draft, and 3 of them are equally long-tenured — Seraphin and Booker in addition to Wall. Crawford arrived a bit later that season.

Houston has exactly one player who’s been with the team as long as that group has been with us, Patrick Patterson. They started rebuilding from a disaster (loss of their franchise player, Yao Ming) right when we started rebuilding.

Darryl Morey has made a series of bold and clever moves, and his team is already well on its way up the ladder. He also is paying almost $20m less than we are in salary this year, and he has much more cap flexibility going forward.

Morey is starting a guy at the 3 who was taken a few picks *after* we took Shelvin Mack, whom we cut. He’s starting a guy at the 4 who was taken several picks *after* we took Jan Vesely (who had 1 rebound in 30 minutes last night — leave aside his pathetic shooting).

Morey is also getting 15 outstanding minutes a night from a guy who went undrafted that same year, and whom I was repeatedly calling for us to pick up after the draft. He has 4 rookies on his squad, and he has 4 2d year players as well — and at least 3 guys in their 3d year.

He also managed to sign a highly productive, reasonably-priced Center as a FA, not to mention Jeremy Lin (another guy I touted before the ’10 draft). And he managed to trade for one of the best players in the league as well.

What’s wrong, Ted? When are you going to make it right? Please replace Ernie Grunfield with a real GM, and then please give him a reasonable set of financial constraints and get out of his way.

I’m glad Jordan Crawford has “a positive attitude.” For heaven’s sake, man — don’t you get embarrassed when you assess what you’ve done here? Are you really thinking that a healthy John Wall takes us very far? He took us where last year?

This comment won’t get through moderation. Even if it does (and a few have since I figured out that saying my comments wouldn’t get online might help them actually get there), you won’t read it.

You are not taking in any information from anywhere but the mirror. As we all know, the mirror lies.

:bowdown:

I nominate this as a HOF post...
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
mohammed10

Assistant Coach
And1: 143

Post#638 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:22 am by mohammed10

pineappleheadindc wrote:Pine on December 28, 2012 at 12:05 AM said:
Your comment is awaiting moderation.
Perhaps this comment is way out of line, but perhaps the Wizards wouldn’t have trouble closing out close games against fellow NBA bottom dwellers if we had a GM who knew how to assemble a roster.

Could that possibly be it?

Pine - all I can say is thank goodness Real GM does not have the 'awaiting moderator' feature. Otherwise, NOTHING bad would ever get posted about the Wizards!

...and Ji would be exiled

mohammed10

Assistant Coach

Post#639 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:25 am by mohammed10

Chaos Revenant wrote:
He doesn't know how to build.

I'm honestly curious as to how he made all his AOL money, and what role he was in. A lot of these CEOs make their fortunes not by being able to assemble a competent team or by innovating a product or taking entrepreneurial risk, but by being able to sell stuff and shift resources around.

Compare how Mark Cuban and Ted Leonsis made their fortunes. The thing with Cuban is that he BUILT his fortune from the ground up. Leonsis really didn't. Dan Snyder had a similar background - a marketer, not a builder.

Hmmm...is that why The Danny and Ted are not on Shark Tank?

mohammed10

Assistant Coach

Post#640 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:22 am by Jay81

just curious but what does Ernie do at work on a day to day basis. Serious question
Jay81
Sixth Man
And1: 116

Post#641 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:35 am by payitforward

Ted posted another dumb "...don't know how to win close games" entry. I commented as follows:

Oh, Ted… you know perfectly well that there is no such thing as “knowing how to win close games.” Better teams win more games; worse teams win fewer games. We are a terrible team.

What makes a team good? In the NBA, it’s pretty simple: better players make better teams. The reason we’re better when Nene is on the floor is that he’s such a good player.

The reason we’re bad overall is that overall we have a roster of really bad players. How could there be any other reason, Ted? Do you really want to blame it all on John Wall’s injury? Has John Wall led us to lots of wins in the past? When did he show he was a “franchise player?” I must have missed that.

Why do we have a roster of really bad players? Well, as you’ve pointed out, you’ve turned over the entire roster. You and Ernie chose this entire roster. So, Ernie is the reason we have bad players, and to the degree that you enabled him you too are the reason.

Nene is terrific, but he seems to be a 20-25 minute player who’s under contract for the next 4 years at $13 million a year. Do you really think you made a good trade for him? Better than simply using the cap room you’d have had by letting JaVale go?

Have Okafor and Ariza (before he got hurt) accomplished what you expected when you traded for them — a trade you bragged about (!) on this blog? More than you’d have gotten by buying out Rashard Lewis and acquiring lets say Brand rather than Okafor and some other SF on the FA market?

Did Price show anything to make you think he was a good signing? That it made sense to pluck him out of the air as he was falling out of the NBA because of his 3 years of bad play?

Did you have a successful 2011 draft, Ted? You really think so?

When do you step up, take responsibility for the disastrous mess you’ve made, and make the moves you need to make? When?

You’re in a hole. Please stop digging.

And puh-lease stop asking for “patience.” We’re heading in the wrong direction, Ted. The longer we’re “patient,” the farther from our goals we’ll be when you finally have no choice but to fire Ernie.

Admitting error is a strength, not a weakness. It’s the first step towards “winning the close ones.”

What do you think, will his gatekeepers let it through? Will they even let him see it? :)

It is still not possible to formulate a counter-argument -- even if I say... Is so!
payitforward
Veteran

Post#642 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:43 am by hands11

Halcyon wrote:Everyday I check this site, hoping that Ernie has been fired. He's the last clown GM left in town (with Jim Bowden and Vinny Cerrato ousted long ago). Ted is holding back the area from becoming a dynasty town, with the Nats becoming legit championship contenders, and the Skins on the way there.

Ted is losing generations of fans right now, with no end in sight.

From a marketing perspective, it looks like that train is already leaving the station. Its called RG3

I wrote about this some years ago when the Skins sucked and the Nats hadn't shown up yet. The city was ripe for the taking. It was a matter of who stopped screwing up first. Looks like it was The Dan. He brought in Shanny and got ride of Vinny 3 years ago. Now you see the fruit of that decision. Going all in for RG3 and getting Cousins as the back up is looking brilliant. So is finding Alfred in the later rounds.

The Wiz need to try to win now. Like you said, you have the Skins, The Nats and the Caps already who are sucking all the air out of the room.

They need a bold move like getting Phil as VP. That would be your MJ move only Phil actually knows how to get it done already as a front office person. He has the name and the experience.

Ted said he wasn't afraid to spend when spending made sense. Well, now is the time. Getting Phil involved would add instant cred to the team and he is the ultimate when it comes to motivating players. Phil is the ultimate player development person. He develops their minds. Skill, production, and winning follow.

hands11
RealGM

Post#643 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:16 am by LyricalRico

hands11 wrote:They need a bold move like getting Phil as VP. That would be your MJ move only Phil actually knows how to get it done already as a front office person. He has the name and the experience.

Ted said he wasn't afraid to spend when spending made sense. Well, now is the time. Getting Phil involved would add instant cred to the team and he is the ultimate when it comes to motivating players. Phil is the ultimate player development person. He develops their minds. Skill, production, and winning follow.

From all the reports of what Phil wanted to be the coach of the Lakers, I'd expect him to demand a minority ownership stake (in addition, of course, to a huge salary). Not sure Ted gives that up. He already tried that with MJ and it didn't work.
LyricalRico

Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 216

Post#644 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:28 am by hands11

LyricalRico wrote:
hands11 wrote:They need a bold move like getting Phil as VP. That would be your MJ move only Phil actually knows how to get it done already as a front office person. He has the name and the experience.

From all the reports of what Phil wanted to be the coach of the Lakers, I'd expect him to demand a minority ownership stake (in addition, of course, to a huge salary). Not sure Ted gives that up. He already tried that with MJ and it didn't work.

That was Abe.

It actually makes decent sense if you think about it. Ted has both the Caps and the Wiz to worry about. He could use some help. He could let Phil focus more on the Wizards and he could focus more on the Caps. And if it work, he has a better team and he makes more money. He can focus on the marketing and let Phil focus on building the franchise. Its actually a good fit and it would be a brilliant marketing move. Phil is the name and smart this franchise needs. He would help pull in the bigger fish. Phil is a winner.

The MJ plan was actually not a complete failure. MJ made Abe a ton on money and he did clean house of bad contracts. It was just that Abe then screwed MJ. Phil would give you all the name that MJ did only he already has the front office experience.

Brilliant if he can pull it off. This is the kind of move the Ted needs to make to jump start this team from its losing ways.

hands11
RealGM

Post#645 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:35 am by LyricalRico

^ Yes, Abe was the majority owner at the time, but wasn't Ted the one who brought MJ in? IIRC Ted had already bought the Caps from Abe and he was trying to build the Wizards brand in preparation for taking them over upon Abe's death.

But either way, my point was that Phil wouldn't want to be viewed as doing the same thing MJ did with the same team. Maybe he'd do it somewhere else, but not in DC IMO.
LyricalRico

Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 216

Post#646 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:40 am by hands11

LyricalRico wrote:^ Yes, Abe was the majority owner at the time, but wasn't Ted the one who brought MJ in? IIRC Ted had already bought the Caps from Abe and he was trying to build the Wizards brand in preparation for taking them over upon Abe's death.

But either way, my point was that Phil wouldn't want to be viewed as doing the same thing MJ did with the same team. Maybe he'd do it somewhere else, but not in DC IMO.

I think you are right that it was Ted, which makes it potentially more probable that he would be interested in doing this. Obviously he thinks that way since he did it once before. What I don't know is to what degree Ted was involved in kicking MJ to the curb. If that was more Abe then him, then maybe he would try it again. A lot would depend on how clean Teds hands are regarding the MJ thing.

If he was able to land MJ. Maybe he has the skills to land Phil. I know it is a long shot but it is the hot topic at hand.

There are some similarities between where the franchise was then and now only I think they are in a better situation now then they were then. The have picks and better assets.

EG would get moved into more of a contract guy ala George Allen. Phil would direct the franchise. Phil would be great for Wall and Nene and he has the Trevor A connection. And Phil could help pull in the right coach after evaluating Randy.

This is exactly the kind of splash Ted needs to make to get this thing turned around. Its a long shot but it is potentially doable. The Washington/Baltimore/Frederick/Virginia/DE market is potentially HUGE. I would offer Phil part ownership.

hands11
RealGM

Post#647 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:02 am by payitforward

LyricalRico wrote:^ Yes, Abe was the majority owner at the time, but wasn't Ted the one who brought MJ in? IIRC Ted had already bought the Caps from Abe and he was trying to build the Wizards brand in preparation for taking them over upon Abe's death.

In other words, you think he wouldn't do a financial deal in which he stood to make a huge amount of money doing something for which he has demonstrated skills, because he "wouldn't want to be viewed as..." whatever? Really?

But I doubt it's on offer.

payitforward
Veteran

Post#648 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:25 am by pancakes3

Phil is a pipe dream but it's a nice pipe dream. He wants ownership stakes, GM powers, but unfortunately what he really wants is another ring.
Bullets -> Wizards
pancakes3
Head Coach
And1: 195

Post#649 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:49 am by BigA

Phil Jackson is only going to a team set up to make a run at a championship. So not the Wizards, not the Nets.
BigA
Starter
And1: 11

Post#650 Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leons
Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:08 am by Halcyon

Well, I never thought MJ would play for the Wizards, so I guess anything is possible. But I do think that not only do we need a good GM to buy the groceries, we need a whole culture change. Having an established winner like Phil be the president would set the tone from the top down.
Halcyon
Sixth Man
And1: 20

PreviousNext

Return to Washington Wizards