ImageImageImageImageImage

Amazingly Sorry John Wall Thread? Improvement

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Re: Amazingly Sorry John Wall Thread 

Post#41 » by WizarDynasty » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:39 pm

all i ask for is that john wall show a "never bounce above the knee speed dribble that always bounces at his heel instead of in front of him" when he is inside the three point line. Is that too much to ask? He would be so much better at throwing defenses off balance and actually using his quickness.
We would be blowing teams away if he could just maintain a strong protected dribble instead of always leaving his feet when he gets in the lane. most of the times, he throws bad passes because his handle is just so weak.

that slow high dribble makes him completely predictable and unable to make pin point passes while he is moving because he is waiting so long for the ball to come back off the ground just to reach his hand. If he had a change of pace speed dribble, he could easily fake thrust drive to lane and as the defense collapses, reverse dribble and drop a pin point pass. he can't even dribble backwards once he is in the lane because his dribble is so high and slow. hinrich is the worst teacher when in comes to point guard handle. i don't see why wall isn't studying D. Williams and Chris Paul'ls point guard handles in slow motion every night. Someone on the team should force him to sit for 4 hours every night watching Chris Paul dribbling and where the ball hits the ground when he attacks. Even D.J. Augustine in the charlotte game on Sunday dribbling skills made hinrich and Wall look like freshman high school players.

Wall will not realize his potential until he can maintain a low to ground dribble that he can maintain in traffic. Right now, he is pulling up for a shot or passing when all he really needs to do is keep a low to ground dribble and watch the defense collapse. If he keeps the ball low, no one should be able to take it from him..and he can stall as long as he needs too until he finds the person's man who collapsed on him and make the pass. Right now, his dribble is so high and slow that he can't stall and instead forces stupid passes or forced shots. Nash simply maintain that low dribble and stalls and when the defense tries to recover after he stalls, he picks them apart. Wall should be able to blow by his man and any time forcing the defense to collapse and if he keeps teh ball low with a rapid dribble to his side...not in front of him after he drives below the free throw line...he should easily be able to pick the defense apart.

Please john wall, keep your dribble and stall the defense once you blow by your man, you should see that you have completely caused the defense to go into chaos, and if your handle is rapid and low, no one can take the ball from you.
please imitate Chris Paul's dribble skills, not hinrich, we wizards fans have suffered to long to see a number one overall draft pick waste his precious years when we should be destroying opponents.

If we had a competent coach, this poor handle you show in the half court would have been corrected along time ago. 4 hours of chris paul handles each night should be what Ted Leonsis forces his number draft pick to commit to instead of doing the doogie dance.

come on TEd LeONsis the savior you can make it happened lol.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
WizarDynasty
Veteran

Post#42 » by WizarDynasty » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:49 pm

Oh and get some new shoes, you can't even maintain your driving path because the shoes don't allow you to keep your balance on the baseline and over power smaller guards like augustine. also the shoes don't seem to allow you to make powerful low to the ground cuts or force you feet to play on your tippy toes. you have shoes that are designed for to have contact on the heels for each step but point guards always play on their tippy toes. Reebok clearly didn't customize those shoes because they make you look slower than what you really are.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
B-easy
Sixth Man
And1: 469

Post#43 » by B-easy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:19 pm

Why can't wall consistently hit fairly easy layups?
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,593

Post#44 » by pancakes3 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:27 pm

don't kid yourself B-easy, those layups are NOT easy.
Bullets -> Wizards
Black Eyed Sooz
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#45 » by Black Eyed Sooz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Wall is not 100% physically and his balance is off because of soreness somewhere (or perhaps everywhere). I think that's part of the reason he keeps hitting the deck, in addition to him trying to go to the hole aggressively. His lateral movement at the defensive end is also way off, like when Pooh Jeter blew past him for the tying bucket in regulation- and that is only the latest in a multitude of blow-bys since he 1st got injured.

Again, I hope they can find some time to let him rest and heal and not get some more serious injury from overcompensating from soreness.
WizarDynasty
Veteran

Post#46 » by WizarDynasty » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:14 pm

yeah on the slow mo replay...i saw Wall clutch his knee as jeter blew past him. That right knee is definitely bothering him... he still needs to practice with his left hand 3 dribble sprint stop and go with his left he has never been able to change speeds even when healthy.

Jason kidd has had bad knee to but he never let someone blow right past them for a game tier. Wall just hasn't put the time in studying the the great point guards and how they play offense and defense yet. Wall hasn't forced Saunders to create a 4th quarter playbook. isn't that interesting, a rookie point guard putting pressure on the coach to create a special 4th quarter playbook.
WizarDynasty
Veteran

Post#47 » by WizarDynasty » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:59 pm

So will wall blame his right knee again for getting allowing a blow by in the last few seconds of the fourth quarter in this game against the lowly timberwolves?
DallasShalDune
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Re: Amazingly Sorry John Wall Thread? Improvement 

Post#48 » by DallasShalDune » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Wall WILL be a perennial all-star. Wall WILL be the face of this franchise and he will do well in that role. Wall NEEDS to play defense if we're going to be a winning team. Two-way players win championships, and we need our leader (and eventually he will be our leader) to play defense and efficiently score and garner assists to ever hope to win one.
B-easy
Sixth Man

Post#49 » by B-easy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:58 am

Apparently wall is not 100%, that maybe the reason he hasn't been playing well. His explosiveness isn't there either. I think the best option would be for him to rest until he is fully healthy, agree?

EDIT:http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=1691&line=149912&spln=1
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#50 » by LyricalRico » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:29 pm

B-easy wrote:Apparently wall is not 100%, that maybe the reason he hasn't been playing well. His explosiveness isn't there either. I think the best option would be for him to rest until he is fully healthy, agree?

Well, assuming that the foot is fully healed, I don't think Wall is "injured" as much as he's just learning how to play with the pain that comes with the daily grind of the NBA. I remember guys like LeBron and Wade icing down after games very early in their careers. Maybe Wall should do the same thing. Hopefully as part of Rashard Lewis' mentoring role he can show Wall how to better take care of his body.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#51 » by hands11 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:23 am

LyricalRico wrote:
B-easy wrote:Apparently wall is not 100%, that maybe the reason he hasn't been playing well. His explosiveness isn't there either. I think the best option would be for him to rest until he is fully healthy, agree?

Well, assuming that the foot is fully healed, I don't think Wall is "injured" as much as he's just learning how to play with the pain that comes with the daily grind of the NBA. I remember guys like LeBron and Wade icing down after games very early in their careers. Maybe Wall should do the same thing. Hopefully as part of Rashard Lewis' mentoring role he can show Wall how to better take care of his body.

Good point. And he mentioned something about a pad on his left hand, though I didnt see it. Post Game Live was talking about how since he is more a left hand dribbler, he sets up his shot by taking the ball with his left hand and placing it in his right. They said something about him not having good feeling in that hand so it would effect his set up. Verses someone who is a right handed dribbler simple putting that same right hand under the ball and using the left to guide it.

Maybe that is all BS, but that is what they were saying.

Wall is doing really well for a first year starting PG. He just has a lot of learn. I remember see one of his strengths being that he was a fast learner. Well he missed some games, then Kirk was out so he didn't have any help and probably tried to do to much. Now he is learning to play with pain like Dray just did. There was a lot of extra mental stuff for him to go through arriving here when Gil was here and trying to figure out how that was going to work and then adjusting to him leaving and Lewis showing up and what that looks like.

I think he has hit bottom for this round and I expect to start seeing progress again. I think he is going to start to figure out how to manage the game with Nick, Lewis and Dray being the scorers and him being the PG who drive and sets everyone up. Including some McGee.

A great PG not only knows the game and the offense, but knows where and when to get the ball to which player. With all the injuries, his and other players, and Gil here and now not, it is a lot to figure out in half a season. Specially when several of your players don't even know where they should be shooting from.

Next 10 games should look better from this team.

He gets to learn from D Williams next game and then Nash again.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,346

Post#52 » by Jimmy Recard » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:37 am

LyricalRico wrote:

I couldn't help but laugh at this part.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,149

Post#53 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:33 pm

Wall's lousy defense:
Deeply ingrained, or fixable?
Discuss.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
B-easy
Sixth Man

Post#54 » by B-easy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:19 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Wall's lousy defense:
Discuss.

He has shown that he can be great defensively.He has actually been better recently, early on in the season he would loose his man when he was playing off the ball. It's definitely fixable.

read this:http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-wizards/2011/1/17/1938595/john-wall-injury-wizards-foot-knee-rookie

Wall's been talking to Jennings, maybe that explains the poor FG% :D .
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,453

Post#55 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:42 pm

Congratulations Wizards on turning John Wall into Steve Colter.

It's just stunning to see the difference between the timid, walk around and pass the ball John Wall and the super aggressive, get to the rim, sensation we saw earlier.

Either:
1. He is injured and shouldn't be out there.
2. Flip is trying to transform him into something he is not.

Either way, it's a bloody travesty. This franchise gets harder and harder to watch.
In Rizzo we trust
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,593

Post#56 » by pancakes3 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:50 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Wall's lousy defense:
Discuss.

both. it's been deeply ingrained in him that he's more physically gifted so he can play lazy defense and get away with it, because it's been that way for 19 straight years of his life. yes, even in the neonatal league, he was considerably more athletic than the other newborns.

i guess having your entire world shatter around you and learning that - even if you are the most athletic guy on the court, it's only by hundredths of a second, and you're not really THAT special - really takes some time getting used to. hopefully he rises to the occasion, because even the great ones like MJ and Kobe work tirelessly on their games. those who don't improve are doomed to walk the shameful path of shawn kemp.
Bullets -> Wizards
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,322

Post#57 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:03 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Congratulations Wizards on turning John Wall into Steve Colter.

It's just stunning to see the difference between the timid, walk around and pass the ball John Wall and the super aggressive, get to the rim, sensation we saw earlier.

Either:
1. He is injured and shouldn't be out there.
2. Flip is trying to transform him into something he is not.

Either way, it's a bloody travesty. This franchise gets harder and harder to watch.

And then there's the third reason. Team's finaly got a good scouting report on Wall and are now playing Rajon Rondo defense on Wall.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#58 » by hands11 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:26 am

hands11 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

Good point. And he mentioned something about a pad on his left hand, though I didnt see it. Post Game Live was talking about how since he is more a left hand dribbler, he sets up his shot by taking the ball with his left hand and placing it in his right. They said something about him not having good feeling in that hand so it would effect his set up. Verses someone who is a right handed dribbler simple putting that same right hand under the ball and using the left to guide it.

Maybe that is all BS, but that is what they were saying.

Wall is doing really well for a first year starting PG. He just has a lot of learn. I remember see one of his strengths being that he was a fast learner. Well he missed some games, then Kirk was out so he didn't have any help and probably tried to do to much. Now he is learning to play with pain like Dray just did. There was a lot of extra mental stuff for him to go through arriving here when Gil was here and trying to figure out how that was going to work and then adjusting to him leaving and Lewis showing up and what that looks like.

I think he has hit bottom for this round and I expect to start seeing progress again. I think he is going to start to figure out how to manage the game with Nick, Lewis and Dray being the scorers and him being the PG who drive and sets everyone up. Including some McGee.

A great PG not only knows the game and the offense, but knows where and when to get the ball to which player. With all the injuries, his and other players, and Gil here and now not, it is a lot to figure out in half a season. Specially when several of your players don't even know where they should be shooting from.

Next 10 games should look better from this team.

He gets to learn from D Williams next game and then Nash again.

Now that's what I call progress. Book it Dano
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#59 » by pineappleheadindc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:30 am

I (heart) John Wall. Check this out from today's Post game story:

[...]

Wall had urged Saunders to be harder on him two weeks ago, asking him to keep pushing him to get better, because, "I want to be a great point guard." He even asked to receive fines whenever he starts to pout, sulk or show frustration during games.

"It ain't too much," Wall said of the fines, "but it's enough to keep my pockets empty. I don't want to lose that money."

Wall didn't have that problem on Monday afternoon as the Wizards won their fourth straight at home. He was too excited.

link
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,811

Post#60 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:53 am

pineappleheadindc wrote:.

I (heart) John Wall. Check this out from today's Post game story:

[...]

Wall had urged Saunders to be harder on him two weeks ago, asking him to keep pushing him to get better, because, "I want to be a great point guard." He even asked to receive fines whenever he starts to pout, sulk or show frustration during games.

"It ain't too much," Wall said of the fines, "but it's enough to keep my pockets empty. I don't want to lose that money."

Wall didn't have that problem on Monday afternoon as the Wizards won their fourth straight at home. He was too excited.

link

Wow. I have never heard of anything like that. :clap:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD

Return to Washington Wizards