B-easy
Sixth Man
And1: 469

Re: Amazingly Sorry John Wall Thread? Improvement 

Post#61 » by B-easy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:24 am

pineappleheadindc wrote:.

I (heart) John Wall. Check this out from today's Post game story:

[...]

Wall had urged Saunders to be harder on him two weeks ago, asking him to keep pushing him to get better, because, "I want to be a great point guard." He even asked to receive fines whenever he starts to pout, sulk or show frustration during games.

"It ain't too much," Wall said of the fines, "but it's enough to keep my pockets empty. I don't want to lose that money."

Wall didn't have that problem on Monday afternoon as the Wizards won their fourth straight at home. He was too excited.

link

Woah, nuff said.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#62 » by hands11 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:13 pm

For Jan Wall is averaging 10.9 assists and he is averaging 9.1 on the year.

Currently in 5th place for PGs

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics

The only players ahead of his are.

Rondo 13.4
Nash 10.8
CP3 9.6
D Williams 9.4
Wall 9.1

Now if he has indeed found his game finally, that would mean more times on that alone.
Add Nick eventually fixing his game on the road and increased min/production along with if Dray has indeed finally found his shot and I think just on that it is reasonable to see him in 3rd place in the not to distant future.

Amazing for a first year PG. Specially on a team that has under produced so far. And he hasn't even really gotten started. He is an interesting blend of a lot of the top PGs. I don't see him going to D Rose direction. Instead he is more like a J Kidd/Nash jr with more speed. I think it is easy to project him in as top 1-3 in assists for many years to come. Very positive news for the Wizards future.

Now they need to reload at SF by finding a slasher/finisher to go along with Nick and McGee. Then I would reload at PF. This could be a better team than many have projected if done right over the next 2 years. Wall, Nick and McGee are three really interesting young pieces. Lewis is a solid vet. Even Kent can help them come along in his reserve role if keep because of his solid D. I even like Howard for his D if they can sign him for the right price though we need a strong body player at this position. But he is an option and the dude sounds like he wants to stay.

This roster has potential if massaged the right way. AT has been giving us some of that power/slasher at SF as a reserve but just think of what a first year Wilson Chandler would look like coming off the bench. AT gets the rest of the year to prove if he is an option there. Chandler is the type of player we need to find/draft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/s ... yerId=3194

And we do have some young prospects for powerful PF in Seraphin and Booker.

This team is on the right paths and has options. EG did use right.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,756

Post#63 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:52 pm

I know we're like 3 months away from the offseason, but definitely something Wall needs to work at, and I'm sure he knows this:

His jumpshot. Seems like he has a nice shot up to 12 feet. But beyond that is a work in progress.

Turnovers. But that will come with time.

First and foremost, he needs to get healthy. It's absurd to look at the amount of ice this man has wrapped around his knees.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,593

Post#64 » by pancakes3 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:04 pm

B-easy wrote:
pineappleheadindc wrote:.

I (heart) John Wall. Check this out from today's Post game story:

[...]

Wall had urged Saunders to be harder on him two weeks ago, asking him to keep pushing him to get better, because, "I want to be a great point guard." He even asked to receive fines whenever he starts to pout, sulk or show frustration during games.

"It ain't too much," Wall said of the fines, "but it's enough to keep my pockets empty. I don't want to lose that money."

Wall didn't have that problem on Monday afternoon as the Wizards won their fourth straight at home. He was too excited.

link

Woah, nuff said.

headscratcher because his effort on D doesn't seem to reflect this in the least.
Bullets -> Wizards
B-easy
Sixth Man

Post#65 » by B-easy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:13 pm

Wall was good defensively against D-Will.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,593

Post#66 » by pancakes3 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:40 pm

B-easy wrote:Wall was good defensively against D-Will.

relatively? yes. overall? kind of. still got beat/went under on screens, letting DWill shoot - 6/10 from 3. plus in the ~20 mins that kirk played that coincided with DWill, hinny was guarding williams.

what i was more getting at is that this doesn't explain the lack of hustle on D we saw against Sac, Minny, etc. i think this article is 50% PR and 50% legit. i'm sure wall DOES want to improve on some level, but it's not a crazy, d-leaguer-trying-to-get-a-roster-spot level of dedication.

i will say, he has learned to pull up and abort fast breaks when it's just 1-on-3, which is good. he still takes bad angles/crab dribbles on pick-and-rolls, and his comfortability with his teammates and where they like to get the ball is growing each game.

overall i'm happy with wall's progress. i just get upset at his lazy D and whenever he does his DWade impersonation.
Bullets -> Wizards
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#67 » by WizarDynasty » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:55 pm

Wall inability to force defenders to commit to him while driving..due to his poor dribbling skills is why constantly forced passes into contested passing lanes. If his handle was good, he would not have been forced to use both hands to pass the ball on the drive and still maintained his dribble in the very last microsecond. Instead Wall blindly telegraphs his pass due to his poor handles.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
B-easy
Sixth Man

Post#68 » by B-easy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Wall should learn from this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v00mS0eIAOQ[/youtube]
WizarDynasty
Veteran

Post#69 » by WizarDynasty » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:56 pm

i disagree with Wall copying wade. Wade is a shooting guard, his game isn't based on making his team mates better.

Wall is much quicker but doesn't hasn't learned how to hesitate and still keep a strong low handle and be able to pass mid dribble because he bounces the ball so high off the ground. All Wall needs to do is copy Nash on offense and Rajon Rondo on defense. One of Wall's problems is that he lets the defenders know with eyes where he plans on passing the ball before he passes it and it gives them extra microseconds to jump his passing lanes.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#70 » by Nivek » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Wall's ball handling is more than adequate. There are three main issues with him on the offensive end.

1) He has a lousy jump shot.
2) He doesn't use screens properly in screen/roll situations.
3) He doesn't value possessions properly and ends up making careless and reckless passes.

All are at least potentially correctable. He can learn to shoot jumpers -- 1,000 makes from 15+ feet during the offseason (preferably with 300-500 being from 3pt range). He can be taught to brush the screener with his shoulder to make sure he's tight enough for the screener to make contact with his defender. And, he'll learn to value possessions and be smarter with the ball as he gets more experience.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#71 » by DaRealHibachi » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:06 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:Wall inability to force defenders to commit to him while driving..due to his poor dribbling skills is why constantly forced passes into contested passing lanes. If his handle was good, he would not have been forced to use both hands to pass the ball on the drive and still maintained his dribble in the very last microsecond. Instead Wall blindly telegraphs his pass due to his poor handles.

Wall does one-handed passes all the time dude... That last 3 by Nick Young in our home game vs Utah was a one-handed pass by Wall... Check the highlights (last shot)...

http://www.nba.com/video/games/wizards/ ... index.html
:beer: Magnumt
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#72 » by DaRealHibachi » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:11 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:i disagree with Wall copying wade. Wade is a shooting guard, his game isn't based on making his team mates better.

Wall is much quicker but doesn't hasn't learned how to hesitate and still keep a strong low handle and be able to pass mid dribble because he bounces the ball so high off the ground. All Wall needs to do is copy Nash on offense and Rajon Rondo on defense. One of Wall's problems is that he lets the defenders know with eyes where he plans on passing the ball before he passes it and it gives them extra microseconds to jump his passing lanes.

How the hell can you see that...??? :-?
:beer: Magnumt
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,811

Post#73 » by tontoz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:24 pm

DaRealHibachi wrote:
WizarDynasty wrote:i disagree with Wall copying wade. Wade is a shooting guard, his game isn't based on making his team mates better.

How the hell can you see that...??? :-?

Only a Jedi master who has studied Wall's chips and levels can see such things.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
cwb3
Rookie
And1: 85

Post#74 » by cwb3 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:02 pm

Wall could be helped out a LOT of his teamates would set real/hard, screens and picks for him. More often its a matador-like "lets just shuffle into the general direction of Wall" sorta half-hearted screen that does not buy Wall much of any room to drive.
montestewart wrote:Players really should wait until they're rookie coaches to become GMs.
WizarDynasty
Veteran

Post#75 » by WizarDynasty » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:11 pm

opponents are picking off his passes out to the perimeter because they can see that he takes alot of time to collect the ball on his drives..due to his poor dribbling skills. if he has nice handles slings the ball pin point without even looking at where he is passing the ball to given the person that caught the passes an element of surprise. Wall is looking in the direction of his pass so the help defenders know where to move while the ball is in the air and that makes it much easier to intercept if you make john think you are doubling him when really you are looking to catch his passes.

the times when wall gets his pass stolen, he is actually thinking that he has drawn in two defenders when in actuality he hasn't because there must something he is doing that tips them off that he is about to pass it and thus the they jumped a passing lane that john wall thought was open and free.
The Fax
Senior
And1: 33

Post#76 » by The Fax » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:24 am

"It will make me focus more, I'm serious, it will."

—Wizards rookie guard John Wall, after he suggested the team fine him every time coach Flip Saunders sees him sulking.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/was/r ... tes_quotes

Sounds good to me
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#77 » by hands11 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:30 pm

Looking for a solid game from Wall tonight. I feel like he is mentally settling in since Flip got of his back about shooting more then he wanted to when he wasn't feeling it. He will open things up by dishing it around first so he get Nick, Dray, Lewis and McGee rolling.

Looking for a repeat or better of the Utah game.

Lots of assists 15+. Lots of FTA 8-10. 7-12FG 18-20 pts
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#78 » by dangermouse » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:11 am

The internet google tells me that Mark Jackson holds the rookie record for assists in a season at 868 assists. I cant find it, but something tells me the record for assists per game by a rookie is 9.3, and something in my brain links the name Damon Stoudemire to that feat? Maybe somebody else knows and can help me out?

Anyway, Wall is averaging 9.3 so far, but he is on track to top 10 assists per game the way he has been going about it the last few games.

Thoughts?
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,811

Post#79 » by tontoz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:09 pm

dangermouse wrote:The internet google tells me that Mark Jackson holds the rookie record for assists in a season at 868 assists. I cant find it, but something tells me the record for assists per game by a rookie is 9.3, and something in my brain links the name Damon Stoudemire to that feat? Maybe somebody else knows and can help me out?

Anyway, Wall is averaging 9.3 so far, but he is on track to top 10 assists per game the way he has been going about it the last few games.

Thoughts?

Right now i don't care about his assists. He can't score or defend for crap. Maybe it is just because he is a rookie still learning the game but until he learns to score and defend he is nothing but a below average starting pg.

Wall is currently 27th among pgs in PER and 51st in TS%. Add in his lame defense and I am not impressed.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#80 » by fishercob » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:46 pm

tontoz wrote:
dangermouse wrote:The internet google tells me that Mark Jackson holds the rookie record for assists in a season at 868 assists. I cant find it, but something tells me the record for assists per game by a rookie is 9.3, and something in my brain links the name Damon Stoudemire to that feat? Maybe somebody else knows and can help me out?

Thoughts?

Right now i don't care about his assists. He can't score or defend for crap. Maybe it is just because he is a rookie still learning the game but until he learns to score and defend he is nothing but a below average starting pg.

Wall is currently 27th among pgs in PER and 51st in TS%. Add in his lame defense and I am not impressed.

tontoz, a week or so ago I posted a statistical comparison between Wall and the rookie years of basically all the elite PG's in the league. The only one who was markedly better was Chris Paul. Wall stacks up extremely well with Rose, Westbrook, Deron Williams, Rondo, J-Kidd, etc. He's going to be great.

No he can't shoot. But he's not Rondo -- he doesn't have a hopelessly irreparable shooting form. For instance, look at his accuracy from the free throw line. Give Wall and off-season or two and he'll develop a good, reliable jumper. And I give the kid a ton of credit -- he recognizes his own weaknesses (something I think say, Young, Blatche and Mcgee don't). He said himself that he needs to learn/master the Tony Parker floater/tear drop. He has all the skills to master a shot like that. Imagine when he does -- thereby getting more effective in the lane and takes less punishment.

Wall's going to be great. He's the only player on the roster that I am "confidently excited" about.

Edit: Here....

I wish I knew how to post these as charts, but Wall is stacking up pretty damn well to elite NBA PG's when comparing their rookie seasons.

[url]http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tiny.cgi?id=v7f2b
Wall, Paul, Westrbook, Rose[/url]
Paul is on another planet in terms of PER (best shooter and rebounder). But compares well with the other two. He's the best 3-pt shooter of the four, turns it over the most, highest assist percentage.

Wall, Rondo, D. Williams, Curry

Wall, Kidd, Nash, Billups
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin

Return to Washington Wizards