dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,330

Re: How do you fix this team? 

Post#281 » by dobrojim » Tue Mar 8, 2011 8:07 pm

I thought the buyout was $10M for Lewis' last year -

as for fixing the team

Not sure trading blatche, as attractive as that sounds to many of us,
will be worth it unless/until he builds a little more value back.
Right now I would think his value is at rock bottom.

McGee needs to be told in no uncertain terms that no matter how
well Mama tells him he's doing, he ain't doing that well. He really
needs a boot camp where he's broken down to dirt and then rebuilt
with an understanding of what winning basketball entails. Or he will
be relegated to backup status which wouldn't be horrible as long as
he accepts the lower pay he'll get as a backup. Even with his short
stature, I see Seraphin as the starter within a year, barring a trade
for an established starter.

for better or worse, I believe Blatche and McGee are as likely as
not to be the opening day starters next year. But Seraphin
has a chance to oust McGee sooner than we may realize. The
Wiz would be smart to do this if it would help JM realize
there is more to the game than flashy dunks and blocking
the ball out of bounds (or goaltending).

My feeling on the rest of the team is nothing exceptional from what
many others have said. Build through the draft looking for players
who know how to play at both ends of the court, are tough physically
as well as mentally. Patience will be required for sure. It will probably
be frustrating as fans waiting for this to happen.

I like N1 but am respectful of those who argue (with generally good evidence)
that he's not exceptional/is replaceable so it would be fine to keep
him IMO, for the right price. I'm not sure what that price is but would
suppose the answer to that question is based on what are the alternatives and
how much would they cost.

It will be interesting to see what moves are made in the offseason
starting with mgmt/coaching itself.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#282 » by verbal8 » Tue Mar 8, 2011 8:16 pm

eitanr wrote:Most realistically....I think Indy does deal 1, Utah may reject the other deal...So let's say Washington has picks 3, 15, 23 and 34 heading into draft night. I'd probably be willing to absorb Carrol's deal to move up from 15ish to 9ish if Terrence Jones or Harrison Barnes were there. Carroll is paid only 3.5 mill in 2013 and does expire along with Shard. I don't love it, but I feel it's worth the risk to nail down Barnes. I obviously select Sully at 3. At 23 and 34 I'd look more for those veteran rookies, i.e. 4th yr seniors coming out from big programs who could fill in the rotation immediatley. I see Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler potentially being available there. They could suffice nicely in the backup combo guard and backup future 3 slots. Then I still have enough cap to re-sign Nick Young and maybe go for a nice backup big who can be a stop gap option until Seraphin or Booker are ready to be that 3rd legit big in the rotation. I also need insurance for Sully who may not be as ready as I hoped in the starting PF role. I like Josh McRoberts as the short term signee. I'd give him a solid 2 yr deal, 2nd yr team option at around 3-4 mill per. And here is my final roster for the Wiz going into the season:
PF J. Sullinger/ J. McRoberts
SF H. Barnes/ R. Lewis/ K. Singler
C J. McGee/ T. Booker/ K. Seraphin
SG N. Young/ J. Crawford/ M. Carroll
PG J. Wall/ N. Smith

I think you are on the right track in terms of acquiring draft picks. However I think adding future 1st should be the priority over maximizing draft position this year. I think the Hawks pick could be a prime one to trade for a future 1st, so I wouldn't mind getting one more.

I just don't see this as the being the draft that makes the Wizards. Also having future picks allows a year development to determine what the long term needs are, so you have a better idea of what to expect from the young vets and only have to project the development of the rookies.
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 299

Post#283 » by eitanr » Tue Mar 8, 2011 8:24 pm

verbal8 wrote:
eitanr wrote:Most realistically....I think Indy does deal 1, Utah may reject the other deal...So let's say Washington has picks 3, 15, 23 and 34 heading into draft night. I'd probably be willing to absorb Carrol's deal to move up from 15ish to 9ish if Terrence Jones or Harrison Barnes were there. Carroll is paid only 3.5 mill in 2013 and does expire along with Shard. I don't love it, but I feel it's worth the risk to nail down Barnes. I obviously select Sully at 3. At 23 and 34 I'd look more for those veteran rookies, i.e. 4th yr seniors coming out from big programs who could fill in the rotation immediatley. I see Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler potentially being available there. They could suffice nicely in the backup combo guard and backup future 3 slots. Then I still have enough cap to re-sign Nick Young and maybe go for a nice backup big who can be a stop gap option until Seraphin or Booker are ready to be that 3rd legit big in the rotation. I also need insurance for Sully who may not be as ready as I hoped in the starting PF role. I like Josh McRoberts as the short term signee. I'd give him a solid 2 yr deal, 2nd yr team option at around 3-4 mill per. And here is my final roster for the Wiz going into the season:
PF J. Sullinger/ J. McRoberts
SF H. Barnes/ R. Lewis/ K. Singler
C J. McGee/ T. Booker/ K. Seraphin
SG N. Young/ J. Crawford/ M. Carroll
PG J. Wall/ N. Smith

I think you are on the right track in terms of acquiring draft picks. However I think adding future 1st should be the priority over maximizing draft position this year. I think the Hawks pick could be a prime one to trade for a future 1st, so I wouldn't mind getting one more.

I just don't see this as the being the draft that makes the Wizards. Also having future picks allows a year development to determine what the long term needs are, so you have a better idea of what to expect from the young vets and only have to project the development of the rookies.

I am certainly not opposed to such a notion by any means. I do feel you can find nice assets that fit you're team, particularly late in the draft, in any draft. I do feel if you grade drafts based on how many potential all stars you see, then this one is weak. With that being said, I love Sullinger for the team, outside of him the only players that I've seen that intrigue me to any degree are Terrence Jones, maybe Harrison Barnes, and then Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith who will likely be available later in the 1st rd or maybe in the 2nd rd. The thing though is Terrence Jones and Harrison Barnes may not be available even later in the draft in my hypothetical scenario as both guys could even be gone by the time Cleveland selects again at around 7 (and there's no way CLE is dealing that pick for any package we would like to offer). In that semi realisitc scenario, I'd definitley agree to dealing the 15th pick for a future pick unless maybe Jan Vesley is available there in which case I'd select him. Otherwise I'd rather not waste the pick on even Leonard, one of the Morris' Hamilton, Taylor...any of them...and I like my Dukies, but I can get Nolan Smith and Sinlger at 23 and 33, and if they're not available there I don't fret since there really onlt worth selecting at those slots.

I do believe doing a deal with Utah in particularly to get that GSW pick could be extremly beneficial. They've never seemed to me to be excellent drafting team or a franchise that lvoes building via the draft (as opposed to Portland or now Cleveland), so I feel an Okur absoroption for that GSW protected pick is possible.
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#284 » by Nivek » Tue Mar 8, 2011 8:27 pm

If Seraphin takes the starting job from McGee, it's an embarrassment for McGee. I like Seraphin's progress, but he's not a starter. He's a project, just like almost everyone else on the roster. I wouldn't rule out Seraphin as a potential starter down the line, but I think it's going to be a couple years before he's starter quality. That doesn't mean he won't beat out McGee for the job as early as next season -- it'll just mean that the Wizards continue to have a sub-standard center.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 299

Post#285 » by eitanr » Tue Mar 8, 2011 8:32 pm

Nivek wrote:If Seraphin takes the starting job from McGee, it's an embarrassment for McGee. I like Seraphin's progress, but he's not a starter. He's a project, just like almost everyone else on the roster. I wouldn't rule out Seraphin as a potential starter down the line, but I think it's going to be a couple years before he's starter quality. That doesn't mean he won't beat out McGee for the job as early as next season -- it'll just mean that the Wizards continue to have a sub-standard center.

I completley agree.

I feel there's too much McGee hate on this board. The guy still has the skill set and has shown enough progress thus far in his career to likely be our future starting center. His chemistry with Wall is also something to note and overall the two should be able to produce similarly to a Rose-Noah sooner rather than later. We'd be hard pressed to find a better fit long term at the 5 slot right now than JaVale McGee.

Seraphin shows some nice flashes here and there, but hasn't even come close to the consistency to be dubbed a future starter just yet. The hope would be that Washingon could draft someone like Sullinger and I'd hope bring in another big (hopefully Okur via a contract absorbing deal to gain a future pick, or more simply signing someone like McRoberts as a stop gap big) who would jockey minutes with Booker and Seraphin, but would likely get more consistent time as Kevin continues to develop. I'd be scared though to even guarentee Seraphin more than 15 mpg next season...at least not to start with. He just hasn't shown enough consistency yet.
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#286 » by DaRealHibachi » Tue Mar 8, 2011 9:54 pm

eitanr wrote:
Nivek wrote:If Seraphin takes the starting job from McGee, it's an embarrassment for McGee. I like Seraphin's progress, but he's not a starter. He's a project, just like almost everyone else on the roster. I wouldn't rule out Seraphin as a potential starter down the line, but I think it's going to be a couple years before he's starter quality. That doesn't mean he won't beat out McGee for the job as early as next season -- it'll just mean that the Wizards continue to have a sub-standard center.

I completley agree.

I feel there's too much McGee hate on this board. The guy still has the skill set and has shown enough progress thus far in his career to likely be our future starting center. His chemistry with Wall is also something to note and overall the two should be able to produce similarly to a Rose-Noah sooner rather than later. We'd be hard pressed to find a better fit long term at the 5 slot right now than JaVale McGee.

Seraphin shows some nice flashes here and there, but hasn't even come close to the consistency to be dubbed a future starter just yet. The hope would be that Washingon could draft someone like Sullinger and I'd hope bring in another big (hopefully Okur via a contract absorbing deal to gain a future pick, or more simply signing someone like McRoberts as a stop gap big) who would jockey minutes with Booker and Seraphin, but would likely get more consistent time as Kevin continues to develop. I'd be scared though to even guarentee Seraphin more than 15 mpg next season...at least not to start with. He just hasn't shown enough consistency yet.

What improvement have you seen from McGee since his first year...???
:beer: Magnumt
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,965

Post#287 » by DCZards » Tue Mar 8, 2011 10:01 pm

eitanr wrote:

I haven't seen a lot of "hate" on this board toward McGee. Disappointment, yes. But not hate. I think most posters here root for MGee to do well, as any Zards fans would. But he simply hasn't improved as much as some of us, including myself, thought he would have at this point (the third year) in his career.

As much as I hate to say it, I share the view of some others on this board, which is that Javele's mother is a big part of his problem. I think she's got him believing that he's better than he really is. And part of that belief comes from the fact that he's so incredibly athletic for a 7 footer. I think that has Javale believing that he doesn't need to work on the fundamentals, such as learning how to box it, because he thinks he can just get away with being tall, long and athletic.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#288 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 8, 2011 10:12 pm

DaRealHibachi wrote:What improvement have you seen from McGee since his first year...???

He's made physical improvements - his stamina is now much better, and he's actually gotten bigger - an inch taller and probably added 10 lbs of muscle.

Skillwise... um... maturity and toughness... eh... I'm drawing a blank. :lol: :(
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#289 » by Nivek » Tue Mar 8, 2011 10:31 pm

In addition to the improvements Ruzious notes, McGee has this season added a running hook out of post-up. At first, it looked pretty bad, lately it's been a legitimate offensive move. I'd like to see him add a drop step, and up-and-under and a legit jump hook. He's also starting to show a willingness to not try and block every shot. Last 5-8 games, he's been staying down and putting his hands up more frequently.

So, at least a couple signs of progress from McGee.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,990

Post#290 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Mar 8, 2011 10:37 pm

DCZards wrote:
eitanr wrote:

I haven't seen a lot of "hate" on this board toward McGee. Disappointment, yes. But not hate. I think most posters here root for MGee to do well, as any Zards fans would. But he simply hasn't improved as much as some of us, including myself, thought he would have at this point (the third year) in his career.

As much as I hate to say it, I share the view of some others on this board, which is that Javele's mother is a big part of his problem. I think she's got him believing that he's better than he really is. And part of that belief comes from the fact that he's so incredibly athletic for a 7 footer. I think that has Javale believing that he doesn't need to work on the fundamentals, such as learning how to box it, because he thinks he can just get away with being tall, long and athletic.

I don't know how a player's mother enters into any discussion of the player's performance.

I agree with eitanr. This board is predominantly set on hating McGee. In ten years on this site this particular culture smacks of groupthink IMO. After every bad play it is fair game to call a guy a moron or an imbecile and to talk about the guy's mom.

When I post stats that show the team is much better offensively and slightly better defensively with McGee on the court folks mobilize to disprove facts. They start taking about Armstrong or say the 82 games stuff is not up to date.

When McGee grabs 3 rebounds in 30 minutes, it's like Flip Saunders' misinformed rant all over again, that Javale's a poor rebounder, gets repeated. I won't show the rebounding rate of everybody on the team because haters see what they want to see.

As far as I am concerned the dunk contest guy is the most physically gifted athlete on this team. Flip Saunders is the kind of coach that would stifle winning combinations of players for strict adherence to his system and his way. McGee might look bad but I have ZERO faith in his coach.

Javale should be traded. Then folks can dump on other players but never the coach.
Bye bye Beal.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#291 » by fishercob » Tue Mar 8, 2011 11:06 pm

Ruzious wrote:
DaRealHibachi wrote:What improvement have you seen from McGee since his first year...???

He's made physical improvements - his stamina is now much better, and he's actually gotten bigger - an inch taller and probably added 10 lbs of muscle.

Skillwise... um... maturity and toughness... eh... I'm drawing a blank. :lol: :(

I get as frustrated with McGee as the next guy, but when I look at the numbers I see some improvement and room for further hope.

While Javale's PER is a hair lower this year than in his first two (and I'm not sure why -- I dont know offhand how PER is calculated), his shooting and rebounding have both materially improved. His efg and ts% are 54% and 56% respectively, compared to previous highs of 51% and 54%. Maybe that's just the John Wall effect, but that doesn't make the improvement any less real.

More significantly, McGee's rebounding numbers are up across the board. After being basically flat from his first season to his second, McGee's DRB% has gone from 18% to 22% and his total RB% has gone from 14.5 to 16.3%.

Here's what continues to encourage me: despite his shortcomings, Javale's career compares well with Camby's and Chandler's through three seasons (Chandler was right out of HS, Camby was the college POY as a junior and then came out).

Link: http://bkref.com/tiny/GAjV2

There's not a single metric on the advanced stat or per-36 lists where Javale is appreciably worse than the other two. In some, he's the best of the three.

Javale can develop into a starting caliber player on a contender. Will he? I have no idea, but I think it will take 3-5 more years if he puts in the work. He's going to have to study and commit to learning the mental aspect of the game, because the physical tools are there for sure. To get the most out of McGee I'd see it as critically important to surround him with physical, positive, smart and tough teammates.

Blatche must go, and the front office needs to think long and hard about whether McGee can reach his potential playing alongside Nick Young. But the upside is there, Javale has made progress and he compares will with some excellent "skinny bigs."

But yes, McGee has progressed.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#292 » by Illuminaire » Tue Mar 8, 2011 11:13 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Generalizations go here

CCJ, just because some people actually discuss or argue your position does not mean that they are necessarily wrong, and it most definitely does not mean that they are "haters."

We're not the enemy here. We're all just trying to figure out why a talented athlete that we want to enjoy watching isn't playing up to his true ability.

(Also, it's one thing to blame Flip for the team's issues, that at least has a layer of connectivity. Somehow linking the McGee discussion to other people on the board not blaming the coach is kind of ridiculous. =D )
Illuminaire
Veteran

Post#293 » by Illuminaire » Tue Mar 8, 2011 11:16 pm

fishercob wrote:

Nice post, Fish. I like that McGee's production has improved.

The troubling thing to me is more that he seems determined to develop on his own terms, not the team's. It seems like, for whatever reason, he is building his own ceiling and refusing to break through. His production is getting better, but it still doesn't come close to matching his talent.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#294 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 8, 2011 11:26 pm

Fishercob, I would have mentioned rebounding, but he showed absolutely no interest in competing on the boards with the Pistons. The last 4 games, he's gotten 8, 6, 7, and 2 rebounds - the last 3 against bad teams. Before that - you're right - he showed significant improvement, but he gives up too many offensive rebounds.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RealGM

Post#295 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Mar 8, 2011 11:32 pm

fish, thanks. That's how McGee has improved. He fouls a bit less also, despite the improved rebounding.

Illuminaire, IMO for every 15 anti-McGee and every 25 anti-Blatche post, there's one anti-Flip post. I don't view anyone as my enemy. I tend to disagree with some more than others.

DCZards mentioned Javale's mother's influence. I think it is much more appropriate to mention Flip. The topic is how to fix the team. IMO it makes more sense to fire the coaching staff and to evaluate the players under new leadership. Rather than speak about unknowns like Javale's mom's influence on his psyche, I would rather objectify 26-56 and 16-46. Flip is culpable no matter how bad the talent on this team is. So is Grunfeld.

I get tired of player bashing.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#296 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Mar 8, 2011 11:34 pm

Ruzious wrote:Fishercob, I would have mentioned rebounding, but he showed absolutely no interest in competing on the boards with the Pistons. The last 4 games, he's gotten 8, 6, 7, and 2 rebounds - the last 3 against bad teams. Before that - you're right - he showed significant improvement, but he gives up too many offensive rebounds.

There certainly has been a negative trend since his 16 or 18 rebound game. Yet, he is still far better than Booker or Seraphin or Blatche in total rebounding rate. Kevin is a monster on the offensive boards.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#297 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 8, 2011 11:52 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Fishercob, I would have mentioned rebounding, but he showed absolutely no interest in competing on the boards with the Pistons. The last 4 games, he's gotten 8, 6, 7, and 2 rebounds - the last 3 against bad teams. Before that - you're right - he showed significant improvement, but he gives up too many offensive rebounds.

There certainly has been a negative trend since his 16 or 18 rebound game. Yet, he is still far better than Booker or Seraphin or Blatche in total rebounding rate. Kevin is a monster on the offensive boards.

McGee can also be a monster on the O boards - and that's part of my frustration in that he doesn't use the same energy on the defensive boards that he does on the offensive boards. And too often he sells out going for blocks - leaving his man to get easy putbacks. No doubt, Blatche and the gang should help out more in those situations - When they see McGee leaving his man to help out elsewhere, they should make sure his guy is blocked out.
Illuminaire
Veteran

Post#298 » by Illuminaire » Tue Mar 8, 2011 11:55 pm

I think the main reason you don't see most people talking about the coach anymore is that very, very few people here believe Flip will be around for long anyways. In other words, there is no point to it. Why beat a dead horse walking? =p

Flip is still here because a) we're tanking for draft position anyways and b) he's under contract heading into a possible lockout. I don't know if there is even one person on this board who thinks he'll remain the coach for very long. Meanwhile, we HAVE seen individual improvement under his regime.

If Saunders is to have greater blame for the team's failures, then he should also have greater recognition for individual growth. It's not logical or fair for either side to take one without also taking the other. (I personally believe there is room for arguing both sides. I see both benefit and dangers to Flip's coaching style.)

As for McGee's psyche, I think that is a relevant and critically important area of discussion. He has all the physical tools to be dominant. The only thing holding him back is that aforementioned psyche... so talking about it seems like the thing to do, especially for those of us who want McGee to succeed.
RealGM

Post#299 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Mar 9, 2011 12:08 am

Illuminaire wrote:
fishercob wrote:

Nice post, Fish. I like that McGee's production has improved.

The troubling thing to me is more that he seems determined to develop on his own terms, not the team's. It seems like, for whatever reason, he is building his own ceiling and refusing to break through. His production is getting better, but it still doesn't come close to matching his talent.

How many lobs go to McGee? How many times have plays been called outside of five or ten feet, where McGee does not have to attempt to back his man down? Howany games does Javale attempt a hook shot more than once? Does McGee face the bench off any one miss almost all the time?

Alternatively, does Andray Blatche get any shot he wants and up to 20 attempts or more if he feels like shooting without worrying about a miss?

Illuminaire, I do agree with your post. McGee's only scratching the surface and IMO is self-willed. His shots are awkward, forced, seemingly "me" shots. He seems rushed and often makes bad decisions on defense. His instincts are often bad. He seems a lot of the time undisciplined and reckless. For a his physical gifts, his basketball acuity is dull IMO.

That said, he's probably my favorite Wizard. There's nothing selfish about seven shots and a goaltend here or there. He plays hard. He should get more shots and Blatche less.

I think more than anything, a different coaching preference would benefit Javale.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#300 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Mar 9, 2011 12:25 am

Illuminaire wrote:I think the main reason you don't see most people talking about the coach anymore is that very, very few people here believe Flip will be around for long anyways. In other words, there is no point to it. Why beat a dead horse walking? =p

Flip is still here because a) we're tanking for draft position anyways and b) he's under contract heading into a possible lockout. I don't know if there is even one person on this board who thinks he'll remain the coach for very long. Meanwhile, we HAVE seen individual improvement under his regime.

If Saunders is to have greater blame for the team's failures, then he should also have greater recognition for individual growth. It's not logical or fair for either side to take one without also taking the other. (I personally believe there is room for arguing both sides. I see both benefit and dangers to Flip's coaching style.)

As for McGee's psyche, I think that is a relevant and critically important area of discussion. He has all the physical tools to be dominant. The only thing holding him back is that aforementioned psyche... so talking about it seems like the thing to do, especially for those of us who want McGee to succeed.

Points noted on Flip. Moot to even discuss him. Yet, the coach is the focal point and if everyone thinks Flip is history then why would McGee or any other player listen or be coachable?

McGee IMO needs an expanded role offensively. The caveat is he needs to learn to pass back and repost. Every game the Wizards need feed the ball inside and have McGee immediately kick it back out. The play would be much better if Booker played alongside McGee and not Blatche, the player most responsible for ball stoppage.

Javale needs touches early. Get him a few shots early and he's engaged at both ends all game.

His biggest problem IMO is he doesn't letvthe game come to him offensively because he's been told to defend only. I think Saunders is completely wrong. McGee's biggest potential improvement is on the offense. He shoots a high enough percentage that he should get 4-5 more attempts every game.

If Booker or Seraphin ran with McGee I believe Javale would be much more effective. No standing and watching and waiting for an occasional, awkward bailout shot would happen. Javale would be much more assertive. I've seen him pass to Booker for a dunk--they play well together.

McGee needs a different coach and different roles, as well as to grow his game mentally and physically.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards