ImageImageImageImageImage

How do you fix this team?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Re: How do you fix this team? 

Post#241 » by dangermouse » Mon Mar 7, 2011 7:57 am

TANK! Get a good enough pick to draft Sullinger, try and trade one of either McGee or Blatche to get another late-lotto pick and get Kanter or Barnes etc. I think Barnes fits in well with what we got. He seems like a Josh Howard or Deng type player.

Find our Eric Maynor (Grievous Vasquez?) to back up Wall. Someone young but with experience in college or the NBA, very short on upside but with a high bball IQ who can run the team when Wall sits.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant

Post#242 » by dangermouse » Mon Mar 7, 2011 9:53 am

Derrick Williams looks pretty good as well. Good instincts on offense. Wall and Williams would be a pretty killer pairing. I dont think he should go as high as #1 though like in nbadraft.com's mock. But i reserve the right to change my mind about that as i get caught up on more college ball while im at my parents (pay tv).

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#243 » by verbal8 » Mon Mar 7, 2011 11:40 am

DaRealHibachi wrote:By acquiring rebounders at the front-court this offseason... We're getting killed on the boards night in and night out...

As he develops and is able to play more minutes Seraphin should help somewhat. I think Booker could also help on the boards. Even if those players make it into the rotation, the Wizards need one more guy who is a good rebounder.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#244 » by hands11 » Mon Mar 7, 2011 1:08 pm

DaRealHibachi wrote:By acquiring rebounders at the front-court this offseason... We're getting killed on the boards night in and night out...

Are you saying acquiring rebounder was the wrong thing to do ?

Personally, I'm glad they got Booker and Seraphin.

What I see missing is.

Seraphin playing more, 8 min 3 rebounds wasnt bad last game.
No Singleton but Yi is warming the bench
No Howard playing injury
No Lewis playing injury so Mo is our SF
McGee 30 mins and 2 rebounds
hands11
Banned User

Post#245 » by hands11 » Mon Mar 7, 2011 1:15 pm

dangermouse wrote:Derrick Williams looks pretty good as well. Good instincts on offense. Wall and Williams would be a pretty killer pairing. I dont think he should go as high as #1 though like in nbadraft.com's mock. But i reserve the right to change my mind about that as i get caught up on more college ball while im at my parents (pay tv).

I'm surprised more on the board aren't talking about him. Draftxpress has us taking him right now.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,775

Post#246 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 7, 2011 3:09 pm

hands11 wrote:
dangermouse wrote:Derrick Williams looks pretty good as well. Good instincts on offense. Wall and Williams would be a pretty killer pairing. I dont think he should go as high as #1 though like in nbadraft.com's mock. But i reserve the right to change my mind about that as i get caught up on more college ball while im at my parents (pay tv).

I'm surprised more on the board aren't talking about him. That is draftxpress has us taking.

He's like in our top 5. Check out the draft thread, he's probably one of the top 5 on everyone's list. Only thing we're questioning is his position in the pros, is he a 3 or a 4? He's certainly got the wingspan to play power forward...
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#247 » by Nivek » Mon Mar 7, 2011 3:36 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
leswizards wrote:The Chicago Bulls SGs are Kyle Korver, Ronnie Brewer, and Keith Bogans. You feel that Nick Young is not good enough to start over those 3 players? Or, if he is good enough to start over those 3 players, do you feel the Bulls suddenly become crappy with Nick Young as a starting SG?

Yeah, I feel Nick Young could start on a few playoff caliber teams in which would lead to them being more successful in the regular season and in the playoffs. Chicago, OKC, New York Knicks, New Orleans, and Dallas. I think people are underestimating that John Wall really isn't a top 10-15 point guard yet this season and the Wizards frontcourt is up for the nomination as the worst frontcourt in the league. Of course, I'm interested to see how Young's motivation changes once he gets paid, but right now he's a one of the few bright spots of this team.

Just seeing this -- I overlooked it last week. Young could start in Chicago, IF he could play his role defensively and if he could play with their offense.

The Knicks would be nuts to start Young over Landry Fields, especially since they acquired Carmelo and Billups.

Agree that Young could start in New Orleans.

I don't think Young would be an upgrade in OKC.

The real starter at SG in Dallas is Terry, and Young would not supplant him. He could probably "start" for the Mavericks in the same way Stevenson did.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#248 » by WizarDynasty » Mon Mar 7, 2011 4:39 pm

to fix this team we need a 6'10 s/f in the mold of rashard lewis in his prime. The pre-injury fluid shot blocking rashard lewis was the perfect compliment to this team. who in the draft has rashards size and skills when rashard was in his prime. that's the first step to fixing this team. I like Jeff Green somewhat too.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#249 » by fishercob » Mon Mar 7, 2011 4:57 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:to fix this team we need a 6'10 s/f in the mold of rashard lewis in his prime. The pre-injury fluid shot blocking rashard lewis was the perfect compliment to this team. who in the draft has rashards size and skills when rashard was in his prime. that's the first step to fixing this team. I like Jeff Green somewhat too.

Potential guys for this role could be Perry Jones, Harrison Barnes, or maybe Nico Batum via trade (something based around a Mcgee/Batum swap could make some sense).

I think a much more pressing need for long term is a legit big who is either a two-way stud or an elite defender and passable offensive role player (Noah, Chandler, etc).

My question is do we give up on a 23 year old McGee ever being a smart defensive anchor? If so, then trading him for our center of the future shouldn't be a condition of moving him. Either he's up to the task, or he's not. And if he's not, then I'm all for going and getting a guy like Batum. But if the coaches believe he could still run a defense one day, I think you gotta stick with him and take your lumps, no?

I mean, I like Seraphin. But at his height, could he ever be a defensive anchor? I suppose he's not much smaller than Kendrick Perkins, so perhaps...
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
hands11
Banned User

Post#250 » by hands11 » Mon Mar 7, 2011 7:29 pm

fishercob wrote:
WizarDynasty wrote:to fix this team we need a 6'10 s/f in the mold of rashard lewis in his prime. The pre-injury fluid shot blocking rashard lewis was the perfect compliment to this team. who in the draft has rashards size and skills when rashard was in his prime. that's the first step to fixing this team. I like Jeff Green somewhat too.

Potential guys for this role could be Perry Jones, Harrison Barnes, or maybe Nico Batum via trade (something based around a Mcgee/Batum swap could make some sense).

I think a much more pressing need for long term is a legit big who is either a two-way stud or an elite defender and passable offensive role player (Noah, Chandler, etc).

My question is do we give up on a 23 year old McGee ever being a smart defensive anchor? If so, then trading him for our center of the future shouldn't be a condition of moving him. Either he's up to the task, or he's not. And if he's not, then I'm all for going and getting a guy like Batum. But if the coaches believe he could still run a defense one day, I think you gotta stick with him and take your lumps, no?

I mean, I like Seraphin. But at his height, could he ever be a defensive anchor? I suppose he's not much smaller than Kendrick Perkins, so perhaps...

There are several ways this could break.

Dray/Seraphin could hold done center.
You could go William/Booker at PF and even bring back Singleton for a year.
Singleton/Booker/Williams

But that would leave McGee out to dry for a year while we figure out what to do in 2012/13

Wall//Crawford
Nick/Travis Leslie
Lewis/Howard
Singleton/Booker/Williams
Dray/Seraphin/McGee

There are lots of ways this could break. They should be nicely loaded by next year. I could see moving Crawford for a stronger back up SG. He is a nice asset but just not feeling it for him at SG. He looks like a good set up man with some PG skills. Can we move him there ?

It's still mostly about accumulating assets at this point.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,088

Post#251 » by Dat2U » Mon Mar 7, 2011 9:19 pm

fishercob wrote:

McGee is not anchoring any defense anytime soon. He's not up to it. Now I'm not as sold on Batum as most here. He seems like he's plateaued a bit as player this season. His advanced numbers have fallen back to their rookie levels. He does some nice things and projects as a good defender but he's incredibly passive at times. I'd hesitate to make that trade but I'm certainly not against dealing McGee. It doesn't have to be for a center but someone I'm confident can be a good running mate with John Wall. If that player isn't available, I'm not against keeping McGee in a 6th man role. I've always said I see his potential as a very productive backup C. He can wreck havoc against backups and scrubs.

Regarding Seraphin, I don't see an NBA starter. I don't think he could play more than 15-20 minutes without fouling out. And he looks a lot smaller than Kendrick Perkins to me. Maybe my eyes are deceiving me b/c I know the measurements say one thing, but he even looks significantly smaller than Nene.

We definitely need an elite defender. A second rebounder would hurt either.

Thing is, I don't think there's an elite defender in this years draft.
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#252 » by DMVleGeND » Mon Mar 7, 2011 9:31 pm

Dat2U wrote:
fishercob wrote:

McGee is not anchoring any defense anytime soon. He's not up to it. Now I'm not as sold on Batum as most here. He seems like he's plateaued a bit as player this season. His advanced numbers have fallen back to their rookie levels. He does some nice things and projects as a good defender but he's incredibly passive at times. I'd hesitate to make that trade but I'm certainly not against dealing McGee. It doesn't have to be for a center but someone I'm confident can be a good running mate with John Wall. If that player isn't available, I'm not against keeping McGee in a 6th man role. I've always said I see his potential as a very productive backup C. He can wreck havoc against backups and scrubs.

Regarding Seraphin, I don't see an NBA starter. I don't think he could play more than 15-20 minutes without fouling out. And he looks a lot smaller than Kendrick Perkins to me. Maybe my eyes are deceiving me b/c I know the measurements say one thing, but he even looks significantly smaller than Nene.

We definitely need an elite defender. A second rebounder would hurt either.

Thing is, I don't think there's an elite defender in this years draft.

Chris Singleton is an elite defender, but the broken foot might cause him to return to school next season. I would love to get him with the Hawks pick.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,088

Post#253 » by Dat2U » Mon Mar 7, 2011 9:55 pm

Well I should have been clear. An elite post defender. Singleton is a SF. You gotta have a dominating two way presence or an elite post defender if your going to have any championship aspirations. The Bulls had Cartwright then Rodman. The Rockets had Olajuwon. The Pistons had the Wallace Bros. The Lakers had Shaq in his prime and now have Gasol, Bynum & Odom. Boston had Garnett & Perkins.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,667

Post#254 » by penbeast0 » Tue Mar 8, 2011 12:07 am

Cartwright? I mean he wasn't bad with the Bulls (never impressed me much with the Knicks) but hardly elite. Just tough with sharp pointy elbows but not great quicks, footwork, could get pushed around by the strong guys; Horace Grant was the more elite big guy defender pretty easily.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,285

Post#255 » by nate33 » Tue Mar 8, 2011 12:15 am

Here's a plan:

* Draft Derrick Williams
* Trade McGee for a 2012 lotto pick
* Resign Nick Young to a massively frontloaded contract of $12M followed by $3M a year for the next 3 years.

Roll next year with: Wall, Young, Lewis, Williams, Blatche; with Crawford, Booker and Seraphin off the bench. The team still won't be very good, but hopefully with improvement from Wall, Booker and Seraphin, plus some better health out of Blatche, they'll be a 35-win team.

Next summer, instead of buying out Lewis for $17M, extend him two years at $12M a year. With Lewis resigned with a lower cap number, McGee off the roster, and Young with a cheap 2012 salary, the team should have $20M in cap room. Trade our two 2012 lotto picks, our 2014 pick, and one of Booker/Seraphin/Blatche for Dwight Howard + Chris Duhon's contract. (Dwight might be interested if Wall improves, Williams looks like the real deal, and his buddy Lewis is still on the roster).

2012 lineup (assuming Seraphin is the one sent to Orlando):
PG Wall/Duhon
SG Young/Crawford
SF Lewis/2011 ATL pick
PF Williams/Booker
C Howard/Blatche

That's great balance in the front court. Each unit has one defensive/rebounding grunt and one skill player. And the beauty is that Lewis comes off the books when it's time to extend Wall and Booker.
hands11
Banned User

Post#256 » by hands11 » Tue Mar 8, 2011 12:52 am

Rafael122 wrote:
hands11 wrote:

I'm surprised more on the board aren't talking about him. That is draftxpress has us taking.

He's like in our top 5. Check out the draft thread, he's probably one of the top 5 on everyone's list. Only thing we're questioning is his position in the pros, is he a 3 or a 4? He's certainly got the wingspan to play power forward...

I have read and posted in there. I don't recall reading other posting about him. Its all Sulinger, Jonas, Perry, Enes, Barnes, etc.

Maybe I missed it.

As for his position, I hadn't considered him at SF. I thought he was a PF.
hands11
Banned User

Post#257 » by hands11 » Tue Mar 8, 2011 1:02 am

nate33 wrote:Here's a plan:

* Draft Derrick Williams
* Resign Nick Young to a massively frontloaded contract of $12M followed by $3M a year for the next 3 years.

Roll next year with: Wall, Young, Lewis, Williams, Blatche; with Crawford, Booker and Seraphin off the bench. The team still won't be very good, but hopefully with improvement from Wall, Booker and Seraphin, plus some better health out of Blatche, they'll be a 35-win team.

Next summer, instead of buying out Lewis for $17M, extend him two years at $12M a year. With Lewis resigned with a lower cap number, McGee off the roster, and Young with a cheap 2012 salary, the team should have $20M in cap room. Trade our two 2012 lotto picks, our 2014 pick, and one of Booker/Seraphin/Blatche for Dwight Howard + Chris Duhon's contract. (Dwight might be interested if Wall improves, Williams looks like the real deal, and his buddy Lewis is still on the roster).

PG Wall/Duhon
SG Young/Crawford
SF Lewis/2011 ATL pick
PF Williams/Booker
C Howard/Blatche

That's great balance in the front court. Each unit has one defensive/rebounding grunt and one skill player. And the beauty is that Lewis comes off the books when it's time to extend Wall and Booker.

Sounds close to the plan I laid out so sounds good to me.

I think in my version I have us trading Lewis exp, a first, McGee and something or another but they are in the same ball park.
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#258 » by DaRealHibachi » Tue Mar 8, 2011 1:15 am

nate33 wrote:Here's a plan:

* Draft Derrick Williams

PG Wall/Duhon
SG Young/Crawford
SF Lewis/2011 ATL pick
PF Williams/Booker
C Howard/Blatche

:bowdown:

And it's not even that far-fetched (Dwight 50/50 atleast)... Great job Nate!!!

Now can we just fire EG and recommend Nate for his position...??? :D
:beer: Magnumt
dangermouse
Lead Assistant

Post#259 » by dangermouse » Tue Mar 8, 2011 1:48 am

I think Derrick Williams is a 3 in the NBA, but with the ability to play the 4 for stretches as well, much like M. Beasley. He seems a hell of a lot stronger and quicker than him though, and with better ability to post up. He could post up guys like Melo does imo. Hes got some hustle in him too, i havent read anything about his personality but he seems like the perfect player for us to take if we get a high enough pick and if we are keeping Blatche.

dangermouse
Lead Assistant

Post#260 » by dangermouse » Tue Mar 8, 2011 1:58 am

I too like Jeff Green, but he will cost too much for us to go after as others have told me every time i mention his name.

A guy like Rashard Lewis in his Sonics days? From this draft the first name that came into my head was Terrence Jones. Hes long, moves like Shard, seems to have range (ive only seen highlights). He seems to be the most like old school Shard that ive seen yet.

Perry Jones, it might just be his length and height (i see him as a SF, not a PF in the NBA), but he reminds me a lot of Kevin Durant in college. People questioned Durant's projected position in the NBA too, many thought he would bulk up/grow taller and could possibly become a PF. Jones has quicks, length, ball handlind, a good shooting motion and touch. He seems like a baby-Durant with more athletecism. I dont think he'll be as good as Durant is though, probably not even close.

I see a lot of good prospects in this draft, i think its about 6-7 players deep. Sullinger, Williams and Irving are the clear standouts though from what ive seen.

Return to Washington Wizards