How do you fix this team?

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Re: How do you fix this team? 

Post#318 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 3:28 pm

I'd love to trade McGee for Batum if Batum was on his rookie contract until 2013. The problem is, Batum is a free agent in 2012. If we decide to keep him, it eats a big hole into our 2012 cap space and ruins our chances for a big name free agent in 2012.

If we trade McGee, I'd like it to be for someone from the 2009 or 2010 draft class. We'd be better off with someone like Austin Daye or Taj Gibson. Either that or trade him for a high 2012 draft pick.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#319 » by Nivek » Wed Mar 9, 2011 4:06 pm

I think McGee has too much upside to deal him right now. They're not going to get a "future value" return, and his future value is potentially among the best players in the game. He makes plays and occasionally dominates despite having little idea of what he's doing. Wiz need to be patient with him.

Good example of his continued low IQ, first quarter the Wiz run a high screen/roll where McGee sets the pick for Wall. Wall goes past, and McGee just stands there near the 3pt line. From the bench comes the shout, "ROLL!!!"

Still, too much upside. Gotta keep working with him and hope something gets into that psyche and gets him to work seriously on his game.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#320 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 4:11 pm

Nivek wrote:Good example of his continued low IQ, first quarter the Wiz run a high screen/roll where McGee sets the pick for Wall. Wall goes past, and McGee just stands there near the 3pt line. From the bench comes the shout, "ROLL!!!"

:nonono:

For the record, I'm not actively looking to trade McGee. I just suggested trades that I would like more so than the Batum suggestion. The only McGee trade that interests me now would be one for a 2012 draft pick - and that depends on how high the pick is. (It also depends on whether the new CBA will mandate two years of college ball before entering the pros. That 2012 draft might be dreadful. Mason Plumlee could go top 5.)
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#321 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Mar 9, 2011 4:16 pm

Austin Daye or Taj Gibson for McGee? Center is the hardest position to fill. Detroit would take that and be well on their way to respectability with Monroe and McGee. Thibodeau would be even better off depth-wise, having an even better, younger by almost three years than Gibson, shot blocker.

I don't like either of those players for McGee. Contracts might match but not talent level, although Daye will improve and is a decent player as is Gibson.

McGee with Rose, Noah, Boozer and Deng would make the Bulls a future dynasty IMO.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#322 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Mar 9, 2011 4:18 pm

Nivek wrote:I think McGee has too much upside to deal him right now. They're not going to get a "future value" return, and his future value is potentially among the best players in the game. He makes plays and occasionally dominates despite having little idea of what he's doing. Wiz need to be patient with him.

Good example of his continued low IQ, first quarter the Wiz run a high screen/roll where McGee sets the pick for Wall. Wall goes past, and McGee just stands there near the 3pt line. From the bench comes the shout, "ROLL!!!"

Still, too much upside. Gotta keep working with him and hope something gets into that psyche and gets him to work seriously on his game.

+1

I couldn't agree more.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#323 » by closg00 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 4:37 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Nivek wrote:I think McGee has too much upside to deal him right now. They're not going to get a "future value" return, and his future value is potentially among the best players in the game. He makes plays and occasionally dominates despite having little idea of what he's doing. Wiz need to be patient with him.

+1

I couldn't agree more.

:nod:
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,150

Post#324 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Mar 9, 2011 5:07 pm

ugh.

How can it take more than a few months to learn how to roll after you set the pick? That's unfathomable.

My biggest difficulty was learning to roll facing the ball carrier instead of turning away from him and having the ball bounce off the back of my head all the time.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,298

Post#325 » by dobrojim » Wed Mar 9, 2011 5:12 pm

DCZards wrote:
eitanr wrote:

I feel there's too much McGee hate on this board. The guy still has the skill set and has shown enough progress thus far in his career to likely be our future starting center. His chemistry with Wall is also something to note and overall the two should be able to produce similarly to a Rose-Noah sooner rather than later. We'd be hard pressed to find a better fit long term at the 5 slot right now than JaVale McGee.

I haven't seen a lot of "hate" on this board toward McGee. Disappointment, yes. But not hate. I think most posters here root for MGee to do well, as any Zards fans would. But he simply hasn't improved as much as some of us, including myself, thought he would have at this point (the third year) in his career.

As much as I hate to say it, I share the view of some others on this board, which is that Javele's mother is a big part of his problem. I think she's got him believing that he's better than he really is. And part of that belief comes from the fact that he's so incredibly athletic for a 7 footer. I think that has Javale believing that he doesn't need to work on the fundamentals, such as learning how to box it, because he thinks he can just get away with being tall, long and athletic.

I don't know how a player's mother enters into any discussion of the player's performance.

I agree with eitanr. This board is predominantly set on hating McGee. In ten years on this site this particular culture smacks of groupthink IMO. After every bad play it is fair game to call a guy a moron or an imbecile and to talk about the guy's mom.

When I post stats that show the team is much better offensively and slightly better defensively with McGee on the court folks mobilize to disprove facts. They start taking about Armstrong or say the 82 games stuff is not up to date.

When McGee grabs 3 rebounds in 30 minutes, it's like Flip Saunders' misinformed rant all over again, that Javale's a poor rebounder, gets repeated. I won't show the rebounding rate of everybody on the team because haters see what they want to see.

As far as I am concerned the dunk contest guy is the most physically gifted athlete on this team. Flip Saunders is the kind of coach that would stifle winning combinations of players for strict adherence to his system and his way. McGee might look bad but I have ZERO faith in his coach.

Javale should be traded. Then folks can dump on other players but never the coach.

McGee is the best athlete on the team, one of the best athletes in the league.
Unfortunately, it appears to many, myself among them, that he has not, in 3 years,
worked to fulfill his great potential by learning how to play the game. Somehow,
someway, it appears as though he lacks the motivation to put in the necessary
work to become what his off-the-charts physical abilities would suggest he is
capable of. If he wants to disprove the widely held notion that he thinks he is
better than he really is, he is the only one who can do that.

It's not about Flip Saunders. It's about Javale McGee. You can cite all the
stats you want about how the team is better with him playing. I don't think
anyone disputes that. But you have to admit that he may not even be
HALF the player he could be if he knew how to play. That's why all the
Javale FRUSTRATION, not hate. It's because a blind man can see what he
could do if he knew how. And Javale, not Flip, is the one preventing that from
happening.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#326 » by dobrojim » Wed Mar 9, 2011 5:14 pm

Illuminaire wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Generalizations go here

CCJ, just because some people actually discuss or argue your position does not mean that they are necessarily wrong, and it most definitely does not mean that they are "haters."

We're not the enemy here. We're all just trying to figure out why a talented athlete that we want to enjoy watching isn't playing up to his true ability.

(Also, it's one thing to blame Flip for the team's issues, that at least has a layer of connectivity. Somehow linking the McGee discussion to other people on the board not blaming the coach is kind of ridiculous. =D )

+1

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#327 » by dobrojim » Wed Mar 9, 2011 5:22 pm

crackhed wrote:
Chaos Revenant wrote:The thing that makes me laugh about the McGee defenders is that they attribute his poor play and lack of basketball intelligence to everything BUT Javale McGee. Coaching, rotations, his mom, etc, etc. Do you really think that Flip's ROTATIONS are the reasons a 7'1 guy can only grab 3 boards in 30 minutes?

(also his PER is inflated because of his insane yet big-picture meaningless block numbers, his FG% is inflated because he's basically a putback and dunk guy, etc, etc).

The guy wants to make SportsCenter highlights. He doesn't care that much about winning at the moment.

an effective coach can fix mcgee's idiocy on the court assuming McGee is willing to
accept the need for change and work hard to make it happen.

fixed

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#328 » by LyricalRico » Wed Mar 9, 2011 5:34 pm

closg00 wrote:

+1

I couldn't agree more.

:nod:

I would have agreed with you in years past. But this summer will be our last chance to get good value for him IMO. If he goes into next season and still stinks, we'll get pennies on the dollar at the deadline because he will be an impending RFA. I think teams would give up more if we shop him before the season starts.

And then what happens if he still doesn't make much progress next year but they can't get anything for him so he stays here? Then you either lose him for nothing or have to invest a longterm contract in a guy who still might never "get it". We already got burned doing the latter with Blatche. Why go down that road again?

The ONLY way I see keeping McGee and it working out is if he makea a quantum leap playing for the Wiz next season and then agrees to a reasonable longterm contract next summer. Anything short of that IMO and we will either lose him for nothing or keep him but wish we'd traded him when we had the chance. Are you confident enough in his ability to take that quantum leap to risk that? I'm not. I'd rather get what I can now and let him break somebody else's heart.
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#329 » by BruceO » Wed Mar 9, 2011 5:53 pm

players i feel would fit into this team are rodney stuckey, kevin martin, iggy, granger, oden, cousins and enes kanter via draft. i'd draft kanter. develop mcgee and see if i can use him as a play for cousins, granger, kmart or oden. make a play for stuckey and detroits pick to take on bad contract. use pick for small forward barnes or tjones.
RealGM

Post#330 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Mar 9, 2011 6:07 pm

dobrojim wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I don't know how a player's mother enters into any discussion of the player's performance.

I agree with eitanr. This board is predominantly set on hating McGee. In ten years on this site this particular culture smacks of groupthink IMO. After every bad play it is fair game to call a guy a moron or an imbecile and to talk about the guy's mom.

When I post stats that show the team is much better offensively and slightly better defensively with McGee on the court folks mobilize to disprove facts. They start taking about Armstrong or say the 82 games stuff is not up to date.

When McGee grabs 3 rebounds in 30 minutes, it's like Flip Saunders' misinformed rant all over again, that Javale's a poor rebounder, gets repeated. I won't show the rebounding rate of everybody on the team because haters see what they want to see.

As far as I am concerned the dunk contest guy is the most physically gifted athlete on this team. Flip Saunders is the kind of coach that would stifle winning combinations of players for strict adherence to his system and his way. McGee might look bad but I have ZERO faith in his coach.

Javale should be traded. Then folks can dump on other players but never the coach.

Unfortunately, it appears to many, myself among them, that he has not, in 3 years,
worked to fulfill his great potential by learning how to play the game. Somehow,

happening.

The fact that defensively McGee was epically bad in all combinations last season and is not this season is attributable to what, jim? How are the improvements fishercob pointed out possible? If you go back over player of the game threads following Wizards wins, if there are five starters and McGee was POTG three times, and he didn't start last season and he does now what is that if not improvement? At 23, how much older is McGee than Booker or N'Diaye?

My comments about Saunders come down to this: If Blatche is the big next to McGee that's two finesse players, one a low-efficiency, ball-dominant, primarily jump-shooting big. In Flip's sets the onus is on quick shots initiated by perimeter players. That puts McGee on the margin on offense. When McGee gets a shot it is rarely ever after good ball movement. McGee is usually forcing a shot because no plays are called for him. He's asked to defend, rebound, and bang but not rewarded for working hard. He might a great deal of knowledge. McGee dogging it is something occurring recently since improvements were made when his asthma was discovered. If he's dogging it the problem is his attitude IMO. No doubt McGee is to blame for that, but a new coach to him would be like a child getting a new school teacher. You better believe it could make a big difference. How would Laimbeer coach the Wizard bigs?

The Wizards for as long as I can recall have been a jump shooting team. Thank goodness circumstances forced Saunders to give Young a chance. Last season he was the fans whipping boy. "Too dumb" and "doesn't work hard on his game." "Hasn't improved in three years", etc., are the very same things that were said about Nick Young last season that are being said about McGee today.

Fishercob, you are correct to say I cannot have it both ways. Players have improved under Flip, McGee included. I don't like McGee's role because I think the Wizards would be much better off with Booker at PF and with perimeter shooting that Martin showed earlier at SF, and with McGee much more involved offensively--in essence, the Wizards' summer league squad. Wall needs shooters and active rebounders who hustle with him.

Just my opinion, FWIW. Ironically, I loved Blatche last season and think he's a decent player. Just not the way he's allowed to stop the ball this season.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#331 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Mar 9, 2011 6:22 pm

Call it a gut feeling, but I think the main thing the Wizards need is a new coaching staff.

Trade any player, including McGee, that wants out of DC, but do change from the top down coaching.
Bye bye Beal.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#332 » by dobrojim » Wed Mar 9, 2011 6:53 pm

[
dobrojim wrote:

happening.

The fact that defensively McGee was epically bad in all combinations last season and is not this season is attributable to what, jim? How are the improvements fishercob pointed out possible? If you go back over player of the game threads following Wizards wins, if there are five starters and McGee was POTG three times, and he didn't start last season and he does now what is that if not improvement? At 23, how much older is McGee than Booker or N'Diaye?

My comments about Saunders come down to this: If Blatche is the big next to McGee that's two finesse players, one a low-efficiency, ball-dominant, primarily jump-shooting big. In Flip's sets the onus is on quick shots initiated by perimeter players. That puts McGee on the margin on offense. When McGee gets a shot it is rarely ever after good ball movement. McGee is usually forcing a shot because no plays are called for him. He's asked to defend, rebound, and bang but not rewarded for working hard. He might a great deal of knowledge. McGee dogging it is something occurring recently since improvements were made when his asthma was discovered. If he's dogging it the problem is his attitude IMO. No doubt McGee is to blame for that, but a new coach to him would be like a child getting a new school teacher. You better believe it could make a big difference. How would Laimbeer coach the Wizard bigs?

The Wizards for as long as I can recall have been a jump shooting team. Thank goodness circumstances forced Saunders to give Young a chance. Last season he was the fans whipping boy. "Too dumb" and "doesn't work hard on his game." "Hasn't improved in three years", etc., are the very same things that were said about Nick Young last season that are being said about McGee today.

Fishercob, you are correct to say I cannot have it both ways. Players have improved under Flip, McGee included. I don't like McGee's role because I think the Wizards would be much better off with Booker at PF and with perimeter shooting that Martin showed earlier at SF, and with McGee much more involved offensively--in essence, the Wizards' summer league squad. Wall needs shooters and active rebounders who hustle with him.

Just my opinion, FWIW. Ironically, I loved Blatche last season and think he's a decent player. Just not the way he's allowed to stop the ball this season.

I'm not saying McGee hasn't gotten better. There clearly are aspects of his game that
have gotten better. The clear impression remains however that McGee seems to be
more interested in making an ESPN top ten play then he is on doing the simple
fundamental things that winning basketball requires. I'm not saying to trade him.
I'm not saying to bench him. I would be OK with him taking a few more shots a
game assuming they're good shots like the running hook he's developed. What
I am saying, since this is the how to fix the team thread, is that mgmt had
better at least recognize the very real possibility that McGee never becomes
the player that his elite athleticism would suggest is possible. If the Spurs
are the model - and why wouldn't they be? - someone should point out to Javale
that Tim Duncan is almost never in the espn highlights. Even back in the day
when he was at his physical peak, Duncan was not really a highlight reel player.
Results over flash.

I remain pessimistic about his future growth when I see the same
defensive cluelessness so much of the time.

It's not about Flip. It's about Javale.

I think if Javale demonstrated the actual (mental) ability to play better, either
in games or in practice, the coaches would be smart enough to adapt
the system to take advantage of that.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#333 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 9, 2011 6:57 pm

McGee is usually forcing a shot because no plays are called for him.

I apologize for taking just 1 comment of many, I just couldn't let it past without commenting. That concept of rationalizing forced shots is just horrible and - if true - he's a lot more immature than I realized. Also, it's faulty reasoning - if he's really using it. If he'd just show any willingness and skill to pass the ball, any sane coach (which Flip is) would want him more involved in the offense.

I think his biggest problem with the ball is - he's rushing. He needs to relax and look for his teammates when he's well covered. Then they'll be more willing to pass to him, and he'll end up getting more shots. And I'm sure the coaching staff has explained this to him - since Flip's pretty much said the same thing to the media. Some day that's going to click with him - I hope.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#334 » by dobrojim » Wed Mar 9, 2011 7:01 pm

another thought if the model for McGee is Chandler -

TC is now on his 4th team IIRC Chi, CHA, NO, DAL.
Was it any of his earlier coaches that prevented
him from becoming a solid contributor any sooner?
Was it inevitable that he would get better?
How much was natural growth and maturation?
How much of it was his own dedication to improvement?

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#335 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 7:07 pm

BruceO wrote:players i feel would fit into this team are rodney stuckey, kevin martin, iggy, granger, oden, cousins and enes kanter via draft.

I've got some problems with this list. Stuckey can't shoot from long range and is therefore a bad fit alongside Wall. Martin is redundant with Young and can't defend. I don't see him being enough of an upgrade over Young to be worth whatever it would take to acquire him. Iggy, like Stuckey, can't shoot. Wall needs his SG and SF to have 3-point range. I'd be cool with Granger or Oden. Cousin's is a tough call. We'd have to get rid of all of our knuckleheads and get some strong-willed vets to make it work.
RealGM

Post#336 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Mar 9, 2011 7:12 pm

dobrojim wrote:[

I'm not saying McGee hasn't gotten better. There clearly are aspects of his game that
have gotten better. The clear impression remains however that McGee seems to be
more interested in making an ESPN top ten play then he is on doing the simple
fundamental things that winning basketball requires. I'm not saying to trade him.
I'm not saying to bench him. I would be OK with him taking a few more shots a
game assuming they're good shots like the running hook he's developed. What
I am saying, since this is the how to fix the team thread, is that mgmt had
better at least recognize the very real possibility that McGee never becomes
the player that his elite athleticism would suggest is possible. If the Spurs
are the model - and why wouldn't they be? - someone should point out to Javale
that Tim Duncan is almost never in the espn highlights. Even back in the day
when he was at his physical peak, Duncan was not really a highlight reel player.
Results over flash.

I remain pessimistic about his future growth when I see the same
defensive cluelessness so much of the time.

It's not about Flip. It's about Javale.

I think if Javale demonstrated the actual (mental) ability to play better, either
in games or in practice, the coaches would be smart enough to adapt
the system to take advantage of that.

I agree with everything you just posted, jim.

I never said McGee was mature, grounded, focused, or fundamentally sound. I believe Bigdaddywookie is very much interested in self-promoting his "blockititis" on YouTube.

What I thought you and moreso others were saying is the guy had not improved and was not working on his game at all. I disagree there. I think time will address most of the attention-related stuff. McGee will continue to develop physically. Time will tell.
Bye bye Beal.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#337 » by dobrojim » Wed Mar 9, 2011 7:15 pm

at the risk of stating what is perfectly obvious,
because of his physical gifts, youth and the position
he plays, Javale McGee is the biggest wildcard in
trying to develop a strategy to become a winning
team. If the light ever goes on, both he and the
team are likely to be very relevant almost regardless
of what else the team does. I would not want to be
in the position of guessing which way that will go.
Mgmt needs to at least have a plan B.

Return to Washington Wizards