ImageImageImageImageImage

Jordan Crawford

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Re: Jordan Crawford 

Post#681 » by sashae » Mon Dec 9, 2013 7:55 pm

I watched the Knicks-Celtics beatdown yesterday, and Steezus looks different -- but not totally. He's much more involved, making good decisions with the ball (for the most part) but is shot selection is still alllll Steezus. Long, contested 3's (that he was making) and generally 'that guy' -- basically the Celtics have managed to somehow get 'hot Steezus' on most nights rather than the up-and-down we saw last year.
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#682 » by Slartibartfast » Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:25 pm

sashae wrote:I watched the Knicks-Celtics beatdown yesterday, and Steezus looks different -- but not totally. He's much more involved, making good decisions with the ball (for the most part) but is shot selection is still alllll Steezus. Long, contested 3's (that he was making) and generally 'that guy' -- basically the Celtics have managed to somehow get 'hot Steezus' on most nights rather than the up-and-down we saw last year.

Yep. As a C's fan, I'm not too optimistic about Crawford's ability to continue hitting those kind of 3's at 40% or even some of the running 2s he's always had in his repertoire. A lot of ridiculous heaves.

But the ability to make pretty solid decisions in the pick and roll has been encouraging. He may have established himself as a viable PG if that holds.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#683 » by Illuminaire » Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:36 pm

He was always a pretty good passer with the Wiz. What he was bad at was actually setting up plays, and restraining himself from chucking up shots early in the shot clock. If his new coach is actually getting him to run plays and cut out his worst shots... then yeah, I'm pretty confident he can be a back-up quality point guard.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#684 » by nate33 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:54 pm

Crawford always had a low turnover rate relative to his usage rate.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#685 » by verbal8 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:56 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
sashae wrote:I watched the Knicks-Celtics beatdown yesterday, and Steezus looks different -- but not totally. He's much more involved, making good decisions with the ball (for the most part) but is shot selection is still alllll Steezus. Long, contested 3's (that he was making) and generally 'that guy' -- basically the Celtics have managed to somehow get 'hot Steezus' on most nights rather than the up-and-down we saw last year.

Yep. As a C's fan, I'm not too optimistic about Crawford's ability to continue hitting those kind of 3's at 40% or even some of the running 2s he's always had in his repertoire. A lot of ridiculous heaves.

There was the beginning of a season(maybe his last with the Wizards) where this happened with Nick Young. He basically was taking the same shots he usually did, but was hitting 2 point jumpers at a ridiculous clip. He went into a slump and it basically evened that season out.

I think Crawford does have the tools to be a decent back-up PG.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#686 » by hands11 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 11:30 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
verbal8 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Crawford is having a real nice year - far better than he's ever played before - but this is water under the bridge. It's hard to crush EG on trading him for nothing since he also traded practically nothing to get him in the first place - and he was a questionable character when on the Wizards.

It is still early, but it looks like Stevens maybe one of the elite coaches. He really seems to be getting a lot out of a roster without a ton of talent.

A quick look at Crawford's number would suggest he is basically replacing long 2s with assists and shooting 3s a little better. His usage rate is just above 20 which seems more reasonable than what it has been in the past.

Yep, perfect example of a player that needed to move environments. Fresh start, fresh coach, little bit older, etc.

I don't think Crawford would ever have been happy hear playing 10 min/game behind Wall. He needed to move on...

Yeah. Moved to PG.

Gotta call BS on the poster saying a change of scene did it.

What did it was a change of position and a natural evolution of a player with skills and swag that believes in his game and works at it.. Craw needs touches and if he gets them dribbling the ball up the court then that eats into his need to get a feel for the game without catching and shooting. He could always make nice passes. He did it here. He could also dribble and drive and make nice shots. He also always got more efficient year over year.

Moving him to PG and him maturing his game as he had is all you are seeing. He would have done it here if given the opportunity. Count me as someone not shocked that we are seeing what we are seeing. Why ? Because I felt it would happen and said as much. He just needed moved to PG. And its not even that he has to only play PG. He can play some SG. But most his minutes have to come at PG. And he need regular minutes. And a regular role. Yanking him around like Randy did was not the way to go.

He was a good egg. A little off, but a good egg. And when he got it going, Craw was fun to watch. He does bring entertainment value along with his skill.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiGEGkFf9Bk[/youtube]
hands11
Banned User

Post#687 » by hands11 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 11:51 pm

Could he play PG. I don't know. Lets hear what Beal has to say.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X2FqlcIYBk[/youtube]
hands11
Banned User

Post#688 » by hands11 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 11:59 pm

1:40 mark :lol: :roll:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi8SkMOTYlU[/youtube]
hands11
Banned User

Post#689 » by hands11 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:06 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIN-XIFCdlU[/youtube]

Crawford Swag rubs off on his teammates.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#690 » by dckingsfan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:28 am

Well, a change of scenery AND a new coach AND the right opportunity. Remember, he didn't exactly tear it up in Boston last year.

And he wasn't happy here right? - http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/2/19 ... on-wizards

I am happy for Crawford that he got traded - it was the right thing to do for all parties at the time.

Regardless of the eventual "told you so" comments that follow.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#691 » by dckingsfan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:28 am

dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#692 » by dckingsfan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:30 am

TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#693 » by TGW » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:32 am

I don't miss this idiot at all. It's too bad EG signed Maynor—if we signed any of the other available point guards, I would have been just fine with that.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#694 » by dckingsfan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:49 am

TGW wrote:I don't miss this idiot at all. It's too bad EG signed Maynor—if we signed any of the other available point guards, I would have been just fine with that.

Robinson?
hands11
Banned User

Post#695 » by hands11 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:51 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... f-The-Week

Jordan Crawford LaMarcus Aldridge Named NBA Players Of The Week

Crawford averaged 23.3 points on 61 percent shooting along with 6.7 assists and 3.0 rebounds in the Boston Celtics' 3-0 week.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#696 » by AFM » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:57 am

He's a damn good player. Shooting 47 percent from the field this year
hands11
Banned User

Post#697 » by hands11 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:21 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Well, a change of scenery AND a new coach AND the right opportunity. Remember, he didn't exactly tear it up in Boston last year.

And he wasn't happy here right? - http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/2/19 ... on-wizards

I am happy for Crawford that he got traded - it was the right thing to do for all parties at the time.

Regardless of the eventual "told you so" comments that follow.

Right. Last year he was just another SG coming off the bench for Boston. Same way we used him. And they got about the same level of production from him that we did when we used him like that.

After 4 games this year, they moved him to PG.

Thing that kills me is that Randy, after everyone else failed at PG, and he had no other options, he did move Crawford to PG. But it lasted all of 5 games.

Here was the first. - http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?id=400278027
26 pts, 6 rebounds 4 assists

Here was the last - http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?id=400278076
27 pts 11 rebounds 11 assists

The following games he started Shawn Livingston at PG. Shawn had just joined the team. He moved Crawford to starting SG while Beal was out. What did Crawford do, he continued to crank out 20 pts games with 6 assists.

Then Beal returned and Crawford was moved to the bench as a SG, but now with Temple starting at PG. More 20 pts games. Crawford should have been the PG with Beal. Just like he was before Beal got hurt when he posted the triple double. But with Temple and Crawford, Temple played as much SG as PG so that combination worked.

Then Wall returned so Crawford finally sat out 4 games to rest his ankle which he had been playing on injured. He had been sucking it up because the team needed him out there they were so short handed. Wall was coming off the bench and now AJ Price was the starting PG now and Crawfords minutes started getting trimmed. He was now exclusively playing off the ball off the bench because he was playing with Wall all his minutes. Not the best way to use Crawford for all his minutes. He needs touches. Sitting off ball doesn't do that. Crawford should have been the starting PG not Price. Then you could use him some off ball with Wall.

That turned into AJ Price as the bench PG with Crawford playing off the ball waiting around to see if Price can figure out a way to run an offense. Sitting around in the corner waiting for a pass. :roll:

A few games later, Crawford was down to 5 or 6 minutes as game with Temple logging massive minutes as the starting SG with Beal out again but Wall back, and Price getting all the minutes off the bench.

12 games after his 5th game at PG where he posted a triple double with 27 pts, he had been move from starting PG where he produced, to starting SG where he produced with Temple, to bench SG with Wall and Price where he didn't, to 5 mins a game, to off the team. And they got nothing for him. :lol:

He should have gotten everything starting PG min there was when Wall was out. Everything starting SG minute there was with Beal out. And everything back up PG minutes there was when both returned as starters.

It was a massive failure of coaching. Specially since we need exactly that player still. Instead we have Maynor and his traveling farts who lacks everything Crawford has.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#698 » by dckingsfan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:07 pm

Exactly - he and Randy weren't going to see eye to eye, time for him to move on.

And like most things, it was probably a two way street. By all accounts, Crawford wasn't listening at the time. So it could have been an epic player failure as well.

We will probably never know.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#699 » by AFM » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:48 pm

Still could have gotten more for him than an expiring with a torn ACL. That's pathetic.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#700 » by dckingsfan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:07 pm

AFM wrote:Still could have gotten more for him than an expiring with a torn ACL. That's pathetic.

And therein lies the problem of sell low, buy high Grunfeld.

Return to Washington Wizards