ImageImageImageImageImage

Jordan Crawford

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: Jordan Crawford 

Post#481 » by Nivek » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:47 pm

cwb3 wrote:I can somewhat see the comparison to Nick Young as a shooter. Sometimes he shoots for the sake of shooting, sometime early in the shot clock. Unlike NY however, he seems a decent defender and really can pass.

Passing, yes. Defense? Not so much. There aren't a ton of good numbers for individual defense, but what info there is suggests Crawford is a poor defender -- very few steals or blocks for a guard (team level steals aren't an indicator of good team defense, but individuals who generate steals are generally valuable defenders). His defensive rebounding is average for a guard.

His defensive on/off numbers have been bad, though they're not awful this year.

I am not in love with the guy, but this year he is one of very few Wizards who can be a threat to score on any possession. Would prefer him as a spark off the bench role player. But this year that is not possible. I agree though, don't extend him or anything, see what he might fetch off the open market, then see if that is price the Wizards might want to match.

I don't agree with this. He shoots a lot, and he's slightly more efficient than the Wizards as a whole, but he's still inefficient compared to the league. He's producing 98 points per 100 possessions -- league average is 105. Wizards are 96, and he's one of the reasons why they're that bad. He's a threat to take a shot on any possession, but not necessarily to score.

Crawford works hard, but as I tweeted after that triple-double game, I've never seen a player work so hard to get bad shots.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,903

Post#482 » by DCZards » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:47 pm

There's a lot to hate about Crawford's game, especially his terrible shot selection and mediocre defense. But i don't believe in judging any player's contribution solely on stats. To quote Einstein: "Not everything that counts can be counted."
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,852

Post#483 » by TGW » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:09 pm

DCZards wrote:There's a lot to hate about Crawford's game, especially his terrible shot selection and mediocre defense. But i don't believe in judging any player's contribution solely on stats. To quote Einstein: "Not everything that counts can be counted."

And that's why we are where we are right now. Grunfeld believes in this same non-sense as well.

Good players produce, bad players don't. It's that simple. Players who only offer "intangibles" only contribute when the team their on is a championship contender. When a team is in a position like the Wizards, they should ONLY look at stats. Everything else is a distant second.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#484 » by hands11 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Crawford is averaging career highs in scoring (15 points), assists (4.6) and rebounds (4.1) and is one of 10 players in the NBA averaging at least 15 points, four assists and four rebounds In his six games as starting point guard, Crawford is averaging 17.5 points, 6.3 assists and 6 rebounds

Crawford is also not going to handle defeat very well. The losses have been a strain for the last-place Wizards (3-20), but Crawford said he refuses to let them crush his spirit. “Every day is a new day. When we go into games, we have a chance to win close games,” he said. “We don't think we’re going to lose at all. We think we going to win. No matter how many times we lose, every day we think we going to win the next one.”

This team has a couple of players that I don't think will ever give up. Craw is one. Webster is another. Nene is a third.

These guys remind me a lot of the Skins last year. It took Shanny 3-4 years to rebuild that team. He just started adding more solid players and depth. He got ride of the Me players and added the We players. Then this year, RG3, Garson, and Afred, and RG3 willed them into being a winner. Now, even if RG3 goes down, the team still thinks they can win any game. Even the terrible D is looking better.

Skins were not supposed to be winning this much this year. People were beating on Shanny and Kyle. Amazing how things change with a few wins.

This team is going to start getting more healthy. That will help if Randy will line them up correctly. I'm still not sold he knows what that means. Either that or he is Master Tank Commander.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#485 » by Nivek » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:07 am

All Crawford's wonderful attributes, incredible improvement and non-statistical contributions have helped the Wizards to a 3-20 record and the league's worst offense by 3.9 points per 100 possessions.

Maybe the Wizards could do with more "counting" and less "judging."
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#486 » by AFM » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:18 am

Crawford tried so hard to impress tonight, jesus.
hands11
Banned User

Post#487 » by hands11 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:16 am

http://www.nba.com/wizards/video/2012/1 ... mv-2335050

There is just no quit in this kid. He bring everything he has every game.

He was asked to move to the bench. He supported what was best for the team. I will do what they ask of me.
Move him to back up PG, no problem
Move him to starting PG, he brings it.
Back to SG
Back to PG

And while to many players on this team lose confidence, Crawford is unshakable.

Dude deserve some major props.

Been driving all year and not getting nearly enough calls. Tonight, he went to the line 12 times and sunk 11. He had 1 pt in the first because he was trying to get Beal, Webster, Nene and Okafor going. He ended the game with 21.

I think he approaches the game the right way as a PG. He looks to get him teammates involved early, and then he brings his later when it is needed. I'm convinced he is more of a PG then a SG.
DCZards
General Manager

Post#488 » by DCZards » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:01 am

hands11 wrote:
And well to many players on this team lose confidence, Crawford is unshakable.

Dude deserve some major props.

Been driving all year and not getting nearly enough calls. Tonight, he went to the line 12 times and sunk 11. He had 1 pt in the first because he was trying to get Beal, Webster, Nene and Okafor going. He ended the game with 21..

JC has averaged close to 20 pts., almost 8 assists and 2 three ptrs. the last couple of weeks. He's also shooting 90% from the line. Crawford's shooting % still sucks but even that has shown some improvement. Yup, props are in order.
DCZards
General Manager

Post#489 » by DCZards » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:38 am

Oh, forgot to mention he's also averaging close to 6 boards.
hands11
Banned User

Post#490 » by hands11 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:49 pm

The kid is a better 3 ball and getting more calls from the refs when he drives away from starting to carve a name out for himself.

The good news is that his 3 ball has been getting better year over year.

.238 to .289 to .318 so far

and his FG% is improving year over year as well

.390 to .400 to .411 so far

Hopefully he at least gets to the .330 level this year from 3. He is still only 24 and only 1/4 of the way into his 3rd year in the league.

If the can get that 3 ball into the .350 range and his FG% into the .425 range, he will start to measure more favorably against his peers. And he needs a little help from the refs. He averages 3 FTA a game which isn't bad. If he could just draw one more shooting foul a game, he would be averaging 5 FTA and he shoots .837 from the line so that would up his pts per game by 1.7

That would put him in Jamal Crawford territory near 27.3 per 48 min which currently ranks 4th best in the league for SGs. Not bad for someone who almost slipped into the 2nd round of the draft. He was taken 27th in the first.

Other late round picks that did well for themselves.

Kevin Martin, 1st Rnd, 26th
Manu Ginobili, 2nd Rnd, 28th
Louis Williams, 2nd Rnd, 15th
Marcus Thornton, 2nd Rnd, 13th
Arron Afflalo, 1st Rnd, 27th

I think in time Brooks will get added to that list
Brooks, 1st Rnd, 25th
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,811

Post#491 » by tontoz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:02 pm

This year vs last year

TS%
2011 48.8%
2012 50.7%

Rebound Rate
2011 5.4
2012 7.5

Assist Rate

Obviously his shot selection still needs to improve but he is making significant progress.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
hands11
Banned User

Post#492 » by hands11 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:54 pm

He does take some really difficult shots but you know what, most of those really difficult ones actually go in. He seems to actually shoot better off balance and spinning around then he does with a wide open shot. The ability to make really tough shots like that is a playoff level skill. Come playoff time, open looks are a lot harder to come by. As for right now, Beal would be pretty useless as a scorer in the playoffs. His defense would be ok but thats about it. Basically Trevor A at SG.

But Crawford did shot .342 from 3 for Dec and that with a bad 3 games run where he was 2-15 from 3.

For Nov he shot .318 from 3

Numbers seem to be headed in the right direction.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... this-week/

Jordan Crawford returned to practice on Monday after missing Saturday’s 87-77 loss to Chicago with a sore left ankle. Coach Randy Wittman said Crawford has been battling the injury for the past few weeks after absorbing a hard foul at recent home game.

“He practiced, said he was feeling better,” Witman said. “It’s been lingering. Three weeks ago, he turned it, down at that end, and you know he didn’t come out that game, but he’s kind of played through it and it’s been one of those, it’s just never gone away. And he warmed up in Chicago, prior to the game and it was so stiff. He couldn’t get it loose. That was the first time. He’s pretty resilient in terms of playing through things, so it must’ve really been bothering him.

Big Balls Crawford is a warrior. We need to get some of these other young players to shine up their balls and get in the fight.
B-easy
Sixth Man
And1: 469

Post#493 » by B-easy » Tue Jan 1, 2013 9:38 am

Wasn't it only a while ago when everybody hated this guy?

BTW i haven't been watching many wizards games this season.
hands11
Banned User

Post#494 » by hands11 » Tue Jan 1, 2013 4:56 pm

Was just looking through some player stats and saw something I thought was interesting while looking at the

In Wins vs In Lose stats. Who are the biggest difference makers and what is their formula in wins.

Clearly Nene is an important piece to be on the floor if they are going to win, but it hasnt been his pts that have made the difference, it been his rebounds.

Nene
in wins 11.5 pts 8 rebounds .481 shooting
In Ls 13.8 pts 5.9 rebounds .529 shooting

Okafor. His rounding is the same in wins and losses but actually has a lower shooting percentage .368 and 4.5 pts in wins then he does in losses .459 and 8.2 in losses

Webster He plays less mins and shoots worse in wins .304 and 7.4 pts vs .436 and 9.3 in losses
Martin Shooting .167 with 3.0 pts in win vs .405 and 7.2 pts in losses
Singleton also plays more mins and shoots a higher % in losses then in win.

Beal. In wins, he plays less minutes 25 vs 30.8 In those less mins he shoots .415 vs .343 His Pts prorated are about the same give less mins 10.3 in win vs 12.5 in losses

So of those players, the only meaningful difference maker I saw was Nene and it was because of his rebounding. When he rebounds better along with Okafor steady as we go numbers, they win more. Kind of interesting to see so many player shooting worse in wins and better in loses.

One way of looking at that is that they are stepping it up when the team is losing. Another way to look at it is, they can't perform well when the team has a lead and it really matters. Nothing screams that more then Martins numbers. Small sample size but still. Martin doesn't strike me as someone who can get it done when it is most needed.

Here are some bigger difference makers.

Kevin S
In Wins he plays 28 mins shoots .480 with 8.5 rebounds 12pts vs in losses 24 min .446 with 4.9 rebounds 10pts
So when he rebounds 3.5 rebounds more a game, the team wins more.

Next I'm putting into the category of better PG play. Small sample since since we have had so many but.
Price shot .429 in wins vs .359 in loses. pts min assist stayed the game
Livingston shot .429 in wins vs .346 in loses pts min assist stayed the game
Temples numbers are a very small sample but he beasted in the win .750 13 pts vs .286 5.0 pts in losses

Trevor A
In wins he shot .533 with 3.5 rebs, 3.5 assist 9pts in 26.5 min vs
In Ls he shot .325 with 5.2 rebs, 1.8 assists, 7.9 pts 24.8 min
That's a pretty big leap in shooting. When he rebound less, assists more and is accurate shooting, they win more.

And off course, the biggest difference maker is BIG BALLS

Crawford
in wins 33.5 min .486 shooting 4 rbs 4.3 ast 23.5 pts
In Ls 29.3 min .394 shooting 4.1 rebs 4.8 ast 14.7 pts

So his rebounds are about the same and his assists go up some when he is having an off night shooting but when he is on, he scorers 9 pts better and they have a better chance to win.

Formula for Wins. Nene rebounds well. Kevin S rebounds much better and has better shot selection. They have effective PG play from somebody. Beal plays only 25 mins. Trevor A is having a good shooting night with rebounding less and passing more and Crawford plays 33.5 mins and is hot shooting.

How things are going to get better - the return on Wall and Trevor A
Considering how important PG play has been, the return on Wall is definitely going to help. Specially since this team lack pure shooters who can perform in half court. Getting out and running will help a lot of players on this team. Beal is better in transition. So are Ves, Webster and Trevor A. Considering how little of a difference maker Martin, Webster and Singleton are when compared to Trevor A, his return is going to help a lot if he can get productive like he was in wins. Trevor A also steals the ball which helps with in transition. And he is a good long defender at SF to shut down other scoring SFs.

And while Crawford has been battling a bad ankle the last three weeks, he rarely misses games. He should be back out there next game.

So for now, if Nene, Okafor and Kevin are rebounding, they get some production from Temple, Mack, Crawford at PG and Crawford is on, they are much more likely to win. Crawford scoring 20 pts is a pretty good indicator as is Kevin and Nene with at least 8 rebounds.

Wiz were 95.1 7th in pace last year with Wall. This year they are 93.7 20th. Temple seems to be helping there. Wall is going to help there for sure. This team was designed to be a top 5 defensive team that can get out and run. We haven't gotten to see all of that yet. Getting Trevor A and Wall back will put them in a position to finally do it.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 18,999

Post#495 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 1, 2013 5:48 pm

I don't really see much value in those types of stats, hands11. Of course the team wins more when players play better and they lose when players play worse.
hands11
Banned User

Post#496 » by hands11 » Tue Jan 1, 2013 8:58 pm

nate33 wrote:I don't really see much value in those types of stats, hands11. Of course the team wins more when players play better and they lose when players play worse.

Well if you actually read what I wrote, you might find more value in them. Its not all the players that play better in wins. Many players played better in loses. It is specific players doing specific things that correlated with wins. Nene more rebounds, not pts. Kevin with 3.5 more rebounds is a big delta. Crawford was the one who had a huge delta in scoring in wins.

The point wasn't do players play better, it was which played better in win vs which played better in loses and which were the same. There were a lot of player who played better in loses.

I listed which players made a difference. Which didn't. And what things did the ones that made a difference do. i.e Nene more rebounds not more pts.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#497 » by montestewart » Tue Jan 1, 2013 11:14 pm

nate33 wrote:I don't really see much value in those types of stats, hands11. Of course the team wins more when players play better and they lose when players play worse.

I could see some possible value in it, but the Wizards have only four wins, so the sample size is pretty small at this point.
hands11
Banned User

Post#498 » by hands11 » Thu Jan 3, 2013 2:44 am

Crawford 2nd games back from sitting out with an ankle.

35 min 20 pts on 7-15 and 7 FTA. Team had 10 total FTAs.

Oh, add in 7 assist and 4 rebounds.

The kid sucks. We should have traded for a 2nd round pick. So say the approved board experts.

Every player on the team played at about the level we know they are capable short of Webster and maybe Nene with a few more rebounds. Indy was just a better team and the Wiz are still missing a few pieces.

Another game where they go down in the first and then play them even for three quarters. Seems to be their formula for a loss. Wall and Trevor A should help that.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#499 » by Knighthonor » Sat Jan 5, 2013 8:32 am

Wow Jordan Crawford gets no positive talk on this forum, when he been doing so well!

say anything positive about Jordan Crawford here and people call you a troll here.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 18,999

Post#500 » by nate33 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 2:39 pm

Jordan Crawford's stats (Last 10 games, Season, and Season per 36 minutes):

Code: Select all

Player      PTS  REB  AST  STL  BLK   TO  MIN  3P%  TS%  PER
last 10    20.3  4.9  5.7  1.0  0.0  3.3 35.8 .388 .588 19.1
season     16.1  4.1  4.6  0.8  0.1  2.7 30.4 .333 .518 16.8
season p36 19.3  4.9  5.5  0.9  0.1  3.2 30.4 .333 .518 16.8

His numbers for the season are respectable if a bit inefficient. His numbers over the last 10 games are awesome.

Return to Washington Wizards