Jordan Crawford

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,604

Re: Jordan Crawford 

Post#41 » by pancakes3 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:22 pm

hands,

everybody gets passed over on message boards. some worse than others, but it's not personally motivated. how can it be? we're all strangers. it might seem clique-y that the same posters get quoted over and over again (certainly not me. i almost never get +1'ed.) but that's based on the merits of their post and the wisdom of crowds. also there's the slight possibility that people have you on ignore. nothing you can do about that. i suspect that some posters here have ME on ignore.

as some constructive criticism: i'm sure you're aware that you make really long posts, exasperated by your proclivity to include roster lineups. also, you have a tendency to repeat yourself, as well as dole out unnecessary information, AND you like to write in a dialogue-y style. it just makes your posts easy to skim over (especially if you're reading it on a mobile device).

also, i have to ask. in all the hubub, i went back and read your quoted post. where did Blatche go? You expect me to read 3-400 words and you completely whiff on my 3rd favorite wizard?

ps. you said that you read the posts and don't consider the author? some guys on this board have very distinct writing styles. if you see a coded spreadsheet, you can pretty much guess it's one of two posters. a large chunk of text where "Flip", "McGee", or "Nance" is used a disproportionate amount of times? that's a gimme. equally easy to spot is the prematurely clipped paragraphs that a certain ultramarathoner here posts with.
Bullets -> Wizards
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#42 » by nate33 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:38 pm

hands11, I suggest you work on being more concise. Generally, your long posts are an 80% rehash of what has already been said, plus maybe 20% of new material. The new material is often valuable to the discussion, but it's just too much work trying to sort through the "filler" to get to it.

Try to trim things down a bit and you'll probably get more responses. I must admit that I often see one of your 10-paragraph screeds and my eyes kinda glaze over halfway through the first paragraph, so I just skip it altogether.

If you'll notice, only the creatively gifted and eloquent writers like doclinkin and Ed Wood are really capable of pulling off the 10-paragraph diatribe. Everyone else sticks to 4 paragraphs or less. Consider CCJ. He's an ordinary writer like you and I, so he knows he can't get away with a page-long screed. When he has a lot to say, he doesn't put it in one post. He breaks it up into multiple posts.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#43 » by GhostsOfGil » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:40 pm

pancakes3 wrote:hands,

everybody gets passed over on message boards. some worse than others, but it's not personally motivated. how can it be? we're all strangers. it might seem clique-y that the same posters get quoted over and over again (certainly not me. i almost never get +1'ed.) but that's based on the merits of their post and the wisdom of crowds. also there's the slight possibility that people have you on ignore. nothing you can do about that. i suspect that some posters here have ME on ignore.

+1 :thumbsup:
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#44 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:49 pm

DaRealHibachi wrote:
nate33 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:i don't know why it's one or the other with Nick and Jamal. both will be able to be kept long term on the cheap. plus, nick can play spot minutes at the 3 and Crawford spot mins at the 1. shouldn't we be patting ourselves on the back for assembling a great core backcourt in wall/crawford/young instead of picking favorites and dreaming up trade scenarios?

Agreed. No reason we can't keep them both. I think the synergy between them is real good. The all need to get better, but there's no crying need to replace any of them.

+1 on both

With that seconded= +2
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#45 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:56 pm

nate33 wrote:hands11, I suggest you work on being more concise. Generally, your long posts are an 80% rehash of what has already been said, plus maybe 20% of new material. The new material is often valuable to the discussion, but it's just too much work trying to sort through the "filler" to get to it.

Try to trim things down a bit and you'll probably get more responses. I must admit that I often see one of your 10-paragraph screeds and my eyes kinda glaze over halfway through the first paragraph, so I just skip it altogether.

If you'll notice, only the creatively gifted and eloquent writers like doclinkin and Ed Wood are really capable of pulling off the 10-paragraph diatribe. Everyone else sticks to 4 paragraphs or less. Consider CCJ. He's an ordinary writer like you and I, so he knows he can't get away with a page-long screed. When he has a lot to say, he doesn't put it in one post. He breaks it up into multiple posts.

Woo hoo! Props from nate? ... And it only took eight or nine years for me to appreciate the value of brevity. :)

Hands, I hadn't noticed your posts being excessively long. I do recognize from my occasional really long-winded post that most folks don't seem to read them thoroughly, if they read them at all. Often, it is best for me to go three paragraphs or less, and to keep those concise.
Bye bye Beal.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#46 » by Dat2U » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:04 pm

Hands11, I think you've gotten better but honestly IMO you throw so much out there that some of it sticks and some of it doesn't. You've been right a number of times and you've said some absolutely laughable things. That doesn't mean your special. It just means you have internet access and you post on a message board.

Congratulations.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,301

Post#47 » by dobrojim » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:27 pm

If I were to suggest one thing, proofread! Or re-read after posting and
go back and fix stuff. It's one thing to post long screeds about whatever
the subj at hand is (no pun intended), it's another to be sloppy about it.
My fatigue level increases quickly when I have to make mental corrections
as I'm going along, not that I (or probably anyone else on the board) expect
college level english essay perfection. my 0.02 or less.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
RealGM

Post#48 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:44 pm

Dat2U wrote:Hands11, I think you've gotten better but honestly IMO you throw so much out there that some of it sticks and some of it doesn't. You've been right a number of times and you've said some absolutely laughable things. That doesn't mean your special. It just means you have internet access and you post on a message board.

Congratulations.

Yep. Most of us, myself included, resemble that remark.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#49 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:54 pm

dobrojim wrote:If I were to suggest one thing, proofread! Or re-read after posting and

My typos this past three months have been almost entirely related to my laptop crashing. I have been posting using my tiny IPod touch. When composing posts, the viewing screen is about 2" wide and 1 1/2" long, top to bottom. Worse than not being able to see what I type is that Safari's editor auto-corrects a lot of what I have typed. Often, the editor compounds my mistakes. But starting later today that ends!

I finally ponied up the money and bought a MacBook pro. :) I will proofread, jim!
Bye bye Beal.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#50 » by tontoz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:58 pm

dobrojim wrote:If I were to suggest one thing, proofread! Or re-read after posting and

Hands seems to have a mental block with the words lose/loose/loss. He somehow manages to consistently use the wrong one. He especially likes to use the word loose instead of lose.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#51 » by verbal8 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:08 pm

hands11 wrote:For me, I just read the posts and comment accordingly. I don't usually look at who made the post until after.

I think generally the shorter the post(to a point) the more likely it is to be responded to.

Here is one post you can use whenever you feel the need for a response:

EG is the best GM ever

I guarantee at least one response :)
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,301

Post#52 » by dobrojim » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:10 pm

CCJ, I have not noticed lack of proofing to be a significant issue with your posts;
at least that's not what comes to mind when I think about what I expect
to see when I read your posts.

tontoz hit the nail on the head. We all make typos etc. I've tried, probably
more times that I should have on the whole loose, loss, lose thing, to
pass along some understanding of the distinction btw these words.
I've realized that I stay less stressed if I stop worrying about it.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,604

Post#53 » by pancakes3 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:12 pm

nate33 wrote:If you'll notice, only the creatively gifted and eloquent writers like doclinkin and Ed Wood are really capable of pulling off the 10-paragraph diatribe.

and even then, it's only once in a blue moon and divinely inspired - e.g. you were working as a PI and you started chasing some perp across rooftops, or if you had just gotten home from a wizards game where you had encountered an 8year old wearing a Lebron jersey and you were regaling us about how sweet his tears tasted. i would say not even Doc or Ed could pull off a readable (much less entertaining) 1000-word post about what we should do regarding Jamal Crawford in the postseason. or bowleggedness. or why the heat would do so much better if they could get lebron to play off-ball.
Bullets -> Wizards
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#54 » by Ed Wood » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Hands, I read your posts and they generally make sense, way more than they used to. I rarely quote anybody because I assume every one of my posts is a candidate to be put in a capsule and fired into space and I don't want first contact to be confused because the aliens aren't sure who Giltwan Butler is and why I love him so much.

I don't know how I started this but I wasn't trying to constructively criticize anybody. To be clear, I will make fun of people who quote themselves, this is something I will do. Also stop reading my essay-posts, you're being enablers.
RealGM

Post#55 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:43 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
nate33 wrote:If you'll notice, only the creatively gifted and eloquent writers like doclinkin and Ed Wood are really capable of pulling off the 10-paragraph diatribe.

and even then, it's only once in a blue moon and divinely inspired - e.g. you were working as a PI and you started chasing some perp across rooftops, or if you had just gotten home from a wizards game where you had encountered an 8year old wearing a Lebron jersey and you were regaling us about how sweet his tears tasted. i would say not even Doc or Ed could pull off a readable (much less entertaining) 1000-word post about what we should do regarding Jamal Crawford in the postseason. or bowleggedness. or why the heat would do so much better if they could get lebron to play off-ball.

Doc, Ed and Hoopalotta are the most prolific, creative writers IMO. Nivek is also a great technical writer. Doc and Ed have a way with words that's just uncommonly unique.
Bye bye Beal.
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#56 » by DaRealHibachi » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:47 pm

So yeah... Jordan Crawford...

i keed i keed.. you aight Hands... ;)
:beer: Magnumt
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#57 » by GhostsOfGil » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:12 pm

ha u know its a slow season when we get 2 pages about one of our posters writing habits.

personally i like reading ur posts hands. lately, theres been so much negativity around here, ur one of the few optimists left. it kind of balances things out. im all for it bud
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#58 » by hands11 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:46 pm

Well in a season that has been challenging to say the least, this was an interesting distraction for a day where there wasn't a game.

I, like most probably, don't read long posts unless I am hungry for something to read and there isn't much new going on. I'm sure everyone has members who they tend to agree with more than others. I doubt there is any one member who everyone likes to read.

For me, I hope I add something useful once in a while. I try to keep a level approach. I lean toward big picture and I try to stay positive. And I don't mind playing with the clay some for those that enjoy thinking unconventionally sometimes.

I'm sure I am not the only one who feels the board can get a bit to clicky and even pompous at times.

15 minutes till game time. Try to enjoy the games while we have them to watch.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#59 » by hands11 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:58 pm

zaRdsAndZeRos wrote:ha u know its a slow season when we get 2 pages about one of our posters writing habits.

personally i like reading ur posts hands. lately, theres been so much negativity around here, ur one of the few optimists left. it kind of balances things out. im all for it bud

Thank you.
RolloTommasi
Bench Warmer
And1: 194

Post#60 » by RolloTommasi » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:23 am

Talented Ballhog

Return to Washington Wizards