ImageImageImageImageImage

Jordan Crawford

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Re: Jordan Crawford 

Post#401 » by dandridge 10 » Fri Oct 5, 2012 4:52 pm

I attended the Wizards open practice at GM last night for season ticket holders. Although I still think Crawford can develop into a decent player, last night was not very encouraging. He took a bunch of bad shots in the scrimmage, mostly missing. He did have one nice assist though. I'd be more encouraged if I saw a different Crawford during the scrimmage, but it sure felt and looked a lot like last year. Even worse, none of the coaches said anything to Crawford when he took bad shots. I'm still hoping.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#402 » by DCZards » Fri Oct 5, 2012 5:02 pm

Nivek wrote:
DCZards wrote:Crawford was one of the Wizards best offensive weapons last season.

No, Crawford was actually among the team's worst offensive weapons last season. The team would have been better off dramatically reducing his shot attempts and distributing those shots to...well...just about anyone else on the floor.

Last season, the Wiz had 16 players get at least 250 minutes. Crawford was #1 in possession usage, 13th in offensive rating, 11th in efg, and 12th in TS%. He was a big reason the Wiz offense was as bad as it was (25th last season).

Now, if you want to argue that Crawford is going to improve this season...cool. He might. Heck, I'm rooting for him to get better. I like his competitiveness and his effort. I'd LOVE for him to be a high-quality player in Washington for the next decade. But, he wasn't a good offensive weapon last season -- even for a team as offensively inept as the Wizards. He was bad, and his poor play on the offensive end hurt the team.

As I said, "for better or for worse"...you left that important part out of the quote you used. :D
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#403 » by Nivek » Fri Oct 5, 2012 5:12 pm

I left it out because it didn't really seem to have any meaning. Crawford was a bad offensive weapon for any team last season except maybe Charlotte. He likely would have been Charlotte's best option offensively.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,298

Post#404 » by dobrojim » Fri Oct 5, 2012 6:13 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:I attended the Wizards open practice at GM last night for season ticket holders. Although I still think Crawford can develop into a decent player, last night was not very encouraging. He took a bunch of bad shots in the scrimmage, mostly missing. He did have one nice assist though. I'd be more encouraged if I saw a different Crawford during the scrimmage, but it sure felt and looked a lot like last year. Even worse, none of the coaches said anything to Crawford when he took bad shots. I'm still hoping.

Again, totally agree. The thing that I'm finally getting through my thick skull about
Craw is that he's always off-balance, seemingly never taking a shot where he can go
straight up and shoot with good form. No wonder his shooting is so poor. He takes
an exceedingly high percentage of forced/bad shots.

The assist he had was a beauty. That he can do that is some minor cause for
optimism. All the clanged shots, not so much.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#405 » by hands11 » Fri Oct 5, 2012 11:15 pm

Crawfords issue is that he is a "feel" player, not a "mechanics" player.

I did saw in one of those video's were he did correct his shooting mechanics when shooting the corner 3. But that was practice. It wasn't in the flow of the game.

He is the opposite of a player like Beal.

What would help Crawford to establish that in a game would be to run him off some screens so he can catch and shoot and practice that form in a game. Not that he would become that kind of player in total but at least he can work on that part more. Other then that, he is more a make is up as you go along type. That is important also. What would be nice is if he could do both and know when to do each.

I kind of see that as Crawford's challenge. Add that to... he has been on a team that need he to shoot and he is young and you have the Crawford we have seem in the past. When he feel is there, he can lite it up. If not, he is a chucker.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#406 » by payitforward » Sat Oct 6, 2012 12:33 am

Nivek wrote:
DCZards wrote:Crawford was one of the Wizards best offensive weapons last season.

No, Crawford was actually among the team's worst offensive weapons last season. The team would have been better off dramatically reducing his shot attempts and distributing those shots to...well...just about anyone else on the floor.

Last season, the Wiz had 16 players get at least 250 minutes. Crawford was #1 in possession usage, 13th in offensive rating, 11th in efg, and 12th in TS%. He was a big reason the Wiz offense was as bad as it was (25th last season).

Now, if you want to argue that Crawford is going to improve this season...cool. He might. Heck, I'm rooting for him to get better. I like his competitiveness and his effort. I'd LOVE for him to be a high-quality player in Washington for the next decade. But, he wasn't a good offensive weapon last season -- even for a team as offensively inept as the Wizards. He was bad, and his poor play on the offensive end hurt the team.

+1

And this is so obvious, it just leaps out at you. Beyond me to understand how anyone could think he was good at anything, good in any way.

Of course, we all want him to get better this season -- why would we want him to stay as he was? But, you can't "argue that Crawford is going to improve this season...." You can hope he will, you can pray he will, you can hold your breath until he shows he will, or you can just assert that he will (we see a lot of that here). But I don't get how you can "argue" that he will.

Crawford has been a mad chucker whose main role on offense has been to get the ball back in the hands of the opposing team. Now, to contradict my previous point, he did improve some the last 22 games of the season. Maybe that "argues" he might (not will) improve. But the amount of improvement needed to result in someone of average nba 2-guard productivity would be enormous.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#407 » by truwizfan4evr » Mon Oct 8, 2012 10:56 pm

I was looking at Jordan Crawford shooting % from last season never knew how horrible he shot from the field.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
jangles86
Starter
And1: 937

Post#408 » by jangles86 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:53 pm

I believe we should persist with Jordan. He could make a really nice sixth man and be a scoring weapon off the bench. Not many teams have a guy that can score like he does on their bench.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#409 » by Nivek » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:15 pm

jangles86 wrote:I believe we should persist with Jordan. He could make a really nice sixth man and be a scoring weapon off the bench. Not many teams have a guy that can score like he does on their bench.

Every team has a guy who can score like Crawford does. What other teams don't have are guys are willing to miss as many shots as Crawford does.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#410 » by tontoz » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:16 pm

If Crawford's shot selection doesn't improve noticably this year then I think it is reasonable to assume that he just won't get it and it is time to let him go. I wouldn't make that call until the end of the year though.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
leswizards
Senior
And1: 201

Post#411 » by leswizards » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:42 am

It is preseason, and I have only seen one game, so all I have to go by are the box scores, but it seems to me that Jordan has looked awful as a starter this preseason, but has looked very good coming off the bench.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#412 » by payitforward » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:08 pm

leswizards wrote:It is preseason, and I have only seen one game, so all I have to go by are the box scores, but it seems to me that Jordan has looked awful as a starter this preseason, but has looked very good coming off the bench.

I think he's looked his best when he's heading back to the bench.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
hands11
Banned User

Post#413 » by hands11 » Tue Nov 6, 2012 4:59 am

Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#414 » by Knighthonor » Tue Nov 6, 2012 5:33 am

Lol at people underrating JC like they did all other Former Wizard players who were traded away to only become star talent on other teams....
hands11
Banned User

Post#415 » by hands11 » Tue Nov 6, 2012 6:10 am

Knighthonor wrote:Lol at people underrating JC like they did all other Former Wizard players who were traded away to only become star talent on other teams....

http://www.nba.com/wizards/video/2012/1 ... p4-2278919

Was there any doubt that he would say he would play next game. He is a tough dude. He played on one last year as well.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#416 » by montestewart » Tue Nov 6, 2012 7:08 am

Knighthonor wrote:Lol at people underrating JC like they did all other Former Wizard players who were traded away to only become star talent on other teams....

Who was a star after they were traded, and who underrated them? Come on, this is another straw man. And I thought knights had honor.
hands11
Banned User

Post#417 » by hands11 » Tue Nov 6, 2012 11:07 pm

jangles86 wrote:I believe we should persist with Jordan. He could make a really nice sixth man and be a scoring weapon off the bench. Not many teams have a guy that can score like he does on their bench.

If he improves his 3 ball, that's going to help a lot. Or, don't shoot that shot.. except from the corner.. where I think he was better.

With Wall and Crawford driving and dishing, Crawford should be able to chuck less and let better long ball shooter shoot it. They will also be able to feed Nene and Keveeen.

Crawford can still improve his weaknesses this year. But to do so, other players are going to need to step up. If not, Crawford has no problem filling the shooting void. But that what hurt his numbers. Catch 22
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,064

Post#418 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 7, 2012 1:34 am

montestewart wrote:

Who was a star after they were traded, and who underrated them? Come on, this is another straw man. And I thought knights had honor.

If you count the Wes Unseld period of Wizards history, then there are plenty of Wizards who went on to become stars after they were traded, but I'm struggling to think of anybody since Rip Hamilton and Ben Wallace.

Most of more recent trades/departures: Nick Young, Kirk Hinrich, Gilbert Arenas, Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood, Antawn Jamison, Etan Thomas, Jared Jeffries, Larry Hughes, etc., turned out just fine. The players typically performed worse after they left. The jury is still out on Javale McGee, but I'm pretty confident that McGee won't be worth that contract.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#419 » by montestewart » Wed Nov 7, 2012 2:09 am

nate33, I limited my recollection to Wizards. Rasheed for Strickland, though a tall and young for short and old trade, made sense in a roster balancing way, and I had no idea that Ben Wallace would have such a great career (though he was clearly the team's best rebounder and interior defender), but I didn't like any of those trades, and I don't recall them being very popular among fans. The point that we as Wizards fans chronically underrate good players like Crawford doesn't seem supported by facts but by a need for it to be true. Crawford has some good qualities and could get better if he improves his range and shot selection, but he seems to be rated pretty accurately based on his performance so far.
hands11
Banned User

Post#420 » by hands11 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:03 pm

We talked a lot about Crawford inefficiency over the time he has been here and this last offseason.

So how is he looking so far this year. He basic stats are looking better.

His 3 ball % is up and that is helping to pull up his FG%
He efficiency should look even better when he brings his FT% up to something more normal. He is at .600 when he is a career .808 so I expect he will return to something higher then where he is.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/i ... n-crawford

His SCEFF is up from 1.076 to 1.159
His SHEFF is up from .446 to .511
His AST/TO up from 1.35 to 2.0

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... fjo02.html
Per 36
Rebounding is up from 3.5 to 5.2
AST% is way up from 19.3 to 28.5
PTS are steady at 19
PER up from 14.5 to 17.4

TS% from .448 to .527

Most of us expected he would get more efficient but we debated over how much and where that would rank him. So how is he looking so far in a limited sample size ? From the numbers, he looks more efficient.

Return to Washington Wizards