ImageImageImageImageImage

Jordan Crawford

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Jordan Crawford 

Post#361 » by hands11 » Sun Mar 4, 2012 7:50 pm

I had to dig deep into page 7 to find a Crawford thread to dust off.

Over the last five games, Jordan is shootng 56% from the field, 47% from 3-pt. range, and averaging 24 pts. Not bad for a chucker. ( from CCJ I believe )

And his 10 game numbers are

29.5 mins .470% 3.0 rbs 3.4 assists 18.4 pts

He has now started the last two games.

Over the course of this season it has become more and more clear that Crawford should be their starting 2 guard because Wall needs someone out there to help run the offense. That means someone who can dribble, drive, dish and score. That is Crawford way more then it is Nick. Given the remaining starter.. Singleton, Booker and McGee, this team really needed another ball handler who could score and shoot from outside.

The kid is only a second year player so we should be so quick to judge him as a finished product. Is he a long term answer ? Maybe not. But I am looking forward to watching him start the rest of the year and seeing what he can establish.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#362 » by Higga » Sun Mar 4, 2012 8:15 pm

When he's on he's Kobe-like. Too bad when he's off he's Deshawn Stevenson. But he's young so we should hold on to him, hope he can continue to develop and mature. He might still be a good 6th man in this league.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
hands11
Banned User

Post#363 » by hands11 » Sun Mar 4, 2012 8:20 pm

Higga wrote:When he's on he's Kobe-like. Too bad when he's off he's Deshawn Stevenson. But he's young so we should hold on to him, hope he can continue to develop and mature. He might still be a good 6th man in this league.

Even Kobe shoots like crap sometimes. And sometimes it lasts several games.

Not saying he is Kobe, just saying.

I do like the idea of him starting with Wall a lot more then Nick who I want traded immediately.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#364 » by DCZards » Sun Mar 4, 2012 9:31 pm

hands11 wrote:I had to dig deep into page 7 to find a Crawford thread to dust off.

good job, hands. I went back about 5 pages and gave up when I couldnt find this thread. It certainly deserves a bump given JC's play the last couple of weeks.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#365 » by Illuminaire » Sun Mar 4, 2012 9:34 pm

A hot month series of games doesn't impress me.

Crawford needs to show better discipline in shot selection. He cannot - CANNOT - maintain the production of the last five games, and when he's shooting a more human percentage, his bad shots take us out of our offense and out of games.

He's a bench player at best unless he smartens up, even if he manages a 40% rate from deep.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#366 » by tontoz » Sun Mar 4, 2012 9:47 pm

Coming into the season I saw Crawford as having two major problems on offense. The first was obviously his horrible shot selection. The second was his inability to make jumpers. So far we haven't seen much if any improvement in the former but there are hopeful signs on the latter.

I am starting to wonder if playing with Wall might actually reduce some of his chucking simply because the ball will be in Wall's hands a lot and Crawford will be getting more catch and shoot looks.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
hands11
Banned User

Post#367 » by hands11 » Mon Mar 5, 2012 12:49 am

Illuminaire wrote:A hot month series of games doesn't impress me.

Crawford needs to show better discipline in shot selection. He cannot - CANNOT - maintain the production of the last five games, and when he's shooting a more human percentage, his bad shots take us out of our offense and out of games.

He's a bench player at best unless he smartens up, even if he manages a 40% rate from deep.

Actually 8 games. Did you see his 10 game numbers. I think they are about to go up because games 9 and 10 in the list sucked.

He will have off nights but I think he is locked in as the starting SG.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#368 » by willbcocks » Mon Mar 5, 2012 1:18 am

Scary thing: Crawford's shooting percentage is now better than young's.
Illuminaire
Veteran

Post#369 » by Illuminaire » Mon Mar 5, 2012 7:03 am

With the kind of shots Crawford takes, he would need to be the greatest shooter in the NBA to maintain efficiency while keeping his shot selection unchanged.

I'm not counting on that. I'm not counting him out as a contributing member of a decent team either, but I'm just not going to even pretend he's good and productive until he either a) establishes a season's worth of incredible shooting, b) changes the way he approaches offense to something other than "get ball, shoot ball", or c) does a muddled mix of the aforementioned two and becomes a decent if occasionally boneheaded SG.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#370 » by Nivek » Mon Mar 5, 2012 2:40 pm

Last 10 games, Crawford's ortg has been about 108, which is good. His ortg for the full season is 98, so he's been a lot better. His usage has been about the same -- 21.6 possessions used per 40 minutes for the season; 21.8 during the past 10 games.

The question, of course, is whether this is Crawford "getting it" and showing a change in form or whether it's just a hot streak. Later on I want to take a look at the shot distance stuff to see if there's been a change in his shot selection. He's had shorter streaks of impressive efficiency this season. In January, he had a 5-game run with an ortg of 113.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#371 » by tontoz » Mon Mar 5, 2012 3:14 pm

The bad shots early in the clock are what get on my last nerve. In the last 10 seconds of the clock it doesn't bother me so much but when i see him jack up a 3 off the dribble in transition... :nonono:
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#372 » by DCZards » Mon Mar 5, 2012 4:18 pm

Illuminaire wrote:I'm not counting on that. I'm not counting him out as a contributing member of a decent team either, but I'm just not going to even pretend he's good and productive until he either a) establishes a season's worth of incredible shooting, b) changes the way he approaches offense to something other than "get ball, shoot ball", or c) does a muddled mix of the aforementioned two and becomes a decent if occasionally boneheaded SG.

I'm betting that the answer is going to be c) a mix of incredible shooting and occasional chucking.

It's probably unrealistic to expect Crawford to shoot at his current clip of 55% for an entire season, but I do see him becoming a disciplined and selective shooter once he matures...and is surrounded by better shooting teammates.

However, I personally don't want to see Crawford or his shooting "tamed" to the point that he loses the edge that makes him such an explosive scorer at times. On some level, you have to "let Jordan be Jordan."
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#373 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 5, 2012 10:40 pm

Nivek wrote:Last 10 games, Crawford's ortg has been about 108, which is good. His ortg for the full season is 98, so he's been a lot better. His usage has been about the same -- 21.6 possessions used per 40 minutes for the season; 21.8 during the past 10 games.

The question, of course, is whether this is Crawford "getting it" and showing a change in form or whether it's just a hot streak. Later on I want to take a look at the shot distance stuff to see if there's been a change in his shot selection. He's had shorter streaks of impressive efficiency this season. In January, he had a 5-game run with an ortg of 113.

Here's a thought: Chuck Crawford is on a hot streak at the same time as John Wall. Both are in their second year. Both guys are having unprecedented NBA success. Just like they do out here on the North Shore, I think the Wizards need to ride the wave.

Seems to me there's no down side to this type of play from these guys. Let them keep teeing it up. Jordan Crawford thinking he's MJ could be taking pressure off Wall. Teams have to cover him now. Likewise, Wall is showing more facets to his game. He's changing levels, changing speeds, playing with great intensity. Wall's intensity and Crawford's are like a perfect storm for each other.

Like everyone else, I know Crawford can't stay on fire. However, I think he can stay in attack mode and so can John Wall. They are competing. With their success, they're growing more confident.

Let's just enjoy fool's gold/chucker Jordan Crawford. Who knows but that he can't settle in on being a solid rotation player?
Bye bye Beal.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#374 » by willbcocks » Tue Mar 6, 2012 12:20 am

I always thought Crawford would shoot a better percentage this year, namely because he shot a decent percentage in college and he doesn't have the game of a 20% three point shooter. My guess is that he'll have career averages of 40-42% from the field and 32-34% from 3. What's disappointing is how little he gets to the free throw line. Those percentages would be acceptable if he got to the line at a decent clip, and I would think his herky jerky game would help him draw fouls, but he's been as bad as Young.
hands11
Banned User

Post#375 » by hands11 » Tue Mar 6, 2012 2:04 pm

DCZards wrote:
Illuminaire wrote:I'm not counting on that. I'm not counting him out as a contributing member of a decent team either, but I'm just not going to even pretend he's good and productive until he either a) establishes a season's worth of incredible shooting, b) changes the way he approaches offense to something other than "get ball, shoot ball", or c) does a muddled mix of the aforementioned two and becomes a decent if occasionally boneheaded SG.

I'm betting that the answer is going to be c) a mix of incredible shooting and occasional chucking.

It's probably unrealistic to expect Crawford to shoot at his current clip of 55% for an entire season, but I do see him becoming a disciplined and selective shooter once he matures...and is surrounded by better shooting teammates.

However, I personally don't want to see Crawford or his shooting "tamed" to the point that he loses the edge that makes him such an explosive scorer at times. On some level, you have to "let Jordan be Jordan."

Agreed. Someone need to shoot on this team. Who else do you want it to be? Singleton was 1-7 And even on an off night last night he had 3 steals, 3 rebounds and 2 assists in 22 minutes. He was trying to contribute in other ways. It was sad to see him so off last night though after being on a roll. You could just see it wasn't there. I suspect he will be up and down because he doesn't have pure form. His shot seems to be based on feel then pure mechanics.
Illuminaire
Veteran

Post#376 » by Illuminaire » Tue Mar 6, 2012 5:45 pm

You know how else he could contribute? By running plays on offense instead of taking ridiculously terrible shots.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#377 » by tontoz » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:36 pm

Chuck's TS% is now 47.5% on the season. This month he is shooting 36% from the field. He has NBA talent but i think he is going to have to be humbled in a big way before he becomes a useful player.
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#378 » by 7-Day Dray » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:38 am

I'm not a fan of his game at all. He's a low IQ player that takes too many terrible shots out of the flow of the offense. And he's not an explosive athlete, so he needs to take a lot of dribbles to get where he wants to go. He has solid court vision, but he's not a good passer because he makes terrible decisions and tries too many risky passes.
crackhed
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#379 » by crackhed » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:18 am

he'll get better if he figures out his limitations and narrows his repertoire. he's trying to do too much out there. but the kid is talented, and he works hard.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the kind of man I am"
H. Simpson
Mizerooskie
Junior
And1: 36

Post#380 » by Mizerooskie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:26 am

I'm hoping some GM out there likes Crawford's potential as a combo guard and would be willing to give something useful for him this summer.

Another knucklehead that would be addition by subtraction at this point.

Every game I watch Crawford plays makes Beal inch a little higher on my draft board.

Return to Washington Wizards