ImageImageImageImageImage

Jordan Crawford

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,846

Re: Jordan Crawford 

Post#641 » by payitforward » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:29 pm

Happy to see Jordan Crawford playing well over a 100-minute stretch. If he keeps playing well, that will mean that he turns into a good player.

That hasn't happened yet, but who would wish for the opposite?

The problem isn't that we traded him; it's that we reduced his value to zero or below, then traded him for nothing. I.e. the problem, like pretty much all Wizards problems, points straight back to our fearless leader: Ernie Grunfeld.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#642 » by hands11 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:48 am

4-0 for Big Balls as the starting PG

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400488974

10 assists, 16 pts. 5 rebounds.. ZERO TURNOVERS.

Boston fans are loving him.. :lol:

Had at least 3 magic johnson passes. Expect to see a Crawford highlight reel on ESPN tonight.

Actually, Boston has an interesting roster is you watch them play.

Crawford and Bradely is looking really nice as a combination. Crawford doing what I expected as a starting PG.

Ran the show to get the feel for things. Then started to score with some nice drives. He never chucked it.

33 mins. 12 FGAs. Played totally under control.

Hasn't taken more then 13 shots in any game this year and that was in 31 minutes. And he plays a really nice two man game with Kelly O
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,497

Post#643 » by closg00 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:18 am

hands11 wrote:4-0 for Big Balls as the starting PG

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400488974

10 assists, 16 pts. 5 rebounds.. ZERO TURNOVERS.

Boston fans are loving him.. :lol:

Had at least 3 magic johnson passes. Expect to see a Crawford highlight reel on ESPN tonight.

Actually, Boston has an interesting roster is you watch them play.

Crawford and Bradely is looking really nice as a combination. Crawford doing what I expected as a starting PG.

Ran the show to get the feel for things. Then started to score with some nice drives. He never chucked it.

33 mins. 12 FGAs. Played totally under control.

Hasn't taken more then 13 shots in any game this year and that was in 31 minutes. And he plays a really nice two man game with Kelly O

Yeah, read the comments:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1283216

Then read this:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... ord-trade/

GM's around the league's eyes must light-up whenever a desperate Ernie Grunfeld comes a-calling.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,852

Post#644 » by TGW » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:29 am

Yea I have no problem with that move still. Crawford is an A+ jackass. 8 games ain't enough to make me change my mind on that.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
closg00
RealGM

Post#645 » by closg00 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:52 am

TGW wrote:Yea I have no problem with that move still. Crawford is an A+ jackass. 8 games ain't enough to make me change my mind on that.

Yeah, but Boston got a player who is helping them for nothing was my point...and as a guilty pleasure, I thought Crawford was at his "best" when he was running Point.
hands11
Banned User

Post#646 » by hands11 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:58 am

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 6854,d.cWc

I don't mind they traded him. I always expected it. I mind they didn't use him as the starting PG more while Wall was out and that when they didn't use him as a PG more when we needed help at PG. He should have been out there with Beal day one last year. Beals transition would have been a lot easier. The whole summer hunt for a PG was a big waste. We wasted the preseason game rotating between Price, Pargo and Mack when we could have used Crawford. Hell, if they didn't want him here, showcase him and get something for him.

Maybe one day he will be a reliable back up, but right now, he wants to still try to fight for a starting job someplace. Give the man his dreams. And at a min, he wants to be the guy who is the starting PG if the starter goes down. Which is what he should have been here.

That Celtics team was fun to watch tonight. Everything looked like it fit together nicely.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#647 » by Nivek » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:02 am

IF Boston's coaching staff has gotten through to Crawford that a shot isn't good simply because he feels like taking one, then it's likely going to mean very good things for Crawford and Boston. He showed zero inclination in Washington to curb his horrific shot selection, and it showed in his horrific efficiency numbers.

In Boston he's shot the ball less often. Last year, that didn't matter -- his shooting in Boston was just as bad as it was in Washington. So far this season, he's been significantly more accurate from 2pt and 3pt range. His other numbers look to be within the band of normal variation, except for maybe steals and blocks, both of which figure to come down.

I'd like to see him succeed -- always like his enthusiasm, even if I didn't like the way he played. I am dubious, though. Consider his offensive rating (points produced per 100 possessions) by season:

2010-11 -- 92
2011-12 -- 97
2012-13 -- 98
2013-14 -- 120

I'd need to do some digging to see if there's even been an improvement that oceanic. I doubt it -- not after three years of "about the same."
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
hands11
Banned User

Post#648 » by hands11 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:45 am

Nivek wrote:IF Boston's coaching staff has gotten through to Crawford that a shot isn't good simply because he feels like taking one, then it's likely going to mean very good things for Crawford and Boston. He showed zero inclination in Washington to curb his horrific shot selection, and it showed in his horrific efficiency numbers.

In Boston he's shot the ball less often. Last year, that didn't matter -- his shooting in Boston was just as bad as it was in Washington. So far this season, he's been significantly more accurate from 2pt and 3pt range. His other numbers look to be within the band of normal variation, except for maybe steals and blocks, both of which figure to come down.

I'd like to see him succeed -- always like his enthusiasm, even if I didn't like the way he played. I am dubious, though. Consider his offensive rating (points produced per 100 possessions) by season:

2010-11 -- 92
2011-12 -- 97
2012-13 -- 98
2013-14 -- 120

I'd need to do some digging to see if there's even been an improvement that oceanic. I doubt it -- not after three years of "about the same."

Well he is in a prime situation right now in Boston. They actually have a roster that fits pretty well together and Bradely is a pretty good SG when someone can get him open looks and he isn't playing out of position at PG. And Crawford has been given confidence that he is getting a good look at being the PG until Rondo returns so he seems to be playing very relaxed knowing the coach believes in him getting the job done. You would have had to see the game. He was methodical in what he was doing out there. Then once he warmed up, he made some beautiful passes. Then he got to driving. Back to back Magic Johnsonish passes. A big time drive.

He was like a machine.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#649 » by Knighthonor » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:45 am

hands11 wrote:
Knighthonor wrote:
hands11 wrote:http://www.sportsmedia101.com/bostonceltics/2013/11/09/jordan-crawford-finding-early-success-at-point-guard-for-the-boston-celtics/

Jordan Crawford Finding Early Success at Point Guard for the Boston Celtics
November 9th, 2013 at 1:25 PM

In the opening preseason game against the Toronto Raptors Crawford saw some time at the point guard position, and since then he has developed into the most trustworthy point guard on the team.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_ ... n-crawford

Boston is 3-0 with Crawford as the starting PG. Subbing in while their starter Rondo is out. Now why didn't we think of that. Oh, because we needed to start Pargo, or Price or Mustafa instead. :roll:

Celtics just beat Miami, in Miami, on a back to back after another road win in Orlando.

I hope Crawford gets it going as a PG. I always liked watching him play, specially when he got it rolling.

didnt you block me and call me a troll for saying just this that you are saying now? so you have a change of tone now? how about an apology? :cry: :cry:

What are you talking about ?

For saying just what ?

I have been talking about Crawford at PG since they acquired him and posted a ton about having him at PG with Wall out. And slammed Randy endlessly for playing anyone but Crawford there.

Nice post from the Boston board.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:12 pm
I am gonna have to give Crawfish his due for the last 3 games. Playing with a lot of poise and a lot of swag overall. And more importantly, playing SMART.

--

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... fjo02.html

TS% .614
3 ball getting better every year. This year on small sample its, .421
USG down
ORtg up 120
DRtg down 104

Small sample size, but good for him. Year over year over time he keeps getting more efficient/better.

Cost ? 2,162,418

originally I stated that JC was better guard than John Wall, and got bashed big time for that. But I was right. and that could clearly be seen during the time he was replacing injured Wall a few times that season.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,290

Post#650 » by dobrojim » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:03 pm

Wow. You think you were right in saying JC is a better guard than Wall.
Well OK then.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
hands11
Banned User

Post#651 » by hands11 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Knight, whatever you think you are right about, it has nothing to do with me so you have that much wrong. Actually, way wrong.

Your comment was to a post I just made and it made no sense. Hell, I'm the one that dubbed him Big Ball Crawford and kept posting the funny squirrel picture.

Some Big Ball Highlights. The Steez is back in town. Even got himself a nice haircut.

http://www.nba.com/video/games/celtics/ ... os-1h.nba/

http://www.nba.com/video/games/celtics/ ... play3.nba/

Definitely going to catch their next game which is against Charlotte. I expect the Steez to keep rolling. This Boston team is fun to watch. Then a bigger game against Portland. That will be a big test.
hands11
Banned User

Post#652 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 7, 2013 1:24 pm

Wizards totally blow this.

Well for those that called him a chucker,

he is now TS% .558 and eFG .502 with AST% 30.0 and ORtg of 112 on USG% 21.0

http://www.wickedlocal.com/acton/blogs/ ... ce-critics

BOSTON - When Celtics point guard Jordan Crawford is asked about his own ability he is emphatic in his confidence. Without hesitation, he says he always knew he could do what he’s been doing of late in Boston. He just needed to be given the chance.

It’s when he’s asked if he ever really thought he’d be given the chance he’s had this year under first-year coach Brad Stevens when Crawford takes time to pause, and offer some genuine introspection.

“There’s times when you think certain things are going to happen and they don’t go as planned,” he said. “So you have doubt a little bit about how you’re career is planned out, because that’s not what you dreamed about when you were little. It’s just thanks for the opportunity.”

Crawford has made the most of the opportunity this season since he’s become the starting point guard of the Boston Celtics. The team – which most figured was destined for the high lottery – is 9-8 with him as the starting floor general after an 0-4 start with him coming off the bench. On Friday, he scored 22 points with eight assists and four rebounds in a 106-98 victory against the Denver Nuggets at TD Garden.

His shot clock-beating 3-pointer with 35.9 seconds left in the game helped seal the victory that helped push the Celtics to a 1.5-game lead in the Atlantic Division.

“I had the ball in my hands,” he said. “I wanted to get a quality shot. I had a little mismatch so I took the shot. Thankfully, it went in.

It’s just a matter of me seeing what the defense gives me and I play off that.”

“It’s the NBA,” Crawford said. “You don’t know how things are going to shake out. You’ve got to take it for what it is. I’m lucky I got an opportunity. I’m taking advantage of it.

“I’m thankful. You don’t get many of these opportunities in the NBA. It’s very important. You want to capitalize on the opportunity.”

Crawford admitted following Friday’s victory that it’s an opportunity unlike any he’s had in his previous stops in the league. :roll:

“I don’t have to look over my shoulder,” he said. “That’s one thing. I think they believe in me here. I don’t have to worry about anybody saying this or saying that. That’s a little more comfortable.”

Jordan’s always been a playmaker,” Celtics forward Jared Sullinger said. “I remember watching Jordan in AAU. He’s always had that swag of a hard-knocks player. He’s been doing it for years. He just happens to have the ball in his hands now and he’s doing a very good job with it.

( Weren't we in desperate need of a PG to run the offense last year when Wall was out and spend the entire summer looking for one ? Couldn't we really use a PG off the bench that can handle the ball and score with the 2nd unit. I 2nd group leader. And he is doing this with Boston, a team that was supposed to be a bottom feeder. Oh, and Crawford would have only cost 100K more then Maynor. Excuse me while I go laugh my ass off. Way to go Randy.)
closg00
RealGM

Post#653 » by closg00 » Sat Dec 7, 2013 1:55 pm

"Way to go Randy" !??!? Is Ernie Grunfeld ever responsible for anything in your world hands? Did Randy trade Crawford?
hands11
Banned User

Post#654 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 7, 2013 2:05 pm

closg00 wrote:"Way to go Randy" !??!? Is Ernie Grunfeld ever responsible for anything in your world hands? Did Randy trade Crawford?

What the hell are you talking about ? I slam EG plenty for stupid moves and draft picks.

I was addressing playing Crawford at PG. Randy is the coach. Not EG.

I said all along EG was an idiot for trading him for nothing. I also said they were stupid for looking around all summer for a PG when Crawford was already there.

Stop with the BS.
hands11
Banned User

Post#655 » by hands11 » Sun Dec 8, 2013 8:06 pm

Just trounced NY in NY

31 mins 23 pts, 7 assists, 3 rebounds, 0 turnovers oh, and 6-12 from 3 land.

AS PG

Last 5 games Boston is on a 4-1 run

34 mins 7-14 FGs .500%, 2.8-6 from 3 .424%, 3.6 FTAs .833%, 4.6 rebounds, 7 assists, 1.4 turnovers 19.8 pts

Cost $2,162,418
Maynor $2,016,000

Boston coach made the change to Crawford at PG after just 4 games. Randy ? :roll:

He now has 18 games straight as start PG. Hopefully he can keep this up for about 25 before Rondo returns.

I'm happy for Crawford. Boston commentator was saying how before every game he goes and sits in the stands to look down on the court so he can appreciate how lucky he is to be playing in the NBA and never forget what a privileged it is. Something he echoed while here.

He now has enough games under his belt that some team will have an interest in playing him at PG moving forward. He just bought himself a much bigger window to prove himself. At least another two years. But most likely he will get to stick around in the NBA longer then that, as a PG
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#656 » by dangermouse » Sun Dec 8, 2013 8:43 pm

Wait, is this the same Jordan Crawford that often took deep contested 3's early in the shot clock when he was a Wizard?

No one remembers that?
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,827

Post#657 » by dckingsfan » Sun Dec 8, 2013 9:56 pm

dangermouse wrote:Wait, is this the same Jordan Crawford that often took deep contested 3's early in the shot clock when he was a Wizard?

No one remembers that?

He wasn't very good here and he clearly refused to listen or be coached when he was here. Kudos to Stevens to get through to him - he is definitely getting a lot out of that team. Probably driving Ainge nuts!
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,593

Post#658 » by pancakes3 » Sun Dec 8, 2013 10:49 pm

I don't think anyone was ever doubting Crawford's skills while he was here. He showed many flashes of the ability to play point guard effectively and when he had those 7+ assist games I thought he was a fantastic 3rd guard. The problem is that DC Crawford took 50% more shots a game than Boston Crawford. 9.1 attempts a game vs 13.6 while shooting WORSE from the field (44.7 efg% vs 49.4%).

This season he has 10 games where he's shot 50% or higher from the field. Last season he only had 20 games, only 12 of which were with the Wizards.

So let's not do that thing we do with ex-gf's who clean themselves up after we break up. Sure she looks hot now but try to remember the absolute lunacy of the situation as it actually happened. On second thought, with the Wiz Curse of players who leave and end up with rings, it's better to not bring up that analogy...
Bullets -> Wizards
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,811

Post#659 » by tontoz » Sun Dec 8, 2013 10:53 pm

Even the chucking Crawford we had here would be a welcome addition to this bench.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
hands11
Banned User

Post#660 » by hands11 » Sun Dec 8, 2013 11:04 pm

pancakes3 wrote:I don't think anyone was ever doubting Crawford's skills while he was here. He showed many flashes of the ability to play point guard effectively and when he had those 7+ assist games I thought he was a fantastic 3rd guard. The problem is that DC Crawford took 50% more shots a game than Boston Crawford. 9.1 attempts a game vs 13.6 while shooting WORSE from the field (44.7 efg% vs 49.4%).

This season he has 10 games where he's shot 50% or higher from the field. Last season he only had 20 games, only 12 of which were with the Wizards.

So let's not do that thing we do with ex-gf's who clean themselves up after we break up. Sure she looks hot now but try to remember the absolute lunacy of the situation as it actually happened. On second thought, with the Wiz Curse of players who leave and end up with rings, it's better to not bring up that analogy...

How about just reading the facts as they happened in this very thread.

He always got better year over year with this efficiency. And I long proposed he would be better as PG where he could get a feel for the game with the ball in his hand without needing to just be a scorer. Making him a microwave off the bench with a bunch of non scorers was kind of the worst thing you could do to him. Of course he was going to shoot.

His inefficiency was primarily from his 3 ball from the top of the key. He was efficient from other shots including the corner three.

And his number here and in Boston last year were almost identical in TS% and eFG

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... fjo02.html

So no, lets call it like it was. He was always a talented player who got better year over year who should have been a PG over Mack. Over Price. And Over Temple. And now over Maynor. They dumped a talented player and got jack for him. And any problems related to him here with the team I hardly blame him for. Randy was an idiot in how he yanked him around and played crappier players in front of him.

The big difference this year is he is just another year older and continuing to get better and he has finally been given a chance to run a team as a starting PG for a stretch so he could settle into it.

Return to Washington Wizards