Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Jan Vesely 

Post#1321 » by hands11 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:47 am

Ves is going to be fine.

You people jump the gun way to soon.

The Wizards are missing Nene, Kevin S, C Singleton and Trevor B. That is a lot of muscle they are missing.

Ves is a position, rotation defender who can move the ball via passing, keeps the ball in play with directional tips and who runs the floor. He is looking to add just the beginnings of a mid range game.

Once the team is healthy and Wall returns, Ves will fill a needed role as he learns and expands his game.

Patience.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,161

Post#1322 » by AFM » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:56 am

That jump shot....
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#1323 » by dangermouse » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:37 am

hands, that was a great post. +1.

but yeah, his jumper is terrible. most of the time. i still think its a confidence thing...
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1324 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:33 pm

hands11 wrote:Ves is going to be fine.

The Wizards are missing Nene, Kevin S, C Singleton and Trevor B. That is a lot of muscle they are missing.

Ves is a position, rotation defender who can move the ball via passing, keeps the ball in play with directional tips and who runs the floor. He is looking to add just the beginnings of a mid range game.

Once the team is healthy and Wall returns, Ves will fill a needed role as he learns and expands his game.

Patience.

I agree, hands. Good post.
Bye bye Beal.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1325 » by montestewart » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:15 pm

Last year, when he was on, his strengths were his length, agility, fair skills for a "big," court awareness, and these were usually maximized by opportune matchups off the bench. If the Wizards are relying on him right now for scoring and/or beef in a starting role, he's going to be exposed. Still, he tried to make up for it using his height, and he made at least one nifty pass. He doesn't look all that different from the end of last year (definitely more hesitant on offense). When some of the beefier bigs return and he can resume his role of tall hustle player, he'll probably look better, and when Wall returns and looks for him toward the rim, he'll probably get in a little better scoring groove too.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#1326 » by pancakes3 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:45 pm

People may jump the gun but I'm not sold on how "fine" Ves will be.
Bullets -> Wizards
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1327 » by montestewart » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:51 pm

pancakes3 wrote:People may jump the gun but I'm not sold on how "fine" Ves will be.

I don't ever expect him to live up to #6, but it's not his fault that he was chosen that high. As others have pointed out, if he was chosen later (say, somewhere between 16-30) he might seem like he was coming along OK, and without the pressure of living up to a high draft position. It's not like they have to sign him to a huge contract after four years. He might one day settle into a solid sub role as a change of pace big, especially if he ever figures out an offensive weapon. Any offensive weapon. At all.
RealGM

Post#1328 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:03 pm

montestewart wrote:Last year, when he was on, his strengths were his length, agility, fair skills for a "big," court awareness, and these were usually maximized by opportune matchups off the bench. If the Wizards are relying on him right now for scoring and/or beef in a starting role, he's going to be exposed. Still, he tried to make up for it using his height, and he made at least one nifty pass. He doesn't look all that different from the end of last year (definitely more hesitant on offense). When some of the beefier bigs return and he can resume his role of tall hustle player, he'll probably look better, and when Wall returns and looks for him toward the rim, he'll probably get in a little better scoring groove too.

EG did draft him too high. I think the Wizards are probably too blunt/obtuse/lacking in critical thinking skills to adequately appreciate Jan's intangibles. They are far more likely to see what he cannot do. Having Okafor bumped Jan down at PF. Having Chris Singleton playing PF has made Jan look worse, too. In a way, that wouldn't be the case if Ariza had not been acquired. Both Singleton and Cartier Martin would have played SF along with Webster.

I say Jan will be fine because he's a high motor, high basketball IQ, very tall player. However, the Wizards didn't help his career one bit this offseason. It would have made far more sense to stick with James Singleton and to acquire a C like Asik or Robin Lopez than to acquire a big who will play a lot of PF, too, Okafor. A big-salaried veteran is NOT what the Wizards needed to put in front of Vesely.

I predict Jan will go back to Europe about the time EG finally gets canned. Before then, I think Vesely's game will remain near what it is right now. Fine, but not worthy of a #6 pick.
Bye bye Beal.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,335

Post#1329 » by dobrojim » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:23 pm

I think your EG hate is affecting your logic

you seem to say, they over-valued him before they drafted him and will
soon undervalue him due to impatience. Do you really believe that?
It's not like he's that old.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#1330 » by DCZards » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:33 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
EG did draft him too high. I think the Wizards are probably too blunt/obtuse/lacking in critical thinking skills to adequately appreciate Jan's intangibles. They are far more likely to see what he cannot do. Having Okafor bumped Jan down at PF. Having Chris Singleton playing PF has made Jan look worse, too. In a way, that wouldn't be the case if Ariza had not been acquired. Both Singleton and Cartier Martin would have played SF along with Webster.

I say Jan will be fine because he's a high motor, high basketball IQ, very tall player. However, the Wizards didn't help his career one bit this offseason. It would have made far more sense to stick with James Singleton and to acquire a C like Asik or Robin Lopez than to acquire a big who will play a lot of PF, too, Okafor. A big-salaried veteran is NOT what the Wizards needed to put in front of Vesely.

I predict Jan will go back to Europe about the time EG finally gets canned. Before then, I think Vesely's game will remain near what it is right now. Fine, but not worthy of a #6 pick.

Jan's minutes/success will rise and fall on his own abilities....not the offseason moves made by the Zards. Sports are a meritocracy. If Ves plays well, he'll get PT.

EG saw an opportunity to improve the PF position and the Zards' poor rebounding by trading for Okafor. I don't have a problem with that. And if Chris Singleton outplays Ves at PF and gets more minutes as a result, so be it.

I'm a big fan of Jan's talent and potential. But EG's job is to win games...not worry about Ves's feelings or ego...or the fact that he was the 6th pick.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#1331 » by jivelikenice » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:27 pm

I like Jan's talent, but he has to not be so passive. He was effective when he started playing to his length and was more aggressive. Yesterday was a step back. Lets hope Randy can light a fire under him....
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#1332 » by closg00 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Patience.

I disagree, Jan should have basketball skills regardless of who he is playing with. If its the case that he will have more of an impact when playing next to starters only, then his value to the Wizards is very low.
RealGM

Post#1333 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:47 pm

dobrojim wrote:I think your EG hate is affecting your logic

you seem to say, they over-valued him before they drafted him and will
soon undervalue him due to impatience. Do you really believe that?
It's not like he's that old.

I am saying both things. They should never had drafted him over Faried and Leonard. Said so before the draft and know so now.

Just because Vesely is a brick mason, especially from the line, and he cannot play SF doesn't mean he's not a useful, even effective basketball player. I like watching him play because Jan is unselfish, Jan thinks the game well, Jan sets picks, Jan does the little things. For a first-year player he was far from a star but he was pretty good playing alongside Nene and (Seraphin). jim, I think Ernie was a dolt for bringing in Okafor. Between PF and C there are 96 minutes each game. Seraphin, Booker, and Nene will play. Why bring in Okafor? Because the person who did it was Ernie Grunfeld. Ted wanted to get a player and not buy out Rashard. They both spun the "solid veteran" yarn to justify the acquisition. They cited YOUTH as part of the Wizards problem. This squeezed minutes from Jan and also put pressure on him to be things he is not. They're critical of Jan now and he's pressing.

Yes, I'm saying both things, jim. Drafted Jan too high and now they're creating an environment that DECREASES his longterm chances for success. He gets less minutes and will get a quicker hook on each mistake. Wittman could be like Flip--he has to have a doghouse. Seemingly every NBA coach puts the young guys in the doghouse first. I think Vesely is a utility player who can actually contribute to a winning team.

Jan won't kill a team like a shooter who can't do anything else. Take Danilo Gallinari, for example. I think George Karl is going to lose playing that guy too many minutes. Jan can usually not be a negative.
Bye bye Beal.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#1334 » by Induveca » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:18 pm

I'll say it how it is....the guy's a bust thus far.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1335 » by payitforward » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:32 pm

Forgive me, but how do you know "Ves is going to be fine?" Answer: you don't. He played pretty well as the season went along last year, so there is some hope, and even some indications, that he can be better than he is. That's it.

Nonetheless, the second point is certainly correct (although, Hands, any time you jump the gun it's too soon -- that's what the phrase means! :) )

hands11 wrote:Ves is a position, rotation defender who can move the ball via passing, keeps the ball in play with directional tips and who runs the floor. He is looking to add just the beginnings of a mid range game.

Patience.

No, Ves is a young player w/ a background in Euro-ball who hasn't shown that he has an NBA game. He's that whether Wall is healthy or not; that's just who he is. Since a "Euro-ball" player doesn't "fill a needed role", the question is whether he develops an NBA game. We'll need to wait and watch to find that out -- in that sense, yup, patience is required.

Anyway, what option do we have aside from patience?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
TheBigThree
Starter
And1: 124

Post#1336 » by TheBigThree » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:43 am

You bring in Okafor because he's better than Vesely. That's why. If Vesely wants to play, get better at playing basketball. It's that simple. If anything, you'd think the competition would make him a better player.

I like Jan, I do. It's not his fault he was the 6th pick. If anything my major beef is with EG for passing on consensus better prospects, seemingly without much analysis, considering how long we heard about his infatuation with Vesely while the Kanter stuff was falling apart.

Either way, he needs to be a better player. I don't really care about a jump shot at all if he can find a way to work on his positioning and strength and actually manage to find some sort of touch around the basket. Maybe then developing a jump shot would be worthwhile.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1337 » by Dat2U » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:08 am

He's a bust as the 6th pick in the draft but he still might have a role in the league as a rotation worthy version of Jared Jeffries. I just don't ever see him ever developing a jump shot either. I dont think he has any idea of where the ball is going when he releases it. IMO he's just too unskilled to be a core piece.
RealGM

Post#1338 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:57 am

TheBigThree wrote:You bring in Okafor because he's better than Vesely. That's why. If Vesely wants to play, get better at playing basketball. It's that simple. If anything, you'd think the competition would make him a better player.

I like Jan, I do. It's not his fault he was the 6th pick. If anything my major beef is with EG for passing on consensus better prospects, seemingly without much analysis, considering how long we heard about his infatuation with Vesely while the Kanter stuff was falling apart.

Either way, he needs to be a better player. I don't really care about a jump shot at all if he can find a way to work on his positioning and strength and actually manage to find some sort of touch around the basket. Maybe then developing a jump shot would be worthwhile.

Emeka Okafor will make $13.9M this season. Leonsis may consider Ariza+Okafor cap neutral to Rashard Lewis-pre trade, but I don't. For the money he makes and minutes he's going to eat up, I don't think Okafor is worth it. He is 30 and Jan is 22. To say he's better does not take into account salary and experience.

A MUCH BETTER PLAY by Leonsis/EG would have been to buy out Lewis and to bid high on Omer Asik, who is cheaper and better defensively than Okafor. I would have no problem with another young player displacing Jan. What the Wizards are doing is playing veterans now.

The silver lining is if Okafor gets big minutes and puts up big numbers, he will become a hot trade item.

TheBigThree, my only concern in this thread about Vesely is none of this helps Vesely succeed.
Bye bye Beal.
fugop
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#1339 » by fugop » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:05 am

Okafor is not quite 4 years older than Asik.
RealGM

Post#1340 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:47 am

fugop, I would have gambled on Asik. Don't be put off by his age, 25. He is green in experience.

Asik is scheduled to make $8.375 M the next three seasons. Call it $25M. Per-36 minutes, Omer Asik averages 13 rebounds and 2.5 blocks, along with a 92 DRtg, one of the best in the league. He is 25 but he has only played 1960 minutes, just 145 minutes more than Seraphin. Asik is very foul prone but my guess is he will become a high-profile player and a regular starter who officials very soon respect, just like Kevin Seraphin. Asik is going to blow up IMO. His WS/48 is twice that of Seraphin.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... kom01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... oem01.html

Emeka Okafor is going to make $13.49M and $14.49M the next two seasons. Call that $28M. His rebound rate and block rate are lower than Asik's. So is his WS/48. I realize Okafor has battled starters, but so has Asik when Noah went down.

I think the Wizards would have been better keeping James Singleton, Brian Cook, Vesely in the same role from last season. The could have bought out Lewis. With the money saved they could have acquired Asik. There would have been no Ariza contract, either.

I think Vesely playing behind in the rotation limits his development, and I think the Wizards could have avoided what is going to go down IMO.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards