ImageImageImageImageImage

Jan Vesely

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: Jan Vesely 

Post#1461 » by Nivek » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:13 pm

sfam wrote:I agree the Wizards have done a horrible job on improving Vesely's game, but I'm thinking a bigger problem exists - this kid doesn't currently have the drive to be better. He clearly didn't do anything in the offseason to improve his game. Yeah, I'm sure he made it to the gym every day, but this isn't what was needed. If the Wizards are making it clear to their players that player development is just that - "their" development, Vesely should have taken it upon himself to hire a trainer and work on what was needed.

This is the core issue with all of the guys who failed to "develop" in Washington. And the core issue goes back to player SELECTION, even more than what the team actually does to help players develop. The problem comes from picking guys who could be good, "If only..."

The trouble is that "if only" guys (he'd be great if only he developed a jumper/ball handling/defense/got stronger, etc.) haven't put in the work already. The only way to develop a skill like shooting a jump shot is to go in the gym and practice. It doesn't hurt to have a coach, but I guarantee that when Ray Allen was learning to shoot, he didn't have Dave Hopla holding his hand. A coach showed him how, and he went in the gym and took tens of thousands of shots. He thought about how he held the ball, how he set his feet, how he got into his shooting motion, how he raised the ball, how he released it, how he followed through...

When Magic Johnson decided to improve his jump shot, he went in the gym and worked on it. Same when he added the hook. Same when he decided to improve his FT shooting.

The best way to see if a guy is likely to get better once he reaches the NBA -- to add skills once he reaches the NBA -- is to see if he's skilled already; to see if he's productive already. If a player is a great athlete but is unskilled and unproductive -- that's a red flag. He isn't as likely to make a big jump in basketball skills because he hasn't demonstrated the willingness to work on those skills already.

Now, maybe you pick a guy like that anyway now and then -- especially if in personal interviews and psychological tests you can find things that suggest you might be able to teach him how to work. That there's a willingness, just not the knowledge. But you can't build a team around "if only" guys.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#1462 » by closg00 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:29 pm

The Portland Trail Blazers will soon use the Idaho Stampede to allow several young players to receive playing time in the D-League.

Victor Claver, Joel Freeland, Will Barton and Nolan Smith care candidates to spend time in Idaho.

“We’re going to utilize the D-League when it’s appropriate, we want to use it when we’re not taking assets away from our team,” Neil Olshey said. “We’re looking to get the most bang for our buck.”

I don't believe that the Wizards have tried very hard to exhaust all avenues to ensure that Jan will not be a bust. In the end Jan will end-up being another botched asset under this management.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,302

Post#1463 » by dobrojim » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:40 pm

One troubling thing I've notice the last game or 2 is that Jan is not
assertively taking shots during the shootaround at halftime. Even if
he's brickin all his warmup shots I want to see him practice shooting
at every opportunity. Maybe he is behind closed doors. IDK.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#1464 » by hands11 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:47 pm

dobrojim wrote:One troubling thing I've notice the last game or 2 is that Jan is not

Scared to shoot in public is not going to get it done.

I'm still pulling for Ves. I think he will show improvement. But for right now, I like that Randy has benched him. To many other things to focus on right now anyway. Ves needs a fire lit under his rss. I expect Randy is gauging his progress by what he sees from him in practice. Has to pro it there first.
jblaze2004
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#1465 » by jblaze2004 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 pm

why not just send him to the D league???? he probably would be benched there too SMH. Another dumb draft pick.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1466 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 1, 2012 12:11 am

Because he was playing ever game when they were without Nene and he was even just starting recently. He only sat one game. Give Randy some time to work on his. You don't go from starting to missing on game to the DL all in one week.

Maybe they do send him down. But not right now. They need at least Booker back healthy before they do that.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#1467 » by WizarDynasty » Sat Dec 1, 2012 12:15 am

If Leonsis forces Vesely to severely improve his dribbling by focusing 5 hours a day heavily supervised, Vesely becomes the European Blake Griffin. Leonsis would have to inrease his awareness of player development so that he can put the proper people in place, since they don't exist yet in the wizard organization except maybe newman.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#1468 » by TGW » Sat Dec 1, 2012 12:17 am

WizarDynasty wrote:If Leonsis forces Vesely to severely improve his dribbling by focusing 5 hours a day heavily supervised, Vesely becomes the European Blake Griffin. Leonsis would have to inrease his awareness of player development so that he can put the proper people in place, since they don't exist yet in the wizard organization except maybe newman.

:lol: What the hell does Ted have to do with Vesely's ball-handling? What's next, Ed Tappscott showing John Wall proper form on his jumpshot?
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1469 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 1, 2012 12:25 am

TGW wrote:
WizarDynasty wrote:If Leonsis forces Vesely to severely improve his dribbling by focusing 5 hours a day heavily supervised, Vesely becomes the European Blake Griffin. Leonsis would have to inrease his awareness of player development so that he can put the proper people in place, since they don't exist yet in the wizard organization except maybe newman.

What the hell does Ted have to do with Vesely's ball-handling? What's next, Ed Tappscott showing John Wall proper form on his jumpshot?

Did he say Ted would be doing the supervising ?

Let WizD do his thing. At least he has some enthusiasm for the team.
Earth2Ted
Junior
And1: 58

Post#1470 » by Earth2Ted » Sat Dec 1, 2012 12:35 am

The most disappointing thing about Vesely is his work ethic- which was supposed to make all his other well documented shortcomings like his bad hands and bad shooting vanish by sheer force of will. Everyone, including David Aldridge, said, this guy works HARD. And he clearly hasn't.

I'm just wondering how everyone was so far off on this guy- did he bust his butt in Europe and only start dogging it in the NBA? Or has he always been like this and we just didn't do our homework?
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#1471 » by closg00 » Sat Dec 1, 2012 1:00 am

Earth2Ted wrote:The most disappointing thing about Vesely is his work ethic- which was supposed to make all his other well documented shortcomings like his bad hands and bad shooting vanish by sheer force of will. Everyone, including David Aldridge, said, this guy works HARD. And he clearly hasn't.

I'm just wondering how everyone was so far off on this guydid he bust his butt in Europe and only start dogging it in the NBA? Or has he always been like this and we just didn't do our homework?

Not the guys on this board.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,035

Post#1472 » by queridiculo » Sat Dec 1, 2012 1:54 am

dobrojim wrote:One troubling thing I've notice the last game or 2 is that Jan is not

Vesely's confidence is shot, not surprisingly so.

He went from getting a few minutes, to starting, to being burried on the bench.

The main problem I see is with the way the roster is constructed, and many posters here saw it coming.

There really isn't a role Vesely on this squad. We've got a glut of forwards, and since the team is struggling so much for offense, it's tough to bring him of the bench as the high energy defensive guy.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#1473 » by montestewart » Sat Dec 1, 2012 2:48 am

closg00 wrote:
Earth2Ted wrote:The most disappointing thing about Vesely is his work ethic- which was supposed to make all his other well documented shortcomings like his bad hands and bad shooting vanish by sheer force of will. Everyone, including David Aldridge, said, this guy works HARD. And he clearly hasn't.

I'm just wondering how everyone was so far off on this guydid he bust his butt in Europe and only start dogging it in the NBA? Or has he always been like this and we just didn't do our homework?

Not the guys on this board.

I remember skepticism among media people too, mixed in with some who maintained resigned amusement since it wasn't their team and "EG gonna be EG," but it seemed many were pretty certain that whether Vesely was good or bad, EG was going to take him. Talk about broadcasting your moves. It's things like that, or the OkAr trade that so clogged the front court that picking Beal was much more a certainty, that continually make EG look like the rube at the poker table.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#1474 » by nate33 » Sat Dec 1, 2012 2:14 pm

queridiculo wrote:

Vesely's confidence is shot, not surprisingly so.

He went from getting a few minutes, to starting, to being burried on the bench.

Are you implying that he was mishandled and that it isn't Vesely's fault? If so, I gotta disagree. The Wizards gave Vesely much more of an opportunity than he deserved. The problem is Vesely, not the coaches. Seriously, how can a guy airball freethrows as often as he does? Is that the coach's fault?

And knowing that he sucks horribly on offense, how could he have not hit the weights in the offseason enough to develop the strength to hold his position in the paint. At least that way he could be somewhat useful as a role player.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#1475 » by mhd » Sat Dec 1, 2012 2:49 pm

Vessley for Jimmer? I think we'd have a throw a 2nd round pick to make that deal though.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#1476 » by GhostsOfGil » Sat Dec 1, 2012 3:28 pm

mhd wrote:Vessley for Jimmer? I think we'd have a throw a 2nd round pick to make that deal though.

prob more than that

Return to Washington Wizards