ImageImageImageImageImage

Jan Vesely

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Re: Jan Vesely 

Post#1441 » by tontoz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:24 pm

I got this from the comments on Ted's blog.

So far thru 11 games this season, 2011 6th overall pick Jan Vesely has 29 points…and 30 fouls. Yeah…

:lol:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1442 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:33 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:Vesely problem is his youth. His mind doesn't have the flexibilty to imagine how fun it is playing basketball when you can actually have full control of the basketball and not worry about fumbling the ball against defensive pressure.

The quicker he becomes an expert at dribbling, the quicker the wizards can benefit from Vesely's dominant physical attributes. the problem is, can you imagine Whitman making this statement to the press? NOpe because this is not whitman's thinking--- it's the same problem over and over again with this culture, the player never.......never........improve their dribbling skills because management doesn't believe forwards and powerforwards....let alone point guards needs t exhibit expert dribbling skills before they are allowed minutes on the court. It's a fundamental breakdown from the top.

If the top is clueless about the definition of elite dribbling skills for a forward, then you see no emphasis placed on the most important aspect to offensive basketball. Being an expert dribbler is more important than shooting the basketball but if your coaches have no clue on how to transform a player into an expert dribbler then your end result is the washington wizards.

Would surely help if JV could dribble. With a handle, dude would be dangerous.

Grunfeldian culture is clueless as to how transform a poor dribbler into an elite dribbler and they don't have standards in place as far as evaluating a player's dribbling ability and improvements. the result is that you don't see improvement from season to season. Mediocre because of lack of bbiq from top management. Young players can't envision what they could be if they had a particular skill improvement--- the biggest weakness in youth is that you have limited wisdom have the unknown. Having a wise upper management fill in the gaps unwise youth and prepare them for elite competition is the whole point of drafting prospects. If upper management is not an expert in this area, they shouldn't be in the field of drafting prospect who lack wisdom about what they could be.
A professional organization who has been existence for decades should be experts in their particular field. You would expert the washington wizards who have been in arena of professional basketball for nearly 60 years to be in 99th percentile as far as understanding he lifecycle of developing a raw athletic player into a refined professional basketball player. [/quote]

Maybe they would be better off drafting competent dribblers. I don't really believe you draft expecting a player to change radically. At the same time, however, WD I think there is definitely time for Vesely to improve his handle. He would be better off with a better organization.

I could be wrong, but Tiago Splitter this season looks a LOT better than he did his first season with the Spurs. It might be that organization is just a little bit better than the Wizards.

AGain the problem is grunfeldian culture. this culture drafts raw prospects with potential and then tells that potential, you figure out what you need to do become elite, and leave to chance a player's longterm value. this is wasting company assets.

+1

In the end, the fans lose with grunfeldian cuture because grunfeld gets paid, the young prospect who is told to develop himself still gets paid whether he improves or not, and the fans continue to suffer season after season.

What's the common denominator with all young prospects in grunfeldian era, none of them, not one single prospect has ever....significantly improved their off hand speed, and as an extension, their ability to control the basketball against defensive pressure ....and as an extension, significantly improve their ability to draw fouls leading to wins.

Improving handspeed has never been part of Grunfeldian culture and is the single most important skill for an offensive player to become an expert at if he is to be considered to be elite offensively. LEONSIS has to make improvement of this skill in young players a pillar in the new Leonsis ERA.

WD, when I read this I thought about Burgess Meredith playing the character Mickey, in "Rocky". He trains Rocky old school. Works on his balance, footwork, and his hand speed. I don't know that this can be done in modern culture or with NBA players. It seems to me that should occur before a player gets to this level, OR it should be truly a part of a developmental league.

Where I wholeheartedly agree with you, WD, is with your stance on the Wizards' culture and Grunfeld. Very much a "you figure it out" to the players.

I think Leonsis is a BAD OWNER as long as he aligns himself with Grunfeld. Ted has brought in guys like Newman and Sichting. I think he needs to remove some guys, especially Ernie.
Bye bye Beal.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#1443 » by Higga » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Ves can do some things well. If he were a 2nd round pick I'd be fine with him, or hell even a late 1st.

But he was taken SIXTH OVERALL. You don't draft a guy that high who is soooo lacking in NBA skills. A 6th pick needs to be an impact player. Vesley isn't even close, and really at best he won't be much more than an off the bench energy guy.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#1444 » by Illuminaire » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:41 pm

I argued this during the 2011 draft, as did most of the board. It was blindingly obvious that Vesely had no NBA-level basketball skills.

Once he was on the team I talked myself into his energy and defensive potential. And if we're honest, he did show some real flashes last season. It was reasonable to hope that he would have a strong offseason, work on his skills, develop his body, and come back as at least a productive bench player.

But he hasn't developed at all. That makes it hard to think he's going to have a future in this league, which is depressing... because most of us called it before we ever made the selection.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#1445 » by dobrojim » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:04 pm

His lack of development is a huge disappointment.

His shot is better but it's a long way from good enough to be an honest threat
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#1446 » by Nivek » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:11 pm

In my statistical rating system where 100 = average and 60 is replacement level, Vesely has compiled a rating of -16 this season. Astoundingly bad.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#1447 » by tontoz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:16 pm

So far this season Vesely has

29 points
29 rebounds
34 fouls

I don't think i have ever seen anything like that.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#1448 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:29 pm

tontoz wrote:So far this season Vesely has

29 points
29 rebounds
34 fouls

Don't forget the 23% FT%.
:nonono:
llcc25
Senior
And1: 1

Post#1449 » by llcc25 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:30 pm

tontoz wrote:So far this season Vesely has

29 points
29 rebounds
34 fouls

Take out the 34 fouls and that looks like a game Kevin Love type game. Dude is a week removed from returning from injury and basically hasn't missed a beat.
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#1450 » by sashae » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:33 pm

...and the AIRBALLED FTs. I can't play basketball worth a lick and I can at least hit the damn rim.
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#1451 » by Higga » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:41 pm

It's still amazing to me how we drafted a kid with a lottery pick who literally can't shoot a basketball. I mean, how is that even possible?? Nevermind all the other stuff he lacks.

God I hate Grunfeld.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#1452 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:59 pm

Higga wrote:Ves can do some things well. If he were a 2nd round pick I'd be fine with him, or hell even a late 1st.

But he was taken SIXTH OVERALL. You don't draft a guy that high who is soooo lacking in NBA skills. A 6th pick needs to be an impact player. Vesley isn't even close, and really at best he won't be much more than an off the bench energy guy.

Wizards should've drafted Marcus Morris that year. I wonder if the Rockets would take Vesely, Crawford, Ariza and maybe the first of the Wizards 2nd round pick in exchange for Marcus Morris, Donatas Motiejunas and their 2013 1st rd pick.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#1453 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:00 pm

tontoz wrote:I got this from the comments on Ted's blog.

So far thru 11 games this season, 2011 6th overall pick Jan Vesely has 29 points…and 30 fouls. Yeah…

:lol:

Is this from Leonsis himself? I hope it is.
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#1454 » by sfam » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:40 am

Nivek wrote:In my statistical rating system where 100 = average and 60 is replacement level, Vesely has compiled a rating of -16 this season. Astoundingly bad.

I agree the Wizards have done a horrible job on improving Vesely's game, but I'm thinking a bigger problem exists - this kid doesn't currently have the drive to be better. He clearly didn't do anything in the offseason to improve his game. Yeah, I'm sure he made it to the gym every day, but this isn't what was needed. If the Wizards are making it clear to their players that player development is just that - "their" development, Vesely should have taken it upon himself to hire a trainer and work on what was needed.

I disagree that he doesn't have the talent or BBIQ to make it in this league. But its looking like he doesn't have the game-time concentration or the drive to improve. Perhaps some extended bench time is just what Ves needs to kick him into reality.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,889

Post#1455 » by TGW » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:45 am

He should be sent down to the d-league. His skillset isn't developed enough to be meaningful contributor to an NBA team.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#1456 » by Knighthonor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:47 am

sfam wrote:
Nivek wrote:In my statistical rating system where 100 = average and 60 is replacement level, Vesely has compiled a rating of -16 this season. Astoundingly bad.

I agree the Wizards have done a horrible job on improving Vesely's game, but I'm thinking a bigger problem exists - this kid doesn't currently have the drive to be better. He clearly didn't do anything in the offseason to improve his game. Yeah, I'm sure he made it to the gym every day, but this isn't what was needed. If the Wizards are making it clear to their players that player development is just that - "their" development, Vesely should have taken it upon himself to hire a trainer and work on what was needed.

I disagree that he doesn't have the talent or BBIQ to make it in this league. But its looking like he doesn't have the game-time concentration or the drive to improve. Perhaps some extended bench time is just what Ves needs to kick him into reality.

Wake up Sfam, Jan is a bust.

yeah I dont like downing our hometown team players. they human, and have feelings to. Thats why I rather say it here on a forum, than to their faces. He a Bust. Time for the Wizards to move on. He can go to D league, but need to be replaced. he not worth the effort to put more into him for this team which desperately lacks talent.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#1457 » by Halcyon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:53 am

He should never step foot on the floor for the Wizards again.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#1458 » by pancakes3 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:24 am

Was anyone hoping for Ves to accidentally back into someone so he could add "minutes" to the list of things he has more fouls than box-score wise?
Bullets -> Wizards
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#1459 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:45 am

I have nothing against Vesely. He didn't ask to be picked that high. I think he even knows he should have gone undrafted. The real issue is, how does Ernie Grunfeld still have a job? The 2010-2011 season was awful as a Wiz fan. What do we have to show for it? Jan Vesely. Ted giving Ernie an extension just shows he is a heartless owner and doesn't give a **** about long-suffering fans.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,161

Post#1460 » by AFM » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:28 am

Can we trade him for a late 1st/early 2nd pick?

Return to Washington Wizards