Chris Singleton

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Re: Chris Singleton 

Post#261 » by Dat2U » Tue Sep 2, 2014 5:44 pm

keynote wrote:
closg00 wrote:Chris will probably get a vet-minimum 2nd chance deal somewhere.

Not if he keeps shooting, he won't. When he shoots, he hurts his team on offense.

The problem is: I don't know if he's athletic enough or a good enough defender/rebounder to be a complete non-entity on the other side of the ball.

Hurting the team's offensive might be an understatement. He's like that 7-0 foot stiff that's so offensively inept that you just have him stand on the perimeter and out of everybody's way, just hoping you can get by with playing 4 on 5.

Problem is he's a 6-8 SF.

A very good defender with all the physical tools to excel... but his defense doesn't come close to making up for a complete lack of NBA quality offensive skill.

I always question guys that haven't improved their skill level one iota since they stepped into the league. Makes me think his dedication to improving was either not there or poorly focused.

It certainly didn't help his career when Sam Cassell told him to quit shooting 3s and focus on developing a mid-range game :crazy:
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#262 » by verbal8 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 9:05 pm

Yeah abandoning the 3 point shot was foolish. If he could hit them in the high 30s, he could find a role as a 3&D forward. A team can get away with parking him on the perimeter and playing 4.5 vs 5 on offense.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#263 » by hands11 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 11:10 pm

Well, at least he found a team to give him a chance.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#264 » by payitforward » Wed Sep 3, 2014 5:55 pm

verbal8 wrote:Yeah abandoning the 3 point shot was foolish. If he could hit them in the high 30s, he could find a role as a 3&D forward. A team can get away with parking him on the perimeter and playing 4.5 vs 5 on offense.

Chris shot almost 35% on 3-pointers as a rookie, taking 3.5/40 minutes. And he shot almost 37% last year (in a small sample of minutes), taking 3/40 minutes. But, he was a miserable <20% his 2d year. And took way fewer as well -- 1.6/40m.

He was a decent 3point shooter in college as well. In fact, it's his 2-point FG% that has cost him the most in the NBA -- and that went down the most from college as well.

I'm glad he has a chance in Indiana, and I hope he makes the team. He'll never live up to where he was chosen in '11, but I think he may stick in the league. And, for sure, taking/making 3s at a reasonable clip will really help.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#265 » by Dat2U » Wed Sep 3, 2014 6:49 pm

payitforward wrote:
verbal8 wrote:Yeah abandoning the 3 point shot was foolish. If he could hit them in the high 30s, he could find a role as a 3&D forward. A team can get away with parking him on the perimeter and playing 4.5 vs 5 on offense.

Chris shot almost 35% on 3-pointers as a rookie, taking 3.5/40 minutes. And he shot almost 37% last year (in a small sample of minutes), taking 3/40 minutes. But, he was a miserable <20% his 2d year. And took way fewer as well -- 1.6/40m.

He was a decent 3point shooter in college as well. In fact, it's his 2-point FG% that has cost him the most in the NBA -- and that went down the most from college as well.

I'm glad he has a chance in Indiana, and I hope he makes the team. He'll never live up to where he was chosen in '11, but I think he may stick in the league. And, for sure, taking/making 3s at a reasonable clip will really help.

PJ. Tucker has carved out a nice niche as a pure 3&D guy and worked his way up to 38% this year. Tucker is a playable option because

1. He's disciplined offensively unlike Singleton
2. Knows his role (and knows his limitations - dribbling, anything other than layups/corner 3s)
3. Received good coaching (they saw his 3&D potential and tailored his game towards that, meanwhile Cassell was trying to get CS to be a 6-8 SF version of himself and develop a mid-range while ignoring 3s altogether)
4. Tucker worked very hard on improving his overall game.

Singleton has the raw talent but not the focus or direction (partly the Wizards fault). He's a potential defensive stud who can cause havoc with his length & athleticism on the wing... but offensively, he's a total disaster thus far. It will be interesting to see if he's able to find a role in Indiana ... they certainly need help on the wing.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#266 » by 8305 » Fri Sep 5, 2014 7:49 pm

I wonder if its a case where he just needs to buy into the player he is, a stud defender and a 5th option on offense. That guy who stands in the corner on offense stays out of the way but conpetent enough from certain spots on the floor that he can make a team that doesn't guard him pay. You would want a guy like this to focus on rebounding and bringing a lot of energy. I don't think many guys see themselves as this type player until they've bounced around enough that their individual expectations and those of their team allow them to assume that role.

Is he enough of an athlete to be an elite defender?
Can he defend both the pf and sf positions?
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#267 » by Nivek » Fri Sep 5, 2014 8:14 pm

For what it's worth (probably not a lot given the small sample size), Singleton doesn't rate very well in the defense part of my metric. Last season, he rated right around average (a whisker below average) in defensive impact.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#268 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 8, 2014 10:06 pm

Nivek wrote:For what it's worth (probably not a lot given the small sample size), Singleton doesn't rate very well in the defense part of my metric. Last season, he rated right around average (a whisker below average) in defensive impact.

How about his first year? 1400+ minutes.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#269 » by hands11 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:27 am

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pacers-w ... ur-players

The Indiana Pacers announced Saturday they have waived C.J. Fair, Arinze Onuaku, Chris Singleton and Adonis Thomas.

MIA waived Khem Birch. Maybe we can still get him down the road after Beal returns.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,912

Post#270 » by CobraCommander » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:54 am

The eye test tells you that while chris has talent - he can't play at the NBA level. Low basketball iq and not enought talent to overcome it. Good luck overseas chris! Seems to be a good person - just not good enough for the NBA - like me and most of humanity
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#271 » by Dark Faze » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:13 am

He pretty much put himself in this position. There's a ton of great defensive players who didn't have a lick of O but managed to stay in the league. Problem with Chris was that his usage rate was too high given how bad of a scorer he was. Should have kept passing the ball and playing hard D.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Post#272 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:15 am

My only thoughts about Chris Singleton are that the Wizards could have drafted Kenneth Faried instead. They went for Jan Vesely and Chris Singleton instead of Kawhi Leonard and Kenneth Faried. :(

Keeping it positive I am already fairly certain that Otto Porter is going to have a better career than Chris Singleton or Jan Vesely.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards