Our Projected Depth Chart

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Re: Our Projected Depth Chart 

Post#21 » by no D in Hibachi » Sun Jul 3, 2011 3:15 pm

nate33 wrote:
I figure our core 8-man rotation will involve Wall, Young and Crawford at guard, Lewis, Singleton and Booker at forward, and Mcgee and Blatche at center. (Blatche will start at PF but play a lot of minutes at center.

I don't see how the Wiz don't include Vesely in the rotation. Vesely's draft status will get him at least 20 minutes a game.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#22 » by verbal8 » Sun Jul 3, 2011 5:11 pm

The Wizards have 7 guys coming back who were rotation players:

Wall
Crawford
Nick Young(assuming he returns)
Lewis
Booker
Blatche
McGee

I think Singleton and Vesely are competing for one spot in the rotation. I think Blatche plays some Center and Lewis plays some PF to free up minutes at SF. If Singleton and Vesely both deserve time in the rotation, I think Lewis develops a "suspicious injury" to free up minutes.

I think Seraphin should get every opportunity to show more in garbage time, and earn a rotation spot over the course of the season.

I don't see Mack or any other roster additions figuring in to the rotation in a significant manner. One possible exception would be a pure shooter may be cheap enough to sign and help enough to earn a rotation spot.
theboomking
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#23 » by theboomking » Sun Jul 3, 2011 5:19 pm

We're definitely starting Wall, McGee, Blatche, and Young. At SF, I'm really hoping, and actually expecting, that we get to amnesty Rashard Lewis. We can then split those minutes between Singleton and Vesely.

FWIT, I definitely see Vesely getting minutes at both PF and SF. We have a lot of really flexible players now. If McGee can improve his defensive awareness, our team is extraordinarily long, incredibly athletic, and should be quite good defensively. Offensively, the shooting is still going to be ugly.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#24 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jul 3, 2011 6:19 pm

I like the potential of a Blatche, Vesely, Singleton, Young, Wall starting 5.

The offense and passing of Blatche with the length, shotblocking, energy, and D of Vesely and Singleton. The offense of Young, and the attacking style of Wall.

The 2nd unit with Mcgee's shotblocking, Booker's toughness, and Lewis' size and shooting ability. Crawford's attacking offense and Mack's spot up ability.

A general 9 man rotation would be Wall, Crawford, Young, Singleton, Lewis, Booker, Vesely, Blatche, McGee.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#25 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jul 4, 2011 4:28 am

nate33 wrote:One of Vesely, Singleton or Booker is going to be squeezed from the rotation. The only way to avoid this is if Blatche bulks up enough to take Seraphin's minutes at backup center. That would free up more forward minutes for Booker and Vesely while providing some offensive skills at center to make up for the lack of skills at forward.

I could see Saunders, much to Wizards fan's dismay, giving Blatche and McGee's minutes up and going to small ball (ie Singleton and Vesley playing the 4 and 5).
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#26 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 4, 2011 2:51 pm

Nonsense. Flip isn't EJ. He hasn't demonstrated any tendency to play crazy "small ball" lineups for any length of time.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#27 » by Severn Hoos » Mon Jul 4, 2011 3:00 pm

I'm thinking our Opening Night lineup will be:

PG:
SG:
SF:
PF:
C:

Of course, that could change between now and then. Hopefully.
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#28 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jul 4, 2011 3:21 pm

nate33 wrote:Nonsense. Flip isn't EJ. He hasn't demonstrated any tendency to play crazy "small ball" lineups for any length of time.

In the 2009 postseason, he did go to a lineup of Billups, Stuckey, Hamilton, Prince, and Wallace in crunch time. And Saunders has played Singleton at center in the 2010 season with the Wizards (not to mention pairing up Earl Boykins and Arenas at times). Small ball can work, as indicated by Celtics 20+ point comeback in the 2009 finals. It just doesn't work though if your small ball center is Antawn Jamison.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#29 » by montestewart » Mon Jul 4, 2011 4:12 pm

Severn Hoos wrote:I'm thinking our Opening Night lineup will be:

PG:
SG:
SF:
PF:
C:

Of course, that could change between now and then. Hopefully.

It's all a matter of who wants it most, but I like the possibilities for situational match ups there.

Fantasy leagues will move to a new level of unreality.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#30 » by closg00 » Mon Jul 4, 2011 4:31 pm

no D in Hibachi wrote:
nate33 wrote:
I figure our core 8-man rotation will involve Wall, Young and Crawford at guard, Lewis, Singleton and Booker at forward, and Mcgee and Blatche at center. (Blatche will start at PF but play a lot of minutes at center.

I don't see how the Wiz don't include Vesely in the rotation. Vesely's draft status will get him at least 20 minutes a game.

Hard to envision a non-shooting player like Ves getting 20 minutes a game with Singleton also on the team.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#31 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 4, 2011 4:32 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
nate33 wrote:Nonsense. Flip isn't EJ. He hasn't demonstrated any tendency to play crazy "small ball" lineups for any length of time.

In the 2009 postseason, he did go to a lineup of Billups, Stuckey, Hamilton, Prince, and Wallace in crunch time. And Saunders has played Singleton at center in the 2010 season with the Wizards (not to mention pairing up Earl Boykins and Arenas at times). Small ball can work, as indicated by Celtics 20+ point comeback in the 2009 finals. It just doesn't work though if your small ball center is Antawn Jamison.

Well, yes, there will be occasional matchups and game situations where Flip might go small. Im just saying that it won't happen often enough to have a meaningful effect on the minutes of Blatche and Mcgee, which appeared to be the point of your post.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#32 » by doclinkin » Tue Jul 5, 2011 9:57 am

You actually have to ratchet up the dork level by a notch and put it into a proper flow chart:

Dork ops field agent here. Walking through the game flows Flip tended to play McGee until his first foul then look for someone to replace him. That's the first sub. Late in the season this was Kevin Seraphin, often playing next to fellow 'Bruise Brother' Booker. Whenever McGee gets foul happy or makes a d1ckhead move Flip will yank him for whomever is next on the bench. This generally means the 6th man is whomever is McGee's back-up.

As an overall rule no more than 3 players left the bench in the 1st quarter, I'd bet Nick and Crawford will flipflop that 7th-8th man role next to whomever is the PF.

I suspect with a shortened season likely we'll see Flip under another 'developmental year' mandate, finding time for young players. However, Rashard Lewis is key to this team as the only other player after Nick who can hit a long J. I'd bet he plays as many minutes as he is healthy to play sliding between the 3 and 4. He gives John the option to drive and dish, allows Flip to drop in other non-shooting platoon players at the other forward spot.

Fortunately though we have redundancy at the other forward position, we also have versatility. Book, VSkilly, and 1ton all can sub at either forward position depending on team need. Whichever of these three shows the better ability to hit a midrange jumper and make the high-post screen/pass above the freethrow line is the guy that Flip is gonna run with. Coaches talk about toughness all they want but (other than the San Antonio disciples) the numbers show they are going to play the guy who can score a little. I suspect by year's end Flip is playing VSkilly in this role, dropping in Booker when he wants to send a message to opposing teams and 1ton when we need that HPTFZ one-man zone guy on defense more than elsewhere. Early on he'll run with Book though until Ves picks it up.

In the 2nd quarter Flip started John Wall and whichever two starters had the most rest (JaVale usually) with other players joining off the bench or sticking with which ever player has the match-up so far.

Code: Select all

LINEUP
    |      1ST QUARTER       |      2ND QUARTER       |
TIME|2 1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 |2 1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 |
PG  |JW----------------------|-------------JC---------|
SG  |NY----------------JC----|------------NY----------|
SF  |RL----------------------|------------JVes/TB------|
PF  |AB-------------TB/JVes--|-----------AB-----------|
C   |JM-----------KS----------|JvMcG----------KS-------|

Third quarter is much like the first, though he'd slide to match-ups that showed promise in the first half. 4th quarter has been catch-as-catch-can, with John Wall the only real constant, otherwise here Flip rode the hot hand or went with whatever match-ups looked like they worked, then switching to whomever proved most reliable in the clutch over the year. I won't try to figure the lines at this point except to guess at his finishers by year's end:

Code: Select all

LINEUP
    |      3RD QUARTER       |      4TH QUARTER       |
TIME|2 1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 |2 1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 |
PG  |JW----------------------|----------------JW------|
SG  |NY----------------------|---------------JC/NY-----|
SF  |RL----------------------|------------------RL----|
PF  |AB----------------------|-----------------JVes----|
C   |JM----------------------|------------------McG----|

McGee by default at center, having subbed liberally with KS to ensure we have McG with few fouls at this point, needing a true Big. The rest of the minutes are offense/defense and match-up tweaks.

Offense:
JW -- dribble drive threat, clear-out option
N1 -- spaces the floor, if he can figure out how to run a pattern Flip will play him as the Rip guard off curls
RL -- Wing gunner from the corner, 2nd post screener
JVes/Dray -- Midpost passer and pick/roll threat off the double screen
McG -- go get it guy, alley oop threat. He'd be far more useful if he would ever commit to solid picks. Maybe now at 265+ he won't flinch away from the little guards running by at testicle height. Punish them for trying it.

Defense:
Johnny -- Long armed and feisty he'll improve at this end. Best steal threat.
Nick -- Still the best one-on-one defender, too bad it's a team game...
1gleton-- On the hope he lives up to the billing. Vskilly doesn't look hopeless in this role either.
Book it. -- Nuff said.
I guess McGee? -- Unless that extra 20 lbs of muscle Hamady put on makes a world of difference, or something. Or Seraphin similarly figures out how not to foul, when and where to be appropriately beefy. McGee would be an intimidating presence, and can be a difference maker, if you could rely on him to make the smart read.
closg00
RealGM

Post#33 » by closg00 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:53 pm

Bump for the merge with the SF thread.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#34 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Aug 7, 2011 11:58 pm

Looking at this team, I gotta say I love the fast transformation that's been made to a young uptempo team!

This team is loaded with speed, lead by Wall pushing the ball... Crawford, Young, Mack, Jeffers, even our bigs and defensive players are all suited to a fast breaking pace with Singleton, Booker, Vesely, McGee, N'Diaye all these guys can get up and down. Teams are gonna have a hard time keeping up with us. Even if this team doesn't win alot this year, they should be fun to watch!
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
closg00
RealGM

Post#35 » by closg00 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:31 pm

My early crack at the rotation.

PG: Wall/Mack
SG: Young/Crawford
SF: Lewis/Jeffers/Singleton
PF: Blatche/Vesely/Booker
C: McGee/Seraphin/Hamady
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#36 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:06 pm

nate33 wrote:One of Vesely, Singleton or Booker is going to be squeezed from the rotation. The only way to avoid this is if Blatche bulks up enough to take Seraphin's minutes at backup center. That would free up more forward minutes for Booker and Vesely while providing some offensive skills at center to make up for the lack of skills at forward.

Flip Saunders will end up squeezing Javale McGee out of the lineup in favor of still huge minutes for Andray Blatche. Andray can play C well in certain matchups but not well at all in others.

I don't want to see it, personally.
Bye bye Beal.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#37 » by Dat2U » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:16 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

Flip Saunders will end up squeezing Javale McGee out of the lineup in favor of still huge minutes for Andray Blatche. Andray can play C well in certain matchups but not well at all in others.

I don't want to see it, personally.

Your in mid-season form already bro!
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,302

Post#38 » by dobrojim » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:47 pm

First trick is figuring out who makes the roster -

Nick we want back but not an any cost. Crawford and Mack provide flexibility as
both can play either G spot.

Lewis could be amnestied if that is part of the CBA. But I wonder if the extra rest
might have helped heal him up to the point where he could be better than simply
serviceable. It wasn't that long ago he put the dagger into LeTrav's Cavs to send
ORL to the Finals.

Other question marks include Evans, Jeffers and Owen. Wouldn't mind seeing
the first 2 but there's probably no place for Owen with the glut of SFs.

Seraphin figures to get more minutes and I personally hope he surprises
thereby forcing McGee to either play better or sit.

Vesely I don't look to be a factor for much of the season. His future is
longer term if/when he develops a game that includes more than just running,
jumping & dunking. But he'll at least be insurance in case of injury.

Singleton I also think may be limited to spot duty for a while. The rosy
scenario has him becoming the lockup guy to put on the opp's top wing player
unless it's a PG. It'd be nice to have a guy who could slow down players like
Melo, LeTrav, Granger, PP etal. That said he's a rookie so expecting him
to come in and D up the best offensive players in the world might be
unreasonable.

Assuming we re-sign Nick and keep Lewis our starters would just about
have to be the same as last year. Wall, N1, Lewis, Blatche and McGee
with the hope there being that AB/JM figure out something about playing
team defense and rebounding. Crawford first G, Evans/Booker first F,
and KS as backup C. Vesely, 1ton, Mack and Jeffers at the end of the bench.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Jay81
Starter
And1: 473

Post#39 » by Jay81 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:47 pm

Im really scared that Jon wall has improved enough to take us to the playoffs as an 8 seed. We need to lose as much as possible this season
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#40 » by no D in Hibachi » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:38 pm

I expect the roster to remain largely unchanged. Shard and N1 will both be back. EG will probably pick up an untalented waste of roster space vet guard and center. Something like Royal Ivey and Theo Ratliff.

Wall/Ivey/Mack
Young/Crawford
Lewis/Singleton
Blatche/Booker/Vesely
McGee/Ratliff/Seraphin/N'Diaye

Return to Washington Wizards