Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Our Projected Depth Chart 

Post#341 » by hands11 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:52 am

Wizards get encouraging updates on Nene, Kevin Seraphin

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... -seraphin/

The Wizards have targeted having Nene return from his left foot injury by the season opener and the 6-foot-10 Brazilian big man is moving closer to making that a possibility.

“He’s going to be able to maybe start getting some shots up and get on the floor a little bit in that manner,” Wittman said. “So, it was a positive report.”

Wittman said Kevin Seraphin has also made progress with the strained right calf he suffered on Saturday in the first quarter of the Wizards’ 99-95 win over Cleveland. He returned to Washington for a checkup after watching the loss to Brooklyn from his hotel room.

“He’s better,” he said. “He’s able to get up on and walk on it now. Whereas yesterday he wasn’t able to, so that’s a great sign. He’s still probably going to be a little bit of a ways away, but if he keeps making these strides, we’ll see.”

The Wizards are in no rush to bring back Seraphin, though the 6-foot-9 forward/center said he didn’t expect to be out very long. “No, heavens no, not with the calf. You want to make sure that gets healed,” Wittman said. “A big guy carries a lot more weight. We’ll have to be careful of that.”

Wall is still several weeks away from returning to the floor, but he has started to do more basketball-related activity. As the Wizards practiced at Air Canada Center on Tuesday, Wall worked out shirtless, doing dribble drills with assistant Ryan Saunders. He also shot free throws.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#342 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:22 pm

The Wizards have been really wise to let Nene rest. They need to give Seraphin all the time he needs, too. it's a long season and they have some frontcourt depth. The longer Wall is out the better so long as he's back fully healed before he puts any stress on his knee.

Wittman seems to be a very wise coach. When this roster is healthy they can compete most nights.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#343 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:27 pm

nate33 wrote:
hands11 wrote:Martin with back to back DNPs.

This is a little surprising. Maybe it's because they already know what Martin can do in this system and they'd rather focus on integrating Ariza and Webster.

I really believe both Martin and Mack are goners, eventually.
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#344 » by payitforward » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
nate33 wrote:

This is a little surprising. Maybe it's because they already know what Martin can do in this system and they'd rather focus on integrating Ariza and Webster.

Aren't we all (eventually)? :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,306

Post#345 » by nate33 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:52 pm

nate33 wrote:

We have 11 players that we know won't be cut:

Wall
Beal, Crawford
Ariza, Webster, Singleton
Booker, Vesely
Nene, Okafor, Seraphin

In addition to those 11, we can pretty sure that they'll retain two more PG's, since we've seen very little experimentation with Crawford at PG. So that means, two of the following players will be kept:

Price
Mack
Pargo

One will be Price. I think Mack will be the other. Pargo just hasn't done enough to warrant retaining him. I think the Wizards would rather keep Mack as a prospect with some upside down the road. After all, whichever one they keep is likely to be an end-of-bencher for most of the season.

That leaves one more roster spot, possibly two if they want to go with a 15-man roster. They will be picking out of these 5 players:

Martin
Cook
Barron
Randolph
whoever is left among the PG's above (Pargo or Mack).

I think it's a sure bet that Barron and Randolph are on the outside looking in. I also don't see the logic in retaining a 4th PG. So it boils down to Cook or Martin, or possibly both. Given the fragility of our front line and the fact that none of them (except perhaps Booker) has a reliable perimeter shot, there may be an argument to keep Cook. On the other hand, if Pargo is cut, the team is left with just two wings whom you can count on to hit a 3-pointer: Webster and Beal. If one goes down, we're going to have trouble stretching the floor. Martin may be a good insurance policy.

If it was me making the call, I'd keep Martin. He has always been a solid player for us and I just don't understand why he can't secure a roster spot. Hell, I think he's better than Jordan Crawford.

I'd probably go ahead and keep Cook as well. It'll use our 15th spot, but we'd be 3 or 4 players deep at every position so there isn't much possibility that we'd get such an run of injuries at any one position where we'd need to add a replacement.
RealGM

Post#346 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:01 pm

payitforward wrote:

Aren't we all (eventually)? :)

:D

Well played, pif. There is that one appointment we've all gotta keep.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#347 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:14 pm

nate33 wrote:We have 11 players that we know won't be cut:

Wall
Beal, Crawford
Ariza, Webster, Singleton
Booker, Vesely
Nene, Okafor, Seraphin

In addition to those 11, we can pretty sure that they'll retain two more PG's, since we've seen very little experimentation with Crawford at PG. So that means, two of the following players will be kept:

Price
Mack
Pargo

One will be Price. I think Mack will be the other. Pargo just hasn't done enough to warrant retaining him. I think the Wizards would rather keep Mack as a prospect with some upside down the road. After all, whichever one they keep is likely to be an end-of-bencher for most of the season.

nate, I agree with you that Mack is the one to keep. However, Price is a guy they obviously like and he is starting to show he can play a bit. Pargo is a scorer with a lot of experience. I think Mack is the one the Wizards are leaning towards cutting just based on the minutes in preseason.

That leaves one more roster spot, possibly two if they want to go with a 15-man roster. They will be picking out of these 5 players:

Martin
Cook
Barron
Randolph
whoever is left among the PG's above (Pargo or Mack).

I think it's a sure bet that Barron and Randolph are on the outside looking in. I also don't see the logic in retaining a 4th PG. So it boils down to Cook or Martin, or possibly both. Given the fragility of our front line and the fact that none of them (except perhaps Booker) has a reliable perimeter shot, there may be an argument to keep Cook. On the other hand, if Pargo is cut, the team is left with just two wings whom you can count on to hit a 3-pointer: Webster and Beal. If one goes down, we're going to have trouble stretching the floor. Martin may be a good insurance policy.

If it was me making the call, I'd keep Martin. He has always been a solid player for us and I just don't understand why he can't secure a roster spot. Hell, I think he's better than Jordan Crawford.

I'd probably go ahead and keep Cook as well. It'll use our 15th spot, but we'd be 3 or 4 players deep at every position so there isn't much possibility that we'd get such an run of injuries at any one position where we'd need to add a replacement.

nate, I agree on every single roster preference. I would keep the same guys, and for the same reasons. However, I believe Cook and Barron both will get cut. With Booker back, Okafor looking healthy, and Nene soon back neither Cook nor Barron will set foot on the court. I think the fact that Cook is a stretch four/five should give him some special consideration, but I doubt it will.

What I would do is trade Crawford for a pick and just play any of Ariza, Webster, Martin, or Mack at SG. I agree that Martin is a better basketball player than Crawford, nate. Cartier would be my catch-and-shoot SG. I suspect Shelvin Mack is a better SG than Crawford, too. He played the position at Butler and though woefully undersized Shelvin does little to hurt a team. I would keep him and ship Crawford.

It will be very interesting to see the roster cuts.
Bye bye Beal.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#348 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:35 pm

Based on what I've seen, which admittedly isn't a lot...

Beal has looked solid, and seems to be an obvious starter. Can't wait to see him in action when they have Nene AND Okafor out there setting picks for him. Him and Wall together could become a great backcourt.

Crawford is what he is... a Nick Young/Juan Dixon hit or miss off the bench scorer.

Ariza has looked terrible. Can see his length being an asset on the defensive end. But Webster to me has impressed, and looks like the starting SF to me. Plays hard and hustles, does a little of everything including defend, rebound, and can score inside and out.

All of the backup pgs have looked solid to me. Price is the quickest, Mack has been all-around solid, Pargo has the best outside shot. Mack could be the odd man out, even though he has arguably played the best of the 3.

Vesely has been a disapointment. On the other hand Singleton may have found a niche as our small ball stretch 4, and squeeze into Vesely's opps, with Nene presumably the starting 4 and Booker as chief backup. Although I suspect Nene will get minutes at center as well and open some pt at PF.

Once healthy this is what I'm seeing for the rotation...

Okafor/Seraphin
Nene/Booker
Webster/Ariza
Beal/Crawford
Wall/Price

Beyond this I'd expect Singleton some pt mainly at the 4 in more uptempo/offensive lineup, something like Nene, Singleton, Webster, Beal, Wall. Pargo and Martin would be essentially designated perimeter shooters at the end of the bench, Vesely as an end of bench hustle/big/depth.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#349 » by closg00 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:18 pm

Mike Prada's starting lineup, agree or disagree?
http://www.bulletsforever.com/2012/10/2 ... 2-rotation
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#350 » by payitforward » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:14 am

closg00 wrote:Mike Prada's starting lineup, agree or disagree?

Looks right to me.

Price has grabbed the job w/ recent performances. Beal, Booker and Okafor seem obvious to me. The only question I see is at the 3, where I think I might start Singleton just because we need to see whether he's a productive player or not. Only problem about Webster, IMO, is that we have him signed for one year only w/ no team option.

Btw, to show what a generous analyst he is, Prada does allow the Wizards a 16 player squad -- I am sure the team appreciates the gesture.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#351 » by nuposse04 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:06 pm

closg00 wrote:Mike Prada's starting lineup, agree or disagree?

That works while Wall and Nene are out I suppose, I'm actually a little taken back by Okafor's offensive performance, I was almost certain all he could do was dunk and finish strong at the rim. He's actually had some decent post moves in the few games I've been able to see, then again playing against Lopez also helps. I'd eventually like to see Okafor supplanted by Seraphin but I guess we'll have to see if Randy actually does play the best player. Whenever Nene comes back I'd like to see end-of-game lineups of:

Price
Beal
Webster
Booker
Nene

If Jordan Crawford really embraces the 6th man role the right way it might not be so bad early on with Wall sidelined.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,333

Post#352 » by dobrojim » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:31 pm

Okafor is hardly a prolific scorer but he is capable as evidenced by his
albeit modest career scoring average. He's no self check ie Ruffin.

agree with Nate/CCJ

I think Martin gets kept for the all right as well as wrong reasons (isn't his $$$ guaranteed?)
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#353 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:37 pm

Looking at the depth chart and health situation, the best thing about this season is that when good things happen, they will almost always be pleasant surprises. Cheers to pleasant surprises.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
TheBigThree
Starter
And1: 124

Post#354 » by TheBigThree » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:27 am

Hopefully it'll be (assuming Wall and Nene are both out for the opener):

Price/Mack/Pargo
Beal/JC/Martin
Webster/Ariza/Singleton
Booker/Vesely/Seraphin
Okafor/Seraphin

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be shocked to see both JC and Ariza start.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,306

Post#355 » by nate33 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:14 am

TheBigThree wrote:Hopefully it'll be (assuming Wall and Nene are both out for the opener):

Price/Mack/Pargo
Beal/JC/Martin
Webster/Ariza/Singleton
Booker/Vesely/Seraphin
Okafor/Seraphin

I don't see the need in retaining all 3 among Price, Mack and Pargo. When Wall gets back, that'll be 4 point guards. I'd prefer to see Pargo cut. That leaves 14 players and one free roster spot to be used later this year if necessary. Either that, or use that roster spot right now for Cook, given the poor health of our front line.
TheBigThree
Starter
And1: 124

Post#356 » by TheBigThree » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:24 am

nate33 wrote:
TheBigThree wrote:Hopefully it'll be (assuming Wall and Nene are both out for the opener):

Price/Mack/Pargo
Beal/JC/Martin
Webster/Ariza/Singleton
Booker/Vesely/Seraphin
Okafor/Seraphin

I don't see the need in retaining all 3 among Price, Mack and Pargo. When Wall gets back, that'll be 4 point guards. I'd prefer to see Pargo cut. That leaves 14 players and one free roster spot to be used later this year if necessary. Either that, or use that roster spot right now for Cook, given the poor health of our front line.

Yeah, I was debating that. You're probably right, considering the difference between the 3 guards isn't large. Three pretty similar players.

Wouldn't be surprised if Cook was kept around with Nene, Seraphin and Booker all good bets to miss some time eventually.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#357 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:59 pm

Yeah, funny after how much he got bashed after summer league, but I think Mack has looked pretty good this preseason, better than Pargo at least.

Vs the Heat Singleton looked real good playing the 4, while Vesely looked halfway decent backing up Oak at center. Singleton still behind Nene and Booker, but looks to of moved ahead of Vesely. That monster slam he had was impressive. A Booker/Singleton rotation backing up Nene looks solid. Vesely moving to center eventually down the road may be the best hope of him not becoming a complete bust.

Webster looks deserving of starting ahead of Ariza at SF.

After Heat my projected depth chart still looks pretty much the same as I posted before (and pretty much right on with Prada's). Probably go with Price backed by Mack at pg til Wall returns.

Oakafor, Seraphin
Nene, Booker, Singleton
Webster, Ariza
Beal, Crawford
Wall, Price
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#358 » by closg00 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:42 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Yeah, funny after how much he got basher after summer league, but I think Mack has looked pretty good this preseason, better than Pargo has at least.

Vs the Heat Singleton looked real good playing the 4, while Vesely looked halfway decent backing up Oak at center. Singleton still behind Nene and Booker, but looks to of moved ahead of Vesely. A Booker/Singleton rotation backing up Nene looks solid. Vesely moving to center eventually down the road may be the best hope of him not becoming a complete bust.

Oakafor, Seraphin
Nene, Booker/Singleton
Webster, Ariza
Beal, Crawford
Wall, Price

I wonder how politics of this decision will play itself out. Will coach Witt be able to have Ariza come off the bench after the horrific Okafor/Ariza trade or will he have to start him? Webster is better and Chris Singleton IS improving. We don't need Ariza AT ALL.
nuposse04
RealGM

Post#359 » by nuposse04 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:30 pm

Didn't randy say the best guy would play? Anybody with half a brain would see that Webster should be starting. I know you shouldn't look into preseason too much, but he's really been a nice surprise out there.

Price/Mack
Beal/JC
Webster/Singleton/Ariza
Booker/Singleton/Jan
Okafor/Seraphin/Jan

is how I think it should look opening day assuming Nene will miss the opener.
nuposse04
RealGM

Post#360 » by nuposse04 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:33 pm

closg00 wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Yeah, funny after how much he got basher after summer league, but I think Mack has looked pretty good this preseason, better than Pargo has at least.

Vs the Heat Singleton looked real good playing the 4, while Vesely looked halfway decent backing up Oak at center. Singleton still behind Nene and Booker, but looks to of moved ahead of Vesely. A Booker/Singleton rotation backing up Nene looks solid. Vesely moving to center eventually down the road may be the best hope of him not becoming a complete bust.

Oakafor, Seraphin
Nene, Booker/Singleton
Webster, Ariza
Beal, Crawford
Wall, Price

I wonder how politics of this decision will play itself out. Will coach Witt be able to have Ariza come off the bench after the horrific Okafor/Ariza trade or will he have to start him? Webster is better and Chris Singleton IS improving. We don't need Ariza AT ALL.

Randy's job is to put the best lineup out there to win games, he isn't there to make EG look competent. Randy stands a better chance of staying around and being a long term head coach if he can salvage the mess EG made for him. I think the players respect him for that at least. I think Ted will take notice too if we do make the playoffs with minimal assistance from Ariza and to some extent, Okafor (although he looks decent out there).

Return to Washington Wizards