ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Randy Wittman Thread - It's Playoff Randy Time LOL

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Re: Official Randy Wittman Appreciation Thread 

Post#121 » by Knighthonor » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:03 pm

how you think he will handle this larger new improved lineup?

who will get DNPed?
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#122 » by hands11 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:38 am

Finally, a news conference.

Mostly Randy but Ernie is there also.

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... ec17ed0000
hands11
Banned User

Post#123 » by hands11 » Wed Oct 2, 2013 4:25 am

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... or-10-1-13

DEFENSE...DEFENSE...DEFENSE

Randy may not be an established winning coach, but he is all about the defense. And I really appreciate that about him.

PS. So far I like Maynor. Smart young man. I like his confidence as well.

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... an-10-1-13
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#124 » by deneem4 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:20 am

If we get to a 5-15 start....fire him....hire George Karl.
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#125 » by verbal8 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:10 pm

deneem4 wrote:If we get to a 5-15 start....fire him....hire George Karl.

I think George Karl is a good coach, but the wrong coach for a hopefully up and coming team. Hopefully a 5-15 start would make Ted realize what the real problem is with the team.
hands11
Banned User

Re: Official Randy Wittman ??? Thread 

Post#126 » by hands11 » Sat Nov 2, 2013 8:34 pm

Wash, Rince, Repeat

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1155475&start=60

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:04 pm

It would take him losing the team and I don't really see that happening. They made a two year commitment to Randy. Beal has developed nicely so far. That was their big investment. No one saw the Wall injury coming and it happened so late in the summer that their wasn't a lot left out there to pick up. So far, Randy seems to developing Price pretty well. Once Wall returns, Price should do fine as the back up. As long as Randy is developing players and he doesn't lose the team, I don't see him going anywhere.

Problem right now is there is to much being put on players that are not ready to handle it. Kevin had two good games and then disappeared the last two games. Price is getting better at PG, but he is not ready to lead a team to close out a game. Beal started slow, now the last two games he has looked really good. Trevor A and Okafor had bad camps and started slow, not they seem to be finding themselves.

I see some things Randy could do better but he has had a lot to deal with because of the Wall injury. Thats not on him. Thats not on Ted or EG. That stuff just happens.

If they are 0-10 or 2-22, bringing in a new coach isn't going to help.

Where they are right now is that they are presented with a decision. Do you bring in a PG like Livingston? Or do you just ride it out until Wall returns and develop what you have. Do you move Crawford to PG to close the half and the 4th ?

What we don't know is Ted willingness to tank one more year. I don't think they were planning on doing that as they put this years team together. But at that time, they didn't know Wall would be out for a month. They did make it clear that their approach was to continue to develop their talent and if things develop well over the year, they should be competing for the 8th slot. If not, they would develop anyway. What they didn't say was that this was a playoff year and that they would do everything in their power to get there. i.e. trading young players.

Not sure what to make of this right now by reading the tea leaves. If they were hell bent on winning right now, they would have brought someone in to help at PG as soon as they came available. They added Pargo when that was all that was available. I know I and other have proposed Livingston as an option since the season started. And while I do think he would help run the team during the game, I'm not sure how much he helps to close out a game. Just don't know. The other tea leave would be reading what they do with Nene. If they wanted to win now, they would bring him back in the next few games. If not, they may be developing a middle tank approach which would be to play what they have and wait on Nene until Wall is ready.

The middle ground tank approach could be to just let the team play( short handed) and wait for Wall and Nene to return together while developing other players. Without Wall and Nene, there is room for others to step up. Not least of which is Beal. You commit to that approach and just deal with the loses. Then you finish the year strong and still get a decent pick. You still end up in the lottery and any trip to the lottery could be a lucky one. Even if you are in the bottom half of it.

I would guess that Ted is thinking along the lines of a middle tank. It's looking more and more to me like this is what they are doing. If that is true, Randy nor Ted is getting any axe over it. People get fired when they don't reach expectations.

I don't think anyone thought they would be winning early in the year and if they wanted help, they could go get it in Livingston or D West. - See more at: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1155475&start=60&p=33596614&view=show#p33596614
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#127 » by closg00 » Sat Nov 2, 2013 10:50 pm

So you name-changed from The Randy Wittman appreciation thread hands, why? :)
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#128 » by montestewart » Sun Nov 3, 2013 12:46 am

closg00 wrote:So you name-changed from The Randy Wittman appreciation thread hands, why? :)

The tenor of the times?

I'm not in the fire Wittman camp. I don't know that he's a good coach, but I'd need to see him with a well constructed roster to feel like I knew he was actually bad. I guess if there's any validity to the "at any cost, we have to start winning now, even just as an 8th seed swept in four games, or risk permanent psychological damage to the fragile ego of team culture" position, then firing Wittman if the season gets out of hand might be a temporary bandage for a battered team psyche, or some such rot.
hands11
Banned User

Post#129 » by hands11 » Sun Nov 3, 2013 2:14 am

closg00 wrote:So you name-changed from The Randy Wittman appreciation thread hands, why? :)

So people could post both good and bad. Bad is not appreciation.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#130 » by jivelikenice » Mon Nov 4, 2013 7:16 pm

I'm just not please with Randy right now. What's the offense? Wall create an open 3 for a shooter or it just ends up back in his hands with 5 on the shot clock? Why is Ariza still starting if he's not going to clean up his shot selection? It has to be corner threes and nothing else!!!! Where is Glen Rice? We have no backup shooting guard and we can't get him on the floor? Beal is pressing bigtime and we can find GR 10 minutes? And Booker can get 20+ minutes a night but Vesely can't? Ves was the better rebounder in the preseason and we've been sruggling protecting the rim. Why not give Ves a little run? I mean i know Booker is considered irreplaceable here, but come on.....

I like the attitude Randy has, but I when your players and coaches don't know "how to win" and have no track record for winning, a change may need to be made. I just hope Ted doesn't waste anyone's time with another interim from the current staff and goes outside the organization. George Karl is the best name IMO. He brings a resume, a system that should support Wall, and credibility.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Post#131 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Nov 4, 2013 8:51 pm

Randy got fined 20K for profane language in a press conference.

What Randy needs to do to save his job, IMO, is start Webster and Vesely with Wall, Beal, and Gortat. Trevor Ariza is playing very well but should be the replacement, because he helps more off the bench than Webster. Seraphin can sub for Vesely or Gortat. Rice Jr. should sub for Beal. Harrington should sub after the energy players have gotten on the court.

Vesely has the ability to defend pick and roll much better than Booker. Randy is blowing it because the Wizards are 29th of 30 defenses, and that's with starting Ariza. Trevor is going to score and get numbers this contract season. It would be better to keep Wall, Beal, and Webster on the court together, space the floor with them and improve the offense. Let Gortat and Vesely be big in the middle. They both block shots and they both run well. The defense would actually improve because of the added size on the court.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User

Post#132 » by hands11 » Mon Nov 4, 2013 9:08 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Randy got fined 20K for profane language in a press conference.

What Randy needs to do to save his job, IMO, is start Webster and Vesely with Wall, Beal, and Gortat. Trevor Ariza is playing very well but should be the replacement, because he helps more off the bench than Webster. Seraphin can sub for Vesely or Gortat. Rice Jr. should sub for Beal. Harrington should sub after the energy players have gotten on the court.

Vesely has the ability to defend pick and roll much better than Booker. Randy is blowing it because the Wizards are 29th of 30 defenses, and that's with starting Ariza. Trevor is going to score and get numbers this contract season. It would be better to keep Wall, Beal, and Webster on the court together, space the floor with them and improve the offense. Let Gortat and Vesely be big in the middle. They both block shots and they both run well. The defense would actually improve because of the added size on the court.

As I have been posting. Lots of line ups would work.

At least we saw two new ones last game.

Mayor, Wall, Webster, Trevor A, Kevin .... and
Wall, Beal, Webster, Trevor A, Gortat

Both of which worked better then what they had been doing.

In about 10-15 more games, Randy should have stumbled into more of the line ups that would work. But by then the season should be out of reach.

Maynor, Glen, Webster, Ves, Gortat might work. At least Maynor will try to lob it up to Ves. I think Glen would as well. If Glen can find his outside shot, that would go nice with his driving an defense. If not, substitute Wall for Glen.

Sorry Booker hurt his finger, but happy he might get replaced in the starting rotation. Actually, I wouldn't even have him inked as a primary back up. No reason to ink him in over Ves. Kevin gets inked in because he can score.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#133 » by Nivek » Mon Nov 4, 2013 9:11 pm

I tweeted that the league office should have been required to watch the Wizards play before assessing Wittman that fine. He should have been given an award for swearing only once.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
hands11
Banned User

Post#134 » by hands11 » Tue Nov 5, 2013 6:00 am

Sorry Randy. I was all in for giving you a chance but there is talent sitting on the sidelines. I had no problem at all bring him back when we did, but if you can upgrade, you upgrade. I think we have enough talent and chanced reputation to attract some better coaches now.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/11/4/50641 ... izards-nba
noworriesinmd
Junior
And1: 69

Post#135 » by noworriesinmd » Tue Nov 5, 2013 1:37 pm

I want people to think long and hard what type of coach we would get to replace Randy. I know that people are pointing to yahoo and sbnation articles about the great coaches that are available....but would they come?

I love this quote I read this morning:
With Ernie doing the grocery shopping how can anyone create a gourmet meal....

If we want George Karl here, there is no way he'd come with Ernie at the helm.
If we want a proven coach here, they'd wait because this org is dysfunctional. We have gone through many coaches (who are scape goats), without curing the viral infection.

Last year, I was impressed that Randy held the locker room together. How he kept everyone motivated through a very bad start. I'm not saying he is our future Phil Jackson, but I don't want him gone before Ernie. We are all focusing on the wrong problem. He has a lot of garbage on the roster. He is doing the best he can with fine wine and boons farm.

When thinking about taking a new job, you look at stability as well is potential.
There is a lot of potential on this roster, but little org stability.

Prediction:
If Whitman is fired, and Cassel or some no body is made coach Erie stays
If Whitman lasts to the end of the year w/o playoffs then Erie and Whitman are gone.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Post#136 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Nov 5, 2013 7:52 pm

Noworries, Randy impressed me a whole bunch, too, last season. If he is let go before Ernie it will be a travesty.

I hope they at least wait 15-20 games before making a coaching change. Sam Cassell doesn't inspire me.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#137 » by payitforward » Wed Nov 6, 2013 2:22 am

hands11 wrote:Sorry Randy. I was all in for giving you a chance but there is talent sitting on the sidelines. I had no problem at all bring him back when we did, but if you can upgrade, you upgrade. I think we have enough talent and chanced reputation to attract some better coaches now.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/11/4/50641 ... izards-nba

I think this is laughable, tbh. I mean I'm making no argument that Randy Wittman is an elite coach -- he's run of the mill -- but "talent sitting on the sidelines"???? Who do you mean? GRIII? -- he's a round 2 pick who played very little organized college-level ball. He may be a player some day, but surely you don't think he's the guy who would have made us something other than 0-3.

Or do you mean something like Webster isn't playing enough minutes? So far, he's 2.5 minutes per game less than last year.

If only Seraphin were playing more minutes? Vesely?

As to having an "enhanced reputation" (what you meant I think) -- why? Because we maxxed out a guy who so far hasn't exactly played to that level? Because Nene is sitting on the sidelines? Because Beal is very promising -- tho playing bad basketball so far this year --?

"If you can upgrade, you upgrade" -- you bet! Fire Ernie Grunfeld and bring in a young GM out of the SA/Houston/OKC talent stream. Then have the owner let the new guy do what he thinks best (within a budget of course). Eyeball Orlando for an example of how to do this.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#138 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Nov 6, 2013 3:14 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Noworries, Randy impressed me a whole bunch, too, last season. If he is let go before Ernie it will be a travesty.

I hope they at least wait 15-20 games before making a coaching change. Sam Cassell doesn't inspire me.

I'd expect it to be Newman over Cassell.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,324

Post#139 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 6, 2013 3:36 am

noworriesinmd wrote:I want people to think long and hard what type of coach we would get to replace Randy. I know that people are pointing to yahoo and sbnation articles about the great coaches that are available....but would they come?

I love this quote I read this morning:
With Ernie doing the grocery shopping how can anyone create a gourmet meal....

If we want George Karl here, there is no way he'd come with Ernie at the helm.
If we want a proven coach here, they'd wait because this org is dysfunctional. We have gone through many coaches (who are scape goats), without curing the viral infection.

Last year, I was impressed that Randy held the locker room together. How he kept everyone motivated through a very bad start. I'm not saying he is our future Phil Jackson, but I don't want him gone before Ernie. We are all focusing on the wrong problem. He has a lot of garbage on the roster. He is doing the best he can with fine wine and boons farm.

I agree with all of this. Wittman may not be a HOF caliber coach, but he isn't the problem either. I think he has done a pretty good job given the talent at his disposal.

I'm okay with firing Wittman as part of a plan to completely clean house, but I'll be upset if Wittman is fired and Grunfeld is retained. The real problem is clearly Grunfeld.
hands11
Banned User

Post#140 » by hands11 » Wed Nov 6, 2013 4:19 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Noworries, Randy impressed me a whole bunch, too, last season. If he is let go before Ernie it will be a travesty.

Not really. They can always let EG go after. I don't see one as exclusive to the other.

Looks like Nene might play next game. That might help. Well see.

Looking for Webster be more of a consistent presence out there. His last two games have been pretty good.

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... er-11-5-13

Webby looks strong. I want to see him be more of a force.

Return to Washington Wizards