ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Randy Wittman Thread - It's Playoff Randy Time LOL

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Official Randy Wittman Thread - 3 More Years. 

Post#461 » by hands11 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:05 am

McFilthy wrote:I would have loved for the Ted and co. to look more seriously at George Karl and maybe some others. Most of us knew they wouldn't. I'm not unhappy though, because unlike the GM, Wittman earned an extension. He has established the Wizards as a defensive team, the players bought in and he seemed to improve as a coach. The regular season was kind of meh for Randy. He overachieved against Chicago and seemed to coach really well. The Wiz came back to being that inconsistent team against Indiana.

The challenges for Randy include improving the offense. Those scoring droughts are killers. I think it was a Mike Prada article that talked about how Wittman's offense has a large component of "John Wall, be amazing." It would be great for Washington to develop a great offensive system where you can plug in players to fill a roll well. Obviously the Spurs are a more talented team, but it was incredible to see San Antonio do so well even in games where Tony Parker struggled.

Wittman needs to coach up our #3 pick last year. Even if we resign Ariza, Otto can't be stashed on a shelf for another year.

Manu, Boris, P Mills
MarcoPolo
Rookie
And1: 183

Post#462 » by MarcoPolo » Sun Jul 6, 2014 4:21 pm

Randy Wittman in Poland few days ago - Kraków Arena - Marcin Gortat camp
[right click to extend the photo]

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#463 » by dckingsfan » Mon Jul 7, 2014 1:21 am

Shouldn't we just give Wittman 5 years to match Gortat's contract?
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,700

Post#464 » by montestewart » Mon Jul 7, 2014 2:30 am

MarcoPolo wrote:Randy Wittman in Poland few days ago - Kraków Arena - Marcin Gortat camp
[right click to extend the photo]

I really like that polo shirt Wittman's wearing. I think man next to Witt (with thumb up) and the blond woman on the left (in colbolt blue attire) both agree with me. You look good, you coach good.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#465 » by closg00 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:53 pm

Now the challenge for Randy, finding the right rotation with Ariza gone and Paul Pierce really more of a stretch-4. Will Randy give Porter/Rice a shot this year?
hands11
Banned User

Post#466 » by hands11 » Wed Oct 1, 2014 2:32 am

Randy willing to evolve.

Changing things up. Trying new looks.

Sounds like they will start conventional with Hump and Blair in the post and slowly work Paul Paul into the S4 over time.

Nice comments about Wall.

- Some back to the basket
- goal is to get them where he doesn't need to say anything unless its a time out.

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... of-wizcamp
hands11
Banned User

Post#467 » by hands11 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 5:00 am

Drew Gooden on the New offense. 10/2/14

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... ii-10-2-14
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#468 » by fishercob » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:12 pm

closg00 wrote:Now the challenge for Randy, finding the right rotation with Ariza gone and Paul Pierce really more of a stretch-4. Will Randy give Porter/Rice a shot this year?

Witt has his work cut out for him. He has to creatively find ways to play Wall and Miller together; Miller is our 3rd best guard and needs more minutes than just when John is off the floor. Witt also has to find Pierce time at the 4, which may be impossible with Webster out (not to mention Rice).

I really am conflicted on Wittman. On the one hand, I find him to be a completely unimaginative tactician. His offense gets us lots of mediocre to bad shots. And he has a tendency to play the wrong guys; I'll go to my grave thinking that his burying of Booker in favor of Al Harrington cost us a legit shot at beating the Pacers.

And on the other hand, I am supremely respectful and appreciate of the culture that he has created. I like the way this team plays, how the act, etc. It's the polar opposite of the no-defense years of Eddie Jordan and the Romper Room lunacy that Flip oversaw.

Barring a disaster, Wittman's here. So I wish him the best.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
hands11
Banned User

Post#469 » by hands11 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:35 pm

fishercob wrote:
closg00 wrote:Now the challenge for Randy, finding the right rotation with Ariza gone and Paul Pierce really more of a stretch-4. Will Randy give Porter/Rice a shot this year?

Witt has his work cut out for him. He has to creatively find ways to play Wall and Miller together; Miller is our 3rd best guard and needs more minutes than just when John is off the floor. Witt also has to find Pierce time at the 4, which may be impossible with Webster out (not to mention Rice).

I really am conflicted on Wittman. On the one hand, I find him to be a completely unimaginative tactician. His offense gets us lots of mediocre to bad shots. And he has a tendency to play the wrong guys; I'll go to my grave thinking that his burying of Booker in favor of Al Harrington cost us a legit shot at beating the Pacers.

And on the other hand, I am supremely respectful and appreciate of the culture that he has created. I like the way this team plays, how the act, etc. It's the polar opposite of the no-defense years of Eddie Jordan and the Romper Room lunacy that Flip oversaw.

Barring a disaster, Wittman's here. So I wish him the best.

We won game 1
Game 2 we lost, AH didnt play. Booker played 7 mins.
Game 3, we lost, AH played 9 mins, booker played 4 min. We only score 63 pts. No Booker wasnt the problem
Game 4 we lost 95-92. AH played 23 mins 11 pts on 4-7, 6 rebounds, 2 steals. Nene was 5-14
Game 5 we blow them out 102-79. our bench did very little. Booker nor AH did much. Nor did MW, AM, DG

We were down 1-3. Not many team recover from that.

So how exactly was AH the problem ?
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#470 » by dlts20 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:40 am

Wittman on his long 2's again. I wonder if the new writer Castillo asked him about it since it seems like other reporters are scared to

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... story.html
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#471 » by nuposse04 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:33 pm

dlts20 wrote:Wittman on his long 2's again. I wonder if the new writer Castillo asked him about it since it seems like other reporters are scared to

Saw like the same thing on SLAM today

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/randy-wit ... analytics/

It infuriates me to no end. I'm not for abolishing the mid Range shot, it has its purposes (unless you ask that buffoon Morey) but to completely shun analytics is wrong on Randy. As the players get more intuitive and well versed in how to win, you would hope the coach would too. It is fine if they want to emulate the spurs model on how to build (initially) but you would think some of the more futile franchises, like us, would realize the value analytic play.

I fear the only way we will rid ourselves of Randy is if he actually commits a felony or something of the like.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#472 » by payitforward » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:44 pm

nuposse04 wrote:...I fear the only way we will rid ourselves of Randy is if he actually commits a felony or something of the like.

I see your point, and it's something of a problem -- even as a player, Randy wasn't that good at steals.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#473 » by nuposse04 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:49 pm

payitforward wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:...I fear the only way we will rid ourselves of Randy is if he actually commits a felony or something of the like.

I see your point, and it's something of a problem -- even as a player, Randy wasn't that good at steals.

I lol'd :lol:

I'm trying not to let my emotions get the best of me when it comes to Randy, I just think these two years before the coveted '16 FA class could be utilized to make Beal and Wall into much better players and that we will have to settle for 2nd round exits until Ted decides to fire him in order to entice Durant.

I'm hoping Wall and Beal are new age enough to realize even though their coach may be inept on the offensive side, they don't need to be either.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#474 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:04 pm

nuposse04 wrote:
dlts20 wrote:Wittman on his long 2's again. I wonder if the new writer Castillo asked him about it since it seems like other reporters are scared to

It infuriates me to no end. I'm not for abolishing the mid Range shot, it has its purposes (unless you ask that buffoon Morey) but to completely shun analytics is wrong on Randy. As the players get more intuitive and well versed in how to win, you would hope the coach would too. It is fine if they want to emulate the spurs model on how to build (initially) but you would think some of the more futile franchises, like us, would realize the value analytic play.

I fear the only way we will rid ourselves of Randy is if he actually commits a felony or something of the like.

C'mon, ease up on Morey. 3 dimensional chess and stuff. Besides, I'm too lazy to change my tagline.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ptptpt
Junior
And1: 53

Post#475 » by ptptpt » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:35 pm

nuposse04 wrote:

As much as I would love for Randy to look at analytics more, he could be a lot worse. He could be Byron Scott and not have his team heave 3s at all. lol.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#476 » by Nivek » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:06 pm

In Wittman's defense, there's a bit of Povovichian deflection in his quote. He is clearly dismissive of the analysis on 2pt jumpers, BUT he (and his coaching staff) does make use of the team's analytics. He relies on his own experience, of course, but he doesn't ignore them. From what I've heard, he can sometimes be persuaded to make changes based on statistical arguments.

This is akin to Popovich telling reporters he goes with his gut when choosing lineups and whatnot, which is pure BS. The Spurs are heavy users of "advanced" stats. I know a couple of their stat guys. They're good at what they do, and Popovich understands and implements.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
hands11
Banned User

Post#477 » by hands11 » Sat Nov 1, 2014 9:19 pm

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... er-11-1-14

Randy already getting OttoMatic time at the 2

Not enough games to rate much yet. He started Gooden game one with Nene and Blair out and Gooden lite it up.

The time out thing. I saw one called late against ORL but seem to recall some being called in time. This was a huge issue last year.

Otto is averaging 20 min a game after two games but last game he was in foul trouble so he only got 18 instead of the 24 minutes the previous game. 24-26 mins is about what I expect as his slot for now. If he is getting over that, he has earned it and his body and game are showing he can take the load. Being productive at the 2 could get him into the 30 mins load.
Santana Moss
Sophomore
And1: 80

Post#478 » by Santana Moss » Sun Nov 2, 2014 1:50 am

It's amazing the amount of long 2's we take. But it's weird, I kind of see a genius to Wittman's madness... Especially when he had Beal doing all those long 2's off the dribble. Wouldn't be surprised if Beal turns out to be the next Wade, and he credits it to the (inefficient) opportunities Wittman gave him.
hands11
Banned User

Post#479 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 6, 2014 1:00 pm

Just wanted to point out, not only are they winning but...

They are very effectively taking the other team out of key things they do best.

DEN was a high scoring team. They held them to 89 and we put up 119

LAL were a top offensive rebounding team. Hump got 20 boards. We held them to 9 offensive rebounds and we had 12

MIA was a top 3 point shooting team. They went 2-22. We were 10-19 and we hadn't even been a hot 3 shooting team this year.

They aren't just beating these teams. They are going right at their strengths and stopping them and not only stopping them, but we are doing the thing they are know for better then they are.

Its like them shutting down DJ in the CHI series. He was the one piece to shut down that CHI could not over come. So what if Taj scored. That didn't mater. CHI was all about DJ off the bench. Take him out and the team lost if edge.

Point is, that goes to coaching. Randy has this team on task about what to do to beat each of these teams to get them out of their comfort zone. And it all starts with defense and running the floor both ways. Offense and Defense.
McFilthy
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#480 » by McFilthy » Sat Dec 6, 2014 3:02 pm

I give Wittman credit. He has improved as a head coach since he with rotations and when to call time-outs.

He has lost his best defensive player two years in a row (Okafor & Ariza) and always has the Wizards as a strong defensive team; 5th best last time I checked.

The offense has improved to slightly above average, despite mid-range madness. Is it the improvement of Wall and Beal or should we credit Wittman & co? What do you all think it is?

http://www.oddsshark.com/nba/defensive-stats

http://www.oddsshark.com/nba/offensive-stats

Return to Washington Wizards