Official Randy Wittman Thread - It's Playoff Randy Time LOL

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Official Randy Wittman ??? Thread 

Post#141 » by hands11 » Wed Nov 6, 2013 5:30 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... ting-woes/

After tearing up the preseason by averaging 20.7 points on 51 percent shooting, Beal has found that defenses are geared toward stopping him and he hasn’t adjusted. Detroit took away his corner shots by trapping him on the catch and Philadelphia was also aggressive in an attempt to slow him down.

But the struggles of the 20-year-old guard are the least of the concerns for Wittman with his team starting the season 0-2. “I’m not worried about that. That’s where I think they’re worrying. This has nothing to do with our offense,” Wittman said. “We’re averaging 102 points. This team has struggled to score 100 points per game [in] years past. It has nothing to do with Bradley Beal shooting 4 for 18 or whoever it is. Bradley, had a tough game, had nothing to do with it. That’s not the reason we lost.”

Wittman blamed the Wizards’ struggles on an inconsistent defensive effort, predicated on how well the team shoots.

“If we struggle a little bit offensively, we play zero defense and your offense can’t run your defense. It has to be the other way around,” Wittman said. “Have a bad shooting night – miss six, seven, shots in a row as a team – we just let it suck every bit of energy out from us. That’s fixable. The good thing, we haven’t really changed anything. It’s not like we stuck in a new system defensively that it’s going to take time to adjust to what we’re doing.”

---

This is where I think Randy is being overly stubborn. I get what he is say but sometimes its not like that. Actually, he is pointing out how his team is exactly the opposite. So instead of fighting it, go with it. Help them offensively to get better looks, and the defense will improve. He just said they are like that.

Beal is getting trapped because they don't have the proper players and system out there to take the heat off of him and right now he isn't a good enough ball handler to get out of it himself which exactly why I have been making the suggestions and comments I have about how they can fix it and why Randy is pissing me off so much. They are struggling so much on offense and killing and swag they could get going.

There are ways to fix it give this roster. They aren't because as Randy points out, its not something he is worried about. They might be able to fix the D. That might lead to a few more fast breaks. But its not going to fix the half court offense. Which as he points out, when they are doing better offensively, they play better defense.

Sometimes coaches just get stuck in their line of thinking instead of adjusting. If fixing on thing ( the offense ) fixes the defense, then do it. Because fixing the defense isn't going to fix the offense unless is all a transition offense, which it won't be.
Hypnotizer
Rookie
And1: 265

Post#142 » by Hypnotizer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Wittman should be fired tomorrow. SAS are two levels higher, Wizards have back-to-back game and our bench and rotations are very bad. 2-6 here we go.

Randy says he wants to change bench rotations, probably with Vesely and Rice, but it's late move. There are better free coaches as Karl, Van Gundy, Hollins or why not try to hire someone totally new as Suns did with Hornacek and Nets with Kidd? For example I would like to see John Stockton or someone else who was good playmaker too.

But the real problem isn't coach - it's bench. We don't have deep one, it's even hard to say we have 2-3 good subs.
No playoffs means no Ariza and no Gortat for the next season.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#143 » by Knighthonor » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:03 pm

Lets judge him as coach after the Wizards finish their tanking.

Clearly tanking for top 3 pick in this draft. Getting a top three would set the wizards for the future when Lebron fades.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#144 » by jivelikenice » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:58 pm

Hypnotizer wrote:Wittman should be fired tomorrow. SAS are two levels higher, Wizards have back-to-back game and our bench and rotations are very bad. 2-6 here we go.

Randy says he wants to change bench rotations, probably with Vesely and Rice, but it's late move. There are better free coaches as Karl, Van Gundy, Hollins or why not try to hire someone totally new as Suns did with Hornacek and Nets with Kidd? For example I would like to see John Stockton or someone else who was good playmaker too.

But the real problem isn't coach - it's bench. We don't have deep one, it's even hard to say we have 2-3 good subs.
No playoffs means no Ariza and no Gortat for the next season.

Absolutely agree; you can't win with only one viable backup on the roster. And I'm not even putting Martell in that category right now. He looks lost playong on the second unit as a 2 guard at times. That being said, Wittman waits to long to tweak things. There's no reason for Glen Rice and Jan to have only 1 minute played this season considering how poor our backup 2 guard situation is and how poor our rebounding has been. None whatsoever.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#145 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sat Dec 7, 2013 3:36 am

I want to see what type of level Don Newman can get the guys to play on.

From the time Flip Saunders coached the Wizards, Wittman always stood out as very egocentric to me, even as an assistant coach from the bench. I think the Wizards need a stronger figure leading the group. Wittman's screaming and preaching seems to fall on deaf ears and the team does not play consistently. Not even sure the wins can be credited to him. The team has great players, but they need someone that can keep them on an upward swing. Don Newman looks the part, not egocentric at all, appears firm, plus he has championship experience having been a coach for the Spurs. Don't know what the results would be, but I want to seem some change. Time to put a man in charge and part ways with Wittman's jokester personality which players have probably gotten used to and appreciate off-court, but may not garner respect when it really matters.

The Wizards have done the equivalent of playing a game of Russian Roulette against some of the league's worst teams enough times already in this young season. That is, understanding the gravity of the game, the setback a loss would cause and the very real danger of losing these games, and then chancing it by playing some of their worst basketball.

After losses like this against the lowly Bucks, it really makes me question Wittman's real impact in games won.

Doesn't seem to have genuine control of the team...
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,325

Post#146 » by nate33 » Sat Dec 7, 2013 3:43 am

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:I want to see what type of level Don Newman can get the guys to play on.

From the time Flip Saunders coached the Wizards, Wittman always stood out as very egocentric to me, even as an assistant coach from the bench. I think the Wizards need a stronger figure leading the group. Wittman's screaming and preaching seems to fall on deaf ears and the team does not play consistently. Not even sure the wins can be credited to him. The team has great players, but they need someone that can keep them on an upward swing. Don Newman looks the part, not egocentric at all, appears firm, plus he has championship experience having been a coach for the Spurs. Don't know what the results would be, but I want to seem some change. Time to put a man in charge and part ways with Wittman's jokester personality which players have probably gotten used to and appreciate off-court, but may not garner respect when it really matters.

The Wizards have done the equivalent of playing a game of Russian Roulette against some of the league's worst teams enough times already in this young season. That is, understanding the gravity of the game, the setback a loss would cause and the very real danger of losing these games, and then chancing it by playing some of their worst basketball.

After losses like this against the lowly Bucks, it really makes me question Wittman's real impact in games won.

I just don't see Wittman as the problem. He may not be the greatest coach in the league, but I think he's done a competent job overall. Again, I say the real problem is Grunfeld. If Wittman is fired, Grunfeld should go too. It would be completely unacceptable to retain Grunfeld and let him hire yet another coach.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#147 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sat Dec 7, 2013 3:50 am

nate33 wrote:
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:I want to see what type of level Don Newman can get the guys to play on.

I just don't see Wittman as the problem. He may not be the greatest coach in the league, but I think he's done a competent job overall. Again, I say the real problem is Grunfeld. If Wittman is fired, Grunfeld should go too. It would be completely unacceptable to retain Grunfeld and let him hire yet another coach.

After his first season of taking over for Saunders, I wanted Wittman to go along with Grunfeld, but then I thought perhaps Wittman should be retained to finish the work he started in turning the team into a better defensive squad, but fast forward things and I'm back to where I first was.

Grunfeld has been long overdue to be let go, but Wittman should go as well. The team is mediocre under him despite all the experience and talent on the roster.

Perhaps it's time to turn the reins over to Don Newman, Tommy Sheppard, and Tony DiLeo.
Hypnotizer
Rookie

Post#148 » by Hypnotizer » Sat Dec 7, 2013 4:48 am

Without technical foul on Wittman we could win and with two we could see Don's work. Just one single TF on Wittman was the worst could happened.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#149 » by jivelikenice » Sat Dec 7, 2013 5:04 am

I really struggled understanding why Wittman stuck with Singleton for so long. Why not give Temple or GRJr a shot?
Hypnotizer
Rookie

Post#150 » by Hypnotizer » Sat Dec 7, 2013 5:11 am

jivelikenice wrote:I really struggled understanding why Wittman stuck with Singleton for so long. Why not give Temple or GRJr a shot?

Randy hates statistics, so he didn't know Chris was so pathetic tonight.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,359

Post#151 » by doclinkin » Sat Dec 7, 2013 2:21 pm

jivelikenice wrote:I really struggled understanding why Wittman stuck with Singleton for so long. Why not give Temple or GRJr a shot?

Wittman likes to test out players in 5 game stints. I suspect he's trying to let Chris work out any rust and see if he can give us anything.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#152 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 7, 2013 2:33 pm

Hypnotizer wrote:

Without technical foul on Wittman we could win and with two we could see Don's work. Just one single TF on Wittman was the worst could happened.

I think Brad Stevens is going to be around the league for a while.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0SRmfOrkJk
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#153 » by Dark Faze » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:01 pm

Does anyone else agree that Wittman should be gone if we lose tonight?

Despite injury the team is underachieving. We should have won our last two games and we've left wins on the table in others.

I know he's working with some awful rotation options, but we need to start holding guys accountable. We've lost multiple games due to Wittman not even being able to draw up plays that could even allow us to get a shot off. The continued use of net negative players like Singleton and Maynor...the list is long.

And I know it may seem like I'm reaching here, but Wittmans lack of reputation may be causing refs to swallowing whistles on 50/50 calls. Wall has gotten hammered the last couple of games and I just don't see that happening to higher echelon coaches.

Don't get me wrong, Ernie has to go as well, but taking three home losses in a row after "celebrating" our first look at .500 in some years is an embarrassment that shouldn't be accepted. We're finally getting some damn shine as a team with Wall on TNT and as a potential all-star and with Beal being often mentioned as well--I'll be sick to my damn stomach if Wall loses out on an all-star bid based completley on the teams record because of this FO's mismanagement.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#154 » by closg00 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:34 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Does anyone else agree that Wittman should be gone if we lose tonight?

Despite injury the team is underachieving. We should have won our last two games and we've left wins on the table in others.

I know he's working with some awful rotation options, but we need to start holding guys accountable. We've lost multiple games due to Wittman not even being able to draw up plays that could even allow us to get a shot off. The continued use of net negative players like Singleton and Maynor...the list is long.

And I know it may seem like I'm reaching here, but Wittmans lack of reputation may be causing refs to swallowing whistles on 50/50 calls. Wall has gotten hammered the last couple of games and I just don't see that happening to higher echelon coaches.

Don't get me wrong, Ernie has to go as well, but taking three home losses in a row after "celebrating" our first look at .500 in some years is an embarrassment that shouldn't be accepted. We're finally getting some damn shine as a team with Wall on TNT and as a potential all-star and with Beal being often mentioned as well--I'll be sick to my damn stomach if Wall loses out on an all-star bid based completley on the teams record because of this FO's mismanagement.

Look at this roster, it's not Randy's fault that JW is not a closer (yet). It's not Randy's fault that his back-up option at PG is Eric,he must be locked-up for two years early, Maynor.

Look at our shite bench, it would be a challenge for any coach to closeout with that group given the injuries.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,008

Post#155 » by dckingsfan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Noworries, Randy impressed me a whole bunch, too, last season. If he is let go before Ernie it will be a travesty.

Hit the nail on the head! Hopefully the conversation goes something like this:

EG: Well, it doesn't look like Randy is getting what we need out of this team...
Ted: Really?
EG: Yes, this is easily a .600 team as constructed, he is just not developing the young talent quick enough
Ted: hmmm
EG: And he doesn't have the vets playing as well as they should, I think it is time for a change.
Ted: Agreed, please remove your possessions from your desk, thank you for your service.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#156 » by Wizardspride » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:46 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post ... e-hot-seat

Which coaches are really on the hot seat?

The Wizards, while not quite living up to preseason expectations, have sufficiently rebounded from yet another slow start to the point that they're starting to look like what passes for a playoff team in the ugliest Leastern Conference in memory, which should get Wittman through the final year of his contract. Sources say, furthermore, that it's always been the preference of Wizards owner Ted Leonsis to complete the season without changing anything and then assess everything in the offseason with the deals of both Wittman and general manager Ernie Grunfeld expiring.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#157 » by GhostsOfGil » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Wizardspride wrote:http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/811/which-coaches-are-really-on-the-hot-seat

The Wizards, while not quite living up to preseason expectations, have sufficiently rebounded from yet another slow start to the point that they're starting to look like what passes for a playoff team in the ugliest Leastern Conference in memory, which should get Wittman through the final year of his contract. Sources say, furthermore, that it's always been the preference of Wizards owner Ted Leonsis to complete the season without changing anything and then assess everything in the offseason with the deals of both Wittman and general manager Ernie Grunfeld expiring.

:lol: The fact that Ted is still "assessing" Ernie is unbelievable.

(side note- I think Wittman is indeed a good coach and would consider resigning him. Don't agree with 99% of the flack he gets around here)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#158 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:09 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/811/which-coaches-are-really-on-the-hot-seat

(side note- I think Wittman is indeed a good coach and would consider resigning him. Don't agree with 99% of the flack he gets around here)

Heee. No GM has as much tenure with his current team as EG, but he doesn't have enough of a track record for Ted to make a decision. :o
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dorianwrite
Rookie
And1: 271

Post#159 » by dorianwrite » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:17 pm

Oh, for the love of...

What do you EXPECT Ted to say? "As far as we're concerned, Ernie is dead as a doornail come season's end. I haven't seen a duck this lame since Daffy." Of course he's going to use typical sports-corporate language like "we're assessing where the team might go from here."
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#160 » by Dat2U » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:29 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:

Yeah, he's perfectly acceptable... if being bad is your cup of tea.

147 wins 291 losses .336 winning percentage

He deserves a ton of flack, only reason he doesn't get more is because of the ineptitude of his boss.

Return to Washington Wizards