ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Randy Wittman Thread - It's Playoff Randy Time LOL

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

cwb3
Rookie
And1: 85

Re: Official Randy Wittman Thread - 3 More Years. 

Post#441 » by cwb3 » Fri May 30, 2014 2:38 pm

Credit to Randy Wittman for developing the teams defense. For so many years the Wizards could never be counted on to get a stop when needed. Some of those EJ coached teams were an embarrasment on defense. Recall all the times a big man would run up beyond the top of the key to double-team somebody? Two passes later the opposing team would have a nice clean look.

Just by the eye test, Randy's Wizards play so much tougher and smarter on defense.

His true nitch in the NBA is likely an assistant coach with focus on defense. But I will root for him to improve as a head coach. Player development, rotations, in game adjustments, when to sub in/out a player. . .these are the areas that often seem to cause head scratching.
montestewart wrote:Players really should wait until they're rookie coaches to become GMs.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#442 » by Rafael122 » Fri May 30, 2014 2:47 pm

Any truth to the rumor that it's a 2 yr deal w/a team option on the 3rd?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,348

Post#443 » by doclinkin » Fri May 30, 2014 11:57 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Any truth to the rumor that it's a 2 yr deal w/a team option on the 3rd?

True enough for the Washington Post. (Link)

Terms of the agreement have not been disclosed, but NBA.com is reporting that the deal will be worth more than $9 million over the next three years. A person who has been in contact with the Wizards said the third year will be a team option.

Which to me makes it an even better deal. Two years to see if he can advance and improve, if not then the team has a chance for a reset button at zero cost, or if for whatever reason they had to eat his salary between now and then (Ernie plays out his one year deal, Ted brings in a new GM who wants his own man on the bench) it would only cost one year to say 'Thank you for your service, but we're going in another direction".

I think PR does make a difference, not to fans but to players, agents, and the TNT crew, professionals league-wide. If you give a guy an ultimatum and he keeps his end of the bargain, you have to do the same. This is a low-cost extension to a guy who was given one year of a decent roster to work with. He did what was asked with the tools he was given, now he gets just a little bit of breathing room to see how far he can go with what he has helped to build. Not a visionary hire, true, but as of today I have no problem with it. :D
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#444 » by LyricalRico » Sat May 31, 2014 1:21 am

doclinkin wrote:I think PR does make a difference, not to fans but to players, agents, and the TNT crew, professionals league-wide. If you give a guy an ultimatum and he keeps his end of the bargain, you have to do the same. This is a low-cost extension to a guy who was given one year of a decent roster to work with. He did what was asked with the tools he was given, now he gets just a little bit of breathing room to see how far he can go with what he has helped to build. Not a visionary hire, true, but as of today I have no problem with it. :D

Yeah, after thinking about it, I have to agree with this. And the reported structure of the deal makes it very reasonable.

Welcome back Randy!

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,320

Post#445 » by nate33 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:45 am

Agree with doc.

That 3rd year being a team option is key. It basically means Wittman can be fired at any time with only minimal financial pain from Ted's standpoint. Wittman has been solid and probably deserved the new contract, but he doesn't deserve long term job security. He's not THAT good. He must continue to show results.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#446 » by closg00 » Sat May 31, 2014 2:51 am

nate33 wrote:Agree with doc.

That 3rd year being a team option is key. It basically means Wittman can be fired at any time with only minimal financial pain from Ted's standpoint. Wittman has been solid and probably deserved the new contract, but he doesn't deserve long term job security. He's not THAT good. He must continue to show results.

Good news indeed and it provides the team an easy fall-guy should the off-season fall-short of improving the team next season.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#447 » by hands11 » Sat May 31, 2014 10:31 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Any truth to the rumor that it's a 2 yr deal w/a team option on the 3rd?

Terms of the agreement have not been disclosed, but NBA.com is reporting that the deal will be worth more than $9 million over the next three years. A person who has been in contact with the Wizards said the third year will be a team option.

Which to me makes it an even better deal. Two years to see if he can advance and improve, if not then the team has a chance for a reset button at zero cost, or if for whatever reason they had to eat his salary between now and then (Ernie plays out his one year deal, Ted brings in a new GM who wants his own man on the bench) it would only cost one year to say 'Thank you for your service, but we're going in another direction".

I think PR does make a difference, not to fans but to players, agents, and the TNT crew, professionals league-wide. If you give a guy an ultimatum and he keeps his end of the bargain, you have to do the same. This is a low-cost extension to a guy who was given one year of a decent roster to work with. He did what was asked with the tools he was given, now he gets just a little bit of breathing room to see how far he can go with what he has helped to build. Not a visionary hire, true, but as of today I have no problem with it. :D

2 yrs with an option was a smart way to do it.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#448 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jun 3, 2014 6:13 pm

Coincidence that his contract is up the year Durant is a free agent?
hands11
Banned User

Post#449 » by hands11 » Thu Jun 5, 2014 4:28 am

jeffsays
Rookie
And1: 150

Post#450 » by jeffsays » Thu Jun 5, 2014 6:48 am

I hope that this extension gives Randy the faith he needed from management. I hope for the best for Randy.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#451 » by fishercob » Thu Jun 5, 2014 12:55 pm

Root for someone to give 7-Layer Dray a big contract this summer. The money Ted saves as a result ($2.5 - $3M) could go into the budget to offset any loss of terminating Wittman early, should it come to that.

This seems like a pretty low risk play for the Wiz.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#452 » by dobrojim » Thu Jun 5, 2014 5:39 pm

doclinkin wrote:

I am misreading this or was there an announcement that EG got a ONE year extension?
I was expecting to hear he got at least 3 years. But I don't remember seeing an announcement
or any other talk on the board.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#453 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jun 5, 2014 5:42 pm

dobrojim wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

I am misreading this or was there an announcement that EG got a ONE year extension?
I was expecting to hear he got at least 3 years. But I don't remember seeing an announcement

There was a Mike Wise tweet or article saying that Ernie has 1 year left on his deal.
hands11
Banned User

Post#454 » by hands11 » Thu Jun 5, 2014 10:50 pm

fishercob wrote:

Root for someone to give 7-Layer Dray a big contract this summer. The money Ted saves as a result ($2.5 - $3M) could go into the budget to offset any loss of terminating Wittman early, should it come to that.

This seems like a pretty low risk play for the Wiz.

Kind of hoping any savings here will go to their DL purchase coin jar.
hands11
Banned User

Post#455 » by hands11 » Thu Jun 5, 2014 10:54 pm

dobrojim wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

Seems he had a 2 year deal with a 3rd year option.

Not sure if they will even announce that they took it. Maybe. Maybe not.

If they want to announce something, its likely to be in a few weeks maybe. I would think resigning Randy kind of say they took his option.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#456 » by Induveca » Thu Jun 5, 2014 11:04 pm

hands11 wrote:
dobrojim wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

Seems he had a 2 year deal with a 3rd year option.

Not sure if they will even announce that they took it. Maybe. Maybe not.

If they want to announce something, its likely to be in a few weeks maybe. I would think resigning Randy kind of say they took his option.

Amazingly insightful post Hands. The maybe/maybe not made it all worth reading.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,348

Post#457 » by doclinkin » Fri Jun 6, 2014 3:01 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
dobrojim wrote:I am misreading this or was there an announcement that EG got a ONE year extension?

There was a Mike Wise tweet or article saying that Ernie has 1 year left on his deal.

I suspect his deal had a one year kicker for making the playoffs. I would not be surprised if there were multiple such clauses.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,896

Post#458 » by CobraCommander » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:28 pm

IMO - this is a bad move unless you believe Wittman is going to really develop into a top tier coach. As we are watching now in the playoffs - you can have great players with an ok coach and win but you can also compete with ok players and a GREAT coach. But what does ok players ( with tons of potential) with a subpar coach get you?? :banghead:
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#459 » by Hidden Eye » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:01 pm

Wittmans system works for this team. Wall and Beal has improved alot this season and should take a big step into the EC next season. I don't like some of the timeouts he takes and the 2nd unit. He overplays the vets too much. You can't have Miller/Webster/Gooden or Harrington on the floor same time. That's how you lose games. Wittman should also improve just like the players (younger ones if they still are on team) playoffs definitely change how you play ball in the regular season.
McFilthy
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#460 » by McFilthy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:45 am

I would have loved for the Ted and co. to look more seriously at George Karl and maybe some others. Most of us knew they wouldn't. I'm not unhappy though, because unlike the GM, Wittman earned an extension. He has established the Wizards as a defensive team, the players bought in and he seemed to improve as a coach. The regular season was kind of meh for Randy. He overachieved against Chicago and seemed to coach really well. The Wiz came back to being that inconsistent team against Indiana.

The challenges for Randy include improving the offense. Those scoring droughts are killers. I think it was a Mike Prada article that talked about how Wittman's offense has a large component of "John Wall, be amazing." It would be great for Washington to develop a great offensive system where you can plug in players to fill a roll well. Obviously the Spurs are a more talented team, but it was incredible to see San Antonio do so well even in games where Tony Parker struggled.

Wittman needs to coach up our #3 pick last year. Even if we resign Ariza, Otto can't be stashed on a shelf for another year.

Return to Washington Wizards