Official Randy Wittman Thread - It's Playoff Randy Time LOL

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Re: Official Randy Wittman Thread - Eat the Contract Ted 

Post#921 » by Kanyewest » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:38 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:The other thing is that Otto Porter had been inconsistent. Would he have become more consistent had he been spoon fed minutes remains to be seen. ... For now the strategy of having Porter earning his minutes seems to have paid off.

You're right that however we got here, Porter seems to be better for it. But I thought Porter played well whenever he got the chance to start or play big minutes with the starters, and I would have liked to have seen more of that rather than trying to force Webster back into the rotation or continuing to play Butler after he went ice cold.

Kanyewest wrote:The lack of minutes that Gortat was getting was the result of whatever mini-slump he was going through. I remember going to the game on his action figure night and he was held to only 2 points in 30 minutes.

Yeah, but there were also half a dozen times when Gortat had a double-double (or close to it) through three quarters and got zero 4th quarter minutes while the team gave up a lead and lost. Even just bringing him back midway through the 4th like last night would surely have made a difference. You cited the bad iso's in crunch time, well they were able to run screen/roll late in the game yesterday because Gortat was in the game.

Hey, I'm glad they're winning and I'm glad that Wittman seems tuned into the matchup. Except for Pierce not touching the ball late in regulation in Game 1, Randy has been pushing all the right buttons so far. I just wish he could do that on a random Tuesday in January against a scrub team so that we don't have losses to teams like Detroit and Philly keeping us out of a top-4 seed. That's what I'm saying.

Gortat seems to get benched because of his defensive rotations (Nene is superior in that respect), Humphries or Drew Gooden have it going, or the Wizards are going small. I agree though there is no excuse for Gortat not to see any time in the 4th quarter though. In fact, it would be better if Wittman staggered Gortat's minutes- instead of playing all of the 3rd quarter- he could play some of the 3rd quarter and some of the 4th quarter.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,325

Post#922 » by nate33 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:40 pm

The Wizards won't win the next round. There's a gigantic difference between Toronto and Atlanta. Don't be fooled. The Wizards are not that good. It's just that Toronto is really bad.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#923 » by fishercob » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:48 pm

nate33 wrote:The Wizards won't win the next round. There's a gigantic difference between Toronto and Atlanta. Don't be fooled. The Wizards are not that good. It's just that Toronto is really bad.

I don't think the Wizards will win the next round, but I do believe they could. Atlanta is banged up. If their injury situation gets worse, they could be in trouble; they did not look impressive in their game 1 win over Brooklyn, who sucks.

I will be so happy if the Wizards sneak by Atlanta into the ECF. I'll also cringe at the proverbial "Mission Accomplished" banners when it will be largely due to the good fortune of being in a bad conference and playing injured opponents.

I'll happily deal with that problem should it come up.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#924 » by gambitx777 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:03 pm

Scott Brooks is looking for a job ....... would we rather have him over Wittman?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#925 » by nate33 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:06 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Scott Brooks is looking for a job ....... would we rather have him over Wittman?

No. I'd rather have Wittman. At least Wittman can coach defense.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#926 » by LyricalRico » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:07 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Scott Brooks is looking for a job ....... would we rather have him over Wittman?

Well, Randy has only has 1 play - the Wall iso. Brooks at least seems to have 2 - pass it to Durant, pass it to Westbrook.

But nah, I'd still set my sights higher. :D
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#927 » by fishercob » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:04 pm

nate33 wrote:

I don't think that's fair to Brooks. OKC has been an elite defensive team under his leadership.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#928 » by TheSecretWeapon » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:06 pm

fishercob wrote:
nate33 wrote:

I don't think that's fair to Brooks. OKC has been an elite defensive team under his leadership.

Yeah, I was gonna say. The complaint from OKC fans has been about Brooks' offensive system, which they allege is mostly just giving the ball to Durant and Westbrook and letting them create something.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#929 » by nate33 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:14 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:
fishercob wrote:
nate33 wrote:No. I'd rather have Wittman. At least Wittman can coach defense.

Yeah, I was gonna say. The complaint from OKC fans has been about Brooks' offensive system, which they allege is mostly just giving the ball to Durant and Westbrook and letting them create something.

The Wizards have had essentially the same defensive rating as OKC in the last 2 seasons, and a much better defensive rating this year. And the Wizards have done it without a freak rim protector like Ibaka and without some quality defensive big man depth like Collison and Perkins.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#930 » by TheSecretWeapon » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:35 pm

nate33 wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:
fishercob wrote:

The Wizards have had essentially the same defensive rating as OKC in the last 2 seasons, and a much better defensive rating this year. And the Wizards have done it without a freak rim protector like Ibaka and without some quality defensive big man depth like Collison and Perkins.

Both teams have been good on defense. Brooks at least managed not to screw them up defensively. This year, OKC still managed to be average defensively despite missing Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka (the team's three most impactful defenders) for significant chunks of the season, and despite trading for Kanter, who's a TERRIBLE defender. Anthony Morrow and Dion Waiters played combined 3200 minutes and the team still had an average defense.

On the other hand, the Wizards were 5th defensively despite a combined 4200+ minutes for Miller, Gooden, Butler and Seraphin.

I'm willing to go along with the idea that Wittman can coach defense, and that he might even be a little better at it than Brooks. But I think the evidence shows that Brooks knows what he's doing on the defensive end. It's a moot point because I wouldn't want Brooks as a Wittman replacement anyway.

For what it's worth, in my stuff, Collison rates as having a poor defensive impact at this point. He used to rate as a good defender, but not anymore. The team on/off stuff still looked good, but I'm wondering if it's lucky shirt theory at this point.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,110

Post#931 » by J-Ves » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:58 pm

If Ollie goes to OKC, we should consider KD2DC extremely unlikely and go for plan B. What plan B is I have no idea.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#932 » by gambitx777 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:00 pm

I still want D'antoni. I think he would do wonders with wall. He took a couple of bad jobs, NY and LA were not entirely his fault. You would need someone to head up the D, but that can be done.
But I've been looking at some names, other than D'antoni.
Fred Hoiberg, Mike Malone, David Vanterpool, Kenny Smith, Billy Donovan ?
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#933 » by pancakes3 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:50 pm

Bullets -> Wizards
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#934 » by FAH1223 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:50 pm

J-Ves wrote:If Ollie goes to OKC, we should consider KD2DC extremely unlikely and go for plan B. What plan B is I have no idea.

Ollie is staying at UCONN.

I'd hope we can pry him away next year but he seems intent on staying there for awhile. It is his Alma Mater and Calhoun groomed him for the job.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#935 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:56 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
J-Ves wrote:If Ollie goes to OKC, we should consider KD2DC extremely unlikely and go for plan B. What plan B is I have no idea.

I'd hope we can pry him away next year but he seems intent on staying there for awhile. It is his Alma Mater and Calhoun groomed him for the job.

Glad that he's staying. The timing could work out perfectly next year for the Wiz.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#936 » by LyricalRico » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:22 pm

Ruzious wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

Glad that he's staying. The timing could work out perfectly next year for the Wiz.

Yep, just posted something similar in the KD thread. This keeps the Durant/Ollie package deal alive for 2016!

:clap:
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Official Randy Wittman Thread - It Playoff Randy Time LOL 

Post#937 » by hands11 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:46 am

Has there ever been a coach like Randy who is so clueless during the season but who can actually coach well in the playoff ?
wizfactor94
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#938 » by wizfactor94 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:55 am

hands11 wrote:Has there ever been a coach like Randy who is so clueless during the season but who can actually coach well in the playoff ?

maybe your clueless? :-?
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#939 » by closg00 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:24 pm

Wizards coach Randy Wittman has outdone counterpart Dwane Casey in this series. Wittman’s defensive schemes have limited the Raptors guards and the needed adjustments haven’t come or just haven’t worked.

Washington’s small lineups with Pierce at power forward have crushed Toronto. In the fourth quarter the spread offense and ball movement led to basket after basket as the Wizards racked up 34 points. Meanwhile at the other end, the perimeter-based Raptors have been unable to take advantage of matchups. It’s been going this way for a week now. Whenever the Wizards need a boost, Wittman hits this button and there’s almost instant gratification.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/post/_/id/1 ... ame-3-loss

Randy is out-coaching Casey, should he get props?
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#940 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:46 am

7-1 on the road and 2-4 at home in the playoffs. So far ...
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards