ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Randy Wittman Thread - It's Playoff Randy Time LOL

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,351

Re: 

Post#1061 » by Kanyewest » Sun May 17, 2015 2:38 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I'm not going to ignore 7-21. I'm not going to only state the good.

The Wizards were much better defensively with Wall.

The Wizards were much easier for Atlanta to defend with Wall.

DCZards, when Wall takes a 3 early in the shot clock and misses; should I mention his absolute beast mode blocks on Teague?

The truth is that Wall shoots below. 400 FG in the playoffs. He shoots roughly .230 from 3-point in the playoffs.

The Wizards coach puts way too much burden on John Wall.

Rip2137 on the General Board, Washington vs Atlanta thread stated things in a way all Wall defensive/hypersensitive enablers such as yourself should read.

My issue is really that the ball sticking in one player's hand doesn't work as well as several players touching the ball and each one being empowered to make a play. Wittman is not helping Wall--John is getting tougher, more competitive, but IMO the coaching staff isn't helping him at the end of games.

True Wall played pretty well defensively but at times he had his mental errors. I agree, the ball was sticking too much in his hands as Glenn Consor pointed out in the first quarter that the Wizards needed to reverse the ball to other side of the court.

You have to give Wall props for playing with an injured hand. You have to wonder how much his injured hand affected his game. He only had 2 turnovers in game 1, but had 6 turnovers in each game 5 and 6 of the series.

Either way though, Wall should work on his 3 point shot going forward. He didn't make a single 3 pointer against Atlanta for 3 games.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: Re: Official Randy Wittman Thread - It's Playoff Randy Time LOL 

Post#1062 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun May 17, 2015 5:39 am

DCZards wrote:ccj, I am well aware that you are not going to ignore Wall's shortcomings. You've made that apparent the last 5 years. In fact, we can depend on you to be the first one to point them out.

The guy is a competitor who will be even better in the future.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Re: Official Randy Wittman Thread - It's Playoff Randy Time LOL 

Post#1063 » by Illmatic12 » Sun May 17, 2015 5:28 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:Wittman's comments seem to be more about personnel than tactics or scheme, though I could be wrong. All I'm seeing right now is what someone put on Twitter. I think the comments are fairly disingenuous regardless. They could have played all season the way they did in the playoffs with the personnel they had on the roster. The proof of that is that they did it in the playoffs with the same players they'd had all year. And, a number of people were saying all year that the team should play a lot more like they did in the playoffs. Wittman mocked those ideas in at least one presser.

So, it should not have been a revelation that the Wizards could be better if they a) gave minutes to more productive players and lineups, and b) emphasized things that could improve their offensive efficiency (like shooting more threes).

What I took from the comments is, at least the team is on the same page about acquiring reliable talent who can work with the style they want to play.

Whether Wittman could have played his cards differently last regular season or not, either way logging heavy minutes to 35+yo veteran forwards is not the longterm solution for playing smallball around Wall/Beal. We shouldn't have key players on this team who we're worried about "saving their legs" .. there's a good chance Pierce would have struggled playing heavy minuets at PF, and Gooden was always just as likely to cost us as he was to help us factoring in his defense.

I will grade Wittman's comments if the team gets legitimate, non-ancient floor spacing PFs and shooters and he still is unable to use them (which I doubt will be the case, Wittman isn't some idiot his first day on the job)
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1064 » by LyricalRico » Sun May 17, 2015 8:26 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:Wittman's comments seem to be more about personnel than tactics or scheme, though I could be wrong. All I'm seeing right now is what someone put on Twitter. I think the comments are fairly disingenuous regardless. They could have played all season the way they did in the playoffs with the personnel they had on the roster. The proof of that is that they did it in the playoffs with the same players they'd had all year. And, a number of people were saying all year that the team should play a lot more like they did in the playoffs. Wittman mocked those ideas in at least one presser.

So, it should not have been a revelation that the Wizards could be better if they a) gave minutes to more productive players and lineups, and b) emphasized things that could improve their offensive efficiency (like shooting more threes).

Co-sign 100%. The quotes actually tell me that Randy probably hasn't learned anything. Maybe he wants to get more athleticism alongside Wall (which wouldn't hurt), but nothing about him suggests to me that he will play the wide open, stretch four style we saw against Toronto for 82 games next year. I fully expect lots of Nene post ups early in games and the Beal iso late in games, regardless of who is on the team next year.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#1065 » by hands11 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:43 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:

What I took from the comments is, at least the team is on the same page about acquiring reliable talent who can work with the style they want to play.

Whether Wittman could have played his cards differently last regular season or not, either way logging heavy minutes to 35+yo veteran forwards is not the longterm solution for playing smallball around Wall/Beal. We shouldn't have key players on this team who we're worried about "saving their legs" .. there's a good chance Pierce would have struggled playing heavy minuets at PF, and Gooden was always just as likely to cost us as he was to help us factoring in his defense.

I will grade Wittman's comments if the team gets legitimate, non-ancient floor spacing PFs and shooters and he still is unable to use them (which I doubt will be the case, Wittman isn't some idiot his first day on the job)

Maybe not an idiot and maybe not his first day on the job, but he has done some stupid things in the past and they were stupid things he did over and over that he committed to. Not saying they were even without logic. But they were the wrong choices.

Gooden could have done what he did in down the stretch and in the playoffs... all year.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/3-points/sort/threePointFieldGoalPct/position/power-forwards

Paul.. I never expected him to play much S4 during the year so Randy's explanation matches what I expected and what Paul expressed before the season started. Just some here refused to listen. That played out exactly as I expected and posted about numerous times from before the season ... right up until they started using Paul at S4. So there shouldn't be any shock there what happened and why.

So they only other major change was from A Miller, a non 3 pt shooter, to Session who can get them up and keep the tempo up.
We had Rasual shooting 3s, then we had Otto shooting them. That's kind of a wash.

Open the floor with S4s.. Gooden and Paul.. Have Beal and Paul shoot more. Add in Sessions...

Wa la... more 3 balls going in and a stretched floor.

Without Sessions and with no Paul at S4, they could have been closer to 22 attempts a game instead of 17. Still under average, but no 26th in the league.

But Randy chose more Nene and Humphries over Gooden.

That's where they were. Good news. Randy seems to get it and there are options moving forward. Gooden may be gone but they might be able to land someone as good or better.

It was a missed opportunity. But I doubt the end result would have been much different. ECF was as far as they were going to go and mostly what stopped that from happening was Wall getting injured. And some Randy going with Nene to much.. Which seems like it could have happened anyway.

So they could have gotten 50 plus wins. Maybe home court. Maybe that gets them the ECF.

But they did luck into a TOR match up and they did sweep which was good. And even the ATL experience was something for Wall, Beal and Otto to learn from. The sweep experience and the wining playoff road record are great things for Wall, Beal and Otto to have experienced.

So different road could have been traveled. Not clear if they would have lead to a different result. We will never know.

Cuz in the end. They were .01 sec from OT. Another wild open Paul 3 from a win or tie. I can't remember. And Wall not getting injured from maybe a 5 game or less series.

It was a really good year for them. Great experience. And Otto arrived. That's huge.

Now they just have to clean up some more poops. Which pretty much every team that doesn't win it all has to do.

For me.. They really need to move Nene and add at least Gooden, Charlie V, Ilyasova. Or better yet.. Milsap, Dirk.

Just sucks they didn't draft Mike Muscala who was on my hot list that year. Ryan Kelly and Erik Murphy where there as well.
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer
And1: 510

Re: 

Post#1066 » by Sluggerface » Sun May 17, 2015 8:51 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I'm not going to ignore 7-21. I'm not going to only state the good.

DCZards, when Wall takes a 3 early in the shot clock and misses; should I mention his absolute beast mode blocks on Teague?

The truth is that Wall shoots below. 400 FG in the playoffs. He shoots roughly .230 from 3-point in the playoffs.

Rip2137 on the General Board, Washington vs Atlanta thread stated things in a way all Wall defensive/hypersensitive enablers such as yourself should read.

My issue is really that the ball sticking in one player's hand doesn't work as well as several players touching the ball and each one being empowered to make a play. Wittman is not helping Wall--John is getting tougher, more competitive, but IMO the coaching staff isn't helping him at the end of games.

Lol. That's a load of a hogwash, and infinitely easier to say after Wall comes back and plays with a broken hand while Pierce and Porter had fallen back down to earth from the arc. The offense was literally no different than it was in the first round or even in game one. The simple fact is Porter and Pierce were riding ridiculous highs and the come down was inevitable.

Go ask anyone on the Hawks if they'd rather defend a Sessions led team vs a Wall led team. Such a ridiculous f'ing notion.
WizWillWin
Sophomore
And1: 73

Post#1067 » by WizWillWin » Sun May 17, 2015 9:32 pm

We should go after Thibodeau. Or maybe Doc Rivers will get fired
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#1068 » by TheSecretWeapon » Sun May 17, 2015 9:37 pm

WizWillWin wrote:We should go after Thibodeau

Lots of issues with this. First, there's no way Wittman gets fired. Leonsis said the team had achieved its goals. You don't fire a guy who's done what you asked. Second, Thibodeau is probably the better coach, but he does grind his players down and he's not great offensively. His defensive schemes are the best in the business, though. And third, he was actually a Wizards assistant coach for about a week back when Eddie Jordan was the head guy. He'd been brought in primarily by the front office, and became so uncomfortable with the position he was in (clearly the head coach in waiting) that he felt he was undermining Eddie and the other assistants and he resigned to go to Boston.

The most salient point is the first one, though. Wittman is going nowhere this offseason.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#1069 » by Meliorus » Mon May 18, 2015 12:22 am

WizWillWin wrote:We should go after Thibodeau. Or maybe Doc Rivers will get fired

That is a great decision if you want Wall, Beal, and Otto's careers to end 5 years early.
RealGM

Re: Re: Re: 

Post#1070 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon May 18, 2015 1:04 am

Sluggerface wrote:

Lol. That's a load of a hogwash, and infinitely easier to say after Wall comes back and plays with a broken hand while Pierce and Porter had fallen back down to earth from the arc. The offense was literally no different than it was in the first round or even in game one. The simple fact is Porter and Pierce were riding ridiculous highs and the come down was inevitable.

Go ask anyone on the Hawks if they'd rather defend a Sessions led team vs a Wall led team. Such a ridiculous f'ing notion.

Why did the Wizards score over 100 both games without Wall?

How well did the Wizards shoot in games 6 and 7? How many did they score?

Porter and Pierce riding highs is your explanation? The ball sticking the last two games is mine. Matter of fact, Sessions and the bench players gave the Wizards a fourth quarter lead in game 6. The ball was swinging from player to player.

What happened the rest of that game?
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#1071 » by TGW » Mon May 18, 2015 2:47 am

DCZards wrote:ccj, I am well aware that you are not going to ignore Wall's shortcomings. You've made that apparent the last 5 years. In fact, we can depend on you to be the first one to point them out.

This x100

So Sessions runs the offense better, huh? :lol:

Demarcus Cousins would have ran the offense better, huh? :lol:

**** I give up with reading that guy's silliness. I don't care how many posts he has here.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1072 » by hands11 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:24 am

WizWillWin wrote:We should go after Thibodeau. Or maybe Doc Rivers will get fired

Thibodeau ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would rather keep Randy another year on the contract he has.

Honestly.. Thibodeau is so over rated.. Or Randy is under rated.

Point is. There isn't much difference between the two.

Both are defensive coaches. To Randy's advantage. At least he might be showing some signs of learning.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1073 » by hands11 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:28 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Sluggerface wrote:

Why did the Wizards score over 100 both games without Wall?

How well did the Wizards shoot in games 6 and 7? How many did they score?

Porter and Pierce riding highs is your explanation? The ball sticking the last two games is mine. Matter of fact, Sessions and the bench players gave the Wizards a fourth quarter lead in game 6. The ball was swinging from player to player.

What happened the rest of that game?

Maybe you should look at Nene. His minutes. His role. Not Wall.

Beal and ther did well to step up in Walls absence. But they are not better without Wall healthy. But to much Nene.. That kills them.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#1074 » by DCZards » Mon May 18, 2015 3:29 am

Sessions played a grand total of 9 minutes in the 6th game...and I don't believe he played at all in the fourth quarter when you claim he and the bench players gave the Zards the lead.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#1075 » by TGW » Mon May 18, 2015 3:46 am

DCZards wrote:Sessions played a grand total of 9 minutes in the 6th game...and I don't believe he played at all in the fourth quarter when you claim he and the bench players gave the Zards the lead.

Exactly. Wall played the entire 4th. If Nene didn't miss a layup and 2 foul shots, they would have had a bigger lead.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
RealGM

Post#1076 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon May 18, 2015 7:27 am

Game 5....not game 6. My mistake.
RealGM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 

Post#1077 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon May 18, 2015 7:31 am

DCZards wrote:

Sessions played a grand total of 9 minutes in the 6th game...and I don't believe he played at all in the fourth quarter when you claim he and the bench players gave the Zards the lead.

Game 5.

That's where the Wizards lost the lead they established before Wall came back in.

Wall was not at fault. Nor was Sessions why they were ahead.
RealGM

Post#1078 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon May 18, 2015 7:36 am

There was no game 7. Above when I said 6 and 7 I should have said 5 and 6.

DCZ, you and TGW are kindreds. Passive aggressive types that twist the knife in sneaky sly ways. You interject that I am attacking Wall and ignore the big idea.

You guys continues to attack me while I redirect to the main premise.

While the defense was better with Wall, the offense was not.

The ball sticking with one player is often easier to defend.

I welcome your dislike, TGW. Every person in life isn't going to like you. I hope you can really put your animus on hold long enough to step up and refute an idea. It's a small mind that can only talk about people.

DCZ, if you were not so in tune with petty personal attacks you would have said how did the Wizards score over 100 the two games without Wall?

All I said was defense was better with Wall,but as a TEAM the Wizards offense was worse. I even said check what Rip2137 said on the General Board.

Buy that's okay. I know people like you in real life. I don't hate them but I do recognize what they really want to do is ruin reputations or lives while they get by on guile and superficial knowledge.

Thanks, TGW. I expect that from you.
RealGM

Post#1079 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon May 18, 2015 7:49 am

TGW wrote:

This x100

So Sessions runs the offense better, huh? :lol:

Demarcus Cousins would have ran the offense better, huh? :lol:

**** I give up with reading that guy's silliness. I don't care how many posts he has here.

Ignore is your friend.

Never said Sessions ran the offense better.

It's not silly to introduce DeMarcus Cousins to this discussion.

You are an insidious type who I just as soon call out. I have been around a long time because I enjoy ideas and am respectful. When I disagree with an idea I don't try and kill the messenger.

Wall is 24 years old. I am very critical of some facets of his game. Regardless, i can foresee John winning multiple championships before his career is over.

You and DCZ can **** with my every syllable and try and hate all you want.
RealGM

Post#1080 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon May 18, 2015 8:38 am

Ball reversal, spacing, and riding hot players is the bigger picture.

Return to Washington Wizards