ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Randy Wittman Thread - It's Playoff Randy Time LOL

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: The Randy Wittman Thread - Your New Head Coach 

Post#21 » by hands11 » Thu Mar 8, 2012 4:34 am

DallasShalDune wrote:I'm not in favor at this point, but how bad an idea would it be to keep him around for longer than just this year?

I see no reason to close the door yet. Just sit back and watch. I don't know enough about him but I am learning as we go and I see some good thing. He also played good rotations every time I remember him stepping in to coach a game here and there.

Point is, we dont have to decide right now so just collect evidence.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#22 » by jivelikenice » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:17 am

Randy's coaching has been pretty bad of late. The last 3 homes games we've had sizeable leads when he decides to sub in the second unit. Nothing wrong with that but he sticks with them too long as they struggle to even get into offensive sets. 3 games in a row of the same thing. Wall goes out...Mack goes in. We do nothing but wall sits the 1st half of the 4th quarter. The offensive has already stalled and Wall comes in cold to end the game. Why not mix it up a little. Keep Wall and but give him some rest by playing him w/ Mack? Sub Mack in earlier so wall can maybe play the whole 4th? i don't know which if any would work but if the same pattern has lead to 3 straight blown leads, then change it up!!!

And where was Seraphin in the 4th? Only guy who was shooting well and Randy sticks with Vesely too long. If they just keep feeding Seraphin down low he will shoot a high %.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#23 » by closg00 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:03 pm

jivelikenice wrote:Randy's coaching has been pretty bad of late. The last 3 homes games we've had sizeable leads when he decides to sub in the second unit. Nothing wrong with that but he sticks with them too long as they struggle to even get into offensive sets. 3 games in a row of the same thing. Wall goes out...Mack goes in. We do nothing but wall sits the 1st half of the 4th quarter. The offensive has already stalled and Wall comes in cold to end the game. Why not mix it up a little. Keep Wall and but give him some rest by playing him w/ Mack? Sub Mack in earlier so wall can maybe play the whole 4th? i don't know which if any would work but if the same pattern has lead to 3 straight blown leads, then change it up!!!

And where was Seraphin in the 4th? Only guy who was shooting well and Randy sticks with Vesely too long. If they just keep feeding Seraphin down low he will shoot a high %.

The back-to-back's and Chuck Crawford have not helped, but Witt has not held things together in the 4th quarter himself down-the-strech.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#24 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:51 pm

Wasn't the big thing Randy and Ted talked about regarding the coaching change was them implementing a new "system" that involved running a lot more? Whatever happened to that "system"? It seems like they've been running less, and nobody other than Wall, Crawford, and Mack run at all.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#25 » by jivelikenice » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:43 am

Randy must not want to be considered after the season. His lineup changes are terrible. He's helping the tank by making some mind some mind numbing decisions.
hands11
Banned User

Post#26 » by hands11 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:06 am

Ruzious wrote:Wasn't the big thing Randy and Ted talked about regarding the coaching change was them implementing a new "system" that involved running a lot more? Whatever happened to that "system"? It seems like they've been running less, and nobody other than Wall, Crawford, and Mack run at all.

Randy spoke to that. They changed when Nene got here. Randy wants them feeding the post more and more inside out game. I see them doing that.
hands11
Banned User

Post#27 » by hands11 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Or this one. lol

Do we really need three separate Randy/who should coach the Wizards threads ?
hands11
Banned User

Re: Official Randy Wittman Apprehiation Thread 

Post#28 » by hands11 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:51 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wa ... ory_1.html

“People are going to say it was against this team or that team and who held out and who didn’t, but you still got to win the game — and we didn’t always do that,” said Coach Randy Wittman, who still hasn’t been given any hint from the organization about his future beyond this season. “I liked how this team came together since the trade, I like the locker room, the professionalism that changed within the whole group, as we made the change that we did, and then obviously the play on the court was a positive. I liked what I think is a pretty good future where this team’s headed.”

Randy is actually signed right now for next year though he was signed as an assistant. He is already on the payroll.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#29 » by montestewart » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:16 pm

I think Wittman would apprehiate a spell check.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#30 » by Severn Hoos » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:07 am

montestewart wrote:I think Wittman would apprehiate a spell check.

I just noticed this on the main page. Actually, I think it's a clever combination of Appreciation and Apprehension. Which perfectly describes my current feelings about the prospect of going into next season with Randy as the coach. Well done!
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#31 » by montestewart » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:28 am

Severn Hoos wrote:Actually, I think it's a clever combination of Appreciation and Apprehension.

In that case, carry on.
hands11
Banned User

Re: Official Randy Wittman Appreciation Thread 

Post#32 » by hands11 » Wed May 30, 2012 1:10 am

http://www.slamonline.com/online/news-r ... -as-coach/

Report: Wizards Will Retain Randy Wittman As Coach

Hours after the Clippers announced they will keep Vinny Del Negro on board as head coach, it looks like the Wizards will elect to do the same with interim coach Randy Wittman, who took over midseason for Flip Saunders. Washington finished with the second-worst record in the NBA in 2011-12, but did finish the season with a 6-game winning streak. Bullets Forever has the details of the report, which first came from ESPN Radio 980 DC’s Scott Jackson: “In a move that has become more and more of an inevitable one as the days have gone on, Randy Wittman will be the Washington Wizards’ head coach next season, general manager Ernie Grunfeld told ESPN 980′s Scott Jackson. Wittman will return after posting an 18-31 record after taking over for Flip Saunders in mid-January. The news isn’t surprising because the Wizards haven’t been involved in any coaching rumors since the season ended. Once Ted Leonsis made the decision to give general manager Ernie Grunfeld a two-year contract extension, it ushered in the path for Wittman to return as well. Grunfeld has repeatedly said that he thought Wittman did a good job with the team last year.”

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
hands11
Banned User

Post#33 » by hands11 » Fri Jun 1, 2012 10:42 pm

Wittman it is.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... dy_Wittman

Ok, the first time I jumped the gun. Now it's official.
hands11
Banned User

Post#34 » by hands11 » Sun Jun 3, 2012 3:52 am

His imprint wasn’t necessarily felt in system but in a no-nonsense style that resonated with a group of impressionable young players. He immediately brought order and accountability, something the organization had been lacking in recent years. Wittman demanded effort, rewarded those who could provide it and punished those who couldn’t.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... #pagebreak

Now I wasn't counting on a two year deal but I'll take it. I believe in Randy so this only gives him more authority which is good. Not that he really needed it because I think the players already respected him.
hands11
Banned User

Post#35 » by hands11 » Sun Jun 3, 2012 6:02 pm

A very important factor in all of this is going to be Wall next year. So far Randy has helped Wall like he helped KS. And Wall seems to respect Randy and feels comfortable with him. Best thing with KS is he want Randy to get on him about stuff. I think he has the same relationship with Wall which is good.

Big year for Wall next year means a big year for the Wiz and good things for Randy moving forward.

And not they I would want a Perry Jones ( and we won't have to pick to get him ) but I get the feeling we could take on a player who needs a little molding and Randy would get results from them. That opens things up or the future. We can be a little more flexible on talent even if they player doesn't have it all together.
hands11
Banned User

Post#36 » by hands11 » Fri Jun 8, 2012 4:52 am

Reporters Announcement
http://www.nba.com/wizards/video/2012/0 ... ov-2120369

Great interview 20 minutes
http://www.nba.com/wizards/video/2012/0 ... ov-2119538

Randy may be a hard as in some way but he does give the players a lot of props also.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXpmvwZUP04[/youtube]

When you watch the other two video and then compare them to this one, you can see Randy had ball from the start. He know what he wanted to do and he did it. And the player bought in and respected him for it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n1rwYBUERs&feature=related[/youtube]
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#37 » by mohammed10 » Fri Jun 8, 2012 5:07 pm

hands11 wrote:Wittman it is.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... dy_Wittman

Ok, the first time I jumped the gun. Now it's official.

hands- I know you (and many on this board) are excited about Randy returning to the Wiz sideline. I am on the record saying that the late season surge is fools' gold.

I hope you are right and I am wrong about this, but I suspect we may be looking at another coaching change in another year - maybe less.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#38 » by Higga » Fri Jun 8, 2012 6:04 pm

mohammed10 wrote:
hands- I know you (and many on this board) are excited about Randy returning to the Wiz sideline. I am on the record saying that the late season surge is fools' gold.

I hope you are right and I am wrong about this, but I suspect we may be looking at another coaching change in another year - maybe less.

I'm with you.

Within one, maybe two years tops we'll be looking for another coach.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,299

Post#39 » by nate33 » Fri Jun 8, 2012 6:19 pm

Higga wrote:
mohammed10 wrote:

I'm with you.

Within one, maybe two years tops we'll be looking for another coach.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a new coach in about 2 years, but that doesn't mean Randy isn't the right guy at the right time. At this point, we need a coach that can instill discipline, work ethic, selflessness and develop players. So far, Randy has seemed pretty solid on these fronts.

At some point in the future, we may need a coach whose strengths are X's and O's and juggling ego's. That might not be Wittman. We can make that coaching change when the time is right.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#40 » by mohammed10 » Fri Jun 8, 2012 6:31 pm

nate33 wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me to see a new coach in about 2 years, but that doesn't mean Randy isn't the right guy at the right time. At this point, we need a coach that can instill discipline, work ethic, selflessness and develop players. So far, Randy has seemed pretty solid on these fronts.

At some point in the future, we may need a coach whose strengths are X's and O's and juggling ego's. That might not be Wittman. We can make that coaching change when the time is right.

But here's the thing, nate...there is a pretty decent crop of viable candidates out there NOW (Nate McMillan, the Van Gundy boys (Stan and Jeff), and Jerry Sloan - just to name a few (I don't think Phil Jackson is realistic). If Ted wanted to start fresh, with a rookie coach, he could call up Dave Joerger or Pat Ewing.

Obviously, none of us have a crystal ball, but I doubt this kind of crop of candidates would be available to us in 2014-15.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling

Return to Washington Wizards