ImageImageImageImageImage

The WizFans Washington professional football thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Re: You down with RG3? (The WizFans 'Skins Thread) 

Post#241 » by Kanyewest » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:04 pm

I would blame the defense, but I blame the personnel more than Haslett at this point. Although not sure why Haslett was hired and the Redskins switched to a 3-4 defense to begin with.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#242 » by Dat2U » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:22 pm

Dark Faze wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:The silver lining now is we have a first.

How crazy would it be if we were in a position to land Winston lol

And that would be a complete circus. I wouldn't wish any young QB on this fanbase & local media. My neck still hurts from how fast media and fans turned on an injured RG3 rushing back too fast from injury last year.

I love Griffin but how do you not take Winston if he's on the board when we pick

I didn't say I wouldn't, I just don't trust this franchise to make the right decisions, look at RG3 as a prime example. How long did it take this organization to ruin this kid's future by playing him hurt at the end of his rookie season and letting him come back last season when he was obviously no where near ready. We could blame the Shanahan's for that but that would be giving a pass to everyone else who got their hands dirty (Snyder, the front office, the medical staff).

As long as we have coaches as defacto GMs & meddling ownership that wants to have its hands involved in everything (i.e. the draft, medical staff, player personnel, etc) it's going to continue to be The Circus at Fed Ex Field.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,892

Post#243 » by TGW » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:02 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
And that would be a complete circus. I wouldn't wish any young QB on this fanbase & local media. My neck still hurts from how fast media and fans turned on an injured RG3 rushing back too fast from injury last year.

I love Griffin but how do you not take Winston if he's on the board when we pick

I didn't say I wouldn't, I just don't trust this franchise to make the right decisions, look at RG3 as a prime example. How long did it take this organization to ruin this kid's future by playing him hurt at the end of his rookie season and letting him come back last season when he was obviously no where near ready. We could blame the Shanahan's for that but that would be giving a pass to everyone else who got their hands dirty (Snyder, the front office, the medical staff).

As long as we have coaches as defacto GMs & meddling ownership that wants to have its hands involved in everything (i.e. the draft, medical staff, player personnel, etc) it's going to continue to be The Circus at Fed Ex Field.

Exactly...either Snyder needs to sell the team or keep his ass as far away from Redskins park as possible, while letting the football people make football decisions. I'm tired of his meddling, wannabe Jerry Jones act.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#244 » by Higga » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:58 pm

The Washington Redskins: the best marketing organization that plays football in all of the NFL.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#245 » by Wizardspride » Wed Oct 8, 2014 9:18 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Rich_TandlerCSN/status/519912787108458497[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Rich_TandlerCSN/status/519900225184735232[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Rich_TandlerCSN/status/519898928691810305[/tweet]
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#246 » by Higga » Thu Oct 9, 2014 2:55 pm

I'd still be cautious with him. If it were up to me I wouldn't bring him back till after the bye week.

Take no chances after last season.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#247 » by queridiculo » Thu Oct 9, 2014 3:23 pm

Kanyewest wrote:I would blame the defense, but I blame the personnel more than Haslett at this point. Although not sure why Haslett was hired and the Redskins switched to a 3-4 defense to begin with.

A large portion of the blame there goes to Shanahan, but Snyder had his hand in that one too by creating a vacuum that allowed Shanahan free reign with nobody to challenge his decision making.

Haslett had no experience coaching the 3-4, and a strong GM may have stood his ground and either questioned the decision to go with that system in the first place, or found candidates better suited for that system.

Whether a with to the 4-3 is the answer remains to be seen, but the defense certainly looked better following the first half, and gave Washington a chance to win the game.

Much of that could of course been Seattle's lack of preparedness for that look, but at this point I wouldn't mind seeing Washington going forward with a switch, it certainly seems like a our personnel is much better suited for the traditional look.
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#248 » by Hidden Eye » Thu Oct 9, 2014 3:53 pm

I'd say right now skins can win 5-6 games the way they are playing. Running game and both lines need to improve and be healthy. Cousins is a solid QB but not gonna have a future here. He already messed up his chance against the Giants few weeks ago.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,892

Post#249 » by TGW » Thu Oct 9, 2014 3:57 pm

Higga wrote:I'd still be cautious with him. If it were up to me I wouldn't bring him back till after the bye week.

He should be benched for the whole season.

Focus on the learning the offense and getting 100% healthy. The line is terrible and there would be no point putting him back there to get killed.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#250 » by Wizardspride » Thu Oct 9, 2014 6:36 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Rich_TandlerCSN/status/520261987918688256[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/john_keim/status/520260978164764672[/tweet]
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#251 » by Dat2U » Thu Oct 9, 2014 7:05 pm

TGW wrote:
Higga wrote:I'd still be cautious with him. If it were up to me I wouldn't bring him back till after the bye week.

Focus on the learning the offense and getting 100% healthy. The line is terrible and there would be no point putting him back there to get killed.

No, you got to find out what you have. If he's healthy and can play, I see no reason to wait. It would be great if he could make some strides in reading defenses and finish the year strong. It would give us a clear direction to go in for next season and some momentum as well.

The last thing I'd want is a case where things are still murky at the QB position going into the offseason.

The only question that's been answered thus far is Cousins is not our starting QB of the future, and the door is now closed on getting a decent draft pick in return for him.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#252 » by Wizardspride » Thu Oct 9, 2014 7:10 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bmcnally14/status/520287610183630848[/tweet]
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#253 » by Wizardspride » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:54 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeJonesWaPo/status/520593884666429442[/tweet]
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: You down with RG3? 

Post#254 » by fishercob » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:51 pm

fishercob wrote:I agree with the move.

The Price: When's the last time you got something really good for cheap? It doesn't happen often, because valuable things cost a lot. I'm not going to get into the semantic argument about whether or not the Skins gave up 2 or 3 firsts. But what they do is acquire a more valuable asset than past top picks because of the rookie wage scale. The wage scale as part of the new CBA means that Griffin with be slotted in to about $20M of guaranteed money. Whereas two seasons ago, the #1 pick entitled the Rams the right to give Sam Bradford $50M guaranteed. Top picks are now cheaper, less risky, and thus more valuable. The counter to this is that the picks they gave up wil thus be more valuable as well; but it's the highest picks where the rookie wage scale suppresses the most value and the Redkins aren't likely to be picking this high again next year.

Opportunity: The fact that the Redskins are likely to improve underscores why it was important to make this move now. Central to this trade is that the Rams only move down four spots and still get an impact player. If the Redskins had won just one more game this year they could have been picking as low as 10th. The 8-8 Bears are picking 19th. There was simply no guarantee that the Skins would have a trade chip as vauable as the 6th pick any time soon. This could very well have been there best -- least expensive -- chance at a young franchise QB for some time. By the same token, there's no guarantee that they'd have a shot at drafting a franchise QB next year. This was their shot and they took it.

Timing: While the record and on-field product has been unsatisfying the past couple of seasons, Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan have spent the past two seasons making the Skins younger and cheaper. This trade would have made little sense two years ago when the Redskins had literaly the oldest roster in the league. I can't find the Skins ranking now, but we know they're a lot younger and we know they have a healthy amount of cap room (once they get this ridiculous issue with the league resolved) with which to fill some holes and build around Griffin. The first rounders in '13 and '14 are the only picks the Redskins don't have over their next two drafts. They have the ability to build around Griffin, rather than just hope he's some final piece. Even if they suck ass for the next three years, they're still going to all their picks going forward from there and Griffin will only be just 25.

Fit: I'm no football X and O guru, but it doesn;t take a genius to know that Mike Shanahan's successful Denver offenses were built around running a lot of stretch plays and bootliegging off of play action. He made freaking Jake Plummer look good. He's done some of that here. But Rex Grossman is so fat and slow that his rollouts -- especially to the left -- haven't worked well at all. He can't create the necessary space to re-square his shoulders and throw accurately when rolling left. He's no threat to run for first downs or more. RG3 is a game-changer in this respect. I think he'll be able to create big plays off these rollouts, and once defenses start to account for that (by keeping someone "home" on the weak side), I expect the running game to spring more long runs. Defenses can't cover everything.

Yes, Daniel Snyder is an an a-hole and the Redskins have been bad for a really long time. But the overall cynicism toward the team has caused the pendulum to swing so far back that people just assume this is a bad move. This obviously hinges on how good Griff turns out to be, but if the personnel people thinks he has a good shot of becoming a franchise QB, this is a very reasonable gamble.

Fisher FTW!

Oy.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#255 » by Ruzious » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:37 pm

Peter Forsberg will have 100 NHL goals by then. 8-)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#256 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:16 am

TGW wrote:

I agree that Griffin should err on the side of caution. Why rush back in a lost season other than fear of job security?

John Gruden predicted as much in a press conference weeks ago when he said he wouldn't be surprised if RG3 didn't come back in record time. The coach is wise enough to know that Griffin isn't wise enough to know what's good for his own longevity.

At this point, I would rather see McCoy get snaps if Cousins gets hurt. Let Griffin's body and mind be 100% as good as can be before he returns to the field.
Bye bye Beal.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#257 » by Dark Faze » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:08 pm

He needs reps so he'll play.

And we'll probably be in the running to get Winston or Mariota, so he better show out.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#258 » by fishercob » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:23 pm

Ruzious wrote:Peter Forsberg will have 100 NHL goals by then. 8-)

You meant Filip -- no relation, btw. :D
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#259 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:56 pm

fishercob wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Peter Forsberg will have 100 NHL goals by then. 8-)

You meant Filip -- no relation, btw. :D

Well yeah, I'm not a hockey expert. :wink:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#260 » by FreeBalling » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:24 pm

Sounds like Griffen is trying to make it back for Dallas week. National TV, Griffen the master of extending the play will be back soon. Lets see if he can pass the football at the NFL level. Dallas seems to be playing good football and I doubt that even Peyton Manning on the Skin would earn a win. There are just too many holes to fill.

If Robert rushes his recovery for Dallas, then he''s making a foolish risk jeopardizing his long tem NFL career.

For what?

The face of the franchise R_Yee_Fragile
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html

Return to Washington Wizards