ImageImageImageImageImage

Nene

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Re: Nene 

Post#41 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:49 pm

I'm going to guess Nene will miss 20 or more games this season. That estimate could be off by ten games either way, most likely. No way he plays more than 72 games IMO. Unless this is really serious, Nene won't miss 30 game.

By my calculations, Nene is a 75%-available guy.

Hilario's $13M salary split four ways comes up to $3.25M.

Even if he misses one quarter of the season, the Wizards still must pay 100% of Nene's guaranteed money. The Wizards will pay him $3.25M while Nene sits out injured, if my projection is close to what will happen in the future.

:(

(And since Nene's under contract 4 more years, they could pay 3.25X4 or $13M for a guy in a suit the next few years.)

A different way to look at it would be to divide $13M by 0.75. That comes to $17.33M as his percieved rate, or the equivalent of his salary based on when he actually plays.

Finally, for as good as Nene is those 60 games for Washington at $13M; Javale McGee will play around 80 games at $10M for Denver. I know which GM is getting a better return on investment. The GM who has the young player who will very likely be healthier, and who might even improve dramatically. Masai Ujiri really got the better of Ernie Grunfeld IMO.
Bye bye Beal.
OffTheWall2
Junior
And1: 116

Post#42 » by OffTheWall2 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:15 pm

Should be another fun NBA season in DC !
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#43 » by GhostsOfGil » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:17 pm

verbal8 wrote:
youngthegiant wrote:Typical Nene................................So glad we traded him, guy has no love for winning or that competitive edge.

I don't think those are McGee's strong suits either.

:lol: zingggg
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#44 » by payitforward » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:20 pm

hands11 wrote:“He hasn’t had must time to rest this summer because of the commitment he had to his national team,” Grunfeld said of Nene, who missed a game in the Olympics because of soreness in his left foot. “So we’re going to be very, very cautious. We’re going to take it very slow with him and make sure he’s 100 percent when we put him out there full time.”.

Ummm, how much did he practice and play for his national team that caused him so little "time to rest?"

For that matter, how many minutes did he play for us? @ 280 minutes. How about for the Nuggets? 825 minutes.

How can *anybody* think there's no problem here?

hands11 wrote:...we get to see plenty of Booker, Ves and Kevin to start. Lets see what they have done in the off season. Give Nene all the rest he needs till he is 100% for sure.

Ves and Okafor
Booker and Kevin

or the other way around...?

How do you think they will do it?

Okafor will start at the 5. That's a downgrade from Nene in production.
Vesely will start at the 4. He ended the season well, but it's a question whether he's as productive as Booker. Not a huge difference in any case, and I'd expect them both to play lots of minutes, especially once Okafor is injured again or if he simply hasn't recovered completely from his previous injury by the start of the season.

Man what a GM we have!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#45 » by DCZards » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:11 pm

Man, I can't wait for the season to begin. As far as Nene vs. McGee: Nene may be more of an asset for the Zards--both on and off the court--playing 60-70 games than McGee would be playing 82 games.
RealGM

Post#46 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:48 pm

DCZ, I think that is entirely possible that he can be more of an asset if Nene is healthiest at the end of the season. However, as for being an asset on the court, that is only possible if Nene plays.

I get the implication of playing at a high level and providing leadership can be Nene's attributes. However, toughness and showing up won't ever be his strengths. I don't see how 60 games can make any player an asset when coaches plan on players being in uniform.

No matter how you rationalize this, Nene missing the start of preseason is the very time coaches need him the most. That's the time Beal could use him. If he's ready for the start of the regular season, great; but I think that is dubious at best. Preseason is the only time the team will get a lot of practice in before the long grind of the season begins. This is pretty crucial.
Bye bye Beal.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#47 » by Knighthonor » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:59 pm

Has anybody else notice the trend here lately in DC?

this same thing keeps happening to the Wizards, during each era.

Jerry-
Gil-
Lewis-
Nene-

wtf? seriously,,, some kind of conspiracy or something going on here. this same crap keep happening...
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#48 » by montestewart » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:18 pm

Knighthonor wrote:Has anybody else notice the trend here lately in DC?

Jerry-
Gil-
Lewis-
Nene-

wtf? seriously,,, some kind of conspiracy or something going on here. this same crap keep happening...

Who's Jerry?
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#49 » by closg00 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:45 pm

DCZards wrote:Man, I can't wait for the season to begin. As far as Nene vs. McGee: Nene may be more of an asset for the Zards--both on and off the court--playing 60-70 games than McGee would be playing 82 games.

60-70 games at what playing-capacity, 70-90% part-time? What caused Denver to flip Nene right after re-signing him, I can't think of another player that this has happened-to.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#50 » by hands11 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:46 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:DCZ, I think that is entirely possible that he can be more of an asset if Nene is healthiest at the end of the season. being. However, being an asset on the court, that is only possible if Nene plays.

I get the implication of playing at a high level and provide leadership can be Nene's attributes. However, toughness and showing up won't ever be his strengths. I don't see how 60 games can make any player an asset when coaches plan on players being in uniform.

No matter how you rationalize this, Nene missing the start of preseason is the very time coaches need him the most. That's the time Beal could use him. If he's ready for the start of the regular season, great; but I think that is dubious at best. Preseason is the only time the team will get a lot of practice in before the long grind of the season begins. This is pretty crucial.

He hit the ground running last year. Mixed right in instantly.

Not an issue.

The season is going to be here before we know it. So awesome. Looking forward to seeing the boys winning some games and playing well.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#51 » by hands11 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:49 pm

closg00 wrote:
DCZards wrote:Man, I can't wait for the season to begin. As far as Nene vs. McGee: Nene may be more of an asset for the Zards--both on and off the court--playing 60-70 games than McGee would be playing 82 games.

60-70 games at what playing-capacity, 70-90% part-time? What caused Denver to flip Nene right after re-signing him, I can't think of another player that this has happened-to.

Word on the street is he has a degenerative disease that is causing his cartridge to break down. Some say he could need a walker with in 3 years. So sad.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... ly_In_Camp

I hear Granger has the same thing. I think it is caused by women birth control in the water.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#52 » by DCZards » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:21 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:No matter how you rationalize this, Nene missing the start of preseason is the very time coaches need him the most. That's the time Beal could use him. If he's ready for the start of the regular season, great; but I think that is dubious at best. Preseason is the only time the team will get a lot of practice in before the long grind of the season begins. This is pretty crucial.

Nene is a vet. So I'm not worried about him missing training camp, especially if he can benefit from the rest. Plus, the Zards now have two more vet leaders--Okafor and Ariza-- to help guide youngins like Beal, Wall, Seraphin and Ves. Big difference from the days when our "vet" leaders were Blatche, McGee and Young.
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#53 » by DMVleGeND » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:35 am

montestewart wrote:
Knighthonor wrote:Has anybody else notice the trend here lately in DC?

Jerry-
Gil-
Lewis-
Nene-

Who's Jerry?

Stackhouse I assume.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#54 » by Nivek » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:58 am

payitforward wrote:
hands11 wrote:“He hasn’t had must time to rest this summer because of the commitment he had to his national team,” Grunfeld said of Nene, who missed a game in the Olympics because of soreness in his left foot. “So we’re going to be very, very cautious. We’re going to take it very slow with him and make sure he’s 100 percent when we put him out there full time.”.

Ummm, how much did he practice and play for his national team that caused him so little "time to rest?"

For that matter, how many minutes did he play for us? @ 280 minutes. How about for the Nuggets? 825 minutes.

How can *anybody* think there's no problem here?

hands11 wrote:...we get to see plenty of Booker, Ves and Kevin to start. Lets see what they have done in the off season. Give Nene all the rest he needs till he is 100% for sure.

Ves and Okafor
Booker and Kevin

or the other way around...?

How do you think they will do it?

Okafor will start at the 5. That's a downgrade from Nene in production.
Vesely will start at the 4. He ended the season well, but it's a question whether he's as productive as Booker. Not a huge difference in any case, and I'd expect them both to play lots of minutes, especially once Okafor is injured again or if he simply hasn't recovered completely from his previous injury by the start of the season.

Man what a GM we have!

Your problem seems to be a failure to use magical thinking.

Don't forget, these are the WIZARDS we're talking about.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#55 » by closg00 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:14 am

Participating in the annual prediction thread is going to be a tricky this year.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#56 » by The Rebel » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:50 am

hands11 wrote:
closg00 wrote:

Word on the street is he has a degenerative disease that is causing his cartridge to break down. Some say he could need a walker with in 3 years. So sad.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... ly_In_Camp

I hear Granger has the same thing. I think it is caused by women birth control in the water.

On a personal level it is sad the medical problems Nene has already had, if the degenerative thing is true then that is horrible. From everybody I have ever talked to Nene is a great guy that is good to everybody around him.

That being said, there are some things you should know about Nene, he started playing basketball at 16, he did not grow up around basketball and I believe he really does not love the game, he was supposedly a great soccer player when he was young, but got to big and so people convinced him to play basketball. A few years ago that Nuggets coaching staff almost begged Nene to stay in Denver and work on his game, he flat refused and went down to Brazil where he gained 30 pounds in one offseason, and most of that was not muscle. To me watching him and hearing about his habits, it seems to me that basketball is just a job to him.

that being said I still say Nene is possibly the most talented big in the NBA today, while his personality has never allowed him to be a true number 1 guy, the talent is there. And unlike many I believe he is very competitive, when he gets mad, or for many games against big names, he shows up and plays very well. He wants to be a superstar, and always has, unfortunately the injuries and lack of love of the game has always held him back.

As for the question in the earlier post, about why the Nuggets dumped Nene so quickly, I don't think it was an actual injury in why they dumped him, I think it was much more complicated. I get the impression that when they resigned him they were hoping to get the Nene they had at the end of the previous season, the guy who stepped up and led the team, while playing very well after the Melo trade. When they came back after the lockout Nene had reverted back to the old nene, the guy who still did not love basketball, the guy who would take his time coming back from injuries, and the guy who was still not a team leader. They had to move him as that attitude is the opposite of what they wanted around the team.
RealGM

Post#57 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:36 am

It is sad that Ernie damned Grunfeld didn't figure this out before the last second of the trade deadline last season.

This is like a broken record. The very first thing I thought about the trade is Denver had buyer's remorse and they know Nene won't play hurt, and he's going to continue to be out hurt. I said that last March.

Before he signed Gil I had a strong feeling, no, I was darn near positive he opted out because Arenas knew his body was breaking down. He opted out while having played nowhere near how he used to, and that Gil had alredady been through several knee surgeries. I thought, "Save the cap space and let him walk" because Arenas doesn't play defense on top of being broken down. It's a business foremost. The business move was to not assume the gigantic risk of Gil's health at that point.

With Nene, even before he became a Wizard, as a Denver Nugget, he missed many games for a variety of reasons. EVERYTHING said these are recurring injuries and this player WILL miss more games. That didn't stop EG from making the deal. The thing that was wrong with the deal was Nene's health over the life of the contract. That Nene cannot go at the start of his first full season with the Wizards is really bad news. Bad news that EG should have had an inkling could occur.

This is going to sound really bad, but I hope Nene is ready to go on opening night and that he drops 25 and 10 in a win. They need him to get off to a great start and TRADE HIM.
Bye bye Beal.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#58 » by willbcocks » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:15 am

I've been advocating a Nene trade since we made the Okafor deal. It makes a lot of sense if we can get a significant pick or prospect back and shed salary.
MDStar
Senior
And1: 94

Post#59 » by MDStar » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:59 pm

Man, it seems like a lot of overreaction in this thread. Veterans miss training camp all the time. It's not like he's been out completely since the end of last season. He played in the Olympics through the 1st part of August. That was only about a month and a half ago. Let the dude rest, get closer to 100% before going full bore, because we need him for 82 games, not just the start of training camp.

The team is just being cautious and I have no issues with that. Let the young ins get all the burn this month, they need it a lot more that Nene does.
Just let the young boys play! It's truly the only hope at this point.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#60 » by nate33 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:22 pm

Let's take a deep breath people. Nene missed an average of 4 games per season in the 3 years prior to last season.

Return to Washington Wizards