ImageImageImageImageImage

Nene

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Nene 

Post#81 » by hands11 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:19 pm

hands11 wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2012/10/19/nene-remains-uncertain-about-return/

“I was a little behind, than I thought,” Nene said, when explaining the reason for the treatment. “It’s still inflamed. I just want to take care of it the right way. But all the exercises, I’ve been doing fine. I’ve been listening. I’ve been obedient.”

“I’m getting there, man. I believe I’m making progress,” Nene said. “I just want to make sure I’m 100 percent because I don’t want this kind of injury again on a season.”

Sounded like from an early post I did that things were looking good. Now this one makes it more clear he won't be ready which is what some had feared.

First game is in 11 days. If it is still inflamed, that alone sounds like another two weeks min if they plan on really making sure everything is ok. I would think they would want it not inflamed for at least a week. Personally, I would want longer then that.

I'm kind of pissed he did the Olympics since he was injured. I understand why he wanted to do it but in doing it, he hurt the team that is paying him.

The key at this point is getting Kevin S back. If they can get him right, they may be able to buy some more time for Nene to get fully better while still treading water.

Fri, Nov 9 vs MIL at home is 3 weeks. Hopefully that is enough for him. He would only miss 3 games.

Phil said in the pregame that they are targeting Nene to return 1 week into the season. Well see but that is good information.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#82 » by Jimmy Recard » Thu Nov 1, 2012 12:46 pm

Update:

“I’m extremely mad right now,” Nene said. “But I need to calm down, talk to myself. When I see my teammates working hard out there, I want to be out there. I just don’t want that to influence my recovery.”

“I don’t know when I’m coming back,” Nene said. “Last year, I was at about 90 percent, and it [his foot] still hurt. If I come back too soon, I’ll have to sit down again, and I don’t want that.”

“I want to wait until I’m 100 percent,” Nene said. “I don’t want to come back early and have the same problem.”

“God brought me here,” Nene said. “You saw the stats when I got here. God used me to change things here, and that’s what made me happy. I know I’m supposed to be here. My place is here now — new team, new teammates, new friends, new start.”

“I knew at some point in my career I was going to be traded,” Nene said. “I knew it. Honestly, I did not think I was going to be in Denver forever. I believe God sent me somewhere else because that place is going to be better to me.”

“I’m an experienced guy,” Nene said. I’ve been through a lot of things on the court, off the court. I know if I come back 100 percent healthy, something good is gong to happen here.”

Honestly, i doubt he's back before December. :(

Full article: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -foothold/
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#83 » by closg00 » Thu Nov 1, 2012 12:52 pm

We bought a lemon, there should be some recourse in the NBA when something like this happens. I guess the bottom-line is buyer beware.

Does anyone recall from press accounts if a full medical was done on Nene to complete the trade deal? Is this medical clearance optional?
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#84 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Nov 1, 2012 1:36 pm

closg00 wrote:We bought a lemon, there should be some recourse in the NBA when something like this happens. I guess the bottom-line is buyer beware.

Does anyone recall from press accounts if a full medical was done on Nene to complete the trade deal? Is this medical clearance optional?

The Wizards might still be able to flip and trade to a desperate team. If they can find one as desperate as they were at last year's trade deadline.

In the past, another oft-injured, good player was traded. Antonio McDyess seemed to be damaged goods ten years ago, much like Nene is today. His GM, a guy I got to briefly speak to at Pete Newell's in 2002, managed to trade McDyess for Marcus Camby. Camby had a lot of good years with Denver after that deal. While he was at the Big Man Camp, I asked Kiki Vandeweghe how he managed to trade McDyess. Vandeweghe smiled and blushed with embarrassment. Dude knew he made a great trade. I bet a lot of GMs feel that way after trading with EG. They probably feel like they traded a Ford for a Lamborghini ….

closg00, Nene passed a physical before he suited up for the Wizards. The fact the physical took a while might have been a sign of things to come.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2012/3/18 ... vale-mcgee

It took long enough, but finally, Nene has passed his physical, according to Michael Lee of the Washington Post. That means that there is officially no way back. The three-way trade that sent JaVale McGee to Denver and Nick Young to the Clippers is now officially done.

Nene won't play tonight vs. Memphis, though.

I remember wondering if Nene really didn't want to be in DC. McGee had been on the ground, ready to go for Denver, but had to miss a game because of Nene. At the time I thought maybe it took a while for Nene to get situated, but now I wonder if that physical wasn't delayed.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#85 » by nate33 » Thu Nov 1, 2012 1:49 pm

Jimmy Recard wrote:Update:

“I’m extremely mad right now,” Nene said. “But I need to calm down, talk to myself. When I see my teammates working hard out there, I want to be out there. I just don’t want that to influence my recovery.”

“I don’t know when I’m coming back,” Nene said. “Last year, I was at about 90 percent, and it [his foot] still hurt. If I come back too soon, I’ll have to sit down again, and I don’t want that.”

“I want to wait until I’m 100 percent,” Nene said. “I don’t want to come back early and have the same problem.”

“God brought me here,” Nene said. “You saw the stats when I got here. God used me to change things here, and that’s what made me happy. I know I’m supposed to be here. My place is here now — new team, new teammates, new friends, new start.”

“I knew at some point in my career I was going to be traded,” Nene said. “I knew it. Honestly, I did not think I was going to be in Denver forever. I believe God sent me somewhere else because that place is going to be better to me.”

“I’m an experienced guy,” Nene said. I’ve been through a lot of things on the court, off the court. I know if I come back 100 percent healthy, something good is gong to happen here.”

Honestly, i doubt he's back before December. :(

Full article: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -foothold/

I view this as good news. It looks like Nene is 90% and could conceivably play right now, but the Wizards' medical staff is finally being responsible and not letting him play until he is 100%. I'd rather wait a full month and then have Nene play the rest of the season healthy, than have Nene start playing in a week but be in and out of games all season long due to a nagging injury.
closg00
RealGM

Post#86 » by closg00 » Thu Nov 1, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks for digging that up CCJ. I feel bad for Nene, he is a stand-up guy who wants to be on the floor.
Ernie allowing Nene to play in the Olympics is yet another fireable offense considering how he ended last season.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#87 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Nov 1, 2012 1:58 pm

If he is mad, that means he cares. I like Nene a lot. I spoke to him very briefly (think I got his autograph in a program guide of big man camp participants) the same day I spoke to Vandeweghe, 10 years ago. He couldn't speak English then but the man had tremendous charisma. My thought on meeting him was he would be a star.

I agree 100% with Nene. If he is blessed to heal completely something good is going to happen with the Wizards.

If a month off clears Nene's plantar fasciitis up, it will be the smartest decision the Wizards medical staff has made. I hope it works out well.
Bye bye Beal.
PeTBuLL
Bench Warmer
And1: 6

Post#88 » by PeTBuLL » Thu Nov 1, 2012 2:27 pm

I´m truly a big Nene´s fan, but he is heavily known as Mr. 100%, and ppl. in denver got fed up with him.
Nenê, brazilan tomahawk!
closg00
RealGM

Post#89 » by closg00 » Thu Nov 1, 2012 3:10 pm

PeTBuLL wrote:I´m truly a big Nene´s fan, but he is heavily known as Mr. 100%, and ppl. in denver got fed up with him.

What do you mean by Mr. %100?

Btw, Nene has had 3 months of rest and counting since the Olympics ended for the Brazil team.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#90 » by Dat2U » Thu Nov 1, 2012 3:23 pm

nate33 wrote:I view this as good news. It looks like Nene is 90% and could conceivably play right now, but the Wizards' medical staff is finally being responsible and not letting him play until he is 100%. I'd rather wait a full month and then have Nene play the rest of the season healthy, than have Nene start playing in a week but be in and out of games all season long due to a nagging injury.

Nothing about this is good. There's still no timetable for return and the season has already started. We have no idea when he's going to be ready to play. We don't know if he's 90% or not either and it sounds like this is more Nene's decision than the Wizards' medical staff.

I'd agree that it would be great to have him at 100%, but when will that be and who's to say he'll ever get there?

This trade is looking worse by the day. This is feeling like that Mark Price trade except Price wasn't signed for the next 4 years! If we wanted to get rid of Javale McGee that bad we could have traded him for something else or just let him go in free agency.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#91 » by Higga » Thu Nov 1, 2012 4:15 pm

Dat2U wrote:
nate33 wrote:I view this as good news. It looks like Nene is 90% and could conceivably play right now, but the Wizards' medical staff is finally being responsible and not letting him play until he is 100%. I'd rather wait a full month and then have Nene play the rest of the season healthy, than have Nene start playing in a week but be in and out of games all season long due to a nagging injury.

Nothing about this is good. There's still no timetable for return and the season has already started. We have no idea when he's going to be ready to play. We don't know if he's 90% or not either and it sounds like this is more Nene's decision than the Wizards' medical staff.

I'd agree that it would be great to have him at 100%, but when will that be and who's to say he'll ever get there?

This trade is looking worse by the day. This is feeling like that Mark Price trade except Price wasn't signed for the next 4 years! If we wanted to get rid of Javale McGee that bad we could have traded him for something else or just let him go in free agency.

Agreed. I don't see him back till December best case scenario.

Same old Wizards....
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
hands11
Banned User

Post#92 » by hands11 » Fri Nov 2, 2012 12:07 am

Looks like Kevin is going to be the first to return. Maybe even this Saturday.

Since getting Nene as much rest as possible up to 6 complete months is the medical goal, my guess is they want to see how much Kevin's return will helps so they are holding out on a Nene return date.

I suspect we hear something about Nene in the next game or two. Patience.

My guess has been Fri, Nov 9 for Nene. but I thought Kevin would return after him. Hearing that Kevin is ahead of schedule is a pleasant surprise. If his return changes the dynamics of what they can do enough via his post offense taking pressure off them having very little post offense without him, then they can wait longer for Nene so once he returns, there is less risk of him re-injuring the foot.
closg00
RealGM

Post#93 » by closg00 » Fri Nov 2, 2012 12:10 am

hands11 wrote:Looks like Kevin is going to be the first to return. Maybe even this Saturday.

Since getting Nene as much rest as possible up to 6 complete months is the medical goal, my guess is they want to see how much Kevin's return will helps so they are holding out on a Nene return date.

I suspect we hear something about Nene in the next game or two. Patience.

My guess has been Fri, Nov 9 for Nene. but I thought Kevin would return after him. Hearing that Kevin is ahead of schedule is a pleasant surprise. If his return changes the dynamics of what they can do enough via his post offense taking pressure off them having very little post office without him, then they can wait longer for Nene so once he returns, there is less risk of him re-injuring the foot.

When will you be changing your sig hands.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#94 » by payitforward » Fri Nov 2, 2012 1:56 am

hands11 wrote:...getting Nene as much rest as possible up to 6 complete months is the medical goal

You say this because Booker had 6 months? Or it's something you know from research on Plantar Fasciitis.
hands11 wrote:(Kevin's) return... taking pressure off them having very little post office without him.

:) Definitely the Wiz need to be better at playing Post Office!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
hands11
Banned User

Post#95 » by hands11 » Fri Nov 2, 2012 5:18 am

payitforward wrote:
hands11 wrote:...getting Nene as much rest as possible up to 6 complete months is the medical goal

You say this because Booker had 6 months? Or it's something you know from research on Plantar Fasciitis.
hands11 wrote:(Kevin's) return... taking pressure off them having very little post offense without him.

:) Definitely the Wiz need to be better at Post Offense !

I must have posted it in the depth chart thread. I thought it was in here.

6 month was something I read when doing research. That was the outside limit they said to get straight rest in order to heal it up. Surgery was not recommended because it can do more damage then good. Rest was the recommended treatment. It was after I learned this that I counted the months it took for Booker the get right which started somewhere around April or end of March till the preseason. About 6 months.

Video from Wittman today, says he is progressing. No set backs. Doing more and more in his rehab. But still no time table. Lets hope Kevin comes back soon and that helps them get a win. Getting some wins will buy them more time on Nene. If they end up 0-3 after back to back Boston games, there will be more pressure to get him back earlier then later. With this kind of injury, I want later. More rest is better longer term. The closer they can get him to 4 months straight rest the better. 6 months isn't going to happen at this point. He blow that playing in the Olympics.

http://www.nba.com/wizards/video/2012/1 ... p4-2273443

closg00
RealGM

Post#96 » by closg00 » Fri Nov 2, 2012 11:27 am

Nene assumed his normal position Thursday after the Washington Wizards ended practice: He grabbed a seat along the baseline of the court, pulled off his left shoe, pulled his sock halfway off until it hung off his toes, then placed his heel on a bag of ice.

Still dealing with a nagging case of plantar fasciitis that has kept him sidelined since the conclusion of the London Olympics in August and cost him 10 games near the end of last season, Nene isn’t where he nor the Wizards would like with the season already underway.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... story.html

Nene Watch :(
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#97 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Nov 2, 2012 1:19 pm

And the annoying thing is he didn't help his Olympic team all that much because the pf flared up on him in the middle of it.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#98 » by FAH1223 » Fri Nov 2, 2012 3:24 pm

Nene did this in Denver... I'm 100% sure he can play right now but he always takes his sweet time.

I don't see him being back full time until February. He may play at the end of this month or December but it'll be for a few games and then he'll be shut down again.

In other words, we shouldn't expect much from Nene this year. Looks like we got shafted in a trade, again.
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#99 » by Soup's Uncle » Fri Nov 2, 2012 3:29 pm

Nothing like an aging, oft-injured big man.
F Street = Wall Street
closg00
RealGM

Post#100 » by closg00 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 1:05 am

Nene has been resting since August, is he any close to returning?

Return to Washington Wizards