ImageImageImageImageImage

Nene

Moderators: LyricalRico, WizStorm, pineappleheadindc, nate33, miller31time

User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 15,685
And1: 335
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: Nene 

Post#121 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:32 pm

A trip down memory lane if you have the stomach for it.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1168914
Guys on a message board could do a better job managing the Wizards than Ernie Grunfeld.
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 15,685
And1: 335
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: Nene 

Post#122 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:32 pm

iPhone fail, sorry
Guys on a message board could do a better job managing the Wizards than Ernie Grunfeld.
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 15,685
And1: 335
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: Nene 

Post#123 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:32 pm

DP
Guys on a message board could do a better job managing the Wizards than Ernie Grunfeld.
User avatar
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,865
And1: 97
Joined: Feb 15, 2012

Re: Nene 

Post#124 » by Knighthonor » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:36 pm

closg00 wrote:A trip down memory lane if you have the stomach for it.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1168914

Is this your way of saying "I told you so"?
padovani31
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 1
Joined: Dec 22, 2006

Re: Nene 

Post#125 » by padovani31 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:12 pm

Nene will kick all asses. I am new over here, but all the topics that i read, it ´s clear that most part of Wizards fans are loser minded and complain for everithing.
User avatar
rockymac52
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,824
And1: 73
Joined: Dec 14, 2006

Re: Nene 

Post#126 » by rockymac52 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:43 pm

For those of you saying Nene shouldn't have played for Brazil in the Olympics, and that if he sat out the Olympics he could have been healthy (like Booker) by the start of the season, consider this...

If Trevor Booker had a shot to play for the US Olympic team this summer, but it would have meant playing injured and not getting sufficient rest to be ready for the start of the NBA season, would you have been mad if he chose to play in the Olympics?

I get that our personal priority as fans is the Wizards team, not the Olympic team. And the players do get paid to be NBA players, not Olympic players, but come on. It's perhaps a once in a lifetime opportunity, and a great honor. You can't blame a player for choosing to play in the Olympics.
User avatar
MJ7
Sophomore
Posts: 207
And1: 3
Joined: Jul 03, 2010
 

Re: Nene 

Post#127 » by MJ7 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:24 pm

padovani31 wrote:Nene will kick all asses. I am new over here, but all the topics that i read, it ´s clear that most part of Wizards fans are loser minded and complain for everithing.

We haven't made the playoffs since 2008. Losing is your strength.
Image
Wizard/MJ fan
blazinskillz
Junior
Posts: 340
And1: 20
Joined: Jan 04, 2009
Contact:

Re: Nene 

Post#128 » by blazinskillz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:06 pm

padovani31 wrote:Nene will kick all asses. I am new over here, but all the topics that i read, it ´s clear that most part of Wizards fans are loser minded and complain for everithing.

I agree. It's disgusting. I made a thread on this very topic. If you're gonna root to lose, why even post? Almost as worse as the people who complain about the president, but themselves, not even vote.
User avatar
rockymac52
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,824
And1: 73
Joined: Dec 14, 2006

Re: Nene 

Post#129 » by rockymac52 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:13 pm

blazinskillz wrote:
padovani31 wrote:Nene will kick all asses. I am new over here, but all the topics that i read, it ´s clear that most part of Wizards fans are loser minded and complain for everithing.

I agree. It's disgusting. I made a thread on this very topic. If you're gonna root to lose, why even post? Almost as worse as the people who complain about the president, but themselves, not even vote.


There's plenty of pessimism amongst Wizards fans here and across the Internets, and for good reason, considering what we've gone through in the last decade (and more). But there's also plenty of optimism, if not homerism to be found. Some people (myself included) are often found on both extremes.

But for the most part, we're just sharing our thoughts on the organization's moves, past, present, and future. We all want the same, one thing in the end - a Washington Wizards championship (or two, or three, etc.) We want to see our team get to that level, and we have thoughts on how to do so. So we share them. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't think people are rooting to lose, at all. There may come a time where it's far enough into the season that the playoffs are out of reach, and certain people would prefer to see the Wizards lose, but that's only in hopes of gaining ping pong balls and increasing the chances of having a higher draft pick - and ultimately helping the Wizards get the best player possible. Some people refuse to root against their team, even if it's for a better draft pick. That's admirable. It's a hot debate topic. But don't be fooled by all of the pessimism about this team, we all still want to see the Wizards run the table in the next 77 games.
blazinskillz
Junior
Posts: 340
And1: 20
Joined: Jan 04, 2009
Contact:

Re: Nene 

Post#130 » by blazinskillz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:32 pm

rockymac52 wrote:
blazinskillz wrote:
padovani31 wrote:Nene will kick all asses. I am new over here, but all the topics that i read, it ´s clear that most part of Wizards fans are loser minded and complain for everithing.

I agree. It's disgusting. I made a thread on this very topic. If you're gonna root to lose, why even post? Almost as worse as the people who complain about the president, but themselves, not even vote.


There's plenty of pessimism amongst Wizards fans here and across the Internets, and for good reason, considering what we've gone through in the last decade (and more). But there's also plenty of optimism, if not homerism to be found. Some people (myself included) are often found on both extremes.

But for the most part, we're just sharing our thoughts on the organization's moves, past, present, and future. We all want the same, one thing in the end - a Washington Wizards championship (or two, or three, etc.) We want to see our team get to that level, and we have thoughts on how to do so. So we share them. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't think people are rooting to lose, at all. There may come a time where it's far enough into the season that the playoffs are out of reach, and certain people would prefer to see the Wizards lose, but that's only in hopes of gaining ping pong balls and increasing the chances of having a higher draft pick - and ultimately helping the Wizards get the best player possible. Some people refuse to root against their team, even if it's for a better draft pick. That's admirable. It's a hot debate topic. But don't be fooled by all of the pessimism about this team, we all still want to see the Wizards run the table in the next 77 games.



I've seen posts, 3 games in, telling us to tank. I feel like, if you're here to support...you're here to support. Yeah FO has been terrible, yeah Ernie should prolly be let go, yeah the past hasnt looked so good but at least the wizards has tried to change it's culture. This may be wrong but, the way I look at the wizards, is like knowing someone that's developmental disabled, and watching them compete. It's not their fault, that they are like this(the players). I root for the players cause I know it's not their fault that the team has been made up this way.
User avatar
hands11
RealGM
Posts: 29,717
And1: 2,207
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Nene 

Post#131 » by hands11 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:34 pm

blazinskillz wrote:
padovani31 wrote:Nene will kick all asses. I am new over here, but all the topics that i read, it ´s clear that most part of Wizards fans are loser minded and complain for everithing.

I agree. It's disgusting. I made a thread on this very topic. If you're gonna root to lose, why even post? Almost as worse as the people who complain about the president, but themselves, not even vote.


I like these two :D

Glad to see some new blood joining the board.
Step by Step - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1269473&start=45&p=36843686&view=show#p36843686" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul Pierce is not only THE TRUTH.. HE IS FREAKN YODA
User avatar
rockymac52
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,824
And1: 73
Joined: Dec 14, 2006

Re: Nene 

Post#132 » by rockymac52 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:42 pm

blazinskillz wrote:I've seen posts, 3 games in, telling us to tank. I feel like, if you're here to support...you're here to support. Yeah FO has been terrible, yeah Ernie should prolly be let go, yeah the past hasnt looked so good but at least the wizards has tried to change it's culture. This may be wrong but, the way I look at the wizards, is like knowing someone that's developmental disabled, and watching them compete. It's not their fault, that they are like this(the players). I root for the players cause I know it's not their fault that the team has been made up this way.


We root for the players, as individual human beings, as well. Even the ones that drive us crazy (see: McGee, Young, etc.). Blatche is probably the only guy we've really hated around here, and he brought that upon himself.

We know to a certain extent that it's not the player's fault, or the coach's fault, and we want them to do well. But while we're all huge Wizards fans that want to see our team and its players do well, we also are highly critical at times of players, coaches, GMs, and owners, for the same reason - we want to see our team do well. If it's not, we demand better. If, like you said, the Wizards are developmentally disabled (which gave me a good laugh, BTW), then something needs to change. We all know this. We don't want to keep clapping our hands promoting the same old same old we've being seeing for years, we want change, and we want to vocalize it.
User avatar
hands11
RealGM
Posts: 29,717
And1: 2,207
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Nene 

Post#133 » by hands11 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:12 am

rockymac52 wrote:
blazinskillz wrote:I've seen posts, 3 games in, telling us to tank. I feel like, if you're here to support...you're here to support. Yeah FO has been terrible, yeah Ernie should prolly be let go, yeah the past hasnt looked so good but at least the wizards has tried to change it's culture. This may be wrong but, the way I look at the wizards, is like knowing someone that's developmental disabled, and watching them compete. It's not their fault, that they are like this(the players). I root for the players cause I know it's not their fault that the team has been made up this way.


We root for the players, as individual human beings, as well. Even the ones that drive us crazy (see: McGee, Young, etc.). Blatche is probably the only guy we've really hated around here, and he brought that upon himself.

We know to a certain extent that it's not the player's fault, or the coach's fault, and we want them to do well. But while we're all huge Wizards fans that want to see our team and its players do well, we also are highly critical at times of players, coaches, GMs, and owners, for the same reason - we want to see our team do well. If it's not, we demand better. If, like you said, the Wizards are developmentally disabled (which gave me a good laugh, BTW), then something needs to change. We all know this. We don't want to keep clapping our hands promoting the same old same old we've being seeing for years, we want change, and we want to vocalize it.


Rock

While all that sounds like a good explanation rationalization, you have to admit... to someone who is visiting for the first time or even reading for a long time, the board is preprogramed to jump off the cliff at the first sign of something negative happening. When something happens, it automatically get turned into everything bad that has happened the last 10 years and there is a gang of posters that envy in being the first to jump of the cliff because for some, that is a badge of honor.

I guess I was lucky. I started reading the board when the Wizards were in or heading to the playoffs. Funny thing is, that's when I was skeptical. I didn't believe in the model they were building with Abe as owner, Gil as PG, AJ at PF and EFJ as the head coach that Abe picked before he hired EG.

As challenging as things seem right now, I would take this owner, team and head coach and rebuild approach over that group because I think this rebuild has legs to grow in a more sound fashion. Sure, right now it sucks but Wall will be back soon enough. They are doing the right thing by not rushing him back. And even though I'm pissed at Nene for playing in the Olympics, resting him until healthy is the right move as well. And once they are ready to play again, I trust that Randy will no over play them to the point of re-injury just to save his job. Why, because I believe Ted is on board with letting them heal. I don't think Ted will blink and fire Randy during this process of them healing. I don't see him as selling out today for tomorrow.

Sure there is some combination of things that could happen that would lead to either a EG or a Randy firing, but I think that leash is long. Most likely, both are here for the duration of their contracts which is two years which is what I wanted to see happen. I think Ted walks into this stuff with his eyes open. He doesn't strike me as someone that will overreact. I'm sure he got the Nene news well before we did. He knows they would struggle without Wall and Nene. Hell, Ted is so non panic that he hasn't even brought in Livingston yet.

This year is a year of developing core young pieces ( Wall and Beal mostly ) and evaluating the progress of the other ones Kevin, Ves, Singleton, etc, etc. This team was not designed to be a sure playoff team. That is what they want for next year. This year, they expect to be better, develop and evaluate what to keep. That is what I have read from Teds statements.

Nene really only needs to be totally healthy by next year. That is the playoff run team. So I think they rest him this year and get what they can. Then if needed, he has surgery at some point and comes back healed for a push over the next 2-3 years.

I think they will do what is needed to stick to that plan. Hopefully rest is all Nene needs right now. Same with Wall. If not, some of these younger players have to step it up. If not, Ted will take another decently high pick and keep loading.
Step by Step - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1269473&start=45&p=36843686&view=show#p36843686" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul Pierce is not only THE TRUTH.. HE IS FREAKN YODA
payitforward
Analyst
Posts: 3,398
And1: 523
Joined: May 02, 2012

Re: Nene 

Post#134 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:21 pm

blazinskillz wrote:...the way I look at the wizards, is like knowing someone that's developmental disabled, and watching them compete....

Of course it would be wrong to laugh at this comparison, as it might be taken to represent a laugh at disabled people. So I won't laugh.

Still... that's an amazing new way to look at the Wizards, and I welcome it.
People say I'm mellowing with age. Nah.

It is still not possible to formulate a counter-argument -- even if I say... Is so!
User avatar
rockymac52
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,824
And1: 73
Joined: Dec 14, 2006

Re: Nene 

Post#135 » by rockymac52 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:08 pm

http://washingtonexaminer.com/nene-retu ... Kacf4Wk2uI

After sitting out training camp and the first two weeks of the season with a plantar fasciitis injury in his left foot, Wizards center Nene returned to the practice floor for the first time on Friday.

At the end of practice he sat at the side of the Verizon Center practice court with substantial ice packs on both knees – a sign that he was working and of how long it has been since he last participated.

“He got on the floor a little bit today and did some stuff, halfcourt stuff that we were doing,” Wizards coach Randy Wittman said. “He took another step forward today.”


Finally, some positive news.

Although it does leave me a bit curious. We were told that Nene just needed to rest in order to fully recover from his injury. Well, if he's practicing, he's not resting. And if he's not resting, then he might as well be playing in games. Hopefully this means he's real close to a return, and he's just getting his muscles moving on the court again as a tuneup.
User avatar
Nivek
Head Coach
Posts: 7,406
And1: 956
Joined: Sep 29, 2010
Contact:
         

Re: Nene 

Post#136 » by Nivek » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:10 pm

There's a bit of a difference between doing some halfcourt stuff and playing in games. No rush.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
User avatar
truwizfan4evr
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,845
And1: 44
Joined: Jul 07, 2008
Location: tanking

Re: Nene 

Post#137 » by truwizfan4evr » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:33 pm

Nene practice with wizards today but had ice bags on his knees.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
User avatar
dandridge 10
Starter
Posts: 2,324
And1: 280
Joined: Feb 16, 2005

Re: Nene 

Post#138 » by dandridge 10 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:35 pm

hands11 wrote:
blazinskillz wrote:
padovani31 wrote:Nene will kick all asses. I am new over here, but all the topics that i read, it ´s clear that most part of Wizards fans are loser minded and complain for everithing.

I agree. It's disgusting. I made a thread on this very topic. If you're gonna root to lose, why even post? Almost as worse as the people who complain about the president, but themselves, not even vote.


I like these two :D

Glad to see some new blood joining the board.


Well, if you guys just want to see all rainbows and kittens, why don't you just stick to the optimism thread and spare yourself of all the "disgusting" postings.
User avatar
Nivek
Head Coach
Posts: 7,406
And1: 956
Joined: Sep 29, 2010
Contact:
         

Re: Nene 

Post#139 » by Nivek » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:49 pm

truwizfan4evr wrote:Nene practice with wizards today but had ice bags on his knees.


I don't even know why this got reported. Ice on knees is common for NBA players -- especially guys 30 and over.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Zonkerbl
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 3,911
And1: 334
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Nene 

Post#140 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:14 pm

It means he actually put in some serious work and wasn't just shooting free throws or whatever.
Comparing Rose to Wall is like asking which is a more impressive cat: A cheetah or a wolf? Dude, Wall ain’t no damn cat!

Return to Washington Wizards