ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Random Thoughts Thread - Part 3

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: Official Random Thoughts Thread - Part 3 

Post#341 » by Nivek » Wed Oct 3, 2012 3:26 pm

Watched "Last Resort" and...it hooked me. The showrunner is Shawn Ryan, who's been around for awhile. He has writer/producer/executive producer/showrunner credits for Nash Bridges (bleh), Angel, The Shield, The Unit, Lie to Me (good start, but went full-on train wreck), Terriers and The Chicago Code.

Revolution -- I'm giving it another week or two, but I'm close to letting it drop from the rotation.

Warehouse 13 are in full train wreck mode. One episode worse than the next. Can't imagine I'll be watching this thing again.

First episode of Elementary (Sherlock Holmes reboot) was good. It's basically the same character/show as The Mentalist, Psych, Monk, Columbo, etc. Still good, though.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#342 » by Higga » Wed Oct 3, 2012 4:32 pm

ESPN The Magazine is doing an issue with nothing but D.C. sports content.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc- ... d-c-issue/
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#343 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 3, 2012 4:57 pm

Nivek wrote:Watched "Last Resort" and...it hooked me. The showrunner is Shawn Ryan, who's been around for awhile. He has writer/producer/executive producer/showrunner credits for Nash Bridges (bleh), Angel, The Shield, The Unit, Lie to Me (good start, but went full-on train wreck), Terriers and The Chicago Code.

Revolution -- I'm giving it another week or two, but I'm close to letting it drop from the rotation.

Warehouse 13 are in full train wreck mode. One episode worse than the next. Can't imagine I'll be watching this thing again.

First episode of Elementary (Sherlock Holmes reboot) was good. It's basically the same character/show as The Mentalist, Psych, Monk, Columbo, etc. Still good, though.

I'll have to watch Last Resort - since most of the stuff you recommend turns out to be stuff I like. Plus, I was thinking the same thing about Lie to Me - what a disappointment after a great start.

You mentioned The Mentalist. I hadn't watched it at all until recently, because it looked like the kind of copycat formulaic show that generally puts me to sleep. And it is formulaic and copycat, but it hooked me. The 2 lead actors are really good, and it's got a sense of humor. Thanks to the magic of OnDemand and reruns, I think I watched every episode.

Speaking of OnDemand, they showed the 1st 2 episodes of Homeland - that's outstanding TV, but I'm too cheap to buy Showtime. Clair Daines (sp?) is amazing.

Is it just me, or does AMC put out the best serieses?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#344 » by LyricalRico » Wed Oct 3, 2012 4:59 pm

Nivek wrote:First episode of Elementary (Sherlock Holmes reboot) was good. It's basically the same character/show as The Mentalist, Psych, Monk, Columbo, etc. Still good, though.

Missed the premier, but wanted to give it a chance if only see Lucy Liu for 40 minutes a week. :)

Nice to know it was good. I'm a huge Psych fan, so if this is anything similar it should make the rotation.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#345 » by Nivek » Wed Oct 3, 2012 5:09 pm

AMC does put on a great series. Can't wait for the new Walking Dead season, which premieres on the 14th.

I also liked Rubicon, but apparently I was the only one. They cancelled it after the first season.

I avoided The Mentalist for much the same reason. Caught a re-run and it kinda hooked me. I'm a sucker for detective stories, though. I've been reading/watching genius detectives basically my whole life. Hercule Poirot, Sherlock Holmes, Miss Marple, Phillip Marlowe, Sam Spade, Spenser, the Hardy boys... If you like The Mentalist, you'll probably like Bones.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#346 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 3, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm actually not a Bones fan. It's a little too soft and fluffy for me. Maybe if it had a Red John type character, I'd like it. I did like David Boreanaz in Buffy and Angel. Speaking of Angel and Mad Men (almost), I must have been the last fan of both shows to realize that David Kartheiser (sp?) played Angel's son.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#347 » by Nivek » Wed Oct 3, 2012 5:41 pm

Ruzious wrote:I'm actually not a Bones fan. It's a little too soft and fluffy for me. Maybe if it had a Red John type character, I'd like it. I did like David Boreanaz in Buffy and Angel. Speaking of Angel and Mad Men (almost), I must have been the last fan of both shows to realize that David Kartheiser (sp?) played Angel's son.

Not the last. I didn't know it until I just read your post.

Bones had a Red John-ish character last season. Guy was a creepy tech genius. Did stuff like etch a program into a bone so that it would destroy the computer system when it was scanned into the system. I think it's ready to wind down, though. Booth and Bones are together as a couple, and that's the thing that pretty much signaled the end of a bunch of other shows.

One show that might draw higher ratings if the cop/detective partners got together romantically: Rizzoli and Isles.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Higga
Lead Assistant

Post#348 » by Higga » Fri Oct 5, 2012 6:39 pm

Love the Friday before a long weekend. :)
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 251

Post#349 » by gesa2 » Fri Oct 5, 2012 7:03 pm

pancakes3 wrote:A side of the internet that you rarely see:

http://jezebel.com/5946643/reddit-users ... y-schooled

Thanks for posting that pancakes! I'm going to send the link to my teenage daughters.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#350 » by fishercob » Tue Oct 9, 2012 6:24 pm

Touching Meyers Leonard video. I hope he does well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiFh9DJJpPM[/youtube]
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Higga
Lead Assistant

Post#351 » by Higga » Tue Oct 9, 2012 8:11 pm

Damn it got cold quick. Thankfully it'll be warmer for the Nats game tomorrow.
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#352 » by MF23 » Tue Oct 9, 2012 9:05 pm

Watched the first episodes of Last Resort. The stuff off the island in a word sucks.

Boardwalk Empire is boring and predictable.

BBC's Copper has a lot of potential but the main character needs to be written a little better. Good but it could be a great show.

Boss is solid and great at times.

Homeland is the best show on right now.

Had a chance to watch the first episode of Dexter and they are finally moving the story along.

Did I hear a Pete Campbell mention? Favorite character on tv.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#353 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 9, 2012 10:33 pm

MF23 wrote:Did I hear a Pete Campbell mention? Favorite character on tv.

You did, indeed - in a manner of speaking. He makes my skin crawl, so he must be good. Btw, the actress who plays his wife also stars on Community - another one of my favorite shows.
Higga
Lead Assistant

Post#354 » by Higga » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:31 pm

The Jayson Werth walk off is the talk all over town. What a game, what an ending.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#355 » by Nivek » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:20 pm

Do yourself a favor and get thee to the Kennedy Center to check out Don Giovanni. Saw a dress rehearsal last night, and...umm...WOW. That Mozart guy wasn't bad at musical composition.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#356 » by dobrojim » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:41 pm

hey Kev,

my daughters are both crazy about Riz&Ilses and both really want them to get romantic
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#357 » by Nivek » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:14 pm

New season of The Walking Dead debuted last night. The main character group attempts to take over a prison filled with zombies. Several "oh ****" moments, including when they encounter zombies in full police riot gear. Thought it was a very good opening to the new season.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,184

Post#358 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:35 pm

Nivek wrote:New season of The Walking Dead debuted last night. The main character group attempts to take over a prison filled with zombies. Several "oh ****" moments, including when they encounter zombies in full police riot gear. Thought it was a very good opening to the new season.

Oh, yay!
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#359 » by closg00 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:45 pm

Thoughts on the current Groupon special on Wiz tix?
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Post#360 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:27 pm

Somebody tell Flav that shirt is bad luck!

Then:

May 2, 2011 Mug Shot

and Now:

October 17, 2012 Mug Shot

Dude doesn't even need a clock to make a fashion statement. I wonder if he went into his closet and pulled that Tee Shirt out of his Smack Up collection?
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards