ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Random Thoughts Thread - Part 3

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: Official Random Thoughts Thread - Part 3 

Post#61 » by Nivek » Wed May 2, 2012 12:35 pm

Why exactly do fire extinguishers need to be in glass-fronted cases?
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
MDStar
Senior
And1: 94

Post#62 » by MDStar » Wed May 2, 2012 12:45 pm

Nivek wrote:Why exactly do fire extinguishers need to be in glass-fronted cases?

I think because the glass is supposed to be fire proof, so that it protects the extinguisher from exploding if the fire consumed they area. Not sure but that's what I've always thought.
Just let the young boys play! It's truly the only hope at this point.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#63 » by montestewart » Wed May 2, 2012 8:54 pm

MDStar wrote:
Nivek wrote:Why exactly do fire extinguishers need to be in glass-fronted cases?

I think because the glass is supposed to be fire proof, so that it protects the extinguisher from exploding if the fire consumed they area. Not sure but that's what I've always thought.

well now here's a whole discussion on that very subject, filled with reasonable sounding explanations
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 630AAlxgpT

The broken glass seems like an additional hazard, but compared to fire, maybe not so bad.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#64 » by montestewart » Wed May 2, 2012 9:02 pm

Junior Seau dead of reported suicide
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... 6GhAL_hNXY
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#65 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 2, 2012 9:07 pm

When someone commits suicide it is too late for them.

For those who have been close to someone who has committed suicide, they have to live with the terrible pain. Their painful experiences of losing someone dear is crushing. The loss of that loved one who meant so much to the much to them can leave all kinds of trauma.

My purpose is to speak to someone who thinks they no longer matter. The thought of killing one's self comes at a time when that person cannot see how much they do matter. Hopelessness of failed expectations, financial loss, loss of family particularly in divorce cases, chronic pain, addiction, mental stress, and drugged out thoughts can be reasons for suicide. Sometimes it is rejection. Sometimes it is because of loneliness. And there are still others who want to leave the rest in a way that says, "I'll show you, get along without me."

Today I learned about Junior Seau's death. I would not dare venture to interject my opinions or feelings on his situation. I don't want to pass judgment. Just want to say that I am very sad because I KNOW some people are REALLY HURTING today.

I've seen his picture and his name in the back of the windshield of the car of one of his family members who lives nearby, many times. They are so proud of him. They love him. I have seen SO MANY Seau SD Charger jerseys everywhere. (One day at a military air terminal I had my Darry Green jersey and I had a conversation with a guy in a Seau Jersey.) That man, Junior Seau, is loved. This is a terrible thing that happened.

I am really hurt and really angry, too.

Life can really kick your butt at times. It really hurts if you're like me and you're at times your own worst enemy or your own biggest critic. Going through illness, divorce, betrayal, lies, your own consistent and persistent failures, custody battles, self loathing, and depression can get the best of anyone.

I hope to find out Junior was murdered and somebody gets prosecuted for it. That will bring closure faster. Or, I hope those left will have the Peace of God that Junior must not have been able to see in his last moments. I feel angry because we sometimes can be isolated by choice, or we carry inner shame, or we have people DO US DIRTY to the point we want to end it. I'm mad because that was a good man.

No a great man.

All I will say from here out is life is not always fair and sometimes things seem unbearable. Regardless, FIGHT on. Cheer somebody else up when you're going through it. Humble yourself to accept the possibility that you can lose it all and still have joy.

I hope I didn't offend anyone or assume anything about his death. I hope people remember to stay in touch with their loved ones, OFTEN. You never know who needs encouragement.

If Junior had been reminded and convinced of just how loved he was, and how respected he was, and HOW MUCH HE WILL BE MISSED then he could have taken his eyes off his own pain, if that was the cause of his death.

Or, if his injuries led to a depression that mad his moods so low, there's got to be a better way to monitor that. If they can monitor vital signs, there needs to be depression meter.

Anyway, I feel for his family. RIP Junior Seau

Last, if you are depressed, remember that person who smiles at you. You probably are not fully aware of how fond they are of you. Pain can make you want to escape. LOVE makes you fight the good fight and live through your days. No, things might suck. You might be broke, busted, disgusted, guilty as charged, ashamed, and your SO CALLED FRIENDS are the main ones you can't find.

For me, it's been great living on. I could have been gone in 1995. I could have been dead a couple times since. I've been so down at times over the years but the thing that has really been encouraging to me is God's Word and more, what my testimony of Life through him has done for me and people I have passed the same message of hope and Good News to.

You might tell a person you'd miss their smile if they chose to die, and they might encouraged to live on. The people who laugh with you love you in their little time with you. Your influence on others is POSITIVE. Live on one day at a time.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,299

Post#66 » by nate33 » Wed May 2, 2012 9:24 pm

They don't need to be. It is sufficient to hang them on a hook or bracket. However, if they are in a high traffic area, it is necessary to put them in a wall recess or somehow protect them from damage. The cabinet doors are made of glass because it is also necessary to ensure that the extinguishers are readily visible.
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#67 » by MF23 » Wed May 2, 2012 11:42 pm

My god, Junior Seau's mom talking to the media was tough to watch. Rest in peace.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#68 » by verbal8 » Fri May 4, 2012 4:30 pm

I didn't want to sidetrack the discussion of Summer League in the free agent thread.

But I followed the link to the quote from Jordan Crawford's comment about summer league:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... _blog.html

From there I ended up following a link back to a story about the Cavs/Wizards play off series and found this:

Now Jay-Z is saying something bad about Stevenson. I guess DeShawn won't be playing for the New Jersey Nets any time soon, huh?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/wizardsi ... awn_f.html
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#69 » by miller31time » Fri May 4, 2012 5:59 pm

Go see "The Avengers".

Seriously.

Go see it.

Why are you still reading this post.

GO NOW!!!!!!
RealGM

Post#70 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat May 5, 2012 4:18 am

miller31time wrote:Go see "The Avengers".

Seriously.

Go see it.

Why are you still reading this post.

GO NOW!!!!!!

Literally was about to check the local showtimes here in HI. My 10-yr old asked to see it. We will, miller.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#71 » by closg00 » Sun May 6, 2012 12:33 am

Took my son to see The Avengers in 3D IMAX and it didn't disappoint. Even with today's high-end TV sets, there is no-way to recreate that kind of experience at home. Great 3D IMAX experience.
RealGM

Post#72 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun May 6, 2012 12:55 pm

closg00 wrote:Took my son to see The Avengers in 3D IMAX and it didn't disappoint. Even with today's high-end TV sets, there is no-way to recreate that kind of experience at home. Great 3D IMAX experience.

We went to see it, too. My 10-yr old said it was the best ever. I agree. I loved pretty much everything about the movie. closg, my 12-yr old, likes Spiderman and he loved Real Steel, so he only rates Avengers in his top-3. That kid is nuts. :lol:

One thing I noticed is I've NEVER seen a movie fill so many seats so fast. This one is going to smash the box office numbers.

We didn't see in 3D, but since you mentioned it, I think I will go back for the 3D IMax! That movie rocks.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM

Post#73 » by closg00 » Sun May 6, 2012 1:27 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
closg00 wrote:Took my son to see The Avengers in 3D IMAX and it didn't disappoint. Even with today's high-end TV sets, there is no-way to recreate that kind of experience at home. Great 3D IMAX experience.

We went to see it, too. My 10-yr old said it was the best ever. I agree. I loved pretty much everything about the movie. closg, my 12-yr old, likes Spiderman and he loved Real Steel, so he only rates Avengers in his top-3. That kid is nuts. :lol:

One thing I noticed is I've NEVER seen a movie fill so many seats so fast. This one is going to smash the box office numbers.

We didn't see in 3D, but since you mentioned it, I think I will go back for the 3D IMax! That movie rocks.

Ah-man, how could you have not seen-in at-least 3D? Your son is a tough critic :)
closg00
RealGM

Post#74 » by closg00 » Sun May 6, 2012 1:30 pm

:o Good Lord! Nicki Minaj is Bootylicious , didn't know :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeIJmciN8mo

Sorry for the Vevo.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#75 » by fishercob » Mon May 7, 2012 8:17 pm

I like soccer, but don't watch it all that much or follow it closely -- so I don't have an intimate understanding of the game. Can someone explain to me why Leo Messi is so good?
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
fugop
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#76 » by fugop » Mon May 7, 2012 8:42 pm

I saw Avengers in matinee today. Someone brought two infants into the theater; they cried through the whole movie.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,341

Post#77 » by doclinkin » Tue May 8, 2012 12:12 am

fishercob wrote:I like soccer, but don't watch it all that much or follow it closely -- so I don't have an intimate understanding of the game. Can someone explain to me why Leo Messi is so good?

Rephrase: you mean what are his accomplishments and why he is considered good? Or what are the skills he possesses that make him better than everybody else.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#78 » by doclinkin » Tue May 8, 2012 12:13 am

fugop wrote:I saw Avengers in matinee today. Someone brought two infants into the theater; they cried through the whole movie.

Sure it wasn't a couple of fanboys?
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#79 » by doclinkin » Tue May 8, 2012 12:30 am

doclinkin wrote:
fishercob wrote:I like soccer, but don't watch it all that much or follow it closely -- so I don't have an intimate understanding of the game. Can someone explain to me why Leo Messi is so good?

Rephrase: you mean what are his accomplishments and why he is considered good? Or what are the skills he possesses that make him better than everybody else.

If the latter:

Processing speed of his software is faster than everyone else. He sees the angle before you do and has remarkable accuracy in shaving it to exactly where it needs to be for you to miss on defense and him to fire it in. Not the strongest leg but a quick foot with minimal wind-up needed to power it where he wants it go.

A poker face, he knows how to fake you with subtle shifts, not flashy but he'll get you guessing wrong on a PK and seemingly knows which way you're going to guess. Has every kick in his repertoire needed, to dink it over your head or hit it wrongfooted so it comes off at a different angle than expected.

He's economical and super efficient more than unbelievably athletic. Great athlete, fast as a cockroach, seemingly having more legs than his defender when running on a breakaway, but not full of wobbles and flair like the classic Brazilian supertalents. Handles nice, but more than anything his genius is in that bullettime superslow-mo when there's nothing between him and the goal but a few incidental defenders and bystanders. He just gets it there.

Here, there's a sequence from 4:00 to 4:30 or thereabouts that illustrates how he's thinking faster than you. Blows it between the goalie's legs on a pointblank shot, dinks it over the goalie's head who comes out too far on a challenge. Blasts it out of the goalie's grip when he thought he had it recovered, fires it in on a rebound by blasting it off the goalie, and firing in from a distance on a free kick to the top corner before anyone is ready.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfFzlm9IpFw[/youtube]
closg00
RealGM

Post#80 » by closg00 » Tue May 8, 2012 5:18 pm

AJ is making $15 Million this-year, incredible!!

Return to Washington Wizards