ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread XX (6/22/12 - 12/13/12)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Re: Official Trade Thread XX (6/22/12 - present) 

Post#1261 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:56 pm

Any interest in a Bargnani/Okafor swap? WAS gets scoring/spacing and TOR gets better defense/intangibles and a shorter contract
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#1262 » by Illuminaire » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:38 am

Possibly from our management. Not generally from this board. :P

Bargs seems to be the bad kind of tweener, and I don't think we have the kind of roster that can hide him. That and he's another expensive contract that would clog our cap. We need to be getting core players, and he's not one... so adding his salary would only be another step towards mediocrity.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#1263 » by miller31time » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 am

While I think it would be just a terrible deal and set the franchise back even more (if that's possible).....I could totally see Ernie giddy with excitement over the idea of adding Bargs.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,332

Post#1264 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:48 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Any interest in a Bargnani/Okafor swap? WAS gets scoring/spacing and TOR gets better defense/intangibles and a shorter contract

I'd first try to dump Okafor for an expiring contract. If that's not possible, I'd probably do this. The way things are set up now, we have no realistic opportunity for cap room in the foreseeable future anyhow, so there isn't much downside in swapping Okafor's 2-year contract for Bargnani's 3-year deal. And on the court, Bargnani would provide us much-needed offense and floor spacing. Okafor currently provides us nothing. He has been terrible.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1265 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:43 pm

nate33 wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:Any interest in a Bargnani/Okafor swap? WAS gets scoring/spacing and TOR gets better defense/intangibles and a shorter contract

I'd first try to dump Okafor for an expiring contract. If that's not possible, I'd probably do this. The way things are set up now, we have no realistic opportunity for cap room in the foreseeable future anyhow, so there isn't much downside in swapping Okafor's 2-year contract for Bargnani's 3-year deal. And on the court, Bargnani would provide us much-needed offense and floor spacing. Okafor currently provides us nothing. He has been terrible.

Agree on all counts, except that I would pair Okafor with Nene a while and see if the Wizards cannot raise Emeka Okafor's trade value first before pulling the trigger on this one.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... san01.html

Andrea Bargnani is an intriguing player. Has some good and some real bad to his game. On the one hand he is an excellent free throw shooter, and a legit 7-footer with three point range. The past couple seasons he has averaged 21 points per 36 minutes. PER has been around 17. His ORtg is very pedestrian, however, and his DRtg worse. Shot jacker who doesn't play much defense. The Wizards already had one AB who played similarly. But worst of all, the Toronto AB is a miserable rebounder, at less than 6 per 36 minutes. Big man who rebounds like a guard. Should you trade Okafor for this player?

miller31time wrote:While I think it would be just a terrible deal and set the franchise back even more (if that's possible).....I could totally see Ernie giddy with excitement over the idea of adding Bargs.

I see why you could think this, miller. ESPN Trade Machine predicts an Okafor/Bargnani swap would cost the Wizards 2 wins. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cjpsj4z

However, Bargs is 27 and he will make 10M, 10.75 M, 11.5 M; as opposed to 13.5M and 14.5M over the next couple seasons for Okafor, who is 30. Bargnani's numbers are inefficient on offense, but I think they could do like Antawn Jamison's as a Wizard. That ORtg could really go up if he played with Nene and Wall.

Financially, the deal would shave 3.5M off the cap right away, if they were traded as is for each other.

I would do the deal, if Okafor and Nene don't play very well together (as I suspect they might starting tonight).
Bye bye Beal.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#1266 » by Illuminaire » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:34 pm

I watch Bargnani a lot. (Living in Canada will do that to an NBA fan. Also, watching the Raptors makes me feel better about being a Wizard fan most of the time.)

He is a huge defensive liability. He can't move his feet fast enough to play PF, but he lacks the ability to guard anyone with post moves. He also averaged a mighty 6.3 rebs/36 in his ~best ever~ rebounding year. He can shoot. He can hit free throws. He does nothing else on an NBA level to help a team win. Just say no to Andrea Bargnani.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1267 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:43 pm

David Aldridge talked about the Lakers trading Gasol to the T-Wolves and involving the Wizards in it.
http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/d ... _twitter_L
In this (imaginary) deal, Washington would send second-year forward Chris Singleton and former Laker Trevor Ariza to the Lakers, who would also get guards Luke Ridnour and J.J. Barea from Minnesota. The Wizards and Wolves would, essentially, swap 2011 Lottery picks about which both are quite uncertain, with Washington's Jan Vesely going to Minnesota and Minnesota's Derrick Williams going to Washington, along with center Nikola Pekovic. Guard Chris Duhon would go from the Lakers to Wizards to make the trade work cap-wise.

Lakers trade: Pau Gasol, Chris Duhoh
Lakers receieve: Chris Singleton, Ariza, Ridnour, Barea

Wizards trade: Chris Singleton, Vesley, Ariza
Wizards receieve: Chris Duhon, Derrick Williams and Pekovic

Wolves trade: Williams, Pekovic, Ridnour, Barea
Wolves receieve: Pau Gasol, Jan Vesley
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#1268 » by queridiculo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:51 pm

Lol, Wizards get Pekovic, Derrick Williams and Duhon for Singleton, Ariza and Vesely?

Where do we sign??
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#1269 » by nuposse04 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:51 pm

FAH1223 wrote:David Aldridge talked about the Lakers trading Gasol to the T-Wolves and involving the Wizards in it.
In this (imaginary) deal, Washington would send second-year forward Chris Singleton and former Laker Trevor Ariza to the Lakers, who would also get guards Luke Ridnour and J.J. Barea from Minnesota. The Wizards and Wolves would, essentially, swap 2011 Lottery picks about which both are quite uncertain, with Washington's Jan Vesely going to Minnesota and Minnesota's Derrick Williams going to Washington, along with center Nikola Pekovic. Guard Chris Duhon would go from the Lakers to Wizards to make the trade work cap-wise.

I would adore it for us...no way Minn trades pekovic though, I'd prefer they swap out booker for singleton.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1270 » by LyricalRico » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:57 pm

^ I agree that Minny would be reluctant to include Pekovic. Maybe they include Roy instead just as cap fodder (assuming that he's going to retire)?

And I would also rather include Booker than Singleton, or even Crawford.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#1271 » by nuposse04 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:01 pm

LyricalRico wrote:^ I agree that Minny would be reluctant to include Pekovic. I also question them moving both of their PGs before Rubio gets back.

And I would also rather include Booker than Singleton.

Their new guy, shved or w/e his name is, is playing pretty damn good PG play this point. With Roy possibly done maybe they'd take Crawford off our hands. I've seen more positive play from Singleton then Williams at this point. Booker and Williams are redundant players, thats the only reason I'd switch the two. Pekovic isn't a deal breaker for us in this deal...we don't "need" him but we'd like to have him. Aside from being a bit more efficient his stats match up the same with seraphin.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1272 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:12 pm

LyricalRico wrote:^ I agree that Minny would be reluctant to include Pekovic. Maybe they include Roy instead just as cap fodder (assuming that he's going to retire)?

And I would also rather include Booker than Singleton, or even Crawford.

Gasol would be playing Center and leaves Pekovic on the bench.

And yeah, I'd rather get rid of Booker before Singleton. Crawford as well.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1273 » by LyricalRico » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:29 pm

nuposse04 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:^ I agree that Minny would be reluctant to include Pekovic. I also question them moving both of their PGs before Rubio gets back.

And I would also rather include Booker than Singleton.

Their new guy, shved or w/e his name is, is playing pretty damn good PG play this point. With Roy possibly done maybe they'd take Crawford off our hands. I've seen more positive play from Singleton then Williams at this point. Booker and Williams are redundant players, thats the only reason I'd switch the two. Pekovic isn't a deal breaker for us in this deal...we don't "need" him but we'd like to have him. Aside from being a bit more efficient his stats match up the same with seraphin.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about Shved and amended my post once I remembered him. And I also edited to add the Crawford idea.

As for Pekovic, I wouldn't mind adding him but it definitely clogs our center spot. Maybe make it a 4-way, where Okafor+Booker+Duhon go somewhere for something else?
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,220

Post#1274 » by MikeTheKid » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:41 pm

FAH1223 wrote:David Aldridge talked about the Lakers trading Gasol to the T-Wolves and involving the Wizards in it.

OMG make this happen TODAY!!! EG couldn't screw this up but he would find a way to
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,332

Post#1275 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:42 pm

FAH1223 wrote:I'd rather get rid of Booker before Singleton.

This would have been blasphemy a year ago, and now it makes some sense. That said, I'm not quite ready to cede this point.

Booker has had a rough start, but I'm not yet convinced that he is THIS bad. He had two rock-solid seasons for us until this year. I'm trying real hard not to forget what a fighter and leader he was for us last year. The guy has heart. He was honestly my favorite player last year. I think he is better than what we have seen so far this year.

My biggest concern about Booker is his health and his reliance on his athleticism. Once that explosion is gone, he doesn't have anything to fall back on. He's the kind of player that might be washed up at age 28.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#1276 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:27 pm

The Bucks are trying to trade Drew Gooden (says some boring article...).

"We've had our eye on Drew Gooden ever since our astigmatism began developing. He's the consummate over-the-hill guy and has voted consistently in every election -- our advanced stats guys picked that up, and it's just a small part of our dull diligence.

"Our advanced stats department, working with our medical team, has concluded that Drew has never had plantar fasciitis and can be counted on to help Nene and Trevor Booker develop resistance -- before PF starts being called "the Wizards' Disease."

"Big smile, and lets all welcome the newest Wizard, Drew Gooden. He's going to be sharing a number with Shaun Livingston, by the way. Numbers are expensive, and no one would ever confuse them anyway."
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1277 » by fishercob » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:01 am

Nice, but you forgot the part about him being able to guard multiple positions.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,401

Post#1278 » by Bensational » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:34 am

What would you think of?

WAS
in: Millsap + TPE
out: Okafor + Ariza + 2013 1st rounder

UTA
in: Afflalo
out: Millsap + Burks

ORL
in: Okafor + Ariza + Burks + WAS 1st
out: Afflalo

Gives you a chance to try and salvage this season, and gives you cap space starting at the end of this season. You can start adding bigger pieces rather than relying on the draft for prospects.

Orlando is blatantly happy to lose games, so we eat the cost of those contracts in the hope of Washignton's pick being a lottery pick.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,220

Post#1279 » by MikeTheKid » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:00 am

Marshon Brooks is out of the Nets rotation, can we free him off the bench in Brooklyn? Maybe Crawford+Ariza???
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#1280 » by closg00 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:05 am

MikeTheKid wrote:Marshon Brooks is out of the Nets rotation, can we free him off the bench in Brooklyn? Maybe Crawford+Ariza???

Nobody is taking Ariza unless its in a trade for Wall.

Return to Washington Wizards