ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread XX (6/22/12 - 12/13/12)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Re: Official Trade Thread XX (6/22/12 - present) 

Post#1471 » by Dat2U » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:35 pm

Illuminaire wrote:I've already shared my thoughts on WS as a measuring tool, PIF. You fall back on it every time... we're just going to have to disagree if that's your go to move, and I don't trust it as an accurate measure.

Agreed. Any statistical measure is going to have it flaws. It certainly can't be used as the lone piece to measure someone's value. IMO, you have to take into account a number of different statistical tools to get an overall picture of a players real impact.

Being solely dependent on one measuring tool and being so vociferous in your arguments to such is how one can wind up looking incredibly wrong and stupid in the long run.

Anyone knows how Landry Fields is doing up in Toronto these days?
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#1472 » by dangermouse » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:57 am

fishercob mentioned in the Harden thread about trading for Gay.

I just wanted to say, no way. It would (probably) take us giving up our first. Right now we are playing on track to draft Shabazz, who I think could be as good as Gay, and with a much cooler name.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#1473 » by montestewart » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:02 am

Illuminaire wrote:I've already shared my thoughts on WS as a measuring tool, PIF. You fall back on it every time... we're just going to have to disagree if that's your go to move, and I don't trust it as an accurate measure.

I like the WS measure, but I agree with your premise. Like other measures, WS can slight some and over-reward others that happen to be overly strong or weak in a key area of the system. Still, you could legitimately arrive at the same conclusion about Wall using other means, including just looking at his shooting % from the 2 and 3 and his turnovers, especially coupled with the team's record. I still think Wall has the tools to be an all-star (maybe they could try surrounding him with some scorers), but right now I'd be happy to see him return healthy, and just work on being really good.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 355

Post#1474 » by Benjammin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:33 am

dangermouse wrote:fishercob mentioned in the Harden thread about trading for Gay.

I just wanted to say, no way. It would (probably) take us giving up our first. Right now we are playing on track to draft Shabazz, who I think could be as good as Gay, and with a much cooler name.

I believe he was saying that would be a typical Wizards/Boulez short-term move that looks good on paper. It was by no means a good thing in his mind, I believe.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#1475 » by dangermouse » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:02 am

Yeah I kinda got that, just wanted to bring it over to this thread so I could formalise what I would think of said trade.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#1476 » by Nivek » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:42 pm

To the Rubio vs. Wall thing for a moment. Using MY stat tool, which (despite dat's unsubstantiated claim to the contrary) is without flaw, I'd agree with payitforward's basic assessment. In my measure, 100 = average and higher is better...

Rubio -- Rookie -- 104
Wall -- Rookie -- 87
Wall -- Year 2 -- 97

It's actually interesting to see how remarkably similar their rookie seasons were category by category. Wall actually shot for a higher percentage from the floor. Their rebounding was virtually identical. Rubio had more assists and steals. Turnovers were about the same.

Wall shot more frequently so he had more missed shots. Another factor, at least in my rating, Rubio performed better in the defense part of my metric.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.

Return to Washington Wizards