ImageImageImageImageImage

Bradley Beal

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Re: Bradley Beal 

Post#981 » by tontoz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:47 pm

Nivek wrote:That Rookie Ladder thing is such a joke. NBA oughta be embarrassed to have that up on their site.

I think it's just marketing. They want to try to draw attention to as many rookies as possible. Whenever a guy gets hot he will shoot up the rankings like a rocket, passing guys who are having better years. If a guy has been near the top for awhile (like Davis) they will sometimes drop him like a stone so they can get some pub for other guys.

Flavor of the month kind of thing. I doubt they put much thought into it.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#982 » by DCZards » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:28 pm

tontoz wrote:
I think it's just marketing. They want to try to draw attention to as many rookies as possible. Whenever a guy gets hot he will shoot up the rankings like a rocket, passing guys who are having better years. If a guy has been near the top for awhile (like Davis) they will sometimes drop him like a stone so they can get some pub for other guys.

Agreed. Plus, if they used a more stat-based process people would be wondering why guys like Bernard James, Copeland and Valanciunas, players who've had little impact on their team's success and don't stand a chance of being ROY, would be rated higher or even near guys like Beal and Lilliard.

Keep it simple is always the way to go in marketing.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#983 » by GhostsOfGil » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:31 pm

Nivek wrote:That Rookie Ladder thing is such a joke. NBA oughta be embarrassed to have that up on their site.

Hey I never said it was a credible source, I'm just saying hes in a discussion. :wink:
Illmatic21
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 554

Post#984 » by Illmatic21 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Halcyon wrote:For those who missed the game.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBE1iIBbU40[/youtube]

His movement w/o the ball at 0:40 is perfect
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#985 » by Induveca » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:12 pm

tontoz wrote:

Yep....gotta make sure customers know about new product models.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#986 » by Nivek » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:33 pm

I understand marketing. I can also understand not wanting a guy like Bernard James on a list like that. Although, it might serve to draw attention to guys who are performing well (even in limited minutes), but that fans aren't aware of. But, I can understand not wanting low minute guys on the list. That's pretty easily handled with a minutes screen or by using "total credits" instead of a per minute rating.

Either way, the list oughta be credible. Dion Waiters at 3 isn't credible. Drummond at 6 -- not credible. Conference Rookie of the Month in December for Beal -- not credible.

Not to me anyway. :)
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#987 » by tontoz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:39 pm

I'll go out on a limb and guess that people who know the per minute production of all the rookies aren't their target audience lol.
GeneWilderSTL
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#988 » by GeneWilderSTL » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:32 am

I said homeboy make some noise! Great month so far for Beal - that was a nasty fall he took from Koufus - ah to be 19 again
46 years... St. Louis NEEDS an NBA Team. Now.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,301

Post#989 » by dobrojim » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:43 am

Beal showing CONSISTENCY. Gotta love that from a 19 yo kid.
Another excellent game from BB. Beal with it!
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#990 » by doclinkin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:04 am

B Real. Coming on strong. Love his synergy with Wall. And his toughness after Koufos double-dribbled him off the deck.
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 412

Post#991 » by Tyrone Messby » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:12 am

Image :lol:
The Consiglieri
Sixth Man
And1: 500

Post#992 » by The Consiglieri » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:37 am

Feeling very comfortable with my very rare positivity on something wizards, as in Beal, never lost the faith, figured he'd look a lot different once the team was starting it's first choice V, and sure enough, he looks like a different man w/Wall in there :). I'm shocked at how well they've been playing thus far, expected improvement, but not to this degree.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#993 » by willbcocks » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:21 am

It's probably been brought up here, but I don't think it's got the attention it deserves: Beal has no left hand. Not only can he not dribble with his left hand at all--to the point that he'll do those one-handed crossovers rather than two-handed ones--but he doesn't shoot with his left hand, ever. Not on open layups, not on contested layups, now on short chip shots.

He's played this well without a left hand. I'm sure he can develop one if he sticks at it a few years. He has the chance to be a scary good player.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#994 » by Knighthonor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:28 am

I wonder what can make a Beal-Wall on the floor together rotation better.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#995 » by nate33 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:56 pm

willbcocks wrote:It's probably been brought up here, but I don't think it's got the attention it deserves: Beal has no left hand. Not only can he not dribble with his left hand at all--to the point that he'll do those one-handed crossovers rather than two-handed ones--but he doesn't shoot with his left hand, ever. Not on open layups, not on contested layups, now on short chip shots.

He's played this well without a left hand. I'm sure he can develop one if he sticks at it a few years. He has the chance to be a scary good player.

Interesting. You are right, but what's funny is that it's not very noticeable. Some one-handed guys are so obvious about it that it becomes easy to take their strong hand away. Calbert Cheaney was all left hand, for instance. Beal is so economical in his moves that you don't really notice that everything is with his right hand.

He'll get better at it though. I don't think it's all that uncommon for a non-PG 19-year-old to heavily favor the strong hand.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#996 » by tontoz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Beal has been awful....... for the tank.

Another stealth 20+ point game. He is averaging 19 for the month and on the season his 3 point percentage is up to 36.4%.

I would like to see more pick and rolls with Nene/Beal. They don't do it often but when they do it really makes it tough for the defense.
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#997 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:56 pm

Beal and Wall have been excellently together. I'm pretty excited about this team, just wish we didn't blow our cap flexibility on Okafor/Ariza.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,369

Post#998 » by Jimmy Recard » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:31 pm

8-)
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#999 » by hands11 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:16 am

nate33 wrote:
willbcocks wrote:It's probably been brought up here, but I don't think it's got the attention it deserves: Beal has no left hand. Not only can he not dribble with his left hand at all--to the point that he'll do those one-handed crossovers rather than two-handed ones--but he doesn't shoot with his left hand, ever. Not on open layups, not on contested layups, now on short chip shots.

Interesting. You are right, but what's funny is that it's not very noticeable. Some one-handed guys are so obvious about it that it becomes easy to take their strong hand away. Calbert Cheaney was all left hand, for instance. Beal is so economical in his moves that you don't really notice that everything is with his right hand.

He'll get better at it though. I don't think it's all that uncommon for a non-PG 19-year-old to heavily favor the strong hand.

You both must have missed the end of the Denver game last night as Beal was dibbling around in the back court running off the clock and he transitioned onto his left hand effortlessly and continued dribbling around.

That is as much dribbling as I have seen Beal do in a while. He really doesn't dribble all that much now that the team has PGs out there. One or two dibbles to set up a shot or he passes. If you are thinking about dribble drive moves, then I would expect he finishes on his strong side. Specially if he is considering a dunk.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,213

Post#1000 » by MikeTheKid » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:24 am

I kinda cant wait to see Beal in the Rookie Challenge during AS weekend

Return to Washington Wizards