A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Re: Bradley Beal 

Post#542 » by DMVleGeND » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:48 pm

I think too many people are giving Beal a pass. Most people didn't like the Vesely pick last yr, and because of that, were criticizing him from day 1 when he didn't set the world on fire. I don't see the same being said about Beal, just because most people supported the pick.

The worries I had about Beal are proving to be true. Doesn't have great athleticism, lacks the handles to breakdown his defender off the dribble, and his shot has been worse than advertised (much like it was in college). I don't see star potential.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#543 » by Nivek » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:57 pm

DMVleGeND wrote:I think too many people are giving Beal a pass. Most people didn't like the Vesely pick last yr, and because of that, were criticizing him from day 1 when he didn't set the world on fire. I don't see the same being said about Beal, just because most people supported the pick.

The worries I had about Beal are proving to be true. Doesn't have great athleticism, lacks the handles to breakdown his defender off the dribble, and his shot has been worse than advertised (much like it was in college). I don't see star potential.

As I mentioned in another thread, Beal is about average in every stat category for an NBA SG except for 2pt fg%. It's sooooo early in the season that he gets to average for a SG from 2pt range with 8 additional made FGs. He's making a third of his 3pt attempts, which is adequate.

Unless you believe he's going to continue shooting 32% from 2pt range, there isn't much reason to worry about him at this point. What's "wrong" with him is not making 2pt shots, which are likely to go in much more frequently in the future.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,148

Post#544 » by AFM » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:41 pm

I dont have a problem with his athleticism. He gets up pretty high. Remember last game where he almost jammed on that bamma?
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#545 » by Dark Faze » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:00 pm

Beals going to take a while to develop. Harden didn't really do anything until his third year either, although yea he was playing with two developing superstars--still, SG's with good shot selection take FOREVER to develop because they pass up so many shots.

Ginobili in his second year averaged stats that will look strikingly similar to Beals final numbers at the end of the season: 29 MPG, 12.8 ppg, 42% FG , .36 3pFG%, 4.5 RPG, 3.8 APG

His offensive game is passive right now but guys that are in his mold (smart efficient scoring SG's) take a while.

The good thing about it as that we can tank while he gets better. MKG would probably have gotten us a win by now.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#546 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:39 pm

DMVleGeND wrote:I think too many people are giving Beal a pass. Most people didn't like the Vesely pick last yr, and because of that, were criticizing him from day 1 when he didn't set the world on fire. I don't see the same being said about Beal, just because most people supported the pick.

Beal's play is frustrating but I'm not going to pretend like he didn't drop 40 in high school; I know high school isn't college ball or the NBA, but what he's capable of was on display despite not having the elite athleticsim as you noted. He still found many ways to score. He was loose, smiling, having fun and he's even stated that's when he's playing his best. I'm hopeful Wall's intensity and love of the game will bring the fun back to Beal's game.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#547 » by hands11 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:54 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:

Beal's play is frustrating but I'm not going to pretend like he didn't drop 40 in high school; I know high school isn't college ball or the NBA, but what he's capable of was on display despite not having the elite athleticsim as you noted. He still found many ways to score. He was loose, smiling, having fun and he's even stated that's when he's playing his best. I'm hopeful Wall's intensity and love of the game will bring the fun back to Beal's game.

Actually, the I play best when I am having fun comments he makes is one of the things I don't really care for. I would rather he get mad and dig deep for that something extra.

Get mad. Get active. Get the ball and move toward to basket. Apply the pressure of you will have it applied to you. The more they retreat, the most the defense extends to smother them. That is why Nene helps so much. He moves and passes toward the basket.
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#548 » by DMVleGeND » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:27 am

AFM wrote:I dont have a problem with his athleticism. He gets up pretty high. Remember last game where he almost jammed on that bamma?

He can occasionally play above the rim, but he's mainly a below the rim player and gets his shot blocked more than you'd like.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,043

Post#549 » by queridiculo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:39 am

Beal's lack of one hop leg strength and bowleggedness doesn't allow him to show elite high jump athleticism.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,148

Post#550 » by AFM » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 am

He also has no elite hand speed.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#551 » by jivelikenice » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:05 pm

Dude is going to be a good player, but not a star. Will also take a lot of time to develop as he clearly doesn't understand how to play the game. Terrible pick at #3. If you go 2 guard that high, they better have an understanding of how to score, better have elite scoring potential, and need size...and I don't see any of these three out of Beal.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,965

Post#552 » by DCZards » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:35 pm

jivelikenice wrote:Dude is going to be a good player, but not a star. Will also take a lot of time to develop as he clearly doesn't understand how to play the game. Terrible pick at #3. If you go 2 guard that high, they better have an understanding of how to score, better have elite scoring potential, and need size...and I don't see any of these three out of Beal.

Give it time, jive.The kid is smart and he'll figure it out. Beal's biggest problem right now is that he's playing with a bunch of scrubs and, as a result, is being asked to do far more than a 19 year old rookie should be called upon to do. On top of that, defenses can focus on Beal because none of teammates are capable of scoring (or creating open shots for others) with any consistency.

I also expect Beal to get bigger and stronger. Again, he's just 19 years old...with less than a month of NBA experience under his belt.
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#553 » by jivelikenice » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:16 pm

^I agree he'll be better. But my issue is he's a project. At #3, you don't take a project in the backcourt unless they are a big man or a Mcgrady type of wing athlete....What does Beal to well? Every concern ppl had pre-draft has played out. He doesn't shoot well in games, he gets his shots blocked, and 'ok' at best off the dribble, and he's tentative. Is this #3 worthy? He could and I think will be good. But this team needed instant production and a mature player, neither of which Beal brings to the table. We can't keep drafting project after project...

My biggest concern is scorers typically can find ways to score...(i.e. Crawford. I hate him but he can find a way to put up points). Beal can't do that. He doesn't know how to score...When he forces the issue and drives its very deliberate and he gets blocked. A shooting guard who can't score if not going to help us now.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#554 » by Illuminaire » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:31 pm

Beal doesn't do anything great. But he does a lot of things competently, even at 19 on a bad team.

If he gets his shooting, finishing, and aggression level up to just average, he will be a complete player who helps out in every facet of the game. Given that the first two are things young rookie guards tend to struggle with, it's reasonable to assume he's going to end up as a good to very good all-around player.

I wish Beal had star talent. I don't think he does. But I think his year three floor is a strong starter with no real weaknesses; he'll be a guy that makes a good team great and lets true stars do their thing while quietly chipping in everywhere that's needed.
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#555 » by jivelikenice » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:45 pm

Illuminaire wrote:Beal doesn't do anything great. But he does a lot of things competently, even at 19 on a bad team.

If he gets his shooting, finishing, and aggression level up to just average, he will be a complete player who helps out in every facet of the game. Given that the first two are things young rookie guards tend to struggle with, it's reasonable to assume he's going to end up as a good to very good all-around player.

I wish Beal had star talent. I don't think he does. But I think his year three floor is a strong starter with no real weaknesses; he'll be a guy that makes a good team great and lets true stars do their thing while quietly chipping in everywhere that's needed.

That's a fair assessment. I just wish we had looked more aggressively at trade down options while his stock was so high pre-draft.
Mizerooskie
Junior
And1: 36

Post#556 » by Mizerooskie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:48 pm

I won't worry about Beal until he plays with a real point guard for an extended stretch, rather than D-league fodder.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#557 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:32 am

hands11 wrote:
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:

Actually, the I play best when I am having fun comments he makes is one of the things I don't really care for. I would rather he get mad and dig deep for that something extra.

Get mad. Get active. Get the ball and move toward to basket. Apply the pressure of you will have it applied to you. The more they retreat, the most the defense extends to smother them. That is why Nene helps so much. He moves and passes toward the basket.

There are many quotes from Bradley Beal that I don't care for, in fact I wish he would stop talking altogether and just produce on the court, but I found some truth in the comment about him being at his best when he's having fun. I think by fun he means playing relaxed and loose to the point that scoring just becomes effortless.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#558 » by Knighthonor » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:50 am

Why won't you all just admit he a bust like Vesly is a bust? Get out with it already!!!!

You know, like I know he is a bust.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#559 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:42 pm

Knighthonor wrote:Why won't you all just admit he a bust like Vesly is a bust? Get out with it already!!!!

We know this after 12 games? Come on, he hasn't had a real pg to set him up and make the game easy. When Wall comes back Beal will have a chance to shine,
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#560 » by Illuminaire » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:29 pm

Knighthonor wrote:Why won't you all just admit he a bust like Vesly is a bust? Get out with it already!!!!

Why won't you just admit young SGs take time to develop like Kobe took time to develop? Get out with it already!!!!

You know, like I know he will take time to develop.

Return to Washington Wizards