ImageImageImageImageImage

Bradley Beal

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Mediocrity
Sixth Man
And1: 596

Re: Bradley Beal 

Post#561 » by Mediocrity » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:00 pm

Hey, Raptors fan here. I drafted Beal in in an annual fantasy league in our mock 2012 rookie draft 5th overall. I was in no way expecting him to set the world on fire, but can you give me some insights into his struggles this year? Is his play (at the moment, at least) dependent on a PG? Do you think his numbers will spike when Wall returns? Thanks!
picc wrote:If the Lakers get Dragic, a championship is back on the table for this season. He's that good, and we're that close.
Saqs
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#562 » by Saqs » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:02 pm

I think his struggles have less to do with who he's playing with and more about his inability to consistently knock down open shots which is supposed to be his strength. We can talk about his other weaknesses such as lack of creating his own shot and such but any of that is secondary to what I mentioned above. He's got to start hitting open shots.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#563 » by Nivek » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:36 pm

Virtually all that's "wrong" with Beal comes down to a single category: 2pt fg%. And, as bad as he's been in that category, the difference between Beal and the average SG is 8 made 2pt FGs so far this season. I'm not worried about him yet.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
w dumseld
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#564 » by w dumseld » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:39 pm

BB is one of the few things I don't worry about. He was killing it in preseason but then he got hurt in practice and after that he started sucking and getting his shot blocked a lot. Since then, he's continued to suck but less so over time. Sounds to me like a player with an injury that took away his elevation and athleticism and as he heals he will get better. Plus, it's not exactly like he's got the Phoenix Suns medical staff taking care of him.

Also, he had a slow start in college and improved over time. He's a learner and an adapter. He just needs time.

On top of it all, he's started his career with the most dysfunctional team in the league. Think about it, who's more dysfunctional than the Wiz. And he's got Ariza poisoning his mind with negativity and trying to tear him down with crap like this may not be his year. Plus PGs that can make it through an entire game without an assist. I think hes done remarkably well for a 19 year old thrown into this snafu organization.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#565 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:54 pm

I wouldn't call the Wizards dysfunctional. Most of them, with the possible exception of Ariza, seem like pretty good guys and hard workers. They just suck as basketball players.

The team from two years ago... now THAT was dysfunctional.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#566 » by GhostsOfGil » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Dysfunctional character? No. Dysfunctional on the court? Hell yes.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#567 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:05 pm

nate33 wrote:I wouldn't call the Wizards dysfunctional. Most of them, with the possible exception of Ariza, seem like pretty good guys and hard workers. They just suck as basketball players.

The team from two years ago... now THAT was dysfunctional.

Whatever the opposite of synergy is, that's what's happening to the Wizards. The sum of the parts is less than what the whole should be. These guys are not THAT bad.

--And it isn't on Wittman, either IMO. Something is causing a collective suckiness. They are Murphy's Law, Titanic, Bad Luck Schleprock all rolled into one.

--I say they need to fire Grunfeld, change all the linens, decon, fumigate, and hold a prayer vigil.

Reverse the curse. Bring in an exorcist. :)

(Yeah, nate, I kid. They a bust).
Bye bye Beal.
Mel Proctor
Freshman
And1: 5

Post#568 » by Mel Proctor » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:34 pm

Although I don't post on here often, I believe I was one of the first banging the drum that Beal just isn't very good. He reminds me of Jarvis Hayes. Beautiful-looking stroke that goes in less than 40% of the time. That's horrid. Also, Beal is an AWFUL finisher. I don't think he has finished a layup in traffic all season. Also, can he even dunk? He just does not have the athleticism to succeed on either end of the floor. Drafting Beal was a big time swing and miss. Almost as bad as Vesely. But then again, almost nothing compares to wasting the #6 pick on him.
Versatile Announcer
Remember me?
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#569 » by Halcyon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:38 pm

I know it's boring to stay away from one absolute or another, but before tooting your horn too much, it's only be 12 games into his career. Give him some time...
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#570 » by GhostsOfGil » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Mel Proctor wrote:Although I don't post on here often, I believe I was one of the first banging the drum that Beal just isn't very good. He reminds me of Jarvis Hayes. Beautiful-looking stroke that goes in less than 40% of the time. That's horrid. Also, Beal is an AWFUL finisher. I don't think he has finished a layup in traffic all season. Also, can he even dunk? He just does not have the athleticism to succeed on either end of the floor. Drafting Beal was a big time swing and miss. Almost as bad as Vesely. But then again, almost nothing compares to wasting the #6 pick on him.

Beal is shooting 55% eFG% inside and averaging 4 FTA per 36 minutes. Jarvis Hayes averaged 1.7 FTA per 36 for his entire CAREER.
Mel Proctor
Freshman
And1: 5

Post#571 » by Mel Proctor » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Look, I really hope I am wrong. I've been a Bullets fan all my life, dating back to 1978 when I was 8 years old. But was there any point during Beal's "career" at Florida or even so far during his pro "career," where you've thought: "wow, that guy is good!" I watched some Florida games last year and at no time did he stand out as the best player on the floor. Conversely, watching Wall at Kentucky and with the Wiz, it is safe to say that he is a star. Maybe not as good as Kyrie Irving, but he is right there in that conversation.

My worry is that Beal simply cannot shoot that well. The numbers don't lie. NBA players HAVE to make wide open shots. And he misses them. All the time.

I really hope Beal proves me wrong, but I am fearful that I may be right on this one...
Versatile Announcer
Remember me?
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#572 » by Knighthonor » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:06 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:
Mel Proctor wrote:Although I don't post on here often, I believe I was one of the first banging the drum that Beal just isn't very good. He reminds me of Jarvis Hayes. Beautiful-looking stroke that goes in less than 40% of the time. That's horrid. Also, Beal is an AWFUL finisher. I don't think he has finished a layup in traffic all season. Also, can he even dunk? He just does not have the athleticism to succeed on either end of the floor. Drafting Beal was a big time swing and miss. Almost as bad as Vesely. But then again, almost nothing compares to wasting the #6 pick on him.

Beal is shooting 55% eFG% inside and averaging 4 FTA per 36 minutes. Jarvis Hayes averaged 1.7 FTA per 36 for his entire CAREER.

Jarvis Hayes was way better player than Beal....
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#573 » by Illuminaire » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Knighthonor just reached troll status. Ignore option, initiated.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man

Post#574 » by Knighthonor » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:36 pm

Illuminaire wrote:Knighthonor just reached troll status. Ignore option, initiated.

calling a troll huh?
ignore all you want.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMtZ8mRAF0[/youtube]

he had way better handle than Beal does. Not sure how he is today, but I remember him on the wizards, and he was way better player than Beal is currently.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#575 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:43 pm

That's ridiculous. Hayes had no handle at all. He never put the ball on the floor for more than one dribble. Beal may not have a great handle for a SG, but he's at least competent. Hayes had a poor handle for a SF and couldn't even play SG.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man

Post#576 » by Knighthonor » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:46 pm

nate33 wrote:That's ridiculous. Hayes had no handle at all. He never put the ball on the floor for more than one dribble. Beal may not have a great handle for a SG, but he's at least competent. Hayes had a poor handle for a SF and couldn't even play SG.

so you saying Beal has better handle than Hayes did?

yes or no?
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#577 » by Nivek » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:14 am

This is silly.

Beal is 19 years old. There are no guarantees, but it's extremely likely that he's going to play far better in the future than he has in his first 12 games.

At 19, Jarvis was posting hollow stats for a wretched Western Carolina team. He then sat out a year so he could transfer to Georgia. Where, as a 21-year old he struggled (rated below the cutoff for a 2nd round pick in my draft analysis). He then played another year of good ball for Georgia (at age 22) -- his YODA score suggested he'd be worth picking in the 20s -- but still not as good as a 22-year old junior as Beal was as an 18-year old freshman.

Then -- at age 23 -- Jarvis came to the Wizards where he literally threw up in training camp because he was out of shape. For those not wanting to do the math at home, 23-19 = 4. That'd be the number of years Jarvis was older than Beal as a rookie.

Although Jarvis was older, presumably more emotionally and physically mature, and almost certainly stronger, Beal generated more pace-adjusted rebounds, assists, blocks and points, while Jarvis got more steals. Turnovers were equal.

Jarvis had a higher 3pt% -- the difference being 1 made 3ptFG. Jarvis also had a higher percentage on 2pt attempts. The difference: 8 made FGs.

Really, the comparison makes no sense on any level except that Jarvis also once played for the Wizards. Might as well compare Beal to Ledell Eackles or Harvey Grant or Tom Hammond or AJ English.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man

Post#578 » by Knighthonor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:20 am

well I am talking about Beal of now, compared to the Hayes of the Wizards.
Beal's potential in the future wasnt what I was talking about clearly, since that cant be measured.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#579 » by TGW » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:28 am

Jarvis couldn't put the ball on the floor for more than maybe 2 dribbles before he'd either pass or shoot the ball. Terrible comparison.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man

Post#580 » by Knighthonor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:30 am

TGW wrote:Jarvis couldn't put the ball on the floor for more than maybe 2 dribbles before he'd either pass or shoot the ball. Terrible comparison.

just about everybody on the current roster is afraid to take a shot. so thats a moot point to make honestly.

Return to Washington Wizards