ImageImageImageImageImage

Bradley Beal

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Re: Bradley Beal 

Post#861 » by DCZards » Thu Jan 3, 2013 9:02 pm

Beal may not have deserved the ROTM award by some standards/stats but I don't consider it "un-earned."
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#862 » by montestewart » Thu Jan 3, 2013 9:21 pm

DCZards wrote:Beal may not have deserved the ROTM award by some standards/stats but I don't consider it "un-earned."

If nothing else, he was forced to shoulder a lot of minutes and responsibility on a depleted team, and he hasn't imploded. That he keeps showing up, holding his head up, night after night--trying to find the middle ground between optimistic and delusional--even as the primary skill he should show looks a pretty bad, gives me hope that he'll eventually find his way (including an NBA SG shot) and be a foundation piece for the Wizards.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#863 » by Nivek » Thu Jan 3, 2013 9:46 pm

I wish you guys were around to review my performance at work. :)

Beal played badly in December yet was given an award that most of us likely thought was intended to recognize good play. He shot 37% from the floor. 18.4% from 3pt range. Other rookies played better.

Even if no rookie did play better, I don't think he'd have deserved it for his performance in December. Just don't give the award if no one actually played well.

And with that, I think I'm done talking about this. Really minor issue. It just annoys me to see someone get an award for being good when they were actually not good. Whether he's good in the future or not is irrelevant. This was an award for performance in December, and Beal wasn't good in December.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
DCZards
General Manager

Post#864 » by DCZards » Thu Jan 3, 2013 9:58 pm

montestewart wrote:
DCZards wrote:Beal may not have deserved the ROTM award by some standards/stats but I don't consider it "un-earned."

If nothing else, he was forced to shoulder a lot of minutes and responsibility on a depleted team, and he hasn't imploded. That he keeps showing up, holding his head up, night after night--trying to find the middle ground between optimistic and delusional--even as the primary skill he should show looks a pretty bad, gives me hope that he'll eventually find his way (including an NBA SG shot) and be a foundation piece for the Wizards.

Yup, those are some of the reasons I'm glad Beal got the award---earned or not.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#865 » by hands11 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 1:55 am

Halcyon wrote:Nice little video of Beal's 22 point game.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP_Qpi2zw-Y[/youtube]

His decision making and the quickness of his release looked a lot better in that game. Very efficient and smooth from the catch to the release.

If he can keep that up combined with a pump fake ( we saw one the game before last ) when defenders get to close, he could have a monster second half to the year.

Good outside shooting and better handles in half court were really the main things he was missing. He was pretty solid to actually impressive in other areas.

He already had the finishing at the rim thing down. Way better then you would expect for a 19 year old who is supposed to be undersized. He shows really good body control when finishing on fast breaks. Something we should see him get more attempts at once Wall returns.

And his FT shooting has been awesome. So if this theory hold true that good FT shooters will eventually become good outside shooters, there is not much to worry about when it comes to Beal. Its just a matter of time regarding when he starts to put it all together.

I knows its only 2 game but that outside shoot was looking pretty money.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_ ... adley-beal

Looking over his game log, it looks like the ups and downs of a rookie. A rookie that had lots of line up changes around him including PG which is key for a SG. One that needed to work on the speed of his release. And then you add he took a real hard fall.

Looks like he is fully recovered and has regained the aggressiveness he was gaining that lead to him taking that tough fall.

I'm still not counting this team out for turnaround team of the year. First the Skins. Next the Wizards.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#866 » by dangermouse » Fri Jan 4, 2013 5:36 am

Nivek wrote:My hope is that Beal won't take the award as a "you're doing well, kid." I don't want him thinking his play is acceptable. I want him thinking about how much work he has to do, and then I want him doing that work.

I don't think there's much reason to worry about him taking it as an "I've arrived so I don't have to work as hard on my game as I thought." Just saying that the possibility does worry me a little.

Im sure he was told prior to the Pacers game, in which he played hard and did fairly well.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
DCZards
General Manager

Post#867 » by DCZards » Fri Jan 4, 2013 2:34 pm

dangermouse wrote:
Nivek wrote:My hope is that Beal won't take the award as a "you're doing well, kid." I don't want him thinking his play is acceptable. I want him thinking about how much work he has to do, and then I want him doing that work.

I don't think there's much reason to worry about him taking it as an "I've arrived so I don't have to work as hard on my game as I thought." Just saying that the possibility does worry me a little.

Im sure he was told prior to the Pacers game, in which he played hard and did fairly well.

I'm sure Beal believes he's capable of playing a whole lot better than he did in December---and will put in the necessary work. He strikes me as a pretty smart and mature kid.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#868 » by Higga » Fri Jan 4, 2013 4:04 pm

Had no idea Beal won Rookie of the Month.

D.C. Sports: Where Rookies win weekly/monthly awards.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#869 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 4:52 am

Beal has shot 50% or above from 3pt range in his last 3 games. his field goal percentages are also becoming respectable, being above 40% in his last 3 games and one game above 50% . The kid's coming along.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#870 » by Dark Faze » Sat Jan 5, 2013 4:58 am

Glad to see this
Floater
Junior
And1: 43

Post#871 » by Floater » Sat Jan 5, 2013 4:59 am

gambitx777 wrote:Beal has shot 50% or above from 3pt range in his last 3 games. his field goal percentages are also becoming respectable, being above 40% in his last 3 games and one game above 50% . The kid's coming alone.

I know you meant, "along," but that last line made me giggle.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#872 » by montestewart » Sat Jan 5, 2013 6:40 am

Floater wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Beal has shot 50% or above from 3pt range in his last 3 games. his field goal percentages are also becoming respectable, being above 40% in his last 3 games and one game above 50% . The kid's coming alone.

Glad to see Beal's working on his iso move
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#873 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 7:28 am

Floater wrote:

auto correct............. enough said. . .
but yeah .....

I am just glad that he is making progress.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#874 » by Knighthonor » Sat Jan 5, 2013 8:03 am

I was at the game tonight with my friend. GOOD JOB BEAL!!! MAN I LIKE THIS GUY!!!! Have any sisters? (kidding)
OffTheWall2
Junior
And1: 116

Post#875 » by OffTheWall2 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 1:05 pm

Beal is going to be a player in this league eventually. Iced that 3 though. I had no doubt that was going in.

Now every Crawford late shot? No doubt those are going to clank.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,320

Post#876 » by nate33 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 2:42 pm

In 3 games so far in January, Beal is averaging 20 points, 4 boards, 3 assists, 1 stl, 1 blk and 1 turnover while maintaining an eFG% and TS% of around 54%. Now THOSE are ROTM type of numbers!
DCZards
General Manager

Post#877 » by DCZards » Sat Jan 5, 2013 3:36 pm

Great to see Double B getting some much-deserved love. Looks to me like he's trying to double down on that ROTM award.
TheBigThree
Starter
And1: 124

Post#878 » by TheBigThree » Sat Jan 5, 2013 4:14 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIVRJcKP87o[/youtube]

For anyone like me that missed the game last night, there are all his points sans the two FTs at the end before Johnson's game winner.

Some really impressive stuff, in my opinion. Obviously he needs to do this consistently, but it seems like Bradley is starting to adjust to the length, athleticism and speed of NBA defense. Getting his shot off a lot easier. Besides the two handed slam, the pull up J's were probably the most exciting for me to see.

Impressive start to January.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#879 » by tontoz » Sat Jan 5, 2013 4:27 pm

I think he is just starting to get comfortable playing in the NBA. It is hard to shoot well if you are afraid to miss and i think as a 19 year old coming in with high expectations he was probably very nervous. Watching guys on TV it is easy to forget how young they are.

He seems to have very good court awareness. If a guy is open Beal will get him the ball. He always seems to be looking to make the right play whether it is shoot, drive or pass.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#880 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 4:36 pm

nate33 wrote:In 3 games so far in January, Beal is averaging 20 points, 4 boards, 3 assists, 1 stl, 1 blk and 1 turnover while maintaining an eFG% and TS% of around 54%. Now THOSE are ROTM type of numbers!

Very impressive stats from the 2nd youngest player in his draft class. Skies the limit for this kid. With how weak the sg crop is in the NBA, he could be an All-Star in 3 years and a contender for best sg in basketball if he keeps improving.

Return to Washington Wizards