Post#921 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:54 pm

Who are you kidding? He a bust
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Re: Bradley Beal 

Post#922 » by Higga » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:55 pm

MDStar wrote:Real Deal Beal keeps it going again!

Updated numbers for January:

37 mpg, 44 fg%, 3.7 rpg, 3 apg, 1.4 spg, 17.7 ppg

The only rookie playing better is Lillard:

40 mpg, 44 fg%, 4.4 rpg, 7.3 apg, 1.3 spg, 18 ppg

Our boy Is ballin!!!

Na we should have traded him after five games, because he's clearly a bust.

RealGM Logic.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,073

Post#923 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:38 pm

Higga wrote:
MDStar wrote:Real Deal Beal keeps it going again!

Updated numbers for January:

37 mpg, 44 fg%, 3.7 rpg, 3 apg, 1.4 spg, 17.7 ppg

The only rookie playing better is Lillard:

40 mpg, 44 fg%, 4.4 rpg, 7.3 apg, 1.3 spg, 18 ppg

Our boy Is ballin!!!

Na we should have traded him after five games, because he's clearly a bust.

RealGM Logic.

Let's not overstate things. Did anybody on this entire board propose trading him (other than for Harden)? Many, including myself, were very disappointed in Beal earlier this year, but we all understood that it was too early to make any long-term evaluations.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#924 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:53 pm

It's fun to see a young player improving and becoming a good player. Now, would I still trade him for Ben McLemore? Oh yes. But I'm happy to have Beal on the team - always was.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#925 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:14 pm

Hitting a game tying shot (and game tying fts) against the Nets and then a game winning shot against OKC defnintely seems to be a turning point for him. I think he has broken through the typical rookie nervousness.

He still needs to give a bit more respect to NBA defenders. Sometimes he will take a J or a shot inside that is blocked very easily.

The writing is definitely on the Wall for Crawford. With Beal coming into his own and Wall back, Crawford's minutes will go way down. And having won 3 straight without him has to give Wittman something to chew on.
DCsOwn
Junior
And1: 126

Post#926 » by DCsOwn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:56 pm

Ruzious wrote:It's fun to see a young player improving and becoming a good player. Now, would I still trade him for Ben McLemore? Oh yes. But I'm happy to have Beal on the team - always was.

I wouldn't, there's no reason to imo. They both project to be terrific players, Beal is actually younger btw, and Beal has a significantly more powerful build which allows him to deal with the physicality of this level remarkably well for a player his age, and I think he creates for himself better than McLemore does. People claim that McLemore is an elite athlete, but I don't think he rates anymore than slightly better than Beal does in that area (Beal is a criminaly underrated athlete and he demonstrated as much at the combine; We've also seen him almost put multiple NBA players in the rim over the last few weeks and demonstrate tremendous lateral quickness with well above average defense for a young player.) It'll be interesting to see what McLemore's athletic metrics are at the combine and there's no denying that he gets off the ground really well, but he doesn't have an especially devastating first step, he's not Wade in terms of changing ends, and even in terms of his vertical prowess, I dont think he'll do much better with his no step or two step vert than Brad. Maybe an inch or so either way.

McLemore appears a bit longer than Brad and he's had a much better first half of undoubtedly his only collegiate season than Brad, especially shooting the Ball, but remember, he's old for his present station, and some people simply acclimate themselves more quickly to things than others. That reality doesn't necessarily mean that those disparities are permanent. Remember, Beal shot the ball terrifically down the stretch of last season, throughout the SEC tourney and into the NCAA tournament. It was obviously just a matter of comfort in terms of regaining his touch from outside. Beal is shooting 54% from three this month in the NBA, making an impact offensively in the league at 19, he plays a very cerebral game, he's a tremendous, albeit underrated athlete, his character by all reports is spotless, he's a hard worker with apparent leadership skills, his teammates love him etc. I'm very, very comfortable holding onto the kid even if McLemore was readily available as a replacement.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#927 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:10 pm

DCsOwn wrote: Beal is shooting 54% from three this month in the NBA, making an impact offensively in the league at 19, he plays a very cerebral game, he's a tremendous, albeit underrated athlete, his character by all reports is spotless, he's a hard worker with apparent leadership skills, his teammates love him etc. I'm very, very comfortable holding onto the kid even if McLemore was readily available as a replacement.

I agree with all of this. I was hard on him early, but mostly only because he shot so poorly. If Beal's first 25 games were just a jitters-induced slump and what we see now is the "true" Bradley Beal, then I consider him to be pretty much untouchable.

I just love his overall game. I really like his defense and I like the way the ball never sticks to him. When he gets it, he either shoots, makes an aggressive move, or quickly passes it. And given his age, athleticism, attitude and work ethic, there is every reason to believe that he will continue to get better. He has significantly raised his ceiling, in my opinion. With his tentativeness and poor shooting early on, I thought he might merely be a role player or borderline starter. I now think he can be a bonafide star. Maybe not in the Dwayne Wade category of uber-usage first option shot creators, but possibly as good as guys like Mitch Richmond, Rip Hamilton, Ray Allen, or Joe Johnson. Again, that's his ceiling. He'll probably pan out to be a little below those guys, but he looks to be a quality starter in this league and probably an All-Star at some point in his career.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#928 » by Induveca » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:18 pm

Kid has really impressed me in January.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#929 » by Illuminaire » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:22 pm

^+1

Excellent post.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#930 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:32 pm

DCsOwn wrote:
Ruzious wrote:It's fun to see a young player improving and becoming a good player. Now, would I still trade him for Ben McLemore? Oh yes. But I'm happy to have Beal on the team - always was.

I wouldn't, there's no reason to imo. They both project to be terrific players, Beal is actually younger btw, and Beal has a significantly more powerful build which allows him to deal with the physicality of this level remarkably well for a player his age, and I think he creates for himself better than McLemore does. People claim that McLemore is an elite athlete, but I don't think he rates anymore than slightly better than Beal does in that area (Beal is a criminaly underrated athlete and he demonstrated as much at the combine; We've also seen him almost put multiple NBA players in the rim over the last few weeks and demonstrate tremendous lateral quickness with well above average defense for a young player.) It'll be interesting to see what McLemore's athletic metrics are at the combine and there's no denying that he gets off the ground really well, but he doesn't have an especially devastating first step, he's not Wade in terms of changing ends, and even in terms of his vertical prowess, I dont think he'll do much better with his no step or two step vert than Brad. Maybe an inch or so either way.

McLemore appears a bit longer than Brad and he's had a much better first half of undoubtedly his only collegiate season than Brad, especially shooting the Ball, but remember, he's old for his present station, and some people simply acclimate themselves more quickly to things than others. That reality doesn't necessarily mean that those disparities are permanent. Remember, Beal shot the ball terrifically down the stretch of last season, throughout the SEC tourney and into the NCAA tournament. It was obviously just a matter of comfort in terms of regaining his touch from outside. Beal is shooting 54% from three this month in the NBA, making an impact offensively in the league at 19, he plays a very cerebral game, he's a tremendous, albeit underrated athlete, his character by all reports is spotless, he's a hard worker with apparent leadership skills, his teammates love him etc. I'm very, very comfortable holding onto the kid even if McLemore was readily available as a replacement.

I agree, I wouldn't trade Beal for an unproven college player who is older than Beal. Beal is looking like he could be a legit star one day and maybe one of the best SG's in the NBA. Wade, Manu, and Kobe are getting old and the only elite SG left is Harden. Beal one day could be one of those elite SG's
tontoz
RealGM

Post#931 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:40 pm

I was thinking about the Joe Johnson comparison the other day. I watched a lot of JJ and he was a big time ball stopper. The ball movement never flowed with the Hawks like it did with the Wizards last night. JJ also didn't get to the rim/ft line much.

If Beal can get close to that level as a player i think he will be more beneficial to the team because he doesn't have the negatives that JJ had. Beal is decisive even at 19. At that age you would think there would be times when he would be holding the ball thinking about what to do but he never does. He just reacts.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#932 » by DCZards » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:07 pm

Yup, Double B has the potential to be a star. But hasn't that always been kinda obvious? I think it was. Even when he was struggling with his shot and the Zards were mired in a dreaded losing streak, Beal's composure and body language always suggested, at least to me, that there was something special about the kid.

Beal's all-around game--almost from Day One--belied the fact that he was just 19 years old. Early on, I compared Beal to Mitch Richmond .... and since "The Rock" is one of my all-time favorite NBA players and personalities, I'm sticking with that comparison.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#933 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:21 pm

DCZards wrote:Yup, Double B has the potential to be a star. But hasn't that always been kinda obvious? I think it was. Even when he was struggling with his shot and the Zards were mired in a dreaded losing streak, Beal's composure and body language always suggested, at least to me, that there was something special about the kid.

Beal's composure and body language suggested to me that he would make it in this league, but I had doubts on whether he would make it as a star, or merely as a role player because his shooting was so bad. His extremely poor shooting early on, coupled with his less-than-stellar shooting in college made me wonder if he was really the shooter he was touted to be. I said all along that if his shot improved, then the sky is the limit.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,302

Post#934 » by dobrojim » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:25 pm

Paul George says Hi
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
tontoz
RealGM

Post#935 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:30 pm

So far he has looked better than i thought he would. Before the season started i resolved to give him a free pass for poor play for the first half of the season because he is so young. Playing in the NBA has to be a bit intimidating at first.

But the NBA season is long and they play a lot of games. After awhile guys stop thinking about playing against Kobe/Harden/whoever and just play their game.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#936 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:36 pm

DCZards wrote:Yup, Double B has the potential to be a star. But hasn't that always been kinda obvious? I think it was. Even when he was struggling with his shot and the Zards were mired in a dreaded losing streak, Beal's composure and body language always suggested, at least to me, that there was something special about the kid.

Beal's all-around game--almost from Day One--belied the fact that he was just 19 years old. Early on, I compared Beal to Mitch Richmond .... and since "The Rock" is one of my all-time favorite NBA players and personalities, I'm sticking with that comparison.

Since Mitch was on the west coast i didn't really see him much at his best. But his numbers sure look nice. I think i could live with that kind of production. :D
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#937 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:41 pm

My opinion of Beal hasn't changed from day 1 - He's going to be a very good solid starting player. I don't see greatness in him. I see a poor man's Harden - especially when they were matched up against each other - a very smart controlled player with good - not great all-around skills and solid - but not top athleticism and size. When you watch a couple games of McLemore, you see what great athleticism is - with a great shooting touch and relatively the same as Beal in other categories. I'm not knocking Beal - I'm a fan of his. That's just what I see in honestly evaluating potential, fwiw.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#938 » by jivelikenice » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:49 pm

I didn't see greatness in him at first but now I'm unsure. His ability to be great will be based on growth in his dribble drive game, continued improvement of a floater, and his ability to play to his athletic measurables. I can see him easily becoming a 22 ppg guy....Greatness will depend on if he shows that you can just hand him the ball and he'll find a way to score.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#939 » by Illuminaire » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Greatness could also stem from him continuing to develop as a defensive stopper. A solid all-around offensive game + great defense is a pretty fantastic package, and would tend to cost less than an offensive star.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#940 » by Nivek » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:05 pm

I took a look at Beal over at the blog.

Summary: he's a shade better than average for a teen rookie guard. The numbers don't really give a strong indication one way or the other about how good he'll be. He's kinda in this middle territory where some guys turned out good, and some didn't.

My thoughts on him haven't changed. I still think he's going to be good. He'll need to work on his game and his body, but I think he'll do the work.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.

Return to Washington Wizards