ImageImageImageImageImage

Bradley Beal

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Re: Bradley Beal 

Post#81 » by DCZards » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:11 pm

dobrojim wrote:You gotta simply love the fact that this is where he really preferred being.

Yup, this is where Beal wanted to be. You saw how he pointed skyward when they called his name as the Wizards pick. Give thanks.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#82 » by tontoz » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:35 pm

I think some of these predicitons are too optimistic, similar to the predictions for Wall before last season.

If Beal was deferring to upperclassmen in college he is probably going to be deferring to his teamates in the NBA, at least initially. I remember in the first half of Wall's rookie year he rarely drove in the half court set. It seemed like the only time he went to the rim was on the break.

Then midway through the season all of a sudden he started attacking.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#83 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:50 pm

TGW wrote:
7-Day Dray wrote:He'll be a good deal better than Crawford next yr, but by default. Crawford sucks, so that's not saying much.

I just don't see why so many people are getting hyped up over this kid. He'll be a solid player, but I don't see any "star" potential. We have no shot winning a championship anytime soon.

At least the Thunder and Spurs wanted him. That's a good sign. There must be something in him that I'm not seeing that so many team w/ a good track record saw in him.

The Spurs and Thunder wanted him because he has a workman-type attitude, with a pure j, and he rebounds which means he's tough as nails. He's definitely more Joe Dumars than Ray Allen, and I think those high-level teams see that in him. Cleveland wanted him badly too.

If you really want to cut right to the chase, players who do more than just shoot the ball are better players and better teammates. If a guy will rebound that means he will play physically, thus the workmanlike attitude you mentioned, TGW. It really is about toughness. If Beal comes in and is in the mold of a Joe Dumars or Mitch Richmond, that guy will be a Wizard for the next 8-10 years and he will be a very popular player who adds to a winning culture.

Beal sounds like he comes from a good family. Everybody has BB for their initials :) … Dad is Bobby Beal. Mom's named Besta. Brothers are named Brandon and Bruce. Both older brothers played NCAA D 1 football. Dad played football. Mom played basketball. That would make him another momma's boy? Gotta be an attitude upgrade, though. (But I still like Javale, a lot.) As I see from my sons, the baby boy is tougher and better in sports. He is more competitive and always trying to get the better of his much bigger, stronger brother. Don't know why, but the youngest are usually the better athletes. Sullinger is the same way IIRC. Athletic family but he is the best. Cody Zeller will also be the best of the Zellers. Looking way back, I would argue Brent was the most athletic and perhaps best of the Barry brothers. I bet it probably has to do with skills developed at an early age.

Beal is going to be a tough kid. I know that much already. I think he will be great teammate. I do not see explosive quicks or length for him to become an elite player, but I think he might have the shooting skill in time to prove me wrong.
Bye bye Beal.
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#84 » by 7-Day Dray » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:55 pm

All I see is a poor man's Ray Allen.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#85 » by Halcyon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:12 pm

7-Day Dray wrote:All I see is a poor man's Ray Allen.

You say that as if that's a bad thing. You do know Ray Allen is a 1st ballot HOFer right?
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#86 » by Dat2U » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:17 pm

I like the Mitch Richmond comparison as far as his best case scenario. Maybe an older version of JRich as his worst case.

With Beal, I wonder how good his shot really is. If it's as pure as Kyrie Irving's jumper I'd be very happy.

Also, how much better can his handle get? Apparently he was more of a creator off the dribble in high school and was comfortable with the ball in hands before moving off the ball at UF. So is there more ball skill there than he actually showed?
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#87 » by 7-Day Dray » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:18 pm

Halcyon wrote:

You say that as if that's a bad thing. You do know Ray Allen is a 1st ballot HOFer right?

The key phrase is "poor man's." A poor man's Ray Allen is not a Hall of Famer.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#88 » by Halcyon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:21 pm

7-Day Dray wrote:
Halcyon wrote:

The key phrase is "poor man's". A poor man's Ray Allen is not a Hall of Famer.

RIght...but it doesn't mean he can't be an all-star caliber player. I know you were fixated on high ceiling guys like Drummond so a guy like Beal is not the most appealing, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#89 » by Upper Decker » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:18 pm

Kobe is a poor man's Jordan
Howard is a poor man's Shaq
Lebron is a poor mans's Magic
Beal is a poor man's Allen
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#90 » by Upper Decker » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:40 pm

Mitch Richmond seems like the best comparison so I did a quick stat check to see how Beal compared to Richmond in college. Unfortunately Richmond went to JUCO for his Fresh/Soph years so we can't do a one-for-one comp, but his Junior year at KState matched well with Beal's Freshman year. Beal seems a little ahead of the curve as he's two years younger.

Code: Select all

Player      MIN    FG%    3P%    FT%    RPG   APG   TPG   BPG   SPG   PPG
Richmond    31.8   44.7   36.1   76.1   5.7   2.7   2.7   0.4   1.3   18.6
Brad Beal   34.6   44.5   33.9   76.9   6.7   2.2   2.1   0.8   1.4   14.8
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#91 » by hands11 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:44 pm

sfam wrote:
hands11 wrote:awwww... Good Morning Wizards fans

Beauftiful day with the sun shining
Warm cup of coffee

and oh

We have BEAL :D

Beal definitely makes the day brighter. Now we can speculate how long it will be before he gets comfortable with the NBA game. I say that NLT December he's the starting SG. I hope its earlier, but certainly NLT December.

Thing is we know from how he approached thing at Florida that he will not step on toes and we know Randy will bring him along. And then at some point Randy will do like he did with Kevin... he will unleash the beast. Beal will fit in just fine.
hands11
Banned User

Post#92 » by hands11 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:50 pm

7-Day Dray wrote:He'll be a good deal better than Crawford next yr, but by default. Crawford sucks, so that's not saying much.

I just don't see why so many people are getting hyped up over this kid. He'll be a solid player, but I don't see any "star" potential. We have no shot winning a championship anytime soon.

At least the Thunder and Spurs wanted him. That's a good sign. There must be something in him that I'm not seeing that so many team w/ a good track record saw in him.

Wisest thing you have posted in a while. Self reflection is good sometimes.

How about this. Jump on the bus and enjoy it. Try giving the benefit of the doubt for the season and then when the season is over, if we were all wrong, you can do a big I told you so. If not, think of all the fun you could have for a year being happy seeing the brighter side. Cuz you know what... things are looking a lot better and we got a really good player. May as well start enjoying it now.

Someone told me something a long time ago. Would you rather be right or be happy. Just be happy my friend. Try it out. You might start to enjoy it.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#93 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:51 pm

You've got to BEALieve! If you Bealieve, all things will be goodah! Hare Bradley; Bradley Krishna; Bradley Rama; Ramarama Dingdong.

Now give me all your wordly possessions to prove you Bealieve, and things will be even better.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
hands11
Banned User

Post#94 » by hands11 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:53 pm

GUYANNAGRIZZLI wrote:Glad Bobcats draft the wrong guy again
Wiz aquired a futur all-star and best scorer of this draft
Ernie is a intelligent GM

They drafted the right guy for them. MKGs motor and will to win is exactly what they needed. Even with a questionable J. They picked correctly. Him or Robinson were the right pick for them. Beal was the right pick for the Wizards.

Since Ted has purchased the the Ted, we have seen some lucky moments.
hands11
Banned User

Post#95 » by hands11 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:58 pm

Ruzious wrote:You've got to BEALieve! If you Bealieve, all things will be goodah! Hare Bradley; Bradley Krishna; Bradley Rama; Ramarama Dingdong.

Now give me all your wordly possessions to prove you Bealieve, and things will be even better.

The Real Deal Beal
Bickerstaff
Senior
And1: 3

Post#96 » by Bickerstaff » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:16 pm

I think this is my favorite thing I've ever read on any sports site. I'm sorry the Wizards couldn't draft a rich man's Michael Jordan for you this year, 7-Day Dray. But then, you'd have probably been mad they didn't draft 2 rich man's Michael Jordans.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#97 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:28 pm

Bickerstaff wrote:

I think this is my favorite thing I've ever read on any sports site. I'm sorry the Wizards couldn't draft a rich man's Michael Jordan for you this year, 7-Day Dray. But then, you'd have probably been mad they didn't draft 2 rich man's Michael Jordans.

Nah, they should get that in the second round.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#98 » by dangermouse » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:29 am

hands11 wrote:Thing is we know from how he approached thing at Florida that he will not step on toes and we know Randy will bring him along. And then at some point Randy will do like he did with Kevin... he will unleash the beast.

7-Day Dray wrote:At least the Thunder and Spurs wanted him. That's a good sign. There must be something in him that I'm not seeing that so many team w/ a good track record saw in him.

Just food for thought: Seraphin was also another guy that the Spurs were interested in (and another team... may have even been OKC, hard to remember from a year ago). That worked out well for us... so there ya go.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#99 » by doclinkin » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:00 am

dangermouse wrote:
Just food for thought: Seraphin was also another guy that the Spurs were interested in (and another team... may have even been OKC, hard to remember from a year ago). That worked out well for us... so there ya go.

Portland was trying to trade up for him.
fugop
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#100 » by fugop » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:00 pm

He seems like a decent fellow, and I'll have no problem rooting for him. That's about all I can ask for now. I hope he can play.

Return to Washington Wizards