Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 2

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 2 

Post#1141 » by fishercob » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:48 pm

Nivek wrote:
fishercob wrote:Not trying to troll our buddy Ruzious, but one has to wonder about the Bucks' future in Milwaukee.

They couldn't sell out a home playoff game against the Heat! There were reportedly huge chunks of empty seats in the upper bowl. On TV, it's conspicuous how few of the fans are in team colors. I am guessing some of that is due to their ugly uni's, but there's clearly a ton of fan apathy there. That doesn't bode well for their desire for a new downtown arena, and we all know where that discussion leads.

They have just woefully miscalculated the benefits of mediocrity, instead of deciding to get bad to give themselves a shot at getting good.

I pretty much expect to see more or less this same post on another team's message board after next season. Written about the Wizards.

I understand the comfort in the cynicism, but no. Wizards fans show up. Even if there are big swaths of opposing fans for marquee opponents, those games always sell out. Our playoff games were always sold out, loud and proud during the EJ years. If we make the playoffs next year the atmosphere will be phenomenal -- DC is an event driven town.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#1142 » by Nivek » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:56 pm

I didn't edit that quote correctly. :) I just meant that last sentence -- the part about miscalculating the benefits of mediocrity. Wizards drew about 1300 more fans per game this season than Milwaukee did, even though the competitive portion of the Wizards season ended in December. And Verizon Center gets crowded and rowdy in the playoffs.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1143 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:38 pm

I would hope DC would draw a LOT more than Milwaukee. Milwaukee's a very small market with a lot lower income. Per capita, I'd say they support the Bucks better than DC supports the Zards. Just look at their board to see how passionate they are. They have probably several times more traffic there than we have here.

And it's a different situation for them vs when the Wiz made the playoffs. Milwaukee has zero chance, and there's not the excitement of building a team around a superstar like Arenas. There's no glory in getting destroyed 4-0. Hope is a selling point. No hope is not a selling point.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1144 » by fishercob » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Ruzious wrote:I would hope DC would draw a LOT more than Milwaukee. Milwaukee's a very small market with a lot lower income. Per capita, I'd say they support the Bucks better than DC supports the Zards. Just look at their board to see how passionate they are. They have probably several times more traffic there than we have here.

And it's a different situation for them vs when the Wiz made the playoffs. Milwaukee has zero chance, and there's not the excitement of building a team around a superstar like Arenas. There's no glory in getting destroyed 4-0. Hope is a selling point. No hope is not a selling point.

DC has lots of alternatives to the Wizards. Pro football, hockey, baseball, soccer. 4 FourD-1 hoops teams inside the Beltway. Tons of cultural non-sports offerings. I'm sure Milwaukee is a lovely town, but there's nowhere near the "competitive landscape" for fan attention that there is here. That was the thrust of the first tweet I saw -- something to the effect of "how are there so many empty seats -- what else are people in Milwaukee doing on a Thursday night?"
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1145 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:04 pm

fishercob wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I would hope DC would draw a LOT more than Milwaukee. Milwaukee's a very small market with a lot lower income. Per capita, I'd say they support the Bucks better than DC supports the Zards. Just look at their board to see how passionate they are. They have probably several times more traffic there than we have here.

DC has lots of alternatives to the Wizards. Pro football, hockey, baseball, soccer. 4 FourD-1 hoops teams inside the Beltway. Tons of cultural non-sports offerings. I'm sure Milwaukee is a lovely town, but there's nowhere near the "competitive landscape" for fan attention that there is here. That was the thrust of the first tweet I saw -- something to the effect of "how are there so many empty seats -- what else are people in Milwaukee doing on a Thursday night?"

I would suggest you post that thought and question exactly how you worded it - on the Bucks forum. I'll pop some popcorn, get some brots and beer ready, and enjoy some education.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#1146 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:56 am

Ruzious wrote:
Nivek wrote:
fishercob wrote:Not trying to troll our buddy Ruzious, but one has to wonder about the Bucks' future in Milwaukee.

They couldn't sell out a home playoff game against the Heat! There were reportedly huge chunks of empty seats in the upper bowl. On TV, it's conspicuous how few of the fans are in team colors. I am guessing some of that is due to their ugly uni's, but there's clearly a ton of fan apathy there. That doesn't bode well for their desire for a new downtown arena, and we all know where that discussion leads.

They have just woefully miscalculated the benefits of mediocrity, instead of deciding to get bad to give themselves a shot at getting good.

I pretty much expect to see more or less this same post on another team's message board after next season. Written about the Wizards.

Washington's even worse - they strive to be like Milwaukee and can't even get there.

Washington is in a lot better shape with Wall and Beal as foundational pieces of their team, and with both Ariza and Okafor expiring contracts.

They do seem to be in a grand hurry to strive for mediocrity with Randy Wittman as coach and both he and John Wall wanting to add a veteran more than to add YOUNG TALENT with the #8 pick. If they do that and they extend Okafor and/or Ariza longterm, then Nivek, I completely agree with you. Mediocrity for the long haul will be the course they choose. If Ted keeps EG it's pretty much going to go that way.

The optimist in me thinks that Mr. Leonsis has someone influential that will read what I posted in the past and what I am still saying: Troy Weaver as executive, Dave Joerger as coach, expect to compete for championships in 3 years or less.

Draft a good, solid dude with #8. Porter, Len, Olynyk, McCollum -- you won't go wrong with these guys. Avoid prima donnas and one-way players, which I believe there are two who I won't name. You don't need Burke but he would make a TERRIFIC draft-for-someone-else player.

(If I were drafting as of today I would draft Olynyk, Wolters, and Marshall. I think I'd take the sharp guy over big Alex.)
Bye bye Beal.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,766

Post#1147 » by Rafael122 » Mon May 6, 2013 8:57 pm

Larry Drew and Vinny del Negro will reportedly be fired. Off the top of my head that's at least 10 job openings:

Milwaukee
Brooklyn
LA Clippers
Atlanta
Phoenix
Cleveland
Charlotte
Sacramento
Detroit
Philadelphia

Might be missing a couple. I'm sure Brian Shaw will finally get a coaching gig, Nate McMillan will probably be back. I wouldn't be surprised if if the coaches that were fired all play musical chairs and get another job.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,604

Post#1148 » by pancakes3 » Mon May 6, 2013 9:02 pm

Not only is that a lot of open spots, there are a lot of exciting places to coach. The clippers, pistons, and even the cavaliers are what I consider "good" gigs for a coach eager to prove himself.
Bullets -> Wizards
jimij
Analyst
And1: 18

Post#1149 » by jimij » Wed May 8, 2013 2:43 pm

Nivek wrote:I didn't edit that quote correctly. :) I just meant that last sentence -- the part about miscalculating the benefits of mediocrity. Wizards drew about 1300 more fans per game this season than Milwaukee did, even though the competitive portion of the Wizards season ended in December. And Verizon Center gets crowded and rowdy in the playoffs.

Are you saying we were "competitive" in Nov/Dec???? :roll:
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1150 » by LyricalRico » Wed May 8, 2013 10:48 pm

Didn't CLE already hire Mike Brown...again?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,766

Post#1151 » by Rafael122 » Wed May 8, 2013 11:38 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Didn't CLE already hire Mike Brown...again?

Ah, you're right.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#1152 » by Nivek » Thu May 9, 2013 2:39 pm

jimij wrote:
Nivek wrote:I didn't edit that quote correctly. :) I just meant that last sentence -- the part about miscalculating the benefits of mediocrity. Wizards drew about 1300 more fans per game this season than Milwaukee did, even though the competitive portion of the Wizards season ended in December. And Verizon Center gets crowded and rowdy in the playoffs.

Yes.

With history.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,604

Post#1153 » by pancakes3 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:37 pm

If Dirk is indeed willing to take a paycut, it'd be interesting to see what moves they can pull.
Bullets -> Wizards
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1154 » by LyricalRico » Thu May 16, 2013 4:51 pm

pancakes3 wrote:If Dirk is indeed willing to take a paycut, it'd be interesting to see what moves they can pull.

Looks like they'll have a decent chunk of cap space (although not max unless they renounce Collison and Beaubous), and they also have a decent expiring in Marion (around $9M). Dallas could be a nice landing spot for Paul Pierce IMO.
Deeptu McPullup
Junior
And1: 28

Post#1155 » by Deeptu McPullup » Thu May 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Good thing I was already sitting down when I looked up at the wiretap:

Hinkie Looking Forward To Interviewing Top Draft Prospects

:o

Story of the year!
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#1156 » by montestewart » Thu May 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Deeptu McPullup wrote:Good thing I was already sitting down when I looked up at the wiretap:

Hinkie Looking Forward To Interviewing Top Draft Prospects

:o

Story of the year!

In the coming years, he'll steal moments to languidly linger with fond affection upon the memory of these innocent and special encounters.

Who's writing these headlines?
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1157 » by LyricalRico » Thu May 16, 2013 5:55 pm

Minny apparently looking to add outside shooting. They also need depth in the middle. Might they consider something like Ariza+Seraphin for Kirilenko? If they could also find a way to end up with a guy like Kevin Martin, they'd look pretty good.

Pekovic/Seraphin
Love/Williams
Ariza/Budinger
Martin/Shved
Rubio/Ridnour/Barea

If they could also package Barea+Williams for a defender at PF, even better.

For the Wiz, I think it makes us better at PF and it provides a guy that could possibly help reach Vesely. I'd then see if we could also move Nene and break his deal up into improved bench depth.

Okafor
Kirilenko
Webster
Beal
Wall
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,301

Post#1158 » by dobrojim » Thu May 16, 2013 7:49 pm

jimij wrote:

I was thinking along somewhat similar lines....really we weren't competitive until
the season was already lost ie when Wall came back.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#1159 » by verbal8 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:41 pm

pancakes3 wrote:If Dirk is indeed willing to take a paycut, it'd be interesting to see what moves they can pull.

I think Cuban might be thinking Dwight and Paul. Not saying it would happen, but it would be a lot like what the lakers were trying to do this season. If they somehow kept Marion that would be a really good team.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1160 » by LyricalRico » Fri May 17, 2013 4:13 pm

One clarification I read on the Dirk paycut offer is that he's talking about his next contract - not renegotiating the last year of his current deal. He's still on the books for $22M next season, but he'll be willing to re-sign for another 2 or 3 years in 2014 at a significantly reduced annual rate. (Basically what KG did in Boston - going from around $20M to closer to $10M so they could sign guys like Jeff Green and Jason Terry.)

The one way it could impact them this summer is allowing them to trade Marion's $9M expiring for a better player with multiple years left on his deal (or that is a FA in a sign-and-trade). Then Dirk eases the longterm financial strain by taking his paycut next year.

Marion+pick for Nene? Could be attractive if they signed Chris Paul.

Return to Washington Wizards