Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 2

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 2 

Post#21 » by miller31time » Thu Jul 5, 2012 2:01 am

As a basketball fan, I really can't wait to watch Nash on the Lakers. He's going to be incredible for that team. Expect career highs in efficiency for Gasol and Bynum.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#22 » by pancakes3 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 2:11 am

i'm anticipating career highs in efficiency for Kobe. Nash turned Frye into a 3 point threat for goodness sake. kobe might post his first 40+ 3p% year of his career next season.
Bullets -> Wizards
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#23 » by dangermouse » Thu Jul 5, 2012 2:19 am

Lakers should be shopping Bynum and Gasol hard. Dwight on that team would be insane. It almost wouldnt be fair. At least the Heat wouldnt win another one. Maybe he signs there, i doubt it since he wants to be the alpha, but even just for this season it would be good.

I wonder what Dallas will do now?
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#24 » by sfam » Thu Jul 5, 2012 2:28 am

dangermouse wrote:Lakers should be shopping Bynum and Gasol hard. Dwight on that team would be insane. It almost wouldnt be fair. At least the Heat wouldnt win another one. Maybe he signs there, i doubt it since he wants to be the alpha, but even just for this season it would be good.

I wonder what Dallas will do now?

I'd imagine they start pushing hard for Jeremy Lin.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#25 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 2:47 am

Biggest loser in all of this is Toronto. They signed Landry Fields in an attempt to put the kibosh on any sign and trade between the Knicks and Suns and now the Raps are stuck with Fields. Awful awful play by Bryan Colangelo and I have no clue why the Knicks didn't trade Shump for Nash. Shump is out until January anyway.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#26 » by keynote » Thu Jul 5, 2012 3:30 am

So, should the Lakers go all-in and trade Bynum for Howard? This team clearly only has a 2-3 year window, and they'd definitely benefit from the defensive upgrade. And they'd have a very good chance at re-signing Howard next year (Howard would have to think twice before leaving a team w/ Nash, Kobe & Gasol in glamorous LA to sign somewhere else for less $ next year).

Of course, I have no idea if they can afford to pay all those guys at once.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#27 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 3:32 am

keynote wrote:So, should the Lakers go all-in and trade Bynum for Howard? This team clearly only has a 2-3 year window, and they'd definitely benefit from the defensive upgrade. And they'd have a very good chance at re-signing Howard next year (Howard would have to think twice before leaving a team w/ Nash, Kobe & Gasol in glamorous LA to sign somewhere else for less $ next year).

Yes. Absolutely. Without question.

Get Howard. Guaranteed championship.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#28 » by keynote » Thu Jul 5, 2012 3:33 am

On a side note: has there ever been a more highly-decorated backcourt? Three MVPs, 22 All-Star appearances, and 13 All-NBA First Team appearances? Whew.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#29 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jul 5, 2012 3:41 am

sfam wrote:
sashae wrote:So much for that! Steve Nash to the Lakers in sign and trade.

That totally makes sense for both Nash and the Lakers. The Lakers have a coach who's not great at offensive thinking, so here comes one of the best PGs who can solve that problem. Will be interesting to see what they get for Gasol now.

So, does this mean Ramon Sessions won't be back? And what about Steve Blake's minutes? :o
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#30 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Jul 5, 2012 3:43 am

I would actually be pleased to see Howard head out west to the Lakers and sign an extension. Fairly nauseating on some levels, but nauseating several time zones away in the other conference.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#31 » by miller31time » Thu Jul 5, 2012 3:51 am

miller31time wrote:This Gordon situation is pretty interesting.

On one hand, Gordon is giving public statements saying that Phoenix is where he wants to be and that he'll be very happy there. But on the other hand, New Orleans (or so I thought) is expected to match any offer for him.

Either he absolutely hates New Orleans or doesn't understand that the Hornets can match the offer sheet by Phoenix.

So turns out New Orleans DID in fact match the Suns' offer sheet and will be keeping Eric Gordon who is now unhappy with his situation in the big easy.

His heart may be in Phoenix but his ass is staying in NOLA.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#32 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 3:55 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
sfam wrote:
sashae wrote:So much for that! Steve Nash to the Lakers in sign and trade.

That totally makes sense for both Nash and the Lakers. The Lakers have a coach who's not great at offensive thinking, so here comes one of the best PGs who can solve that problem. Will be interesting to see what they get for Gasol now.

So, does this mean Ramon Sessions won't be back? And what about Steve Blake's minutes? :o

LAL aren't pursuing Sessions any longer... tough for him as he wanted to stay in LA.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#33 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Jul 5, 2012 5:17 am

ESPNSteinLine Going online now: Suns move quickly after Steve Nash trade and strike four-year deal with Goran Dragic worth $34 million, sources tell ESPN

I totally read that as Gortat signing a four year extension with the Suns. I was like "wow, that's a GREEEAAT deal!"

I even posted as much. Doh! :oops:

No, not such a great deal at all, though hardly shocking at this point.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#34 » by dangermouse » Thu Jul 5, 2012 6:03 am

With all these crazy deals being given out, maybe now is the time to amnesty Blatche instead of hoping to raise his trade value or whatever the plan is. Hasheem Thabeet and Supercool Beas just got contracts, so...

Some GM is likely to see he still has potential and sign him up, and leave Ted paying like 1/3 of the original deal...

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#35 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Jul 5, 2012 6:27 am

Rafael122 wrote:Biggest loser in all of this is Toronto. They signed Landry Fields in an attempt to put the kibosh on any sign and trade between the Knicks and Suns and now the Raps are stuck with Fields. Awful awful play by Bryan Colangelo and I have no clue why the Knicks didn't trade Shump for Nash. Shump is out until January anyway.

One key for the Knicks not putting together a deal, is that I think it was near impossible for them to get both Nash and Lin. If I'm not mistaken matching Lin had to come by way of their non taxpaying MLE and I couldn't find a way to fit Nash, Melo, Amare, Chandler and ghost cap hits while leaving MLE level room under the tax
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#36 » by Severn Hoos » Thu Jul 5, 2012 11:16 am

keynote wrote:On a side note: has there ever been a more highly-decorated backcourt? Three MVPs, 22 All-Star appearances, and 13 All-NBA First Team appearances? Whew.

Hope they enjoy it now, because Wall/Beal is coming up fast in their rear view mirror!
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#37 » by verbal8 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 11:25 am

At this point I think Howard for Bynum makes a ton of sense for the Lakers. Is an extend and trade possible? Adding 2 years(last player option) could be great for both Howard and the Lakers. It gives Howard some security of a long term deal and at the same time giving him a reasonable out if Nash and Bryant are washed up.

The major downside would be the potential to have the Dwight Howard Soap Opera Episode 27(? is that the one we are on at this point).

nate33 wrote:
keynote wrote:So, should the Lakers go all-in and trade Bynum for Howard? This team clearly only has a 2-3 year window, and they'd definitely benefit from the defensive upgrade. And they'd have a very good chance at re-signing Howard next year (Howard would have to think twice before leaving a team w/ Nash, Kobe & Gasol in glamorous LA to sign somewhere else for less $ next year).

Yes. Absolutely. Without question.

Get Howard. Guaranteed championship.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#38 » by hands11 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 1:21 pm

Nash to LAL ... very interesting.

Should be interesting to see how this affects the Howard and Bynum situation.
I could argue it from either side. He could make Bynum even better.

At least he is not traded into our conference. Not to Miami. Not to New York.

Both Howard and Bynum are both a PITA to deal with. Howard is a drama queen. Bynum is still young and immature. Neither has any loyalty to any actual team. But Bynum has been injured and missed a lot of time. Something about what I see in him when I see him run says he is to lumbering and will pull up injured again and he will slow down before his age dictates he should. He lumbers like Haywood used to. And he is already starting to gray. LAL should trade him if they can get Howard. If Howard was smart he should be happy in LAL because it will eventually become his team and LAL has shown they will spend and add the players they need. And in the short term he can play with Nash and Kobe and challenge deep into the playoffs.

Nash, Koke and Howard vs Wade, LeBron and Bosh. LAL would be build more like a powerhouse Eastern team with a PG, SG and Center and Meta to cover LeBron. The match up against Boston would be interesting. Rondo, PP, and KG. And if Ray Allen stays Boston would still be in it.

The league still had lots of older player who are challenging at the top. Youth is nice to have but experienced talent still seems to be very important. Add in Duncan, Manu, Parker, Kidd, Dirk. Old school dude are still balln.

Teams like OKC and LAC are trying to get there but you still have to get past 4-5 teams that have a lot of experience and with a few tweaks any given year they can reload and win it all.

Hopefully the Wizards can jump a tier this year and get into that Indy, LAC range of things. Then they can start to pull in bigger name players. Or they luck out and Wall blows up and they become a Chicago. Having Wall does keep things kind of fluid regarding how fair they can leap. He is that mega talent type player that can pull a team along if he reaches his potential.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#39 » by verbal8 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 1:51 pm

hands11 wrote:Nash to LAL ... very interesting.

Should be interesting to see how this affects the Howard and Bynum situation.
I could argue it from either side. He could make Bynum even better.

hands11 wrote:At least he is not traded into our conference. Not to Miami. Not to New York.

I don't think Nash matters too much to the Wizards. I think even the most optimistic think we are a couple years away from being a contender. We need Wall and at least one of Beal or Serpahin to develop into elite players. At that point Nash will probably be retired.

I think playing more often against one of the all time great PGs would help rather than hinder Wall's development.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#40 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 2:06 pm

Yeah, the Nash situation is great. It'll be even better if Howard joins LA. The East will remain weak so things are easier for the Wizards, yet Miami might be thwarted from winning another championship for a couple of years. It's the best of both worlds! And to top it off, LA should fizzle by the time we become contenders.

Return to Washington Wizards