ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 2

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 2 

Post#781 » by Nivek » Thu Nov 1, 2012 5:59 pm

Getting to Rondo's level last season (which was actually a small step back for Rondo) would require a 42-point jump for Wall in my rating system. Which would put him into that $50-60 million range over 4 years ($53.4 million, according to the salary formula).
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#782 » by MJG » Thu Nov 1, 2012 6:02 pm

JAR69 wrote:
MJG wrote:Through two years, Wall has been an average starting PG level player. He's also only played 69 and 66 games in those two seasons, and at best will play a similar number this year.

Wall playing 66 games last year makes him stout, not brittle. The season, of course, was only 66 games long, with many back-to-backs and back-to-back-to-backs.

Arg, I can only imagine how many times I'll make that mistake again in the future. Thanks though, I put an edit in my post.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#783 » by montestewart » Thu Nov 1, 2012 6:13 pm

JAR69 wrote:
MJG wrote:Through two years, Wall has been an average starting PG level player. He's also only played 69 and 66 games in those two seasons, and at best will play a similar number this year.

Wall playing 66 games last year makes him stout, not brittle. The season, of course, was only 66 games long, with many back-to-backs and back-to-back-to-backs.

True, but is he now showing the effects of that grueling season? Anyway, I don't have enough information to write him off as any sort of chronic injury risk. I'm thinking more about actual production and reasonable future projections a lot more than injuries.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#784 » by tontoz » Thu Nov 1, 2012 6:23 pm

Outside of 3 feet Wall is basically a 30% shooter. That just isn't going to get it done. I don't know this for sure but i think his jumper has been worse than Rondo's during Rondo's first two seasons.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,775

Post#785 » by Rafael122 » Thu Nov 1, 2012 6:28 pm

I say based on Jrue's deal, contract will probably top off at $50 mil for Wall.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#786 » by Nivek » Thu Nov 1, 2012 6:50 pm

tontoz wrote:Outside of 3 feet Wall is basically a 30% shooter. That just isn't going to get it done. I don't know this for sure but i think his jumper has been worse than Rondo's during Rondo's first two seasons.

Wall and Rondo: shooting percentages on 2pt attempts from 3+ feet during the first two years of their career:

Wall: .296
Rondo: .394

Rondo shot .317 as a rookie and got better. 43% in year two. Just eyeballing the numbers, it looks like he's largely hovered around 40% from 3+ feet. Wall shot .297 from that range as a rookie; .294 in year two.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#787 » by tontoz » Thu Nov 1, 2012 7:00 pm

Nivek wrote:
tontoz wrote:Outside of 3 feet Wall is basically a 30% shooter. That just isn't going to get it done. I don't know this for sure but i think his jumper has been worse than Rondo's during Rondo's first two seasons.

Wall and Rondo: shooting percentages on 2pt attempts from 3+ feet during the first two years of their career:

Wall: .296
Rondo: .394

Rondo shot .317 as a rookie and got better. 43% in year two. Just eyeballing the numbers, it looks like he's largely hovered around 40% from 3+ feet. Wall shot .297 from that range as a rookie; .294 in year two.

Ugh. not pretty but thanks for the info.

Granted Rondo had the benefit of muuuuch better teamates in his second season which surely accounts for some of the improvement but not all of it.

Wall could improve his shot significantly this year and still be bad. :(
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#788 » by Nivek » Thu Nov 1, 2012 7:07 pm

Biggest thing that improves shooting is hard work on shooting with good technique. Thousands and thousands of jumpers during an offseason. Rondo shot as bad as Wall in his rookie year, and made it to adequate a year later. Wall could make that same improvement if he's put in the work.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

tontoz
RealGM

Post#789 » by tontoz » Thu Nov 1, 2012 7:20 pm

Nivek wrote:Biggest thing that improves shooting is hard work on shooting with good technique. Thousands and thousands of jumpers during an offseason. Rondo shot as bad as Wall in his rookie year, and made it to adequate a year later. Wall could make that same improvement if he's put in the work.

I don't like his technique. If he keeps practicing without trying to change his form he might not make much progress no matter how hard he works. I would bet he spent plenty of time practicing his shot before the last two seasons. I was encouraged by a quote in the summer that he would try to stop fading away but that is only part of his problem.

He also needs to develop a floater or a running jumper in the lane like Joe Johnson has. JJ is money with that shot.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#790 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Nov 1, 2012 9:44 pm

Nivek wrote:Biggest thing that improves shooting is hard work on shooting with good technique. Thousands and thousands of jumpers during an offseason. Rondo shot as bad as Wall in his rookie year, and made it to adequate a year later. Wall could make that same improvement if he's put in the work.

Right now would be a great time for Wall to be improving.

He cannot plant and jump or risk anything on his knee but he can shoot free throws. Wall can stand 5 feet from the rim and shoot with one hand, both left hand and right. All he has to do is release the ball right and swish, time after time--without putting and stress on the knee. He's rich enough where the Wizards should be able to put him in water, to take almost all he stress off his legs, but still shoot as described above.

Just like little kids are taught to lie flat on their back and shoot a basketball with the right back spin, Wall could be doing that with each hand. Over and over to the point it's locked in to his muscle memory. MO the reason Wall is such a crappy shooter is he is so blindingly fast. Dude's game is speed and I think he runs, walks, talks, and probably thinks fast.

John Wall needs to slow down and KNOW he's a good shooter. Practice can make that happen. Providing he doesn't put stress on his knees, Wall can be getting work in right now, especially, while he's slowed down. Most importantly, the guy can be practicing his mental game. I recall reading somewhere that visualization techniques can also help improve shooting.

I'm not an elite athlete. I cannot speak from any experience of playing at a high level. I would imagine his game shot, with somebody trying to stop him is completely different. Wall will have to get his stamina, NBA-level conditioning, and timing back once he heals up. I'm just saying his MIND can improve and he can also work on FUNDAMENTALS and SHOT MECHANICS. Most of all HE NEEDS CONFIDENCE and to shoot it without even thinking it won't go in. That's when his shot will improve.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#791 » by closg00 » Fri Nov 2, 2012 12:09 am

Speaking of signing players with an injury history, how about poor Eric Gordon?
RealGM

Post#792 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Nov 2, 2012 1:25 am

Don't give EG any ideas. He might do a sign&trade for Eric Gordon.
Bye bye Beal.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#793 » by Nivek » Fri Nov 2, 2012 4:47 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Right now would be a great time for Wall to be improving.

He cannot plant and jump or risk anything on his knee but he can shoot free throws. Wall can stand 5 feet from the rim and shoot with one hand, both left hand and right. All he has to do is release the ball right and swish, time after time--without putting and stress on the knee. He's rich enough where the Wizards should be able to put him in water, to take almost all he stress off his legs, but still shoot as described above.

Just like little kids are taught to lie flat on their back and shoot a basketball with the right back spin, Wall could be doing that with each hand. Over and over to the point it's locked in to his muscle memory. MO the reason Wall is such a crappy shooter is he is so blindingly fast. Dude's game is speed and I think he runs, walks, talks, and probably thinks fast.

John Wall needs to slow down and KNOW he's a good shooter. Practice can make that happen. Providing he doesn't put stress on his knees, Wall can be getting work in right now, especially, while he's slowed down. Most importantly, the guy can be practicing his mental game. I recall reading somewhere that visualization techniques can also help improve shooting.

I'm not an elite athlete. I cannot speak from any experience of playing at a high level. I would imagine his game shot, with somebody trying to stop him is completely different. Wall will have to get his stamina, NBA-level conditioning, and timing back once he heals up. I'm just saying his MIND can improve and he can also work on FUNDAMENTALS and SHOT MECHANICS. Most of all HE NEEDS CONFIDENCE and to shoot it without even thinking it won't go in. That's when his shot will improve.

That's the way to do it. That's how I learned to shoot. When I started playing again after a multi-year layoff, that's where I started -- standing a couple feet away shooting one-handed shots with focus on good form and follow through.

It's not identical to in-game shooting, but it builds the brain connection and improves his shooting in any situation.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#794 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Nov 2, 2012 4:59 pm

I went to Argentina as an exchange student in the mid eighties and "learned" to play basketball there. They wouldn't let me shoot jumpers with my left hand, which, it turns out, is the only hand where I can hold my hand flat with the elbow in front. My right arm for some reason is less flexible, so I learned to shoot with my elbow sticking out to the side. SMH. In practice I sucked but when I played pick up I would flip the ball up with my left hand without thinking with perfect form and rotation. Have the most BEAUTIFUL fifties sweeping hook shot you've ever seen in your life. But my jumper SUCKS.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#795 » by LyricalRico » Fri Nov 2, 2012 8:12 pm

Wow, the Eddy Curry era in Dallas coming to an end already? LOL
closg00
RealGM

Post#796 » by closg00 » Fri Nov 2, 2012 8:21 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Wow, the Eddy Curry era in Dallas coming to an end already? LOL

I don't know what is happening behind the scenes, but I thought Curry would at-least be a serviceable back-up. I guess not.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#797 » by verbal8 » Fri Nov 2, 2012 8:38 pm

closg00 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:Wow, the Eddy Curry era in Dallas coming to an end already? LOL

I don't know what is happening behind the scenes, but I thought Curry would at-least be a serviceable back-up. I guess not.

It might be the beginning of the McDyess era or it might be they thought Troy Murphy is a better option. Or possibly they are optimistic about Kaman returning soon. I really don't think any of those options will be drastically different in the result.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#798 » by Nivek » Fri Nov 2, 2012 8:46 pm

Even when Curry was "good," he wasn't. In his very brief stint with Dallas, he was awful. Don't know if I've ever seen a player with an offensive rating of 74 while shooting 50% from the floor. He had 4 made baskets with Dallas and 3 turnovers. More turnovers than made free throws. One fewer fouls than made field goals and rebounds combined.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

closg00
RealGM

Post#799 » by closg00 » Tue Nov 6, 2012 1:32 am

Johnny Flynn busted out of the NBA, he was the 6th pick in 2009 draft
RealGM

Post#800 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Nov 6, 2012 1:46 am

Parker Explains Why He Has Sacrificed Money To Remain With Spurs
Nov 05, 2012 7:54 PM EST

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... With_Spurs

Tony Parker, Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili each have signed contracts with the San Antonio Spurs for less than they would likely receive on the open market.

The Spurs have had those three players as their core for a decade and have successfully been able to reload their supporting cast.

"Everybody asks me that," Parker said Thursday. "I was talking with a couple of my friends and they were asking that. I was like, I don't know. I think it's just the atmosphere here, the family atmosphere. For me personally, why I did it was because, deep down in my heart I know Pop will take care of me until the end of my career. So that's why I felt like I can take less now and help the team out. And we were able to sign Danny [Green] and Boris [Diaw]. And I know when I get a little bit older, I know Pop will take care of me. I really feel that."

If James Harden had a Tim Duncan on the Thunder I believe he would have remained in OKC for less.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards